Lou, Napheesa and Crystal make U19 Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lou, Napheesa and Crystal make U19 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The U-19 Selection Committee:

Chaired by Jim Foster (Chattanooga), the USA Basketball Women’s Junior National Team Committee also includes NCAA appointees Melanie Balcomb (Vanderbilt), Lindsay Gottlieb (California) and Joi Williams (UCF); and athlete representative Kara Lawson Barling, a 2008 Olympic gold medalist.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's one thing to say she felt Cooper was really good or could've made the team; seems to me to be another to say she was the best guard there when she didn't make the team. Kind of an insult to the ones who did.

And to the selection committee. Holly is one of the asst coaches for the USA WUGs team so it's a little surprising she said that.

Reaction Score
Just wow on Dangerfield. Really amazing. Players of note cut:

Boykin
Williams (Gabby)
Tea Cooper
Kalani Brown
Joyner Holmes
Beatrice Mompremier
Nancy Mulkey
Destiny Slocum
Ana Wilson
Natalie Chou

Holy Crap! I bet Geno could turn this group of cuts into an NCAA FF team. Add a Moriah or a Dangerfield and you've got a possible NCAA Championship!

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The U-19 Selection Committee:

Chaired by Jim Foster (Chattanooga), the USA Basketball Women’s Junior National Team Committee also includes NCAA appointees Melanie Balcomb (Vanderbilt), Lindsay Gottlieb (California) and Joi Williams (UCF); and athlete representative Kara Lawson Barling, a 2008 Olympic gold medalist.

I imagine that Kara Lawson Barling…I seem to recall her game…has a splendid sense of what constitutes excellent guard play.
And I would be more than surprised if she has an anti UTenn bias.

Reaction Score
I hope that Gabby will not be too discouraged or bummed out to see two incoming UConn freshmen, that she will be competing with next year, make the U19 team ahead of her. Hopefully instead she will use this as motivation to work really hard in areas that she knows she needs to improve, and she'll come back to Storrs better than ever.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope that Gabby will not be too discouraged or bummed out to see two incoming UConn freshmen, that she will be competing with next year, make the U19 team ahead of her. Hopefully instead she will use this as motivation to work really hard in areas that she knows need improvement, and she'll come back to Storrs better than ever.
I think Gabby has one of the better attitudes of any player I've ever seen - her comments after not getting in vs. STanford I believe - "I need to play better to give coach a reason to put me in".

I think also, at 5'11", she really had very little chance given her diminutive size as a post player, and her lack of polished guard skills. My point is I expect it to continue to motivate her to work on the things she knows need to get better...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Quite an accomplishment for Dangerfield.

Dejanae Boykin also didn't make the team; a lot of competition at her position.
Though DJB has been cleared to play, my guess is that she is still rusty after being out for about 3 months due to the wrist injury, surgery, and recovery.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is it the name or the player that gets picked for the team? Is there a harder worker than Gabby? Look what she did for the Huskies: a guard playing with her back to the basket as a post. This after two injuries and not a lot of playing time her last two years of high school. Her instincts for the ball, whether it was a rebound or a steal were uncanny. Like they say, you can't measure heart. Gabby will be incredible this year. Now she has more time to work on her game. We're looking forward to watching you skyrocket this year, Gabby.

Who would you have left off the team in favor of Williams ?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is the first indication on how good Dangerfield can be. I am so glad she chose UCONN. This will lessen the blow of losing Mo Jefferson.
Having Crystal come in right after Moriah leaves is a little like having Kaleena come in right after Maya left: the best possible recruit to fill the void. If Moriah comes back to hang out after graduation, I want video of her practicing against Crystal. That would be priceless.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Having Crystal come in right after Moriah leaves is a little like having Kaleena come in right after Maya left: the best possible recruit to fill the void. If Moriah comes back to hang out after graduation, I want video of her practicing against Crystal. That would be priceless.

Isnt that against NCAA regulations? If not... it should be ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Congrats!

Not surprisingly, Gabby did not but I'm sure the experience was tremendous as she continues to work on her game.

Team members:

Katie Lou Samuelson
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield
Asia Durr
Aja Wilson
Lauren Cox
Shakayla Thomas
Gabrielle Ortiz
Azura Stevens
Chatrice White
Mariya Moore
Kristine Anigwe

Alternate: Ali Patberg

I'm familiar with most of these ladies and their skill set. They can engrave that trophy now. This team IS NOT going to come close to losing a game. Everyone else in the tournament will be playing for second place. As for Asia Durr making the team without playing (because of an injury), they already know what she can do.

If you remember, she was rated the #2 player (behind Katie Lou) in her 2015 class, and the #1 guard in her class. Asia is not an unknown. That's the problem when you invite some many talented players. Some very talented young ladies are going to be cut. I'm surprised that Holly Warlick would make a statement like that.

She's welcomed to her opinion, but those of us (along with the coaches and selection committee) that are familiar with the skill set of the guards that were selected know better.

JS

Reaction Score
If Moriah comes back to hang out after graduation, I want video of her practicing against Crystal. That would be priceless.

Isnt that against NCAA regulations? If not... it should be ;)
Ought to be against the trainer's regulations.

Sounds like a formula for six broken ankles.

No, wait, they only have four. Unless the help comes. Then the toll could mount.

Reaction Score
Is it the name or the player that gets picked for the team? Is there a harder worker than Gabby? Look what she did for the Huskies: a guard playing with her back to the basket as a post. This after two injuries and not a lot of playing time her last two years of high school. Her instincts for the ball, whether it was a rebound or a steal were uncanny. Like they say, you can't measure heart. Gabby will be incredible this year. Now she has more time to work on her game. We're looking forward to watching you skyrocket this year, Gabby.
Thought the same. But maybe a little rest will be good for her knee. I am paranoic about knees and am having pre-nightmares about Katie already.

Reaction Score
Holy Crap! I bet Geno could turn this group of cuts into an NCAA FF team. Add a Moriah or a Dangerfield and you've got a possible NCAA Championship!
Not only that. Geno could take them and beat the chosen ones!

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
It's one thing to say she felt Cooper was really good or could've made the team; seems to me to be another to say she was the best guard there when she didn't make the team. Kind of an insult to the ones who did.

You mean like Asia Durr, who didn't even try out but made the team?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Durr was at the trials for the entire time. She didn't play because she has a strained groin. It's quite possible her injury occurred while participating in USA BB's 3x3 trials 2 weekends ago. It's not like USA BB doesn't know her game or how she plays. The committee watched her play 2 weeks ago.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how many minutes Katie Lou Samuelson gets to play during crunch time. A'ja Wilson and her will be filling the same role and I suspect Dawn will go with A'ja. Katie has the better 3 point shot, and if Dawn would use A'ja more in the low post, they both could be on the floor at the same time for long stretches of time.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

No, I mean to the ones who played and made the team, obviously.

Durr being named to the roster without playing is a different issue.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how many minutes Katie Lou Samuelson gets to play during crunch time. A'ja Wilson and her will be filling the same role and I suspect Dawn will go with A'ja. Katie has the better 3 point shot, and if Dawn would use A'ja more in the low post, they both could be on the floor at the same time for long stretches of time.

I don't see them filling the same role at all. One of Lou's primary roles will be to help space the floor as I suspect she's the best 3-point shooter on the team. Wilson will do most of work in the paint where she did it on the U-18 team and for SC as a freshman. It could be Lou and Napheesa will be splitting minutes. On the U18 team Dawn started Wilson, Turner and Collier.

HGN

Reaction Score
Wbb , I just hope Katie Lou can stay healthy throughout the Tournament.... If she can I think she can contribute quality minutes.... But she always seems to tweak something or be limping with an injury and have to sit out. Here's wishing her good health and a solid tournament.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wbb , I just hope Katie Lou can stay healthy throughout the Tournament.... If she can I think she can contribute quality minutes.... But she always seems to tweak something or be limping with an injury and have to sit out. Here's wishing her good health and a solid tournament.

Always? Lou played for the U16 team in 2013 and led the team in minutes played and was 2nd in scoring. She also played for the U18 3x3 team and helped them win gold. Lou played for the U17 team in 2014 and led the team in minutes played and in scoring. She missed time at the 2014 Youth Olympics because of a sprained ankle but did eventually play and helped the US team win gold.

HGN

Reaction Score
Always? Lou played for the U16 team in 2013 and led the team in minutes played and was 2nd in scoring. She also played for the U18 3x3 team and helped them win gold. Lou played for the U17 team in 2014 and led the team in minutes played and in scoring. She missed time at the 2014 Youth Olympics because of a sprained ankle but did eventually play and helped the US team win gold.
UConnCat, always may be a stretch , but it seems to have been a lot lately. I , in some ways , would rather see her have a a healthy tournament than have a good scoring one. Of course I want the USA Team to win , but I am concerned about a healthy player coming out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom