Louisville Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Louisville Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You guys are dreaming if you think this team is going to bench Evina and CW. The entire team is shooting around 40% or LESS, except for Paige and Liv. It's not like anyone on this teram has proven themselves to be stellar offensively. The reason Caroline is playing so much isn't just her offense. Her defense has also helped the team's team defense step up another notch. If you take E and CW out of that mix the team defense will drop a lot. The team defense is keeping us in games.

I'm not a doctor but I'd be surprised if Azzi's recovery is going to correct her defensive quickness all that much. Teams are going to keep attacking her off the dribble. Azzi is very probably a sub who can come in and give us some offense when a starting guard sets. Hopefully she can compensate for it or we play zone and it doesn't hurt us as much.

Reaction Score
I don’t consider this game a moral victory. If our seniors showed up and played well but lost to a better team, then I would call it moral victory. But if they showed up today against a good not great Louisville team, it would have been an outright victory.

How does CW just disappear like this?

We don’t take advantage of opponents weaknesses. When Louisville puts 4 short players, why not get our 3 bigs in there and get the ball inside? That’s where our mismatches were.
Because Williams is not a player who can score game in and game out when opponents can key on her as UConn's main scoring threat. She never has been and she never will be.

And the best way to defend the post when you have a smaller lineup is to pressure the guards, make it tough to pass inside while fronting the posts, cutting off passing lanes and cuts to the basket. If three bigs are in there who is gonna handle the ball against the pressure?

I would be surprised if anyone in the UConn program is looking for "moral victories". I do imagine they are looking for improvement. And if you don't see improvement since the Georgia Tech game, then you're watching a different game than I am.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
williams dribbles too much and is very predictable, uconn never took advantage of dorka mismatches inside. they need to practice low post entry passes to dorka. she should have scored all day on the guard. :)
As I have written at least a couple of times before, I had it beaten into my head that players should not start dribbling until he/she knows where he/she is going with it and what it will help accomplish. Never start dribbling until both those targets are clearly in mind. Alas, CW has not yet learned that. And as she does aimless, back and forth dribbling, everyone else waits,sometimes motionless, until it becomes clear where she might be going . . . and why. It paralyzes the offense and lets the defense off the hook. Compare her and her effect on the Uconn offensive movement to the several compliments on Carolyn and her use of the dribble (and cuts) and their effect on the team offense.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Just got back from the game so I haven't had a chance to read all the posts, so we will see what happens. I told my friend that even if Caroline just scored 6 points that this girl could be something special for us. I love how aggressive she is, you could see on every play that finding a way to score is her first priority. As Diana was, this girl is a scorer, and no matter who gets back in the line up, Caroline will continue to start. Again Dorka showed up, not so much in the scoring department, but rebounding and defense. ONO, well when she gets the ball in the high post and stands there for 5+ seconds, we are not going to score. EW and CW just have too many turnovers, and CW back and forth dribbling just wastes the shot clock. What happened to moving the ball around the perimeter looking for a great shot? The young kids are our future, but I think the future is now. Get Amari in there now, get her playing experience, so when Paige gets back we will have a team of youngsters with Caroline, Nika, and Azzi. I don't think we should wait until next year for these kids to make a difference, cause as I said, the future is now.

Reaction Score
I agree, but not quite the perimeter shooter as KLS, and much better on the dribble drive--she's a great slasher and shoots well with either hand....
KLS benefitted from playing with several excellent passers who understood how to draw the defense and kick out, swing the ball on the perimeter quickly, and skip pass crosscourt without hanging it halfway. CD will be very good when she has the time to set her feet like KLS did.

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game so I haven't had a chance to read all the posts, so we will see what happens. I told my friend that even if Caroline just scored 6 points that this girl could be something special for us. I love how aggressive she is, you could see on every play that finding a way to score is her first priority. As Diana was, this girl is a scorer, and no matter who gets back in the line up, Caroline will continue to start. Again Dorka showed up, not so much in the scoring department, but rebounding and defense. ONO, well when she gets the ball in the high post and stands there for 5+ seconds, we are not going to score. EW and CW just have too many turnovers, and CW back and forth dribbling just wastes the shot clock. What happened to moving the ball around the perimeter looking for a great shot? The young kids are our future, but I think the future is now. Get Amari in there now, get her playing experience, so when Paige gets back we will have a team of youngsters with Caroline, Nika, and Azzi. I don't think we should wait until next year for these kids to make a difference, cause as I said, the future is now.
Well said--it is obvious the strength of this team is the underclassmen--except for Evina and marginally, Liv, we gain nothing with their experience. I say we play the freshmen and all during conference play and let them gain experience. You see what little time it took CD to become meaningful, let's do the same with Amari and when she returns, Azzi too--let's move on....I appreciate the loyalty Geno shows his seniors but it's time to pass the baton...

Reaction Score
When they get healthy, time to hand the ball to all the youngsters.
I think if the seniors, especially CW can’t show her mettle now when we are decimated by injury, and you get outplayed by a freshman on your own team, I don’t think anyone will have any problems if Geno plays Azzi and Caroline more minutes over CW.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Gosh. Caroline Ducharme is REALLY good.
Oh, @Magy Cannon. Aren't you the sly contrarian! Don't you know you're supposed to be bad-mouthing everybody and their parakeet because UConn lost a game they could have won? Did you not get the communique?

And those seniors! Special treatment for them. And Geno. He continues to fall short with his recruiting, player management, game management, and offensive strategy. Woe is to all. :D

Seriously, I appreciate your well-timed, positive-only post. Keep 'em comin'.

Reaction Score
I’m not a fan of moral victories but given the loss of two point guards, I’ll take it.

Caroline and Dorka have shown consistent effort the last two games. The seniors, not so much.
I totally agree the seniors, especially CW is a big disappointment Evina is doing her best to run the point even tho she's not a true point guard and Liv is at least rebounding and passing with a little shot blocking but, CW is supposed to be a shooting guard and as a former #1 recruit she is not effective at all she can't create her own shot her jumper is off and she can't make free throws. The teams needs her alleged scoring prowess and right now she's a husky with all bark and no bite. She's a projected #10 pick in the upcoming WNBA draft. I for one don't see the value. hopefully she'll snap out of it because if Azzi and Nika come back strong and deliver then maybe CW should be on the bench.

Reaction Score
Normally, I do not subscribe to the "good loss" narrative. But...............today we verified two valuable additions to the squad that will strengthen our bench when Paige, Azzi and Nika return. Dorka and Caroline deepen the bench considerably..........and maybe add a sixth and seventh "starter".

We may look back, in March, to the injuries as a blessing..............the opportunity to broaden our options.

Reaction Score
Why does AE attempt anything but layups? She needs a lot of work on making those. Although she did make them today. CW wastes so much time dribbling to nowhere. Olivia just ok along with E. Probably saw Caroline’s season high today although I hope not. We need scorers. I thought overall I thought the effort was there just not the results. But when you shoot 50 plus% from 3 most times you win. Unless its 1 of 2

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think if the seniors, especially CW can’t show her mettle now when we are decimated by injury, and you get outplayed by a freshman on your own team, I don’t think anyone will have any problems if Geno plays Azzi and Caroline more minutes over CW.
More minutes yes but I don't think it is in Geno's MO to put Seniors who have contributed alot in the past to the bench. Start the first 4_ minutes and then have a quick hook ready if the play is not at the level needed.

Reaction Score
I'm Tired of Sub Par Performances by the Big Three. Westbrook(6), Williams(10) and Nelson-Ododa(5). They combined for 21 points. Williams disappeared on offense from midway 2nd Quarter to less then a minute to go in the game. This has happened too frequently in UConn's big game over the last three years. If they get their average, UConn wins by Double Digits. Prior to Paige's injury team relied on Paige, now it looks like Geno is going to have to rely on Caroline Ducharme for points. This was a game for the taking if the Experienced Seniors Showed up in the 2nd Half..
TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Reaction Score
As I have written at least a couple of times before, I had it beaten into my head that players should not start dribbling until he/she knows where he/she is going with it and what it will help accomplish. Never start dribbling until both those targets are clearly in mind. Alas, CW has not yet learned that. And as she does aimless, back and forth dribbling, everyone else waits,sometimes motionless, until it becomes clear where she might be going . . . and why. It paralyzes the offense and lets the defense off the hook. Compare her and her effect on the Uconn offensive movement to the several compliments on Carolyn and her use of the dribble (and cuts) and their effect on the team offense.
I couldn’t have said it better. Spot on

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The Edwards/Nelson/Dorka/Williams/Ducharme combo worked well. Westbrook was lost .. Williams is a sad Husky. She never really developed into a force ...
Yes, but why to start the 4th did Geno put ew back in the momentum they had at the end of the 3rd stopped. EW wax baf.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
An obvious question. How can a four year player in Geno's system still do that? I am not blaming Geno but the mistake you are observing is a high school mistake, maybe lower.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
During the press conference I believe Geno did a little dish on CW when asked about Caroline's hustling in today's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom