Louisville Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Louisville Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree--that's a criticism of one's character. I think what he is mistaking for a "doesn't care" attitude is CW's unresponsiveness at times with Geno's directives. She's heard it so many times over four years, the same thing and I think it gets a bit nauseating for both her and Geno...
I, on the other hand, think that “if” a player is told/coached to do/not to do something over and over and over and ignores that instruction/coaching, over and over and over, it shows that that player does not care what the coach is saying! (The only other explanation is that the player is incapable of learning/following those instructions/coaching, and that is clearly out of the question)

All due respect to our players, all of whom I respect and like very much! However, ignoring something that is right in front of us gets us nowhere. The interesting thing to me is why the coach has allowed it to go on for so long? Especially a coach like Geno, who basically “made his bones” in the women’s game by demanding more out of his players than other coaches did and then actually calling them out (publicly) when they failed to give it.

I don’t think the answer to that is as simple as he’s “slipping/lost it/gotten soft/stubborn” etc either! I believe it is a “perfect storm” of recruiting misses, roster make up, reluctance to change as they were winning anyway, rationalizing that it really only reared it’s ugly head occasionally in big games, innate reluctance to hurt one or more of his players (as they were winning anyway and he kept hoping/thinking he could hide it with coaching and subbing patterns, and probably more reasons!

Reaction Score
I almost never blame the refs, but there was 1 horrendously bad charge call against UConn in the paint (Ducharme or Dorka?) rather late in the game when the defender (In my opinion) was clearly inside the circle where no charges are called. I was at the game, so I didn't have the benefit of any replay. Anyone who watched on ESPN, who seen a replay indicating, one way or other, please chime in. This could have changed the complexion of the game. It was real close at that point
The charge was on Caroline. Looked like a charge to me but maybe I missed where it took place.

sun

Reaction Score
It was a close game up until the last few minutes when Louisville pulled away.
UConn had 14 TO's compared to 13 for Louisville.
And UConn made 42.18% or their FG's compared to 43.14% for Louisville.
I think that UConn got beat by turnovers and not enough offense.
Every UConn player made mistakes, it doesn't matter if they were made early or late in the game, there were simply a few too many mistakes and a few too many missed shots.
When the girls can't seem to find the handle on the ball, especially that late in the game, I chalk it up to fatigue.

Here's the box score:

And here's the entire replay.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While all three of the seniors underperformed in a game that could easily have been won, I was least disappointed with Liv as she at least played hard and seemed to be trying to make the right plays. Evina just didn’t seem fully committed today and, is not a natural (or very good) distributor, and seems to be unable to play well for an entire game. Of course, she is carrying the load of running the team right now. I love Christyn and am not trying to be mean, but she has to be the most disappointing and perplexing top ranked player I have ever seen! I am referring only to her play on the court as she seems to be a very good, kind, and decent human being. However, as a player, she has simply been unable to live up to even the most moderate expectations of a number 1 ranked player coming out of high school! She is maddeningly inconsistent, cannot create her own shot, doesn’t make other players better, seems to have little or no situational awareness, and rarely, if ever, steps up in “back to the wall” moments! Again, I know this is pretty harsh, but that is the conclusion that I have (reluctantly) come to with regards to her play at UConn! Unfortunately, I think this is what we can expect for the rest of this year. If Paige, Azzi, Nika, and (fingers crossed) Aubrey come back full strength in time, we may still have a puncher’s chance this year. Otherwise, we should just sit back, watch (hopefully) our three freshmen and Piath get comfortable and hope for the best! Next year, I truly believe we are headed for a different level and the rest of women’s college basketball are going to see a return to the “old” UConn. Be afraid! Be very afraid!

Pretty sure she’ll start playing more minutes as we go into conference play! He was actually trying to win this game. Go figure!
I understand what you're saying about Geno wanting to win the game, but comparably speaking, Liv got 5 points and 5 rebounds in nearly 30 minutes of playing time, and 3 fouls. I'm sorry but I feel Amari can equal this performance. I know she has her defensive lapses, but the Cards didn't really hurt us inside. I think Geno is going to be willing to give Amari more playing time very soon... Honestly, I think he's grown tired of seniors underperforming --the three of them played 105 collective minutes and scored all of 21 points...

Reaction Score
If CW would stop second guessing herself and play downhill...she would be a different player. She would live at the line. Aaliyah looked better. I wish they would have used her to pick off the harassers on Evina bringing the ball up the court. It disrupted the offense and if you ever played basketball that wears you down. UConn in general doesn't seem to pick as much as I remember. And the dribblers...are going too wide when they do get a screen...effectively negating the reason for the screen. BUT...despite the loss, I saw a relaxed team dealing with their current reality as best they can. Overall, I thought they played well. Just hope there are no more injuries as there's almost a staring 5 sitting and just watching.
When you can’t even pivot with the ball without being called for a foul when someone runs into you… not sure how any picks work anymore.

Reaction Score
I once again waited until I watched the game again to be sure I saw what I thought I saw. ONO played well until she had to sit with 2 fouls. When she returned in the second half she was tentative and played like she was afraid to get another foul call. Can't be productive playing like that. CW did not have a good game. Made what seemed like 2 3's but had a foot on the line when that really mattered. At one point the middle of the floor was empty and CW was all alone in the left corner. She stood there waiting for a pass which never happened because she was invisible standing still. Wide open for a cut that never happened. Her skills don't fit the offense well and it shows. She is a dribble driver not a passer. EW played steady but doesn't push the tempo like Nika does. She is a great complimentary piece but not the lead. Caroline Ducharme was outstanding and is beginning to show what she has. AE is beginning to get going but needs Paige to excel. Dorka is becoming the real deal. Amari got a little playing time but didn't seem to fit into today's game well. The team is beginning to gel and there are flashes of what it could be. If everyone gets healthy I bet the starters come tournament time will be Paige (hopefully), Azzi, Caroline Ducharme, Dorka, and Liv. The other 3 guards will rotate in for rest or spell someone having an off day. AE, Amari, and hopefully Aubrey will do the same for the posts. I'm excited to see the finished product!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Yes, but why to start the 4th did Geno put ew back in the momentum they had at the end of the 3rd stopped. EW wax baf.
Self correct. Evina had a bad game. Inbounding the ball not good there, plays had CD cutting down the lane open, not once was she passed to.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I object to the charge that the seniors "have given up." Not meeting your expectations, OK, but this is the second comment I've read in this post Louisville comments that go over the line into character assassination. Please stop that.
I am assuming your reference to me saying the seniors lack “mental toughness” is the other comment you reference since you gave me a dislike on the post; which is fine by the way, I have no problem with that. But if that is what you are alluding to, in a sports context that is far from a character assassination and your referring to it as that I do have a problem with. My comment is about court play and has nothing to do with the character of any player. Some players are tougher in competition and adversity on the playing field than others and that is just a fact and has NOTHING to do with them as human beings.

Reaction Score
The charge was on Caroline. Looked like a charge to me but maybe I missed where it took place.
the charge was on CD but Liv should have never passed it to her. She had two defenders to navigate so it was setting her up for failure on the pass.

Reaction Score
It will be very interesting to see the distribution of playing time once everyone is back and healthy. I think Geno will continue to start the seniors, but I hope (and expect) him to go to the bench much quicker when the starters are not producing. I could easily see CD, Azzi and Nika to take 20+ minutes each (in total) from E and CW in games like today, and of course Paige to play 30-35 minutes.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
OK, I'll take your word for it. In real time it looked like the defender was under the basket, inside the circle. If you are right, I stand corrected. One of the problems of not having replays...
I was in section 104, so the play was right in front of us. I too thought she was inside the circle, but they didn't show the replay on the big board. I guess they would have if the was inside.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
the charge was on CD but Liv should have never passed it to her. She had two defenders to navigate so it was setting her up for failure on the pass.
Hubby commented that CD traveled before the charge, so who knows?

Reaction Score
I am assuming your reference to me saying the seniors lack “mental toughness” is the other comment you reference since you gave me a dislike on the post; which is fine by the way, I have no problem with that. But if that is what you are alluding to, in a sports context that is far from a character assassination and your referring to it as that I do have a problem with. My comment is about court play and has nothing to do with the character of any player. Some players are tougher in competition and adversity on the playing field than others and that is just a fact and has NOTHING to do with them as human beings.
I believe it has nothing to do with character and more to do with confidence and ability.
The term “go to player” comes to mind.
They have an anticipation, confidence and ability to be put “on the spot” and deliver with a coolness others cannot.
It is a rare combination of physical and mental attributes.
Paige has it.
It looks like Caroline MAY have it.
Christyn and Ono do not.
This is neither a criminal indictment nor a personal attack.
Some players have it and some don’t.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
CW looked lost out there again. I think Geno needs to have another heart-to-heart talk with her.....
When Azzi and Nika return, they and Amari need to play more and the seniors should play less.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Louisville bench played 75 minutes. UConn bench 19. One UConn starter (ONO) played under 35 minutes. Fresh legs matter.
He had Amari and Piath, both too inexperienced to put into a close game against a top team, and that was the extent of the bench yesterday

Reaction Score
When you can’t even pivot with the ball without being called for a foul when someone runs into you… not sure how any picks work anymore.
Yea...that call was atrocious. BUT, that's part of a larger narrative across WCBB...the flopping. Start accessing technicals and it will stop.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Perhaps we need to tighten the rules, allowing criticism of the quality of play, but not of the character of the players.
If you check the pinned “rules” thread on this board, those are exactly the rules. Unfortunately, after a loss or close game the critics, who have little appreciation for how difficult the game of basketball can be at this level, come out of the woodwork.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%
ESPN announcers talking about how she has grit and wants to play?
If she came down on the bad leg the wrong way and finished off any hope of returning this season, they would have said "What were they all thinking?!"
We all love Paige's dedication and her attitude as much as her skills, but this was just plain dumb.

Reaction Score
If you look at the aggreagated stats Liv is having a decent year. She doesn't deserve being criticized. She is still a top 10 pick. If anything, she looks better this year than last to me. We haven't played a lot of pushovers. It seems like every game is against decent cometition.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%
ESPN announcers talking about how she has grit and wants to play?
If she came down on the bad leg the wrong way and finished off any hope of returning this season, they would have said "What were they all thinking?!"
We all love Paige's dedication and her attitude as much as her skills, but this was just plain dumb.
Yeah it's dumb she was doing that, I thought the same....but Paige is Paige. You don't want to crush her spirit.

Reaction Score
Caroline highlights:

It's official:
Caroline is no longer "Caroline Ducharme".
She is THE "CD"
And as much as she may dislike the song "Sweet Caroline".....
I have to say "So good! So good! so good!"

Reaction Score
While true, we basically have no bench. We had 8 healthy players today, 5 of whom probably prefer to play Center. For the time being, CW, EW, and CD are going to log huge minutes, because there are no other options. You can get away with playing 5 guards, but you can't get away with playing 5 posts.

Unrelated to your post, but I understand the frustration with the seniors. But calling for CW and EW to hit the bench is just nonsense. Who is going to come in for them right now? We already have zero shooting on the floor. I don't think bringing in AE for extended stretches is going to help that.
There are no guards on the bench and the options are not good ones, but there is an option. Basically Aaliyah plays all the backup minutes for the guards, with her just playing the 3 with two of the three guards with her. You rotate the sitting of the three starters while Aaliyah is in.

One problem is because Aaliyah will have major stretches at the 3, she will usually not be available to help in the three big rotation with Liv and Dorka. If Aubrey was available that would be the answer, but in her absence that is where Amari potentially helps as the new third member of a three big rotation.

If you do those things the guards can get some rest. You have to be very precise rotating the guards for rest, Aaliyah and Evina are not playing their natural position, and you have to commit time to an untested freshmen, but clearly we cannot expect to win many fourth quarters against good teams. Being outplayed down the stretch with this 6 player rotation is not a fluke.

The trade off of course is this strategy might give you a better chance in the fourth quarter, but you might be trailing by a few more points heading into the final stretch if Amari fails etc., but I think it is a pretty low bar for her to get over and therefore a decent gamble. If she is just mediocre, that could be as good as our starters when their tank reads empty.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you look at the aggreagated stats Liv is having a decent year. She doesn't deserve being criticized. She is still a top 10 pick. If anything, she looks better this year than last to me. We haven't played a lot of pushovers. It seems like every game is against decent cometition.
A few days ago, Stanford played TN. Both teams had highly rated centers: Brink & Key respectively. Both centers got into early foul trouble, were completely ineffective and eventually fouled out of the game. In comparison, Liv was a star in yesterday’s game. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are no guards on the bench and the options are not good ones, but there is an option. Basically Aaliyah plays all the backup minutes for the guards, with her just playing the 3 with two of the three guards with her. You rotate the sitting of the three starters while Aaliyah is in.

One problem is because Aaliyah will have major stretches at the 3, she will usually not be available to help in the three big rotation with Liv and Dorka. If Aubrey was available that would be the answer, but in her absence that is where Amari potentially helps as the new third member of a three big rotation.

If you do those things the guards can get some rest. You have to be very precise rotating the guards for rest, Aaliyah and Evina are not playing their natural position, and you have to commit time to an untested freshmen, but clearly we cannot expect to win many fourth quarters against good teams. Being outplayed down the stretch with this 6 player rotation is not a fluke.

The trade off of course is this strategy might give you a better chance in the fourth quarter, but you might be trailing by a few more points heading into the final stretch if Amari fails etc., but I think it is a pretty low bar for her to get over and therefore a decent gamble. If she is just mediocre, that could be as good as our starters when their tank reads empty.
When Geno gave Evina a few minutes of desperately needed rest in the 2nd half, he did in fact sub in Aaliyah for her. Surprisingly, the 3 Bigs lineup was reasonably effective as UConn was able to finally feed the low post for several baskets from another Big at the high post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom