Lordy It Never Stops | The Boneyard

Lordy It Never Stops

Reaction Score
A fan video of Xavier away game, but it is not about the game. Guess who it is about, doing what. She is remarkable.

Wow! What a giving person! Way more than a basketball player, for sure! I guess I had not fully appreciated the extent of her popularity with young girls! Hard to believe thre’s a better ambassador for women’s basketball out there. We are so fortunate to have her! ( and all this team, really)

Reaction Score
A fan video of Xavier away game, but it is not about the game. Guess who it is about, doing what. She is remarkable.

amazing. how's she do it? ... over and over, for years. gotta be a huge burden.

i know i would not want to be in her position. as rocky sez: remarkable.
Arnold Palmer was once asked , how many autographs have you signed ? And he replied “ all of them”

Reaction Score
Wow! What a giving person! Way more than a basketball player, for sure! I guess I had not fully appreciated the extent of her popularity with young girls! Hard to believe thre’s a better ambassador for women’s basketball out there. We are so fortunate to have her! ( and all this team, really)
You hit the nail on the head! You scored a bullseye!! You 're 100% right!!! Couldn't have said it better. Great post Cuango. You are one of the premier posters on the Yard. KEEP UP THE GOOD POSTS.GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Arnold Palmer was once asked , how many autographs have you signed ? And he replied “ all of them”
Interesting you said that. I got to see Palmer at Wethersfield on the final round. He finished 3rd. He was already famous. We followed him a lot of the round and while ficussed, he would make occasional comments to the gallery. His partner was an unknown in contention for the first time. Palmer, aware that the crowd was there for him, often reminded everyone to remember that the other guy was trying to win, so be courteous and quiet yntil they both had taken their turn. Although i don’t think Paige minds when our fans make noise when the other team is foul shooting, but she is a great role model.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interesting you said that. I got to see Palmer at Wethersfield on the final round. He finished 3rd. He was already famous. We followed him a lot of the round and while ficussed, he would make occasional comments to the gallery. His partner was an unknown in contention for the first time. Palmer, aware that the crowd was there for him, often reminded everyone to remember that the other guy was trying to win, so be courteous and quiet yntil they both had taken their turn. Although i don’t think Paige minds when our fans make noise when the other team is foul shooting, but she is a great role model.
Keeping the digression going: Use to watch Arnie at the Thunderbird and later the Westchester Classic. It's so counter image, but he lit up a cigarette at every hole it seemed. Didn't follow him often. Just too many doing it. Paige reminds me of him. Both so classy and composed under pressure.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She's been doing this since high school. I remember a video of her on YouTube showing her during her Senior year that she would stay late on road games just to sign autographs and take photos for everyone that wanted one. On some occasions she let the team bus leave because the line was so long and didn't want her teammates to wait. Attached is one of her YouTube videos, around the 41 minute mark you will see her with the fans after a game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The mention of Arnold Palmer reminded me I can relate to the feelings of exhilaration felt by young fans (and the not so young, too) when Paige signs for them or poses for a selfie.

When I was about 12 or 13 and already hooked for life on golf and a big fan of Mr. Palmer, I attended the Insurance City Open at Wethersfield and quickly learned the only way I'd get anywhere near Arnie would be to find a spot a few holes ahead of him.

As he played the par-five 16th, I positioned myself just off the 17th tee, right where he had to pass by. I was soon rewarded when, as he strode toward the tee (probably hitching his pants), I caught his eye and, for a second or two, I had his attention. I stuck my hand out and he gave it a gentle tap, saying 'hey, kid.' I was thrilled, no exaggeration.

Doesn't sound like much, right? Well, I've always remembered that and felt so proud 'til the day Mr. Palmer died that I had once, albeit briefly, bonded with my hero. It's not altogether a coincidence a few years later I was attending Arnie's college.

Paige is simply doing her thing, the wonderful person that she is... can we even fathom how many youngsters are stirred by those momentary interactions with their favorite player?:cool:

Reaction Score
Forgive us if we digress again, but I was at one of the Insurance City Open in Wethersfield in the late '50's with my father carrying our 2 foot high tubes, and on one of the holes...no idea which...there was a water pump with a common attached tin cup (nothing could happen like that now). The nattily dressed Doug Ford, probably plaid pants and a bright yellow shirt, took a drink and handed me the tin cup after he finished. Obviously, this was pre-ropes and pre-marshalls.

I guess just another example of fan-player interaction that can't happen anymore.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Her adoring fans AT AN AWAY GAME! Does any player have that kind of a draw at an away game, or sign as many autographs?
The NCAA should keep stats on selfies & autographs. It would be a two-way race between Clark & Paige. Although I think Paige has the edge because she just keeps on signing & snapping photos until everyone else is loaded on the team bus. :)

Reaction Score
We can debate if Paige is the best UConn player of all time, best shooter, better than Ckark, etc,,,,What can't be debated is what an outstanding and amazing young lady she is.
Her humility and generosity are second to none. She would stay signing autographs and selfies all night, if she could.
The young lives she touches and inspires is immeasurable.
The state, university and UConn basketball could not have found a better ambassador.

Reaction Score
IMG_0478.jpeg

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
important: paige isn't doing this because she glories in the adulation, i believe. i imagine meeting the crowds is a downright chore, at least after awhile. yet she has been doing it for several years because of, i reckon, a sense of duty -- not because of the ego-boost that would motivate many -- and because she simply enjoys being able to bring happiness to so many.

it's not easy being a celebrity (in addition to being all that's involved in being a fabulous ball player.) but it is easy for BYers to enjoy these moving videos of youngsters' elation at finally getting a chance to meet their hero. it's heartwarming.

bravo.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
important: paige isn't doing this because she glories in the adulation, i believe. i imagine meeting the crowds is a downright chore, at least after awhile. yet she has been doing it for several years because of, i reckon, a sense of duty -- not because of the ego-boost that would motivate many -- and because she simply enjoys being able to bring happiness to so many.

it's not easy being a celebrity (in addition to being all that's involved in being a fabulous ball player.) but it is easy for BYers to enjoy these moving videos of youngsters' elation at finally getting a chance to meet their hero. it's heartwarming.

bravo.
I remember reading somewhere that Paige signed her first autograph when she was in the eighth grade after she had joined the Hopkins High School basketball team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom