Looking at this season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Looking at this season

Reaction Score
ND should win the game, but I certainly would not be surprised if Geno and his team figure out a way to ambush the Irish in South Bend.

The only reason I am picking ND here is because of how early in the season the game is. If these teams end up meeting again in the NCAA tournament, after UConn has had a full season of development, it is anyones game!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The only reason I am picking ND here is because of how early in the season the game is. If these teams end up meeting again in the NCAA tournament, after UConn has had a full season of development, it is anyones game!
I absolutely agree with that logic. But I’m holding out hope that something happens, like the Baylor game 2 years ago, when an unproven freshman lit up the powerful Lady Bears for 19 pts as UConn stunned the team from Waco. So this year, Christyn can introduce herself to the country on national tv by going off for 30+ vs the Irish. ;)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I believe our 2018/19 Husky's will be a fine team; quick, high scoring, improving D, inventive, innovative.

But (on the flip side) surely a finesse team, hardly a banger in sight.

Teams like ND, Mississippi St. and Baylor certainly have the muscle to give us fits and even (on any given day) be decisively better.

Can Geno devise a system to maximize the positives and mask the liabilities?

One can be sure, it's vey much on his mind.

Reaction Score
We are in perfect position this season in many ways. First in recruiting. There are positions that will open up based on upcoming graduation. This will attract top recruits. Geno has had many top recruits wanting to come to UConn however some dont fit in and some go elsewhere for many reasons. Thats ok. Geno is looking for a special type player not just any top player. Many coaches are dying to get top players, Geno attracts them.

We have a very strong nucleus this year and 3 AAs in Lou Pheesa and CD. Thats alot of fire power and more importantly experience. We lacked a big in the middle and now we have her in ONO. She needs experience and she will get it this year. This UConn machine runs on defense and this year will be no different. We have speed at the guard positions, we have height on the wings we have great outside shooters to open things up and they can dribble penetrate. Our 3 AAs will lead this team and make it easier for the rest of the team to relax and develop during the season . Our 3 AA's can take a game over. Think about this. We have how many top 5 players and a 4 number 1 players and we have ONO who was ranked number 1 out of HS until she got hurt. Very impressive. So when I hear this years team may not be as good as previous teams remember we have more number 1 HS players then any other team in WCBB. What some of our underclassmen lack is experience and they will get it this season. I expect to see Megan Walker and a few others blossom this season. By the end of the season we will be really really good because we are all ready really good.

ND and Baylor look like our closest competition. They have experienced bigs. ND beat UConn last season because UConn was in foul trouble. ND usually beats UConn because of the foul differential. This season ND has some of their top players coming back from injuries. That makes they better...if those players can stay healthy and we still dont know how much playtime they can handle coming back from injuries especially later in the season.

Baylor lost alot but they still have Brown and Cox. Big strong and powerful. It will be interesting to see how defenses handle them. Every great team needs good guards and we will have to see how Baylor develops.

Geno has spacing this season. Meaning he has players coming in and players graduating. This years freshman class and next years class that havent verballed yet, imo is a positive because like the past few seasons they make our fans sweat it out, are in perfect position to come in and take over. I like Boston and DeBarry coming up. I like the guards because Crystal will be graduating after next season opening up a guard position.

We are ranked 3rd in the preseason polls. That takes alot of pressure off the underclassman trying to live up to a number 1 ranking. Having to face UConn still sits in the back of opposing teams minds. I really like our chances alot this season. I think we are better then advertised. I think we will see that especially later in the season as we develop. When the season is over the only thing that matters is another banner hanging from the rafters.
I am looking forward to this season like no other...

Reaction Score
I didn't say Walker was...but certainly Collier is and quite frankly that isn't even close. Looks at accolaids, stats, draft projections, USA team selections etc.. Word coming out of USA camp was that Collier was leaps and bounds better than the other college players. Shepard certainly has the advantage over MW, especially in the post. Shepard is good but you're talking about a POY candidate in Collier.

bballfan23-- --Right on! IMHO there is no comparison between Pheesa and Shepard! If, and it's a BIG if, Shepard makes a WNBA team she'll be coming off the bench!
She's slow and her game is limited! Collier was the last cut of the USA WC team and I've heard it was a close vote to keep her on the team! Collier can carry herself well at either a 3, 4, or 5.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She's slow and her game is limited!

Shepard's game is limited?

Above-average passer for a post, low-post scorer, jump shot with range to the arc, excellent rebounder, solid low-post defender (see NC game against McCowan). About the only thing you can ask from a post that she doesn't do is block shots.

Reaction Score
Shepard's game is limited?

Above-average passer for a post, low-post scorer, jump shot with range to the arc, excellent rebounder, solid low-post defender (see NC game against McCowan). About the only thing you can ask from a post that she doesn't do is block shots.

She is a good college player, but lacks the size, speed, and athleticism needed to be a solid WNBA player!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
bballfan23-- --Right on! IMHO there is no comparison between Pheesa and Shepard! If, and it's a BIG if, Shepard makes a WNBA team she'll be coming off the bench!
She's slow and her game is limited! Collier was the last cut of the USA WC team and I've heard it was a close vote to keep her on the team! Collier can carry herself well at either a 3, 4, or 5.

Right on! I haven't heard that in years. That dates us both, my friend. :D

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Not understanding the disdain toward Shepard she is bigger at your comparable position and showed that she was difficult for you to contain. Team USA had no 3's and Morgan Tuck was chosen as she was the only player to demonstrate she had some consistency from the arc. In fact the USA games showed that the college players there are going to have to adjust for the W game and that it will take them some time to do so.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
No one predicted last year’s team would enter the tournament undefeated, but they did.

Are you thinking of the 2016-2017 team? Because I think pretty much everyone believed last year's team had a significant chance of being undefeated entering the tourney.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Specifically 16-17. I read a few comments from some naysayers (same as this year) that UConn will probably lose to 1-2 of the elite teams on the schedule, but it didn’t happen. Somehow UConn found a way to win.

Scoring points will not be a problem. Getting stops will. UConn gave ND too many easy uncontested baskets last time. When was the last time UConn gave up 91 points? During the Stewart era, the Huskies habitually kept opponents under 60 points. How wonderful it would be if somehow they would make 60 points their high water mark this year on defense.

The point about the team two years ago is certainly true. The way they outperformed their expectations was to have two of their sophomores become Wade trophy finalists, and to have Gabby Williams ascend from good player to best player in the nation. There aren't that many candidates to match what three players did that season.

Reaction Score
The point about the team two years ago is certainly true. The way they outperformed their expectations was to have two of their sophomores become Wade trophy finalists, and to have Gabby Williams ascend from good player to best player in the nation. There aren't that many candidates to match what three players did that season.
Well 2 of those sophomores are now seniors. Crystal is a junior and a top 3-5 PG in the country & Gabbys shoes could be filled by committee. There isn’t one formula to win a championship.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Well 2 of those sophomores are now seniors. Crystal is a junior and a top 3-5 PG in the country & Gabbys shoes could be filled by committee. There isn’t one formula to win a championship.

Accurate, but it's hard for me seeing this team doing it when last year's more stacked team couldn't.

Reaction Score
Accurate, but it's hard for me seeing this team doing it when last year's more stacked team couldn't.
I agree with you that last year's team was stacked with talent but they weren't healthy and AZ was inexperienced at the post and couldn't get the 3 going and that can be the difference. If this years team stays healthy and progresses throughout the season then I think it is a good possibility for #12.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Specifically 16-17. I read a few comments from some naysayers (same as this year) that UConn will probably lose to 1-2 of the elite teams on the schedule, but it didn’t happen. Somehow UConn found a way to win.

Teams are often judged on paper, but I’ve never seen games won on paper. Games can be won or lost due to numerous variables that cannot be factored in or anticipated prior to the tip-off. Until I see different, I think this year’s team’s biggest challenge will be on the defensive end of the floor.

Scoring points will not be a problem. Getting stops will. UConn gave ND too many easy uncontested baskets last time. When was the last time UConn gave up 91 points? During the Stewart era, the Huskies habitually kept opponents under 60 points. How wonderful it would be if somehow they would make 60 points their high water mark this year on defense.
Foul trouble for UConn is the main reason for losing to ND and loosing most of the time to ND. It used to happen against Tenn. IMO UConn wins big last season in the FF against ND if fouls are not called early and frequently on UConn making them defenseless. UConn is a team that doesnt foul and against ND UConn is called for too many touchie fouls and ND isnt giving them the opportunity to drive the lane uncontested. I dont like it one bit.

Reaction Score
Hi Tony!
I’m sure this has been discussed on the board but I haven’t been on the board much this year, so I’m curious. Given what we’re hearing about Megan’s improvement in the offseason, what is your starting 5? We will have foul trouble occasionally so Ono and CW will get minutes regardless.

Reaction Score
Heavy ND influence on this board and in this topic. Normally doesn't bother me much but some of our folks are drinking their Koolaid. They are always pretty good, but I will take our chances in every game, every year!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hey there Boneyarders:

This chart looks at 9 top WCBB teams and examines their rosters and examines "gains" and "losses." Losses include graduation and transfers, while gains include freshman, players returning from injury and transfers becoming eligible. If there's a person or issue that is kind of a grey area (applying for a transfer waiver, injury to a freshman), it's noted in bold.

This chart is the brainchild and product of my McGraw's Bench colleague Baba Ghanouj, who often creates charts, quizzes, poems and all sorts of reasons to look for his byline on the Bench. If you want to read his lead-in to this chart please hit this link.

Otherwise, enjoy. If you have any changes, please let us know with a "reply" message and either Baba and/or I will pick it up.
https://ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=mcgraw;pid=62070;d=this

Dillon (for Baba Ghanouj)

1540407137792.png

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hi Tony!
I’m sure this has been discussed on the board but I haven’t been on the board much this year, so I’m curious. Given what we’re hearing about Megan’s improvement in the offseason, what is your starting 5? We will have foul trouble occasionally so Ono and CW will get minutes regardless.
IMO the Big 3 will start Lou Phessa and Dangerfield. I also see Walker starting and becoming a huge part of this team. We need to start another guard and Coombs Bent Gordon and Williams will get time.

Reaction Score
IMO the Big 3 will start Lou Phessa and Dangerfield. I also see Walker starting and becoming a huge part of this team. We need to start another guard and Coombs Bent Gordon and Williams will get time.
All the championships except 1999-2000 had Lobo, DT, Maya, or, Stewie. That team did have Sue, no one else has been good enough to win a Championship. Those were the 5 best to play at Connecticut.

Reaction Score
All the championships except 1999-2000 had Lobo, DT, Maya, or, Stewie. That team did have Sue, no one else has been good enough to win a Championship. Those were the 5 best to play at Connecticut.
Argument could be made that Tina was better than Lobo but I see what you’re saying.

Reaction Score
I'll gladly have my crow well-done and savor ever bite. What a terrific showing against the former #1 team. Ms. Williams was fantastic!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom