Loss is on Hurley: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Loss is on Hurley:

Reaction Score
Bouk is 1 player of 10. Him having a bad game isn't the problem. When every one of your guards has a bad game, they haven't been prepared right for the game. That is the problem.

By the 14min mark or so, the only starter in was Carlton at one point. He may not have Hockey subbed, but it was close.

I mean, I'd love to hear your optimal substitution patterns for this game. The bottom line is that Indiana played pretty good D, Al got in foul trouble in the first half, and our bench guards stunk. It is what it is.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The biggest head scratcher for me was taking Sid out in the second half after he scored five in a row and had two good defensive rebounds. I know you want to get Akok back as soon as possible but the biggest problem with this team is they lack composure and confidence.

For all the bravado CV demonstrates he freezes in big game situations when things are tight. Prime example is the missed free throws.

Team played it’s best ball after the Akok blocks. It generated excitement and confidence for the team. The same thing happened with the Vital to Sid pass. Dan had no choice after Akok picked up his second foul but he did when he took out Sid.

Reaction Score
His sets are too complex, and give so many opportunities to turn the ball over. Would love to see him simplify the offense and incorporate getting downhill more.
I still don’t understand his substitutions. He has to be able to motivate guys in game more.
The most depressing aspect is IU isn’t good. But they were better coached and tougher tonight. Hope he owns this one.

Reaction Score
By the 14min mark or so, the only starter in was Carlton at one point. He may not have Hockey subbed, but it was close.
Yup, we had a nice lead (8 or 10 points) and Hurley pretty quickly put four starters on the bench (everyone but Carlton) and Indiana commenced to take us to the woodshed. We never recovered. It gave them confidence and momentum, and took us completely out of our game and the great start we had. I don’t get it at all.

Reaction Score
I mean probably had too long of a leash on Vital but Bouknight stood around looking terrified and Adams was indescribably awful tonight. Not sure what direction you go in from there.

Reaction Score
I didn't see any offensive adjustments at all.

He didn't bench his senior leaders when they made mistakes. That is coaching 101. Hold them accountable early.

The substitution patterns are hot garbage right now. Subbing 4-5 guys is okay vs Iona, but not any decent P6 team.

Our team looked frozen. Shocked by a big game on national TV. Including our coach.

Not enough fans are willing to put some of this on the coach. It happens. Hurley is very good--he isn't GREAT yet. The guy is only 45 or so. IMO He Mack, Oats and a couple others are the best young coaches in the game. It would be crazy to think he's infallible.
The sub patterns are a big problem it's almost right there with giving the four year guards carte blanche. We have two great players and we aren't really drawing up anything for them.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yup, we had a nice lead (8 or 10 points) and Hurley pretty quickly put four starters on the bench (everyone but Carlton) and Indiana commenced to take us to the woodshed. We never recovered. It gave them confidence and momentum, and took us completely out of our game and the great start we had. I don’t get it at all.
If the subs play well the starters get rest and we wear down opponents. The subs have played poorly two games in a row which is to be expected because of their inexperience.

Good to see you 33. Sad day learning we lost one of the good posters.

Reaction Score
Isn't every win and loss tied to the coach?

If you're a good coach, absolutely. Haven't seen Hurley's presser yet. Mack took ownership for the loss tonight.

Imo the best coaches always take ownership and keep the criticism of players in the locker room.

Unlike jimmy b. Not sure where Hurley falls yet.

Reaction Score
If you're a good coach, absolutely. Haven't seen Hurley's presser yet. Mack took ownership for the loss tonight.

Imo the best coaches always take ownership and keep the criticism of players in the locker room.

Unlike jimmy b. Not sure where Hurley falls yet.
Hurley is saying it, it's what we all know but unless he holds the two biggest culprits accountable during these games it won't change.

Dom Amore on Twitter: "“Probably 25 different ways we could have won that game but we reverted back to playing in a way that won’t allow us to beat good teams.” Dan Hurley" / Twitter

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hurley is saying it, it's what we all know but unless he holds the two biggest culprits accountable during these games it won't change.

Dom Amore on Twitter: "“Probably 25 different ways we could have won that game but we reverted back to playing in a way that won’t allow us to beat good teams.” Dan Hurley" / Twitter

just because he says it all the time, doesn't make it not true. it's always about February huskies anyway.

Reaction Score
outside taking a timeout when Indiana was making the comeback, i'm not sure what else he could of done. Gaffney, boutknight, and Adams gave nothing tonight. He went with his most senior guards and they didnt get it done.
None of them would have been as selfish as Vital was in the last 10 seconds and neither of them would have handed the ball off to the other team bc they could all handle the ball better the Vital. It’s true. Sad. But true

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Did anyone else have a problem with this...my dad kept harping on it, and it may sum up the title of thread.

We were up 9-10 points early, and then all of a sudden there's 4 bench players in the game with Carlton. We lose big Mo, and then the whole game.

Reaction Score
I didn’t have a big issue with that because Hurley wants to play a lot of guys and for the most part it’s been working for us. I had a bigger issue with him not calling a TO to stop the IU momentum.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Hurley should have eased guys in...no need to pull the starting 5 (minus Josh) after going up big. We were going nuts in 211, then it was so meh.

Regardless, Danny is allowed to have hiccups...and it is in Danny I trust.

pj

Reaction Score
I'm guessing Danny is subbing for next year - CV and AG will be gone and he wants Gaff, Adams and Bouk, next year's guards, to have a chance to play together. Maybe also, not learn bad habits from the seniors.

It's not a problem as long as they can coach those guys up fast.

Reaction Score
One thing I would put on Hurley is at 54-51, minute or so left, we call a TO. Out of the TO we got another bad contested Polley 3. They looked like they had no plan, can't have that coming out of a timeout.

Reaction Score
One thing I would put on Hurley is at 54-51, minute or so left, we call a TO. Out of the TO we got another bad contested Polley 3. They looked like they had no plan, can't have that coming out of a timeout.

Fairly certain he drew up a Polley three, we all wanted it. It's on Tyler not to force it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The first turnover didn't produce anything for UConn. Really baffled why Hurley went back to that well 21 more times.

Reaction Score
I mean probably had too long of a leash on Vital but Bouknight stood around looking terrified and Adams was indescribably awful tonight. Not sure what direction you go in from there.
He was in New York last night?

Reaction Score
All the young guys had really short leashes meantime CV and Ag could do anything and keep playing.

Our only offensive set appears to be a weave looking for a cra crack in the defense to penetrate. When that doesn't happen we do one of two things. Shoot a 3 (if we don't turn it over first) or go in to Carlton, who will then turn it over most likely or go up soft and hope that his baby hook goes in.

Why did Akok get pulled after starting with 3 blocks and that 3? It was like he was playing too well so Hurley pulled him? Akok was our best player, he needed more PT for us to stand a chance to win imo.

Hurley still seems to lack the ability to make in game adjustments to me honestly. We will see if that changes over time but he kept letting our players do the same thing over and over and over expecting different results.

The players play the game and definitely deserve blame, our guards were especially horrible. But Hurley was probably just as bad. Frustrating because as bad as we played that's one of those games you can still win.

98Uconn

NL1MF
Reaction Score
Did anyone else have a problem with this...my dad kept harping on it, and it may sum up the title of thread.

We were up 9-10 points early, and then all of a sudden there's 4 bench players in the game with Carlton. We lose big Mo, and then the whole game.
Exactly.... we were rolling and then there was a timeout and everyone came out including polley and akok who both had just had big plays. Changed the entire game complexion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom