Marquette Post-Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post-Game Thread

Reaction Score
I guess you can't read or understand the written word. If she is shooting 30% "she is making 3 OUT OF 10, if she makes 1 more OUT OF 10, it would be 4 OUT OF 10, or 40%.
Not "1 of the NEXT 10"...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Look...
hearties-abigail.gif

Reaction Score
I think Caroline can be a good shooter, but sometimes I think she takes bad ones. She's hit some big ones this year (one in the 4th against DePaul comes to mind. Also broke the Notre Dame game open), so I'd be hesitant to tell her not to shoot them. But I get wanting her to shoot more in the mid range and post. I think she missed a couple bunnies yesterday but she definitely has an arsenal in the paint.

IMO she looked great in the Xavier game but she's just been ok in the others post injury. But she's just a freshman being put in several different roles. I think it's cool that between her and Azzi, I have confidence atleast one will have a strong game.

Someone in the thread mentioned that sometimes our expectations our too high when ppl are playing limited minutes. I thought that was really on point. I think ppl are going to be on Nika when she starts playing 15 minutes a game and maybe doesn't score. I even feel ppl have done that for AE for much of the season. But to the critiques point, even Geno has mentioned her inconsistency. It's a fine balance.

I do agree the turnovers are the biggest thing Cd
needs work on right now. 5 in 20 minutes, especially when you're not handling the ball all that much as compared to a pg is a bit excessive. I feel like her pump from three and drive is a move she does that's a travel. But you know what's interesting, Geno mentioned Paige's footwork was really bad last year, so it may be a missing fundamentals thing.

Reaction Score
I guess you can't read or understand the written word. If she is shooting 30% "she is making 3 OUT OF 10, if she makes 1 more OUT OF 10, it would be 4 OUT OF 10, or 40%.
Not "1 of the NEXT 10"...
Weighing in: Please remember that a traveling call is a complete turnover, a missed 3 pointer might be a recovered rebound, another chance, that is why offensive rebounding is so important. I'm much less worried about a missed 3 pointer, that was opportunity. Let us cut down on all turnovers to what the top 10 teams average per game to 10-12, not our current level of 15-20.

I think we had 18 the last game and 21 the game before. We know there are self-inflected turnovers and defensive one, that we, especially in the last two games pressed upon the opponent. This measure is really the difference between the two teams, i.e. 18 vs 23 etc or those that resulted in a clean break-a-way. There is a lot of difference in the type of turnover and when it occurs. Low count turnovers used to be a measure of our strength, not so much anymore. We can improve here a lot but were not there yet.

Reaction Score
Take a compliment for EW and make it about Paige. Good grief! Posters said E was becoming a needed team leader, not THE leader.
no worries my friend, just my opinion. take it for what its worth, as ill take yourts

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So your opinion is that anybody who can't shoot 45% from 3-point range like Azzi can should never take another 3-point shot? So Christyn, Dorka, Evina, Nika, and maybe even Paige should just stop shooting from 3?

Remember the basic arithmetic: 30% from 3-point range is equal to 45% from 2-point range: 9 points per 10 shots either way. That is far better than many teams (even Top 25 teams) shoot on their 2-point shots. Anyone who shoots 30% from 3 has to be guarded at the 3-point line, which opens up space in the interior for the rest of the offense. That is why Geno has said that about a third of UConn's shots should be from the arc, which is a lower percentage than many other teams (DePaul, Villanova, Creighton, Notre Dame, etc.).

I think the team as a whole (with Azzi getting 25-30 minutes and Paige getting 20-25 minutes) can shoot 35% to 37% from the arc while taking a third of their shots from there. But even if the team average percentage is only in the lower 30's, opponents will need to guard all the shooters at the 3-point line, and that will allow the inside and midrange offense to function as designed.

If you were an opposing coach, would you let Caroline or Christyn or Nika "fire at will" from the 3-point line, expecting them to miss? If you did, I think you would lose the game by a big margin.

Reaction Score
Good win special Evina with 17 pts and 5 rebs (all DREB)

View attachment 73686
This was the first time in a while when we got "nothing" from the deep bench. No scoring and not much on defense. Amari's shot was off and Piath still shows " bad hands." Good to have them be part of the rotation, however, rather than just used for garbage mop-up. We should continue to see them in final two games and opening game or two of BE tourney. Then, it will be "good night" until next year. Summer work for both will be key.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I did a little research a moment ago. In their last 8 games, Marquette has scored an average of 58.7 ppg. From a high of 70 against St. Johns, to a low of 38 against us. The fact that UConn was able to hold them to 20 points BELOW their average over their last 8 games should not be taken lightly.

UConn did not play a perfect or near perfect game yesterday, but they were able to slap some handcuffs on a good team and keep them on for most of the game. Marquette seemed to never get in sync or on track during the game. Evidence of that was Marquette's ability to only score 8 points in the first quarter, and 6 in the second. UConn scored more points in the first quarter (15) than Marquette in in the entire first half.

Reaction Score
I think Evina has become a lot like Kia Nurse in that there is a calming influence when she’s controlling the Offense The outside shooting has helped and her defense is still really good. Outstanding leader ship qualities.
I wasn't a fan of EW until recently. Inexplicably, she has [suddenly] upped her game. I view her as an offensive spark the way Aubrey was a defensive spark. No, she isn't a team leader but is certainly a newfound [important] contributor. On defense too!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Look if Geno doesn't stop her from shooting the 3's then I guess it's okay. Geno has noted that she is a great 3 point shooter so, why don't you leave up to him to decide and live with it.

HHH

Hartford Hall Husky
Reaction Score

Heh…you really had me going there for a minute! I thought you were talking about Caroline Ducharme…you know, the one who won the high school 3-point shooting contest, beating out both someone named Azzi Fudd (who admittedly was wearing a walking boot) and the winner of the men’s bracket as well? Yeah, if I’m her college coach (which Geno is), I’m telling her to shoot as much as she wants (which Geno does).

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • If I am correct, tonight’s starting five for the Huskies (Liv, Christyn, Aaliyah, Nika & Azzi) is yet another different starting lineup this season. Not sure if it’s # 10 or #11? Unlike past lineups, this iteration had nothing to do with injury or illness.
  • It seems like I’ve said this before, but when Evina enters the game off the bench, she really settles down the Huskies.
  • I absolutely loved UConn’s defense tonight. The Huskies pressured the ball in the backcourt, hedged aggressively on all Marquette screens and made it extremely difficult for the Golden Eagles to run their offense. Holding Marquette to only 38 pts on 35% shooting with 22 turnovers, against a good Marquette team, was the best defensive effort by the Huskies this season.
  • Unfortunately, the start of the second half was one of those interludes we’ve seen from time to time as Marquette went on a 7-0 run. The solution? Run a play to get Azzi a shot in the corner and then get Evina into the game. Game over!!!
  • Marquette did everything they could to keep Azzi from going off again. It worked for a while, but in the 2nd half she found some space, and proved that you may be able to contain her for a time, but you cannot stop her.
  • This was Evina’s best game ever as a UConn Husky imo. She absolutely filled up the stat sheet with 17 pts on 6/8 shooting, 5 rebounds, an assist and 3 steals. But it was her poised leadership that made all the difference tonight.
  • Really nice game by Liv tonight. UConn's half-court offense runs so much better through Liv at the high post. Her screening and passing is exceptional.
  • I know the ultimate prize for UConn fans is a national championship, but this BE regular season championship tonight has been hard-earned and very much worth celebrating.
Thank you for the great post!! Congratulations to the Uconn Huskies on their regular season championship, much deserved. They worked hard through a lot adversity to achieve this. The players and the coaching staff should be commended they are all one tough group.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is she has only attempted 94 three point attempts. That's a very small sample size. If a baseball player hits .350 after 100 AB virtually every analyst in the country would say that probably will go down to under .300 after 500 AB. Players are streaky on such things and even 5 more buckets would bring her up to around a .350 percentage. She won several 3 point competitions among star high school players. She is very likely to be a solid 3 point shooter.

Reaction Score
I watch a lot of women's college basketball and don't understand how some teams, such as UConn, get called so much for traveling and others do not. In the recent South Carolina, Tenn game, I don't remember SC getting called once. I haven't kept count, but also seems like some refs make this call continually, some do not.
I am certain you are correct about some refs calling the travel violation and some not. In almost any endeavor with regulations that need enforcing there will be uneven enforcement. And the likelihood is that Uconn is a victim in this uneven distribution.

Reaction Score
I'm with the poster browns that this year she hasn't been. And he or she stated CD which all of us agree with - CD should not stop taking 3's.

IMO it's all good.

Reaction Score
Willfully misunderstanding someone and then bludgeoning them with those willfully misunderstood facts is not really a good look. It was painfully clear the poster (My2cents) was saying that if she averages 4-10 vs 3-10 (one more out of ten) then she would be considered a very good shooter. Surely you can do better than that? That tactic should be reserved for politicians.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry, but your objection to Paige coming onto the court to check on an injured teammate makes no sense. The fact that Paige was the only player to do so and she wasn’t actually playing in the game are completely immaterial points.
AND... the fact that Paige was the only player who would NOT be playing in the game adds to this. The other players... i.e., the 5 currently in the game and the subs who could go into the game at anytime (including the replacement for Dorka) were all involved in huddle with the Coaches. Paige is a teammate who cares... and who cares if she chose to go out and check on her teammate... :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom