LSU type schedule has Perks | The Boneyard

LSU type schedule has Perks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many posters went back and forth about LSU's easy schedule and Geno's (play the best.) All in all in a regular season I follow Geno's method. However, we now can see how an LSU easy schedule (UConn vs BE) has many benefits/perks.

Geno rarely played freshman in the past. Of course, out of necessity, Geno had to play KK and Ash. Now we see that both have easily earned the right to start. Geno was locked into playing 7 and sometimes in (tight games) a 6 man rotation. The EASY schedule allows the distribution of minutes to go to 9 players, with 7 getting lots of minutes. Remember the recent game when Geno had 4 freshman plus Ines -- starting the 4th quarter.

The Easy schedule helps build confidence. It develops a more relaxed player who can put into play all the practice moves/situations/skill building. One or two games of productivity can change an entire season. Ice is a different player now. She has now done it in a college game. She knows that she can do it. It is fun to help the team win. Did you see her smile after the game. That was the first time this season she had that look and vibe. The easy schedule makes it possible.

Geno seems more upbeat (winning 10 in a row helps) and he is having fun experimenting with combinations on the floor. His goal of having Ice and AE play together is shaping up.
Yes, it seems obvious to many, but an easy schedule has many perks. For UConn, this schedule was a blessing in disguise.

Now, I want to see the next step ---"how does all this translate into "good play" against a top 15 opponent?" I can't wait.

Reaction Score
I think playing easy teams does very little for you. We've only had a few "easy" teams like Ball State, Toronto, and S. Conn. and what did we get out of it?
Not much!
The rest of our schedule were ranked or not too bad.
I think those losses we had earlier helped to put a bad taste in the mouths of our players and spurred them on to practice harder and smarter.

Like you, PhillyCoach, I follow Geno's method. Iron sharpens iron. It also gets our confidence up and its not a false confidence from playing "patsies".

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
And don't forget, Geno dislikes when his teams coast thru the season without much pushback, as he's had a difficult time in the past convincing teams that there are a whole lot of things that they needed to work on. Certain times, it came back to haunt them in the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention a top priority for most of us--keep the starters fresh and not over worked. Check the number of minutes per starter for the season. Everyone is under 31 minutes. Well rested so far and the BE schedule should keep them well rested. One more thing. Less stress for the coaches, players, and us (fans.)

Reaction Score
Maybe no so good. But here we are rooting for teams above us to fall so we can get back into top 10. Good day so far, LSU falls, Stanford falls, Virginia Tech falls. We could be back. Keep it up Huskies. USC likely to fall to UCLA later. and Baylor and Texas lost yesterday, Baylor's second in a row.

Reaction Score
I think playing easy teams does very little for you. We've only had a few "easy" teams like Ball State, Toronto, and S. Conn. and what did we get out of it?
Not much!
The rest of our schedule were ranked or not too bad.
I think those losses we had earlier helped to put a bad taste in the mouths of our players and spurred them on to practice harder and smarter.

Like you, PhillyCoach, I follow Geno's method. Iron sharpens iron. It also gets our confidence up and its not a false confidence from playing "patsies".
Agree that it’s best to play the best. FWIW, Massey had Ball St ahead of Auburn this AM (ranked 65 and 66). Geno’s “easy” games are one Kim’s hardest challenges thus far - apparently a challenge that LSU was not up to.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I really don’t pay attention to LSU or Auburn. No way to tell, but after watching today, i can’t see Uconn not getting into the 70s or more vs Auburn. LSU was not impressive given its all star line-up. But it’s only one game. I haven’t a clue how LSU’s schedule factors in.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn should be top 7 after this weekend
LSU Stanford UCLA and VT all lost and UConn is killin it.

Reaction Score
Big upset day as #2 UCLA falls to USC! Some of the old weaknesses popped back up as their top five players not named Betts went 15/41 from the field! Rice, their vaunted pg, had one assist against five turnovers. UCLA turned it over 22 times and committed 32 fouls! JuJu was 16 for 16 as USC scored 24 points from the line!

Reaction Score
UConn should be top 7 after this weekend
LSU Stanford UCLA and VT all lost and UConn is killin it.
I think the only one we pass in the ranking is VT of those 4. Possibly Baylor as well! But we saw what happened last week so I am expecting very little movement on our end. I hope I am wrong!

Reaction Score
I believe we haven't seen Paige and Ice's real game yet. Paige, as amazing as she is, is still playing kind of tentative. Ice is just getting started. I hope this past St John's game is Ice's coming out party. Ice can be a real X factor this season if she plays loose and free. I love that Ice can knock down that three. It adds another dimension to her game. I would love to see her just drive that ball in the basket every time she gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom