Marquette Post-Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post-Game Thread

Reaction Score
The calls are not BS. I very disappointed that the team has not adjusted to that call this late in the season. Clearly this has been a point of emphasis from the refs since game 1 and UCONN has not adjusted. BTW the refs missed several of those travel calls as well.
All they do is make the game less watchable. You don't see those calls in the NBA. Players palm the ball with every dribble it seems and they don't call that. It's a bad revision and as far as I'm concerned they are BS.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One of the best aspects of last night's game was E stepping up and leading the charge and what it means.

While Marquette was so concerned with not allowing Azzi to burn them, they left an opening for another to do just that - E. The team is starting to approach the point were our opponents need to "pick their poison" as to who to limit in scoring. That will always leave an opening for someone else.

We have E, Caroline, Azzi Nika and Christyn at the guards. We have Liv, Dorka and Aaliyah in the front court. And Paige is yet to enter the equation.

Kat

Reaction Score
The Rules Committee instructed the refs to prioritize calls on the shuffling of feet far away from the basket. Anything to slow down the pace & annoy fans. No reason to make this a point of emphasis.
Very odd to wait until the end of the regular season to do this. Guess they want more calls during the tournament so that tv can run more commercials.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • If I am correct, tonight’s starting five for the Huskies (Liv, Christyn, Aaliyah, Nika & Azzi) is yet another different starting lineup this season. Not sure if it’s # 10 or #11? Unlike past lineups, this iteration had nothing to do with injury or illness.
  • It seems like I’ve said this before, but when Evina enters the game off the bench, she really settles down the Huskies.
  • I absolutely loved UConn’s defense tonight. The Huskies pressured the ball in the backcourt, hedged aggressively on all Marquette screens and made it extremely difficult for the Golden Eagles to run their offense. Holding Marquette to only 38 pts on 35% shooting with 22 turnovers, against a good Marquette team, was the best defensive effort by the Huskies this season.
  • Unfortunately, the start of the second half was one of those interludes we’ve seen from time to time as Marquette went on a 7-0 run. The solution? Run a play to get Azzi a shot in the corner and then get Evina into the game. Game over!!!
  • Marquette did everything they could to keep Azzi from going off again. It worked for a while, but in the 2nd half she found some space, and proved that you may be able to contain her for a time, but you cannot stop her.
  • This was Evina’s best game ever as a UConn Husky imo. She absolutely filled up the stat sheet with 17 pts on 6/8 shooting, 5 rebounds, an assist and 3 steals. But it was her poised leadership that made all the difference tonight.
  • Really nice game by Liv tonight. UConn's half-court offense runs so much better through Liv at the high post. Her screening and passing is exceptional.
  • I know the ultimate prize for UConn fans is a national championship, but this BE regular season championship tonight has been hard-earned and very much worth celebrating.
I think Evina has become a lot like Kia Nurse in that there is a calming influence when she’s controlling the Offense The outside shooting has helped and her defense is still really good. Outstanding leader ship qualities.

Reaction Score
@CocoHusky I agree but the game should have been called this way earlier in the season for players to adjust. Tonight this late in the season was a bit much to watch. Simply inconsistent overall. See below for more... ;)

@jaydee602 No attack and thank you for the info, but why in the world of basketball would shuffling of the feet not be the same anywhere on the court???
Not at you jay but what is going to happen if they start calling carrying (which is rampant) double dribbling and God forbid pivot foot movement. A Marquette player in the first quarter pivoted one way twice and then changed her pivot foot without dribbling the ball.
Officials and taking heads never saw it. Consistency in how the game is called is very much in order.
There were so many of those traveling calls that I thought Charde Houston must be back in a UConn uniform. If the refs are going to call that foot movement then they should call traveling on step back threes and every time a player takes two giant steps toward the basket before going airborne.

Reaction Score
Geno answered this the other day... Defense, she can play the most positions, and she's the healthiest.. As for scoring, she'll get more when Azzi is hitting jumpers. Some nights there's no room for Slashing.
Not to mention the fact that she is the most physical guard we have. Christyn can make things happen off the bounce in a way that nobody else on this team can.

One thing everyone is forgetting is that a healthy Paige is just far better than Nika at running the offense and setting up her teammates. With Paige and Azzi on the floor, those defenses can't camp out in the lane. Christyn and Caroline especially are going to get a ton of layups off back door cuts

Reaction Score
A real point of emphasis must be elbow and hand contact to an opponents face. We have seen and suffered plenty of severe face contact to UCONN players this year. Are refs too busy watching feet and miss head contact and potential serious injury ?

Reaction Score
Who would you play in her place? Tonight Nika was in foul trouble, putting up a goose egg, and Caroline was a turnover machine.
I just check the stats. Caroline has 27 Ast and 44 TO so far. I'm a bit shocked. And Azzi has 13 Ast and 14 TO. Paige has the best Ast/TO ratio 4.1. The 2nd coming is ONO's 1.76. And no other one is above 2 then. What a big gap.

Reaction Score
What was the over/under on Ms. Culmo using the word 'savvy' in her dialog tonight?

Reaction Score
I'm so sick of those bs traveling calls. It was like 6 turnovers right there for us today.
I watch a lot of women's college basketball and don't understand how some teams, such as UConn, get called so much for traveling and others do not. In the recent South Carolina, Tenn game, I don't remember SC getting called once. I haven't kept count, but also seems like some refs make this call continually, some do not.

Reaction Score
She doesn't have to score a lot to bring stability to the team. She played zero minutes when we played Oregon. Remember what happened? We got clobbered. She is vital to the success of this team regardless of her putting up huge scoring numbers.
Williams seems to have a much better insight into her abilities this year. During the games she can't make a 3 pointer, she drives more. Not going into that side to side dribble as much 30 feet from the basket that doesn't accomplish much and bogs down the offensive flow. Rebounds well and her strength often helps stop the quick players that no one on UConn seems to be able to guard. As I've said before, I believe she is the X-factor that could win us a Championship. When she gets in her zone and lets the game come to her, few players are better.

Reaction Score
A real point of emphasis must be elbow and hand contact to an opponents face. We have seen and suffered plenty of severe face contact to UCONN players this year. Are refs too busy watching feet and miss head contact and potential serious injury ?
I thought I saw them check the video too, but I could be mistaken. I feel like contact initiated with the off hand clearing out should qualify for non-incidental.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Clearly an offensive foul on Marquette player for use of non-shooting hand/arm and entire body moving into an upright and stationary Dorka.
I agree it should have been an offensive foul on Marquette. But after allowing the play to continue with UConn scoring at the other end, and then stopping play, the refs could not retroactively call an offensive foul.

The only option was a technical foul. The refs decided the contact was incidental. There is certainly room for disagreement on that decision.

Reaction Score
An overall good effort against a physical team. A slow start again, with Nika getting two quick fouls and a seat on the bench. Having two players as the only 1st Q scorers kind of unusual. Same for 1 three between both teams in the 1st half. No one had a bad game although Caroline won't look back fondly on this one. I suspect she'll get back into the very nice rhythm she had before her injury.

Two non-game things. Paige is, as we know, animated on the bench. She makes... how to say it...a variety of gestures from the bench. Some I get and others might be obvious to a 19 year old, which I ain't. And, after the trophy ceremony somehow Amari ended up alone, clutching the trophy, looking a bit dazed as she wandered off the court.
Yeah, I thought Amari hauling the trophy off by herself was interesting- it looked heavy

Reaction Score
I don't post to these threads early so I can digest all the comments and points of view.
I like to hear Geno's press conference regarding the game, because, lets face it, his opinion carries the most weight.
His comment about, winning is not easy, but because UCONN wins so much we take it for granted. That point of view permeates this board and comments.
That was a very good basketball team that we easily beat last night. Some fans here never give any credit to the opposition we play. Instead, we moan and groan about turnovers, minutes, who is starting......meaningless dribble.
We should be focused on some of the positives. We were up 17 points at halftime with CW scoreless, Nika on the bench the entire half, Azzi getting one shot, two points. With our team in the best shape health wise this year, the defense can now play UCONN defense, no fear of fouling, rest when a player needs it, way more aggressive than when we have only 6.
The other main takeaway, with all the weapons we now have, we can live with the inconsistent play that we have seen all year. Geno can sub an Evina for a Nika, a Caroline for a slow starting CW, etc... and still get production.
Lastly two random thoughts:
Coaches need to work with Caroline and show her how she is travelling and break her of that bad habit.
Paige in uniform is a tease that she is right about to come back.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
All they do is make the game less watchable. You don't see those calls in the NBA. Players palm the ball with every dribble it seems and they don't call that. It's a bad revision and as far as I'm concerned they are BS.
You're right about the NBA becoming unwatchable
We are not talking about the same thing here. You are talking about how you like to watch the game and what makes it unwatchable. I'm talking about how the game is actually being called and the seeming inability of the UCONN players to adjust to how the game is being called. The refs don't care about "watchable", they have been given points of emphasis. Hand checking and more physicality used to be a part of both the NBA and CBB, but guess what? That aspect of the game has changed and players at both levels have adjusted. Quickly adjusting to new rules
or the way a game is being called has always been a signature feature of UCONN WBB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom