Looking at the landscape if Wilson chooses South Carolina | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking at the landscape if Wilson chooses South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Strange you missed this one. There was what appeared to be a verbal dust up between Geno and an in your face Cappy P after a game at the RAC. Stringer immediately suggested that Geno had used racial language with Cappy, thereby seeking to justify Cappy's bizzare, hostile behavior. Stringer went off in that way without making any effort to verify. Indeed, she had not asked Cappy and was half a court away when the "incident" occurred. Cappy and Geno always had a good relationship and that continued; Cappy had just lost it at the end of a hard contest.

Correction: It was Big East Championship Game. Here is an article regarding Big East Commish clearing Geno. http://articles.courant.com/2005-03-11/sports/0503110057_1_geno-auriemma-cappie-pondexter-big-east

Oh yeah, no apology was ever forthcoming from Stringer.
The article does not mention any inappropriate comments about race. IMO a coach should never yell any comments to/at an opposing teams player while they are on the court. It's one thing for players to "trash talk" at each other, but for a coach to join in is very undignified. It was fine for him to complain to the ref, but he should not have yelled anything to Cappie. He also didn't need to say "tell her to shut the hell up". He could have said "tell her to stop the trash talking". CVS may not have publicly apologized for comments she made to the media, but Geno never publicly apologized for his behavior either. Cappie should not have gotten in his face, but she was the less mature of the two individuals involved and Geno's should not have been yelling at her. All three parties involved have long since gotten past this incident, but some fans never will.

Reaction Score
I am not talking about the state of Iowa. Her antics and tone were not appreciated by a number of other staffs.

What other staffs? Proof? Antics and tone? To what are you referring?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The article does not mention any inappropriate comments about race. IMO a coach should never yell any comments to/at an opposing teams player while they are on the court. It's one thing for players to "trash talk" at each other, but for a coach to join in is very undignified. It was fine for him to complain to the ref, but he should not have yelled anything to Cappie. He also didn't need to say "tell her to shut the hell up". He could have said "tell her to stop the trash talking". CVS may not have publicly apologized for comments she made to the media, but Geno never publicly apologized for his behavior either. Cappie should not have gotten in his face, but she was the less mature of the two individuals involved and Geno's should not have been yelling at her. All three parties involved have long since gotten past this incident, but some fans never will.
Not sure you have the details right.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What other staffs? Proof? Antics and tone? To what are you referring?
CVS was known as a whiner in the Big Ten concerning many issues. Her behavior supposedly had worn this with a number of the other coaches. She was considered an overly aggressive representative of Iowa's interests. As to what they were, specifically, I cannot say.

Reaction Score

It wasn't Cappy he was yelling at it was the ol trash talker herself Matee Anjavon. Ann Strother was about to take 2 foul shots when Matee yelled something very personal at Ann. Geno got very upset and I don't blame him. Cappy thought it was her he was yelling at ( although I think Cappy poking Geno in the chest should have been a technical). Yes I know what Matee said.

Sorry but CVS did play the racial card.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've read this article and a number of others including this one:
http://articles.courant.com/2005-03-13/sports/0503130158_1_stringer-cappie-pondexter-geno-auriemma
None of which corroborates your race card claim.

You know for a fact that Coach Stringer never apologized? You do not give any credence to the possibility of Coach Stringer standing up for her player?

Of course I give it credence. Cappy touched Geno in an unfriendly way. She coud have been severely disciplined. She had to distract from what Cappy had done. So CVS, ever the careful race baiter, immediately attacked Geno with no facts. Classless. Failure to apologize: gutless. And, listen, your complaining about the way CVS is perceived here and picking at it is only bringing it back up to those of us all too happy to have it far in the rear view mirror.

By the way, the article you sight involves Stringer ignoring the Commissioner's office directive that there was to be no more comment of his finding. She gets back out there beating her player's drum and still claiming some justification for her actions.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It wasn't Cappy he was yelling at it was the ol trash talker herself Matee Anjavon. Ann Strother was about to take 2 foul shots when Matee yelled something very personal at Ann. Geno got very upset and I don't blame him. Cappy thought it was her he was yelling at ( although I think Cappy poking Geno in the chest should have been a technical). Yes I know what Matee said.

No, it was Charde Houston who was about to take the free throws.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I was trying to avoid bringing up the issue involving Ann with my comment. It was a ugly as it gets.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ann Strother.

From the courant story linked above:

Late in the game at the Civic Center, after Rutgers' Matee Ajavon allegedly did some trash-talking at Charde Houston with Houston at the free-throw line, Auriemma yelled to official Dennis DeMayo, ``Hey, Dennis, you need to tell her to shut the hell up.''

I understand the Ajavon/Strother situation but it was Houston who was on the receiving end of Ajavon's comments when Geno decided he'd heard enough.

Reaction Score
I was trying to avoid bringing up the issue involving Ann with my comment. It was a ugly as it gets.

I totally agree. My dislike for RU stems from this and many other incidents, some of which were already mentioned. Since VA UConn has been a fan for 30 years he would know why.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Here is how strange history is created. Geno did not yell at any player as you continue to insist that he did. He yelled to DeMayo to do his job. CVS after the game used language to suggest that the thing Geno asserted directed to Cappie was so vile, so yaddaa yaddaa to lay out there that it had to be something racial. So it was perceived at the time and CVS did nothing to correct the impression. Of course, she did not know and had not had any time to try to understand the circumstances or what in fact had been said. She simply lied in a despicable way and stuck with it despite all witnesses to the contrary, including Poindexter!

We are being attacked for not liking your coach on a hijacked thread on a UConn Board. Strange day.:confused:

Reaction Score
I am not talking about the state of Iowa. Her antics and tone were not appreciated by a number of other staffs.
OK, sorry I misunderstood the post Icebear. I thought you were referring to hurt feelings at Iowa. Though I think the LadyKnights will be fine in the B1G but am concerned about FB !

Reaction Score
Here is how strange history is created. Geno did not yell at any player as you continue to insist that he did. He yelled to DeMayo to do his job. CVS after the game used language to suggest that the thing Geno asserted directed to Cappie was so vile, so yaddaa yaddaa to lay out there that it had to be something racial. So it was perceived at the time and CVS did nothing to correct the impression. Of course, she did not know and had not had any time to try to understand the circumstances or what in fact had been said. She simply lied in a despicable way and stuck with it despite all witnesses to the contrary, including Poindexter!

We are being attacked for not liking your coach on a hijacked thread on a UConn Board. Strange day.:confused:
I for 1 am very sorry if you feel that way because most RU fan's have nothing but respect for UConn esp the LadyHuskies and myself even Geno whose been amazing and are really hoping to have "youz" join us soon in the B1G. UConn and their fan's(like UConnell) deserves nothing less !

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have no idea what C-Viv was suggesting with her comment about what Geno said ("unbecoming a coach to any player, at any time, anywhere.''). Therein lies the problem. She withheld the facts (likely because she didn't have them) and allowed everyone else to fill in the void and assume the worst. It's no different than "Geno knows." It was cowardly and manipulative.

Having said that, several years have since passed and the parties directly involved have moved on. Many fans have too.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
OK, sorry I misunderstood the post Icebear. I thought you were referring to hurt feelings at Iowa. Though I think the LadyKnights will be fine in the B1G but am concerned about FB !
Many of those coaches are no longer in the Big Ten. She had her supporters, too. But she ticked off a lot of people.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I for 1 am very sorry if you feel that way because most RU fan's have nothing but respect for UConn esp the LadyHuskies and myself even Geno whose been amazing and are really hoping to have "youz" join us soon in the B1G. UConn and their fan's(like UConnell) deserves nothing less !

Hey, I have no love for CVS, but RU has always had a knowledgeable fan base and I am happy to see your team making headway this year.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what C-Viv was suggesting with her comment about what Geno said ("unbecoming a coach to any player, at any time, anywhere.''). Therein lies the problem. She withheld the facts (likely because she didn't have them) and allowed everyone else to fill in the void and assume the worst. It's no different than "Geno knows." It was cowardly and manipulative.

Having said that, several years have since passed and the parties directly involved have moved on. Many fans have too.
I agree(with moving on) and I won't defend the defenseless but were all just human and have to move past it like or not. It is what it is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That was an ugly incident and left a sour taste but it never went anywhere near the level of the TN situation nor did either the fan base nor anyone involved in the situation try to carry it beyond the week in which it occurred. Credit to the ADs for defusing it quickly.
Would it have been nice for a public apology from Cviv - yes, but I never felt it was necessary and based on the current relationship between Geno and her neither did they.
It was quite a while ago and personally I have moved on. I am not overly impressed with Rutgers in the intervening years nor with CViv's coaching, but they are an interesting team this year and maybe she has her mojo back. I suspect she may have lost sight of the quality of the players she succeeds with and got too caught up in ratings of the players she recruited for a few years.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Wilson will change the landscape if she chooses any university othe than UCONN. If she chooses UCONN the view stays the same.

Reaction Score
Hello! It's like a UConn forum! There is bound to be some lack of love for opposing coaches and doesn't mean any lack of respect ...

In this particular case, you can put me down both in the "Lack of Love" AND the "Lack of Respect" columns.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I didn't try to start up a whole discussion about to why CVS is disliked by UConn fans, B1G coaches, etc. I was just stating that I wasn't buying any of what Troyhouse was trying to sell. I was just here stating how excited I am about Rutgers future next year and beyond...

That's all.

Do I expect you all to respect or like CVS? No. I understand your dislike for her. Although her & Geno seem to be way past it. So there's that.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Reaction Score
I didn't try to start up a whole discussion about to why CVS is disliked by UConn fans, B1G coaches, etc. I was just stating that I wasn't buying any of what Troyhouse was trying to sell. I was just here stating how excited I am about Rutgers future next year and beyond...

That's all.

Do I expect you all to respect or like CVS? No. I understand your dislike for her. Although her & Geno seem to be way past it. So there's that.

Hope everyone has a good day.
I didn't think you were trying to stir the pot myself and you're post seemed innocent enough to me? I guess CVS is usually controversial subject matter on others boards but I'm glad we got her at RU. I'm concerned who were gonna get when she retires? Maybe Staley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom