LSU type schedule has Perks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

LSU type schedule has Perks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the LSU-type schedule did not "toughen" them up, or help them be able to handle adversity, or to play under pressure. They Lost to an UNRANKED Team with 5 losses on their record so far this season.. Yes, LSU was on the road, BUT on paper, this should have been their game.

Reaction Score
Haley Van Lith had 3 points (1/9 from the floor; 1/2 at the line), no rebounds, 1 assist, and four TO's in her 28 minutes. Morrow had a Morrow-like game - 12 points, 15 rebounds, 2 assists and four steals. Sounds strange, but LSU was 0/2 as a team from 3, assuming the box score I looked at is correct. They also missed nine free throws.

Reaction Score
Ranked teams lose, unranked teams win. It means little in reality except maybe a slap in the face for a ranked team like LSU (#7). Wake up, you're not as good as you think you are. UCLA (#2) losing to USC (#9) is not a surprise as the Trojans behind the play of Juju Watkins can beat anyone. Stanford (#8) losing to Colorado (#5) is, according to the rankings, how it should be. Baylor (#4) is going to tumble after losing two games in a row. But I seriously doubt that we will move up much. It doesn't matter where we're rated as long as we keep winning and more importantly learning, improving, developing, one game at a time. Come March is where we can (and hoping will) move up in the ratings.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I posted this in the LSU thread wrt ranking and how far they'd drop after yesterday's loss, and the perk for the lower SOS in early season didn't hurt them in the polls, especially as they were the pre-season #1. It takes a lot of voters a lot of courage to downvote a team that's winning against much lesser opponents, versus downvoting teams that lose to ranked ones.

Reaction Score
Many posters went back and forth about LSU's easy schedule and Geno's (play the best.) All in all in a regular season I follow Geno's method. However, we now can see how an LSU easy schedule (UConn vs BE) has many benefits/perks.

Geno rarely played freshman in the past. Of course, out of necessity, Geno had to play KK and Ash. Now we see that both have easily earned the right to start. Geno was locked into playing 7 and sometimes in (tight games) a 6 man rotation. The EASY schedule allows the distribution of minutes to go to 9 players, with 7 getting lots of minutes. Remember the recent game when Geno had 4 freshman plus Ines -- starting the 4th quarter.

The Easy schedule helps build confidence. It develops a more relaxed player who can put into play all the practice moves/situations/skill building. One or two games of productivity can change an entire season. Ice is a different player now. She has now done it in a college game. She knows that she can do it. It is fun to help the team win. Did you see her smile after the game. That was the first time this season she had that look and vibe. The easy schedule makes it possible.

Geno seems more upbeat (winning 10 in a row helps) and he is having fun experimenting with combinations on the floor. His goal of having Ice and AE play together is shaping up.
Yes, it seems obvious to many, but an easy schedule has many perks. For UConn, this schedule was a blessing in disguise.

Now, I want to see the next step ---"how does all this translate into "good play" against a top 15 opponent?" I can't wait.
UConn doesn't have a player on the roster that isn't a top recruit. All of them would shine if they had the chance to play every game getting quality minutes and the last two years proved that out. If they are completely healthy last year Lou is a role player at best and most likely doesn't even get drafted. She gets time on the court with other great players and she moves up the draft board just as any person on the current roster would.

Geno has always had a short rotation and I think if they were 100% healthy this year it would be no different against the better teams. It is a system that has worked better than any other coaches system so why change now? This year I think the Freshmen are benefitting from injuries and proving they can play, but in the end my MIP by the seasons end will be Ice.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UCONN gets most of it's easy games in conference. Geno needs to make it interesting for his players too. Really great players like to be challenged.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UCONN gets most of it's easy games in conference. Geno needs to make it interesting for his players too. Really great players like to be challenged.
UConn currently has according to Massey the #1 SoS with a projected #5 SoS at the end of the season. Below is the Top 10 teams

UConn #1 Projected #5
SC #2 Projected #6
Maryland #3 Projected #4
Iowa #4 Projected #2
UCLA #5 Projected #1
Stanford #6 Projected #13
Colorado #7 Projected #3
Indiana #8 Projected #20
Kansas #9 Projected #23
Tennessee #10 Projected #9

Want to know where LSU is ranked in the SoS and Projected finish, SoS 64 and Projected is 45. That is beyond pathetic it is what some people would call gaming the system.

Reaction Score
UConn currently has according to Massey the #1 SoS with a projected #5 SoS at the end of the season. Below is the Top 10 teams

UConn #1 Projected #5
SC #2 Projected #6
Maryland #3 Projected #4
Iowa #4 Projected #2
UCLA #5 Projected #1
Colorado #7 Projected #3
Indiana #8 Projected #20
Kansas #9 Projected #23

Want to know where LSU is ranked in the SoS and Projected finish, SoS 64 and Projected is 45. That is beyond pathetic it is what some people would call gaming the system.
I believe Kim wants to break the record for fewest games to 900 wins [a.k.a. break Geno's record, but can only lose 11 games while winning 192 in the next 6+ years], but she got her Head Coaching start too late in life to break 1100. Therefore, my prediction is that she will retire at 72 years-old at 3rd place on the all-time wins list in Division 1 women's basketball.

Check in with me in 11 years... :cool::D:cool:

Reaction Score
I believe we haven't seen Paige and Ice's real game yet. Paige, as amazing as she is, is still playing kind of tentative. Ice is just getting started. I hope this past St John's game is Ice's coming out party. Ice can be a real X factor this season if she plays loose and free. I love that Ice can knock down that three. It adds another dimension to her game. I would love to see her just drive that ball in the basket every time she gets it.
I love how Paige is playing. In her frosh year, the competitive strategy was just focused on containing Paige. If she was out of the game, the refs let her be bullied or contained with double teams, the offense tended to stagnate. With 4 other capable offensive players who are all fast, top defenders, and solid shooters, Paige is able now to spread the offense and keep things moving. When she is open, she shoots, otherwise she always seems to have multiple options to distribute to. If I was playing UConn, this would be a difficult team to prepare for.

Reaction Score

UConn #1 Projected #5
SC #2 Projected #6
Maryland #3 Projected #4
Iowa #4 Projected #2
UCLA #5 Projected #1
Colorado #7 Projected #3
Indiana #8 Projected #20
Kansas #9 Projected #23

Remember RPI? It’s still around. According to it, LSU has played the 168th toughest schedule to date. 168th!

They have played 12 Quad 3/4 games and only 7 Quad 1/2 games/ .

RPI was dropped as a committee tool but the Quad analysis in NET is not dissimilar .

Unless they win the SEC, The committee needs to keep them out of hosting the first two games to send a message to Kim.

Reaction Score
Remember RPI? It’s still around. According to it, LSU has played the 168th toughest schedule to date. 168th!

They have played 12 Quad 3/4 games and only 7 Quad 1/2 games/ .

RPI was dropped as a committee tool but the Quad analysis in NET is not dissimilar .

Unless they win the SEC, The committee needs to keep them out of hosting the first two games to send a message to Kim.
No way they win the SEC. You can quote me on that one. They may emerge with only 2 losses in conference, thanks to only playing SC once, and another in the tournament. But I suspect they'll take at least one more than that. Personally, I'm rooting for Vanderbilt, or maybe a repeat from Auburn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Please continue the LSU discussion on the General board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads