Maryland Fan Thoughts On The Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland Fan Thoughts On The Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
[
Regarding the imaginary game, the "ifs", it's hard for me to imagine KLS having a greater impact on the game than she did and the foul trouble that limited UConn's ability to contest, highlights the squad's primary weakness, lack of depth. My if is if De'Janae Boykin doesn't transfer, we have enough fouls to rotate bigs. Let's see how that game plays out.

IAC, winners all around. UConn's really bad for WCBB. I'm getting flashbacks to the Taurasi era enthusiasm, the streak really matters! MD were tough, are tough and gonna be tough going fwd. I hope this series continues.

She was sick. She was sick. She was sick. If she wasn't sick she probably shoots better from 3 because of her movement and legs. She probably defends and rebounds better. And "if" at least one of those joke fouls aren't called on NC (the 3rd foul and maybe even the 4th) - we would have more time with our starting 5 on the floor.

And if MD can't guard Lou when she is sick / throwing up - what makes one think when she is healthy and the combination of awful refs and dumb fouls by Collier and Gabby won't make the game much easier for UCONN and Lou and the team the next time?

Reaction Score
It seems to be natural to lament what could have been by expressing the ifs after a loss. It's hard for we UCONN fans to understand this because we are rarely on the losing side. I say we give TerpWF a break and just be thankful that we aren't often tempted to express similar thoughts.

No. He or she can do it. No problem with that.

And so can we. Why can't we do the same?

This is a board. We often talk about moves we think Coach Geno should make or other teams should make when they play us.

What is the difference here? He or she is saying "what if." So can we, right?

Reaction Score
Just can't let go of the "ifs", huh? :) As a Patriots fan, I well know that feeling after a very, very tough and significant loss.....
Brady taught me this lesson.

Reaction Score
Yes, I understand, Maryland's, 'Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda", but let us not forget the coaching on the court side line. Geno's positioning of his players, in the very end, was very instrumental in the win. He's the best, whether in women's college ball or { pro } Olympic ball.
'

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a push from some Maryland fans that the Terps need to start scheduling games against South Carolina, Baylor, Texas, Tennessee, etc. It will be good for the women game as we saw from the crowd last night. Love a home and home against UConn. We'll play Notre Dame, Louisville and Florida State in the ACC/Big 10 challenge.
Really agree with this - it is time for Brenda to step up and improve the OOC. She is not alone in that as there are a bunch of teams playing pretty poor OOC that should be challenging their teams more. But for MD, the Big Ten really isn't that competitive so the OOC being weak as well is not good. Hopefully with her young charges getting experience she will do it.

It is an issue not just for the competitive nature of the games, but for building real fan excitement - you have 17000 fans in the house last night that had a great if ultimately disappointing time. But that was 14,000 more than the average for the rest of the OOC home games, and they aren't going to show up again for a UMBC or St. Peter's. But get them in the habit by having ND, SC, and Baylor playing on your home court every other year and more of them are going to start coming to a Dayton, or a George Washington game as well. Baylor during the Griner years had a good OOC and seats were hard to come by - Kim after Sims graduated dropped any semblance of a challenging OOC and the attendance has started to fade. Sure wins are fun for true fanatics, but it starts becoming boring when you can beat a team by 100 points.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The difference in this game came down to coaching and each team's ability to make plays at "winning time." Connecticut makes plays at "winning time," they ran their modified Princeton offense and cut, screened and passed MD into making crucial mistakes. Time after time Connecticut players got wide open shots or lay-ups in the final 5 minutes. MD doesn't defend well individually or as a team and that cost them dearly last night. On offense, MD was all one-on-one, Slocum made some highlight passes and shots, but when your leading scorer shoots 69% from the floor and 83% from the line for the season and is being defended by a player 6 inches shorter and only gets 7 shots, that's a coaching issue. Slocum and Charles were great, but it was all one-on-one, had Wonder Twin #2 and Gabby not been in foul trouble the score would have been much worse. On Chong's decisive 3, Slocum got caught on a Gabby screen and no MD player said a word, communication is the key to great defense. The highlight plays and deep 3's get you on Sportscenter, but running your offense to perfection and playing great defense allows you to cut down the nets in April. I keep hearing the refrain the MD will be better for this experience and they'll be a better team in March, the part of that that no is saying is so will Connecticut....

Reaction Score
Really agree with this - it is time for Brenda to step up and improve the OOC. She is not alone in that as there are a bunch of teams playing pretty poor OOC that should be challenging their teams more. But for MD, the Big Ten really isn't that competitive so the OOC being weak as well is not good. Hopefully with her young charges getting experience she will do it.

It is an issue not just for the competitive nature of the games, but for building real fan excitement - you have 17000 fans in the house last night that had a great if ultimately disappointing time. But that was 14,000 more than the average for the rest of the OOC home games, and they aren't going to show up again for a UMBC or St. Peter's. But get them in the habit by having ND, SC, and Baylor playing on your home court every other year and more of them are going to start coming to a Dayton, or a George Washington game as well. Baylor during the Griner years had a good OOC and seats were hard to come by - Kim after Sims graduated dropped any semblance of a challenging OOC and the attendance has started to fade. Sure wins are fun for true fanatics, but it starts becoming boring when you can beat a team by 100 points.
I agree with you here UcM. I understand why the local media won't do it but I'd like to see one of the out of town media ask this simple question of Frese or Mulkey. "Why don't you challenge your team with a stronger OOC schedule to help prepare them for the tougher games you'll get later on in the season and in the NCAA tourney?" I wonder if they'd get an answer.

Reaction Score
It seems to be natural to lament what could have been by expressing the ifs after a loss. It's hard for we UCONN fans to understand this because we are rarely on the losing side. I say we give TerpWF a break and just be thankful that we aren't often tempted to express similar thoughts.

Yep okay by me. It's the language of the losers. If this, if that. Another example is at the loser's press conference like last night when you hear the head coach say 'some positives we can take from this game'. Always want to hear that phrase from the other side lol.

Reaction Score
Yeah I thought this was the toughest team we played so far this season.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah I thought this was the toughest team we played so far this season.
This is a fine young team with a big upside. But the toughest we've played so far? Friend, 3-4 of UConn's players crawled out of sick beds to play. Collier played 26 mins and Lou was 4-11 from the 3. The team was an uncharacteristic 10-16 from the foul line. They fought off foul trouble and fatigue and still won by 6 in an away game. It may have been the toughest win for UConn so far this year, but lets play them again with a healthy team. I like our chances.

Reaction Score
Point taken. The Maryland boards are hitting Confroy pretty hard. That missed wide open three pointer in the 4th quarter when we made our run was a heartbreaker because she hit 5 three pointers in a game earlier this season and hit 8 three pointers in a game last season. If she was on last night....

Strange. Things like that "happen" to our opponents all the time. It's the strangest thing I have ever seen. No rhyme or reason for it, been happening for quite a few years now.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Strange. Things like that "happen" to our opponents all the time. It's the strangest thing I have ever seen. No rhyme or reason for it, been happening for quite a few years now.
Just posted this on the Terp board but I will post it over here too... with some additional info. Confroy isn't the only starter on a ranked team to go scoreless vs UConn this season. It also happened to Maria Conde in the FSU game, Nina Davis in the Baylor game, and both Sierra Calhoun & Asia Doss in the Ohio State game. I doubt it's a coincidence. The formula is simple if our starting 5 outscore yours we win. UConn starters can and will go 40 minutes if they have to. They also know most of their opponents cannot or will not do that.The other 2 or maybe 3 players that get into the game don't have to do much just what they can. I don't think we have seen UConn's best game yet. This one was exactly on par statistically with what they have done to everyone else. I feel so ashamed for ever doubting this team could start 12-0.

Below you will find the ranked teams we have played, their staring line ups, & their player rankings going into college as given by ESPN and the results:

#12 Florida State: 76 points

11 Conde, Maria........ f
20 Thomas, Shakayla.... f
23 Slaughter, Ivey..... f
12 Brown, Brittany..... g
32 Wright, Imani....... g

Starting 5 scored 67 points
*** 1 FSU starter scoreless (Conde) UConn starters +2

Rankings & Class
11- So. NR Madrid, Spain
20- Jr. 12 Sylacauga, AL
23- Sr. 79 Montgomery, AL
12- Sr. 85 Ft. Walton Beach, FL
32- RSJr. 31 Hooks, Texas

#2 Baylor: 61 Points

13 DAVIS, Nina......... f
32 MOMPREMIER, Beatrice c
04 WALLACE, Kristy..... g
12 PRINCE, Alexis...... g
30 JONES, Alexis....... g

Starting 5 scored 49 points
*** 1 Baylor starter scoreless (Davis) UConn starters +1

Rankings & Class

13- Sr. 52 Memphis, TN
32- So. 20 Miami, FL
04- Jr. NR Queensland, Australia
12- RSSr. 16 Orlando, FL
30- RSSr. 3 Irving, TX

#15 Depaul: 46 points

34 Grant,Jacqui........ f
01 Millender,Ashton.... g
10 Coleman,Amarah...... g
14 January,Jessica..... g
22 Schulte,Brooke...... g

Starting 5 scored 29 points
*** UConn starters +46

Rankings & Class

34- Sr. NR Park Ridge, IL
01- Jr. NR Glenwood, IL
10- Jr. 79 Bolingbrook, IL
14- Sr. 74 Richfield, MN
22- Sr. NR Germantown, IL

#14 Texas: 54 points

24 Holmes, Joyner...... f
40 Lang, Kelsey........ c
11 McCarty, Brooke..... g
20 Taylor, Brianna..... g
23 Atkins, Ariel....... g

Starting 5 scored 42 points
*** 1 UConn starter scoreless (Chong) UConn starters + 20

Rankings & Class

24- Fr. 2 Cedar Hill, TX
40- Sr. NR The Woodlands, TX
11- Jr. 29 League City, TX
20- Sr. NR Houston, TX
23- Jr. 3 Duncanville, TX

#2 Notre Dame: 61 points

11 Brianna Turner...... f
33 Kathryn Westbeld.... f
03 Marina Mabrey....... g
15 Lindsay Allen....... g
24 Arike Ogunbowale.... g

Starting 5 scored 46 points
*** UConn starters +22

Rankings & Class

11- Jr. 2 Pearland, TX
22- Jr. 21 Kettering, OH
03- So. 24 Belmar, NJ
15- Sr. 25 Mitchellville, MD
24- So. 10 Milwaukee, WI

#12 Ohio State: 63 points

01 MAVUNGA, Stephanie.. f
32 COOPER, Shayla...... f
03 MITCHELL, Kelsey.... g
04 CALHOUN, Sierra..... g
20 DOSS, Asia.......... g

Starting 5 scored 51 points
*** 2 Ohio State starters scoreless (Calhoun & Doss) UConn starters +28

Rankings & Class

01- RSJr. 23 Brownsburg, IN
32- Sr. 35 Norcross, GA
03- Jr. 5 Cincinnati, OH
04- RSSo. 16 Brooklyn, NY
20- Jr. 89 Detroit, MI

#4 Maryland: 81 points

42 Brionna Jones....... c
03 Kaila Charles....... g
05 Destiny Slocum...... g
12 Kristen Confroy..... g
32 S. Walker-Kimbrough. g

Starting 5 scored 70 points
*** 1 Maryland starter scoreless (Confroy) UConn starters +10

Rankings & Class

42- Sr. 55 Havre de Grace, MD
03- Fr. 22 Glen Dale, MD
05- Fr. 7 Meridian, Idaho
12- Jr. NR Solon, OH
32- Sr. 43 Aliquippa, PA

UConn Starting 5 Class & Rank

15 Williams, Gabby..... f Jr. 14 Sparks, NV
24 Collier, Napheesa... f So. 6 O'Fallon. MO
33 Samuelson, Katie Lou f So. 1 Huntington Beach, CA
05 Dangerfield, Crystal g Fr. 3 Murfreesboro, TN
11 Nurse, Kia.......... g Jr. 33 Ontario, Canada

UConn Starting 5 Class & Rank Alternate
12 Chong, Saniya....... g Sr. 75 Ossining, NY

Reaction Score
This is a fine young team with a big upside. But the toughest we've played so far? Friend, 3-4 of UConn's players crawled out of sick beds to play. Collier played 26 mins and Lou was 4-11 from the 3. The team was an uncharacteristic 10-16 from the foul line. They fought off foul trouble and fatigue and still won by 6 in an away game. It may have been the toughest win for UConn so far this year, but lets play them again with a healthy team. I like our chances.
A two point win at FSU? That suggests a pretty good team over there, don't you think?????

Reaction Score
I notice that the general tone on turtle boards is that they will kick UConn's butt next time, given they really are better.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A note regarding the refs that was mentioned in a couple of posts. When Geno lost it and CD calmed him down, it was because Lou was bumped hard off balance on one play within a matter of seconds and there was no call. There were other poor calls like Collier blocking Frazers shot and getting called for a foul.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I notice that the general tone on turtle boards is that they will kick UConn's butt next time, given they really are better.
That would be silly since even vs Baylor, Notre Dame, and Texas too I think UConn gave up the lead at points..... Maryland NEVER LED. There wasn't a single point in this game where I thought Maryland is going to win.

Reaction Score
First thing first, congrats on a great game. I heard KLS was sick but she made clutch shot after clutch shot. The whole team made clutch shots including that Chong girl again.

Several poster during the week stated that our two freshmen would have trouble adjusting to UConn on the big stage. Our two best players last night were the freshmen Slocum and Charles. Many people on the Maryland boards think they could be the next Toliver and Coleman. Brionna Jones played well with her double double.

UConn did an outstanding job of defending SWK. She had no room to penetrate and was taken out of the game.

Two of the keys to the game was that 14-0 run at the start of the 3rd quarter and SWK and Confroy going 0-7 from three point territory. If Confroy hit those two WIDE OPEN three pointers and SWK didn't step on the line for her long two pointer, we win the game (theoretically). Nurse seem like she hit all her open three pointers.

Finally, the crowd at Xfinity Center was outstanding. Especially in the 4th quarter when we tried to come back. But give UConn credit, they didn't fold under the pressure of the very noisy Xfinity crowd.

Again congrats on a great win and breaking the 90 game win streak in the future.

I'll probably stay on here during the morning but probably won't be back until the South Carolina game.
My wife and I just got back from the game of the year (for you guys). We are impress with the arena, fairly new, we were told circa 2006. You get a good view from anywhere, handicap parking (free), elevators, plenty of food stations. We were there 1 1/2 hour ahead of the starting time, so we enjoyed talking with the Maryland fans.They are just has crazy fans as we are. It was a very exiting, although I didn't see too may Uconn fans, maybe 200 or so. The fans were all courteous to us until the last 3 minutes!. We understand their let down. If our team lost at home we would too. Overall it was a good experience, except the 330 miles one way. Hopefully we will see you at the Final 4. Good luck Terapins

Reaction Score
A note regarding the refs that was mentioned in a couple of posts. When Geno lost it and CD calmed him down, it was because Lou was bumped hard off balance on one play within a matter of seconds and there was no call. There were other poor calls like Collier blocking Frazers shot and getting called for a foul.

I recall that. Doris Burke was off all night. In this case they focused on "Lou ran into BJones." But for one thing BJones did lift her arm and hit Lou but as you say a few seconds earlier Lou flashed to the low post with the smaller defender and Bjones was sagging, came across the lane and popped Lou in the back. You could see on the game video if you have a chance.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A two point win at FSU? That suggests a pretty good team over there, don't you think?????
Precisely. The FSU team is a good team too. Yet an improved and more confident UConn team had far more to overcome against Maryland than against FSU. Do you think FSU is as good as Maryland? Or is your question just a little hand grenade?

Reaction Score
[

She was sick. She was sick. She was sick. If she wasn't sick she probably shoots better from 3 because of her movement and legs. She probably defends and rebounds better. And "if" at least one of those joke fouls aren't called on NC (the 3rd foul and maybe even the 4th) - we would have more time with our starting 5 on the floor.

And if MD can't guard Lou when she is sick / throwing up - what makes one think when she is healthy and the combination of awful refs and dumb fouls by Collier and Gabby won't make the game much easier for UCONN and Lou and the team the next time?

Agree... to disagree.

IMHO, Lou couldn't have had a bigger impact nor could Uconn's primary weakness, lack of depth, not show up occasionally, particularly on the road with a 17k+ sixth man. Wonderful, competitive game, the way it's supposed to be, no ifs, and or buts.

An aside, still wish players that get recruited would stay. Couldn't be happier for both Big Nat and Ms. Chong, they are both critical components to the whole and I'm sure they know it.

Reaction Score

OK, toughest game so far.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was one of the people who questioned whether Slocum and Charles would be ready for the big game. I have to say I was impressed by both. I saw Destiny in one of the AA games on TV last year and read about Kaila in the Washington Post for the past few years. She outplayed De'Janae Boykin multiple times.

The Terps are good, especially offensively. Would they beat us if we play them in April? Maybe their familiarity and confidence would make the difference. On the other hand, a healthy Lou and healthy Geno could make it another UConn win, maybe by a larger margin. I think that Slocum scored most of her points with Lou guarding her, and Charles got most of her points inside with her quickness. Maryland's comeback consisted of scoring inside and from the arc. Our inside was soft because of the foul trouble on Gabby and Napheesa, who couldn't contest all the shots they wanted to.

Based on last night's results, I move ND down in the rankings and keep Maryland at #3 or so. I think the Terps might be able to run the table in the conference. Only OSU looks like a possible challenger to them.

Reaction Score
Must be something hypnotic about those jazzy Terp uniforms:D
I love the Maryland flag (best of the 50 states)and its use on their uniforms. I also love the Orioles uniforms, but as my blog name hints - nothing beats pinstripes!

Reaction Score
[

Are you being sarcastic? Do you really feel Lou could play better than she did in 2nd half?

Reaction Score
There is a push from some Maryland fans that the Terps need to start scheduling games against South Carolina, Baylor, Texas, Tennessee, etc. It will be good for the women game as we saw from the crowd last night. Love a home and home against UConn. We'll play Notre Dame, Louisville and Florida State in the ACC/Big 10 challenge.

I really do hope you schedule games against those teams as it will make WCBB more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom