Marketing department email? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marketing department email?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://collegenetwork.cbssports.com/

"CBSSports.com College Network, a CBS Interactive company, helps collegiate athletic departments protect and build their brand by deepening and expanding their fan base. We deliver best-in-class products and services that increase fan engagement and generate incremental revenue. Our suite of digital product offerings and high-profile distribution partnerships allow your fans to consume your content whenever and wherever they want to.
As a member of the CBS family, CBSSports.com College Network receives and provides its partners with significant national promotional exposure and integration across CBS media assets."

My thought (and this is clearly outside my area of expertise) is that the CBS Interactive Company has a number of developed templates for engaged schools to customize and the resultant analytics to tell decision makers which one is most efficient/effective. WM should send HFD to sit with the web designers to develop 2 or 3 new launches :p

My impression is that this kind of webdesign is clearly something that is outsourced, so then the real issue is how much say that goes into what's happening (from both sides of the project - UCONN and CBS Interactive)

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Fantastic don't take me seriously. Shouldn't ever. I will take you seriously though.

Please explain what "retargeting" is, and why it's obvious that it's not happening on the UCONN ticket buying web window, and how it's a no brainer for boosting sales. I do not understand that.

You know those ads that follow you around the internet? You look at a bike on a site you've never heard of and all at once you see those ads (with that exact bike featured if they are good) on all kinds of sites - even the boneyard?

That's retargeting.

If you hit the UCONN ticket site but don't buy tickets, running those ads are almost certainly a ROI win.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah - for sdhusky.

after explaining what 'retargeting' is, and why it's obvious that it's not happening on the UCONN ticket web portal, and why it's a no brainer for boosting sales...

I'm also very curious to know what the #1 fastest way to waste money on marketing is.

Thanks!

Reaction Score
You know those ads that follow you around the internet? You look at a bike on a site you've never heard of and all at once you see those ads (with that exact bike featured if they are good) on all kinds of sites - even the boneyard?

That's retargeting.

If you hit the UCONN ticket site but don't buy tickets, running those ads are almost certainly a ROI win.

Oh I get it. Kind of like when I see stuff on the boneyard, regarding internet searches and stuff I've looked at before. I get it.

Wanna bet if Army is doing that?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Oh I get it. Kind of like when I see stuff on the boneyard, regarding internet searches and stuff I've looked at before. I get it.

Wanna bet if Army is doing that?

I'll look at their code...

Reaction Score
Getting your ideas from the boneyard.

I agree with you here. What does it mean then, to you, that in the past, it certainly appears that this is exactly what has happened??!!! Is it coincidence? Did it not happen and is a figment of imagination? Or is it more likely that the people up there in charge of actually generating ticket sales, and raising public awareness, are buffoons?

Reaction Score
Army and UCONN's site are clearly built by the same people. They have the same footer scripts:

Sitecatlyst - Adobe's Omniture analytics package
Chat
Comsore and Google analytics
DoubleClick - an Google acquired company that can do remarketing.

This is meaningless to me. You can write that stuff in Greek. All I want to know is if Army (with those ads on the trains, designed to bringing people to that website) have something (retargeting) that we don't on our website, and I'm trusting you, that we don't have it.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
This is meaningless to me. You can write that stuff in Greek. All I want to know is if Army (with those ads on the trains, designed to bringing people to that website) have something (retargeting) that we don't on our website, and I'm trusting you, that we don't have it.

Both sites have the same capabilities and tools which are very high end and expensive. $100k/year - maybe? which is reasonable for an enterprise like the university of CT and probably doesn't come out of the athletic budget.

And based on the fact army has the exact same thing, it's probably supplied at a big discount by the agency doing both sites. Figure actual cost is $20k

Reaction Score

That's retargeting.

ROI refers to return on investment. If you go to the site and don't buy tickets, your return as regards that potential customer was zero.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
ROI refers to return on investment. If you go to the site and don't buy tickets, your return as regards that potential customer was zero.

Those retargeting clicks are only 50 cents or so, so if it takes $10 to get a season ticket sold with a seat donation, it's a no brainer win.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
you have to pay people to spend time on social media. how many company blogs/twitter accounts/FB etc with a flurry of activity and then nothing?

Done professionally (and effectively) does require time, thought, planning and execution. It isn't free. Even if you have unpaid interns doing it.

Ok. Let's just throw in the frigging towel then.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Ok. Let's just throw in the frigging towel then.

No.

What you do in the real world, is decide if you are doing to do it or not.

If you decide to do it, you put a plan together, execute and track.

If you decide not to do it, you spend time and effort elsewhere.

Look - how many amazon TV commercials or billboards have you seen? They decided to use tons of their marketing dollars for free shipping.

Zappos got sold for $100 million and their main marketing approach was world-class customer service.

McD's approach was consistant experience regardless of what store or where or what time.

Domino's was 30 minutes or less.

Like my personal hero Randy Edsall says, you have to execute. It's not enough to have ideas or try things.

Doing a single thing exceptionally well, might be better than doing twitter really intensively for 24 days and then forgetting about it for 79 days.

That would be as stupid as installing an offense, say the wildcat, just because its worked some else and then never master it or your main offense.

Who would be that stupid?

Reaction Score
My intuition tells me, that like me, you outgrew the kind of cheap keg beer that would go into a funnel a long time ago, but whatever your fancy in drink, party it up to your content at the game, just print out the relevant sections of the boneyard before stumbling into the box. LOL.

The only time I drink beer is shotgun or funnel. Other than that I generally drink Laphroaig or something similar.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
For someone who keeps saying "gee, I don't know", then going on how everyone is wrong for wanting UConn to advertise more - sdhusky, you come across as an insufferable knowitall. ROI this, real world that. Yeah I got my MBA too. Sometimes it's really just as simple as doing some very, very basic things to spread the word and drum up support. It's not damn rocket science.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't pretend to know a damn thing about marketing. I just find it impossible that in 2013 twitter wouldn't be a component of a marketing department run by professionals.

Reaction Score
Both sites have the same capabilities and tools which are very high end and expensive. $100k/year - maybe? which is reasonable for an enterprise like the university of CT and probably doesn't come out of the athletic budget.

And based on the fact army has the exact same thing, it's probably supplied at a big discount by the agency doing both sites. Figure actual cost is $20k

Ok - that's interesting stuff too, but honestly, I'm just looking for a valueable piece of information that I can verify.

The USMA is paying somehow for advertising on Metro North New Haven Line trains. Advertisements for Army football, directing people to a website that is their ticket buying portal/online ticket window. Fact.

Opinion: I think that it's a pretty good thing to do, as part of a wider marketing campaign designed to increase ticket sales for Army football. I also think that the website design for their ticket window online is nicer than ours. I'm talking aesthetics and ease of use only. (on our website, I actually tired to click on things that weren't clickable until I found where I should - truth - but I'm not a very computer savvy person). I also think that it's pretty easy to type in and remember the Army websitse as compared to our own ticket window website. I can't remember it right now.

But that's all aesthetics, and user interface stuff. I know nohing about code. I don't care to know anything about it, other people are interested in that.

All I want to know, and you seemed to suggest it, is whether or not the Army website, is generating "retargeting" (the way that you described it) for people browsing on the internet, for people that hit on their ticket window, and we are not.

If you can't say yes or no to that,that's fine, I just wanted something to work with that I could verify myself as to code ad stuff like that.

I can tell on face value and aesthetics, that we've got work to do with our online ticket window as well as marketing campaign.

Reaction Score
I don't pretend to know a damn thing about marketing. I just find it impossible that in 2013 twitter wouldn't be a component of a marketing department run by professionals.

They are using twitter whaler. The question isn't whether or not UCONN is using it or not, it's what the people that are using it - are doing with it and why.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

My firm manages online marketing for a company that does about $700k/month and posts 5 times a day on twitter on once a day on FB.

Guess how much revenue they generate from those channels vs. google.

Reaction Score
The only time I drink beer is shotgun or funnel. Other than that I generally drink Laphroaig or something similar.

Wow. Way off on that one. I've become much more of a Belgian Ale snob myself, and find myself uncorking many a variety from Ommegang. Otherwise it's Johnny Walker Blue. Although that only comes out on a very, very rare occasion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They are using twitter whaler. The question isn't whether or not UCONN is using it or not, it's what the people that are using it - are doing with it and why.

i mean productively like other schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My firm manages online marketing for a company that does about $700k/month and posts 5 times a day on twitter on once a day on FB.

Zero I'm sure. It's about people being aware you exist. And it as close to zero investment as possible.

Reaction Score

Exactly.

Reaction Score
No.

What you do in the real world, is decide if you are doing to do it or not.

If you decide to do it, you put a plan together, execute and track.

If you decide not to do it, you spend time and effort elsewhere.

Look - how many amazon TV commercials or billboards have you seen? They decided to use tons of their marketing dollars for free shipping.

Zappos got sold for $100 million and their main marketing approach was world-class customer service.

McD's approach was consistant experience regardless of what store or where or what time.

Domino's was 30 minutes or less.

Like my personal hero Randy Edsall says, you have to execute. It's not enough to have ideas or try things.

Doing a single thing exceptionally well, might be better than doing twitter really intensively for 24 days and then forgetting about it for 79 days.

That would be as stupid as installing an offense, say the wildcat, just because its worked some else and then never master it or your main offense.

Who would be that stupid?

You left out Nike. Just do it. And Gatorade. Thirst Quencher.

All you are talking about is called the "hook."

As far as I can tell. We still don't have a hook. Someone not so brilliant came up with "best home schedule ever" that makes me want to kick somebody in the teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom