Looking at this season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking at this season

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
From what Ive been told ND will play 7. Short and sweet.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
IMO, all these matchups mean nothing when both teams prefer to push a transition game. There’s so many on the fly adjustments going on that these individual matchups rarely occur enough to swing the game either way. And UConn will have to play plenty of zone to protect that soft interior from foul trouble.
If it becomes a transition game then that clearly favors UConn. If that’s the case, we definitely don’t need to worry about matchups.

Regarding transitions, I completely agree with you: both ND and UConn like nothing more than to get out on the run and force the issue, either for hard drives to the basket or kick-outs for open 3's. I would imagine fans of the respective teams each think their teams do it better, but there's a lot to like about both teams. One element not to discount about the Irish on the break: First, ND group rebounds pretty well and they've got Turner back, who is superb at defense and rebounding. Plus, Turner, who often will be igniting the break with a rebound and outlet pass, runs the floor extremely well and will hustle down to join the break. And Jess Shepard is surprisingly nimble in the open court.

Zone. Now that would be a reversal! Last year, after Mik Vaughn and Lili Thompson went down with the last of the ACL injuries, ND went almost exclusively to some kind of zone (usually a 2-3). In the first half, that was a kind of "sit back" zone so the team wouldn't get in foul trouble. It only "came to life" in the 3rd quarter. But still ND's mission was to outscore the opponent. Coach MM wants to get back to man-to-man, play some zone and even throw in some zone, perhaps using the four freshmen and two sophomores coming off the bench.

I've said it before and will repeat it here again, even though ND has the most talent I don't think they'll win the NC!
Their championship team had 6 players that knew they had to play over 90% of the game and each knew their jobs.
Now you throw in 5 injured players back in the mix and incoming freshmen and there isn't enough BB's to go around!
Last season was a perfect storm! Everything broke right at the end of the season for ND to finish 1st!
Everybody's jobs and assignments have changed! In the post-season tournaments they won't have "the LUCK OF THE IRISH" this go round!

A lot of fans on numerous boards have brought the chemistry issue, both as a blessing last year and a challenge this year. It's very legitimate in some respects, particularly in the early part of the season. Some thoughts, specific to your points:

- Of the four injured players, only two come back to the squad, Bri Turner and Mik Vaughn. And they both play center. And make no mistake, Turner is the starter and Vaughn the sub. A talented one, but a sub nonetheless. No worries about roles there.
- The interesting element is how Shepard and Turner interact on the court together. Will Shep go to the high post exclusively to demonstrate her mid-range jumper, passing ability and drives to the hoop? Or will they mix it up? Turner has allegedly been working on a mid-range jumper, so we'll see.
- Outside of that, you still have four starters returning and Turner is hardly an outsider, so I don't imagine there will be too much trouble there.
- As for the sophs (Vaughn, Danielle Patterson) and frosh (Jordan Nixon, Abby Prohaska, Katlyn Gilbert, Danielle Cosgrove), their time will be earned. I'm hopeful they'll all get chances to try to break into the rotation, but...
- By the time the playoffs arrive, I be there will be very well-established rotation that is not all that large. (Betting Vaughn and Nixon are two of those in what will probably be 7 or 8 players.)

Fully expect that Geno will have a similar rotation by the time the NCAAs start. It's kind of what these coaches do....

Can't wait!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can list a lot of players who could be considered in the "best" class who don't play for UConn. UConn does not get all the best players. Texas and Baylor get their share, along with some other teams.
OMG... I know, I know, I know... which is why I said there are lots of players we dont get ranked in top 10, 20, 30, etc.... but. As Tonyc said, we have more #1s than anyone else; likely 3 of them in our starting line up... along with a potential AA at Point Guard and another AA at The 4 or where ever Pheess plays...thus the arguments from others that UCONN gets all the best players.... I have argued the point many times in response to others on ESPN comment pages and other sites... we may get more #1s... but there are so many more top players out there we dont get. Maybe u didn't detect my sarcasm???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
High on optimism, for sure, but I believe others, with far more knowledge of the game than I possess, may challenge a number of your assumptions, Tony. CD an All-American? She hasn't been named All-American Conference yet, has she? ONO a "big in the middle?" I'm not so sure. I think most Boneyarders see her more as a 4.

That said, it's always better to see the wine glass as half full so I appreciate your boundless and infectious hopefulness.

That posting by TonyC was wonderfully optimistic as a True Uconn Fan
[old.

Reaction Score
I've said it before and will repeat it here again, even though ND has the most talent I don't think they'll win the NC!
Their championship team had 6 players that knew they had to play over 90% of the game and each knew their jobs.
Now you throw in 5 injured players back in the mix and incoming freshmen and there isn't enough BB's to go around!
Last season was a perfect storm! Everything broke right at the end of the season for ND to finish 1st!
Everybody's jobs and assignments have changed! In the post-season tournaments they won't have "the LUCK OF THE IRISH" this go round!

I have to agree --through the last 1/4th or `/`6th of the season Uconn starting five were nearly all walking wounded. Katie Lou was damaged and refused to sit--that has to take a toll at the end of the season. Danger with shin splints and in pain played way too many games out of necessity, that has to wear on the body and soul. Napheesa would only tell the her sister if she were as bad off as those 2 and she had to be feeling the many many minutes she was forced to play. The sixth person, ok the 7th person, was Megan and she was about half of the true megan walker. Azura is a scoring machine when Geno needed a post. Not one word against Z shall I enter here--she gave all she knew how to I couldn[t ask for more.

Notre Dame has the mystique of the Irish and the luck you can achieve with the help of refs.
The game, as the previous years game was lost in the very last second of play. They won and fairly won. I could moan and groan about the transfer players--the process may be tainted y the players played the game..

Reaction Score
Do we have a ton of size? No but we do have a lot of length. When you mention ND, Louisville, Baylor. Do you take Pheesa, Crystal Dangerfield & Lou in their 3 individual matchups? I would say absolutely!

ND...
Mabrey vs Crystal Dangerfield
Arike
vs CW
Young vs Lou
Shepard vs Pheesa
Turner
vs Walker

You can switch Walker & Pheesa depending on what u think the matchup will be but Pheesa wins both of those matchups.

Baylor has Cox & Brown. Brown can’t stay with Pheesa what so ever so I believe that matchup is her and Cox. Advantage Pheesa. But Kelani would win her matchup as we would be forced to double. Our 3 guards are heavy favorites so that’s 4/5 matchups.

Louisville, you only give Durr the nod. So again, 4/5.

Call me crazy but I like where how our team matches up. Lou, Pheesa & Crystal Dangerfield are as a good a combo as you will find. We just need either Megan or CW to really step up. I think both will have their games and take turns.

Add grittyness & hustle off the bench from ONO, Touly, Kyla, Coombs, Lexi etc. our team is well equipped for #12.
You seriously believe that Collier AND MW are better than Sheppard? I'm not sure that Collier is a match inside for Sheppard much less Megan. The best bet against Turner and Sheppard, IMO, is to make Sheppard have to come out and guard the perimeter. She struggled vs. Villanova in that respect. Allow those two to play in tandem and their guards will get many open shots.

Reaction Score
All I can say is this.... I am so ready for the season to start for both the women AND the men! I honestly can't wait!!
LET'S GO!!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Interesting!
Could even be right.

Reaction Score
I have to agree --through the last 1/4th or `/`6th of the season Uconn starting five were nearly all walking wounded. Katie Lou was damaged and refused to sit--that has to take a toll at the end of the season. Danger with shin splints and in pain played way too many games out of necessity, that has to wear on the body and soul. Napheesa would only tell the her sister if she were as bad off as those 2 and she had to be feeling the many many minutes she was forced to play. .

and that's precisely why I so often complained about Geno playing his starters into the fourth quarter with 25-35 point leads..........he may have stuck to his philosophy of earning playing time but it's possible it cost his team a better chance at a championship in the meantime.........

Reaction Score
Sorry, I love UCONN WBB, but we don't stand a chance at getting out of the ND game with less than a 20 point deficit depending upon how charitable Muffet is. They're a shoo-in for the NC and loaded from top to bottom. I suspect they will go undefeated easily.

As good as KLS and Pheesa have been, this team has way too many question marks. Crystal Dangerfield has shown some brilliance at times, but they are few and far between. CW could be good, but she could also be a disruptive force to team unity. Walker has shown little to date. Ono's effectiveness cannot be measured at this point. The rest of the bench will be much the same as it's been the past two seasons ... average at best.

I hope to be proven wrong. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry, I love UCONN WBB, but we don't stand a chance at getting out of the ND game with less than a 20 point deficit depending upon how charitable Muffet is. They're a shoo-in for the NC and loaded from top to bottom. I suspect they will go undefeated easily.

As good as KLS and Pheesa have been, this team has way too many question marks. Crystal Dangerfield has shown some brilliance at times, but they are few and far between. CW could be good, but she could also be a disruptive force to team unity. Walker has shown little to date. Ono's effectiveness cannot be measured at this point. The rest of the bench will be much the same as it's been the past two seasons ... average at best.

I sure hope your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek when you saw fit to produce this post. Much of what you have written is either trolling or just plain wrong, belied by UConn WBB’s history over the 30+ years that Geno & CD have been running the show.

I’m too lazy to look up the last time UConn lost by 20+ pts to anyone, but I seriously doubt it’s happened in the past decade.

Reaction Score
You know what, UConn women provide excellent Sports Entertainment no matter whom they place on the floor. I recollect, not too long ago, when Diana Taurasi, and four other young people won the National Championship two years in a row. It seems to me that Geno has the nucleus of some very good players who provide great competition to the other leading teams. Just as in the past, a few losses did not stymie the resolve of those players along with Diana Taurasi to put out their best and play competitively. That is what makes UConn, UConn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I imagine you will be.

Reaction Score
A transition game needs defense and rebounds to trigger it. It's yet to be seen how good UConn will be at either.
I kind of agree with this sentiment. The season could go one of two ways: Three to five losses and an exit in the Elite Eight. Or maybe just one loss in South Bend and ultimately a national championship. Neither would really surprise at this point. The one thing I would not expect, though, is another Final Four semi-final loss. If they make it to Tampa Bay in April, I'd hazard a bet that they're going to win it all!

Reaction Score
Has there ever been a team with three #1 recruits, from three consecutive classes (2015-17), in its starting line up that was considered an underdog?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Has there ever been a team with three #1 recruits, from three consecutive classes (2015-17), in its starting line up that was considered an underdog?
No, including this team. The 3 # 1's on this team and their respective HS classes are Lou (2015), Megan (2017) & Christyn (2018). Crystal messed everything up when she was only #2 in the Class of 2016.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I wonder why some people believe that the reserves have not improved at all. It would be more of a surprise to me if the reserves are no better at the start of this season than they were at the end of last season. If not, that would mean they have not been working on their game at all over the Summer. I believe some of them have too much talent to not have improved at all, and that includes Bent and Irwin. Just how much improvement remains to be seen, but I believe some improvement will be seen. They were playing pretty well at the end of the regular season.

Reaction Score
No, including this team. The 3 # 1's on this team and their respective HS classes are Lou (2015), Megan (2017) & Christyn (2018). Crystal messed everything up when she was only #2 in the Class of 2016.
Thanks. I was thinking I had someone wrong there.
So UConn only has 3 of the last 4 #1s on the team, plus a #2, #6 (Collier), and whatever ONO was ranked.

Reaction Score

exactly how is CW going to be a disruptive influence? Everything we know about her tells us that she is a great teammate and a really confident and positive personality

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I kind of agree with this sentiment. The season could go one of two ways: Three to five losses and an exit in the Elite Eight. Or maybe just one loss in South Bend and ultimately a national championship. Neither would really surprise at this point. The one thing I would not expect, though, is another Final Four semi-final loss. If they make it to Tampa Bay in April, I'd hazard a bet that they're going to win it all!
If we stay healthy, an Elite Eight exit would surprise me. With the triumphrat of Samuelson/Collier/Dangerfield and Geno coaching, I think we should be able to get to the FF. I don't think we've ever NOT made the FF with that kind of firepower.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

What evidence do you have that could lead you to state that Cw could be a disruptive force to team unity? Anything? Anything at all? She could grow cauliflowers out of her ears too, but it is not bloody likely! :confused::eek::p

Reaction Score

CW will be a disruptive influence -- on the OPPONENTS!!

Reaction Score
If this UCONN WBB team can stay away from injuries and/or sickness they are too athletic and have the best coaching staff in WCBB to not make the FF!
ND has to prove that they can put 2 great years together, back-to-back! They never have so far!
UCONN has the experience of being there, done that so they have figured out how to have great success year after year after year! No other college team has that on their side of the ledger!
Bet the ranch on UCONN having a great season!

Reaction Score

ND will win the game, but there is NO chance that UConn loses by more than 10 points!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom