Loss is on Hurley: | The Boneyard

Loss is on Hurley:

Reaction Score
As frustrating as guards were all things point back to game management, time outs, hooks, and play calling.

We wouldn’t be here without Hurley. He will one day be an unbreakable coach. I love him. I think he could have done more to minimize weaknesses and build lead we had.

Reaction Score
Hurley certainly had an off game. Happens. Hopefully he learns from it moving forward.

Reaction Score
This was not one of his better nights. I wouldn't say it's on him completely--it was a team effort like everything else.

If he takes ownership in the press conference, then I'll be fine with it. On to the next one--he's improving too. Still a young coach.

OK, what exactly would people have preferred him to do tonight?

And I mean something more than "play the guys on the bench who'd already looked overwhelmed by the moment"

Reaction Score
When Gilbert was out with fouls we got outscored by ~12. I liked that he put him in end of 1H even with 2 fouls.

He probably could have called a timeout during that run, but Gaffney and Vital both looked bad running the show. Bouk didn't look good when he was on ball. Who did you want at point? BAdams? Sid? That doesn't change once the game resumes after the timeout.

Reaction Score

And I mean something more than "play the guys on the bench who'd already looked overwhelmed by the moment"

I didn't see any offensive adjustments at all.

He didn't bench his senior leaders when they made mistakes. That is coaching 101. Hold them accountable early.

The substitution patterns are hot garbage right now. Subbing 4-5 guys is okay vs Iona, but not any decent P6 team.

Our team looked frozen. Shocked by a big game on national TV. Including our coach.

Not enough fans are willing to put some of this on the coach. It happens. Hurley is very good--he isn't GREAT yet. The guy is only 45 or so. IMO He Mack, Oats and a couple others are the best young coaches in the game. It would be crazy to think he's infallible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Personally, I think his sets need some work, the offense is very stagnant. Do some creative screening or something, our guards have the endurance to move around, but it’s always give the ball to Josh/Akok then wait til a guard comes to get the ball. We seem to get into our offense late.

Reaction Score
As I think about this loss, this loss thats gonna sit with me for 7 days. I can’t help but reflect on what DH said in one of his interviews. Can’t remember if it was pre or post or during practice but he caught himself from really saying what he wanted to. He was saying that this is only the second season of this rebuild and there’s a lot of old losing habits that has to be broken and we’re not a good team yet bc we don’t have everything a good team has. I surely believe him bc if we were a good team that 16-1 run Indiana had would’ve been us and not them.

Reaction Score
outside taking a timeout when Indiana was making the comeback, i'm not sure what else he could of done. Gaffney, boutknight, and Adams gave nothing tonight. He went with his most senior guards and they didnt get it done.

Reaction Score
I didn't see any offensive adjustments at all.

He didn't bench his senior leaders when they made mistakes. That is coaching 101. Hold them accountable early.

The substitution patterns are hot garbage right now. Subbing 4-5 guys is okay vs Iona, but not any decent P6 team.

Our team looked frozen. Shocked by a big game on national TV. Including our coach.

He didn't do the hockey substitutions tonight. I think the problem was that Bouk was frozen by a big game on national TV, and that caused all the rest of the issues. I don't think you can blame Hurley for that, and I don't think that will be an issue for Bouk that continues beyond this game.

Reaction Score
As I think about this loss, this loss thats gonna sit with me for 7 days. I can’t help but reflect on what DH said in one of his interviews. Can’t remember if it was pre or post or during practice but he caught himself from really saying what he wanted to. He was saying that this is only the second season of this rebuild and there’s a lot of old losing habits that has to be broken and we’re not a good team yet bc we don’t have everything a good team has. I surely believe him bc if we were a good team that 16-1 run Indiana had would’ve been us and not them.
He’s said almost that exact line in like every interview he’s done. Maybe it doesn’t help the confidence of the players to hear that all the time.

Reaction Score
He’s said almost that exact line in like every interview he’s done. Maybe it doesn’t help the confidence of the players to hear that all the time.

Yup. It's all about Year 3.

Reaction Score
He didn't do the hockey substitutions tonight. I think the problem was that Bouk was frozen by a big game on national TV, and that caused all the rest of the issues. I don't think you can blame Hurley for that, and I don't think that will be an issue for Bouk that continues beyond this game.

Bouk is 1 player of 10. Him having a bad game isn't the problem. When every one of your guards has a bad game, they haven't been prepared right for the game. That is the problem.

By the 14min mark or so, the only starter in was Carlton at one point. He may not have Hockey subbed, but it was close.

Reaction Score

Yeah, he said there would still be some WTF losses to come and this was certainly one of 'em. But he keeps carrying that AAC trophy around, and I wouldn't bet against him.

Reaction Score
I have always been a firm believer that you win as a team, you lose as a team. This loss is on no one in particular except for the UConn Huskies and it is best to keep that mindset if we want our UConn guys to continue to exhibit the comrade they have shown thus far this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom