Looking at the landscape if Wilson chooses South Carolina | The Boneyard

Looking at the landscape if Wilson chooses South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Right now I believe that if Wilson chooses Connecticut, UCONN will be the clear favorite over any other team in the nation for the next 2 years (probably more if Geno keeps hauling in top recruits.) However, if Wilson chooses South Carolina, it will create a much more competitive landscape for women's college basketball next year and most likely in the upcoming years. Looking ahead to next year, I believe these teams have the tools to be #1 seeds and potential championship contenders:

UCONN-Will have Stewart, Jefferson and a healthy KML. Loaded freshman class coming in, not to mention quality returners in Chong/Stokes/Banks/Tuck. For a team that has 0 depth this year, they'll be loaded next year and have 3 All-American favorites.

Notre Dame-Notre Dame will be led by Jewel Loyd next year. They return Taya Reimer in the post, bring in top recruit Brianna Turner in the paint, and also return their point guard Allen, and dead eye shooters Mabrey/Cable.

Duke-Still have Elizabeth Williams, Alexis Jones and a strong freshman class coming back. Duke will still be strong next year.

South Carolina-The return everybody. They'd also bring in Wilson to add on the wing and a top post prospect in Jatarie White.

Tennessee-Return everyone but Simmons, get in some recruits who will add depth and can help fill some voids in the lineup. Still have an extremely talented frontline in Russell, Harrison, Graves and Burdick.

North Carolina-Return everyone. All of their key players are freshmen and sophomores.

I don't think since 2006 or 2007 have there been so many teams that are so talented and capable of being a championship contender. Aside from UCONN, I think South Carolina, North Carolina and Notre Dame all have lineups that could bring home a title. South Carolina could be a lot better next year with White/Wilson, I'd look for UNC to mature and improve consistency, and Notre Dame is always strong and still very talented. All of this hinges on Wilson, because I think if she goes to UCONN there isn't any question that UCONN will be the overwhelming favorite with a starting lineup of Stokes/Stewart/Wilson/KML/Jefferson.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe, but IMHO SC is not nearly as good as their record or their ranking. Who exactly have they played? Not really a single top 10 team. Kentucky is showing they are no where near the top 10. UNC back in early December? Ok. The SEC is very solid this year, but I don't think a single team is final 4 material.

Clearly there are a lot of games left, but they have played a real cupcake schedule. They beat Winthrop by 8, squeaked past Arkansas by 4, beat a lousy Auburn team by 6, Vandy by 4 and Mississippi State by 7, and aTm in OT. Most of those teams just aren't any good, and SC "squeaked" past them.

It will be all ND and UCONN the next 2 years, regardless of where Wilson goes.

I should also add that I think there's about a 90% chance she goes to SC and 10% that she goes anywhere else. I'm thrilled to see SC poised to take over the top of the SEC and look forward to seeing Tennessee hopefully drop down further. Unless they add a top 5 kid from 2015 and a 2nd player in the top 10 from that class, it's going to be hard when they lose Harrison, Massengale and Burdick.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Maybe, but IMHO SC is not nearly as good as their record or their ranking. Who exactly have they played? Not really a single top 10 team. Kentucky is showing they are no where near the top 10. UNC back in early December? Ok. The SEC is very solid this year, but I don't think a single team is final 4 material.

Clearly there are a lot of games left, but they have played a real cupcake schedule. They beat Winthrop by 8, squeaked past Arkansas by 4, beat a lousy Auburn team by 6, Vandy by 4 and Mississippi State by 7, and aTm in OT. Most of those teams just aren't any good, and SC "squeaked" past them.

It will be all ND and UCONN the next 2 years, regardless of where Wilson goes.

You forgot wins at LSU by 17 and at Kentucky by 23. USC has a young team that doesn't lose a top 9 player and adds a top 5 recruiting class. We're much better than I expected, this season, as we have improved greatly. 24-2 and 12-1 in the SEC does not happen to mediocre teams.

Reaction Score
UConn, SC, and NC will be the three best teams next season. Tennessee will have the talent to compete, but needs a coaching upgrade. ND, Duke, Louisville, Stanford, etc., lose too much.

Last edited:
T

TroyHouse66

<<....watch out. So excited for next season.>>

But, don't forget that CViv returns...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You forgot wins at LSU by 17 and at Kentucky by 23. USC has a young team that doesn't lose a top 9 player and adds a top 5 recruiting class. We're much better than I expected, this season, as we have improved greatly. 24-2 and 12-1 in the SEC does not happen to mediocre teams.
You mean 18-8 LSU who is on their way out of the top 25 and 19-7 Kentucky who is on their way out of the top 20?

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see 8 teams from the SEC get into the big dance. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see none of them in the elite 8. Again, SC has not beaten a legit top 10 team this season, mainly because they don't play any. I'd be saying something different if they played UCONN, ND, Maryland, Duke, Baylor, Louisville, Stanford, or even Penn State.

And I think the gap between the top team, and then the 2nd best team, and then everyone else is kind of large.

I'm not saying SC hasn't been a surprise. So has Baylor. I think it's way early to anoint them as a NC contender.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
You mean 18-8 LSU who is on their way out of the top 25 and 19-7 Kentucky who is on their way out of the top 20?

I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see 8 teams from the SEC get into the big dance. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see none of them in the elite 8. Again, SC has not beaten a legit top 10 team this season, mainly because they don't play any. I'd be saying something different if they played UCONN, ND, Maryland, Duke, Baylor, Louisville, Stanford, or even Penn State.

And I think the gap between the top team, and then the 2nd best team, and then everyone else is kind of large.

I'm not saying SC hasn't been a surprise. So has Baylor. I think it's way early to anoint them as a NC contender.

Right on the money Eric. They really needed a tougher OOC schedule to be evaluated properly. They are good but we won't know until the Tourney how good. And while that's somewhat true of most teams, I still think it's UCONN then ND and then everyone else. That's this year. No doubt next year IF SC gets Wilson their stock goes way up.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If she goes to SC. I think that makes them a final four contender.
If she goes to Tennessee adding her to Harrison, Graves, and Russell. What a frontline that would be.
If she goes to UConn would give them another great player with the class. Overall another great team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She will not be going to Tennessee, it is either SoCar or UCONN.

Reaction Score
:rolleyes:

I am not even going there with you. You can take that CVS hate somewhere else...cuz I'm not buying any. Okay?

Hello! It's like a UConn forum! There is bound to be some lack of love for opposing coaches and doesn't mean any lack of respect for them, other than perhaps an exhibition of MORE respect for Geno. I think its as much acceptable if we were comparing a team player like Stewie to a Sims type single force. In this case, Stewie has forgone huge numbers to focus on a team effort with five good shooters offering an undefendable offense as opposed to a single easily shut down star without much comparatively in the way of a supporting cast. Perhaps that is the type of thing what the poster was referring to, an inability to conceive the type of approach that Geno has seemed to have mastered over the years (with all it's success).

I think that on a Huskies forum it would be expected to see more support than less for a UConn player/coach than another opposing team's player or coach. Sorry you are upset, but last I checked this forum's colors were blue and white. While I think a little more respect for CVS may have been in order, I can't buy into expressing too much in the way for love of an opposing coach or player, especially one that threatens UConn's success.

Thanks for being part of this forum (you have as much right as me), but it IS a Husky place, and discussion board. Kinda weird that maybe you forget that. Perhaps Husky fans are just too nice. :D:D:D:D:D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hello! It's like a UConn forum! There is bound to be some lack of love for opposing coaches and doesn't mean any lack of respect for them, other than perhaps an exhibition of MORE respect for Geno. I think its as much acceptable if we were comparing a team player like Stewie to a Sims type single force. In this case, Stewie has forgone huge numbers to focus on a team effort with five good shooters offering an undefendable offense as opposed to a single easily shut down star without much comparatively in the way of a supporting cast. Perhaps that is the type of thing what the poster was referring to, an inability to conceive the type of approach that Geno has seemed to have mastered over the years (with all it's success).

I think that on a Huskies forum it would be expected to see more support than less for a UConn player/coach than another opposing team's player or coach. Sorry you are upset, but last I checked this forum's colors were blue and white. While I think a little more respect for CVS may have been in order, I can't buy into expressing too much in the way for love of an opposing coach or player, especially one that threatens UConn's success.

Thanks for being part of this forum (you have as much right as me), but it IS a Husky place, and discussion board. Kinda weird that maybe you forget that. Perhaps Husky fans are just too nice. :D:D:D:D:D

There was a time when CVS tried to throw Geno under the bus playing a race card. More to the point, perhaps, has been her demonstrated, multi-year difficulty with player development and, most particularly, teaching effective offense. You will not find love abounding for CVS here Coler.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is interesting looking at the contenders down the road and I will say, on reputation more than any observation on my part, Dawn with Wilson and the rest of that team should contend. Next year they have added at least Uconn to their OOC which just by itself is a huge upgrade. UNC with Sylvia ... they have some amazing talent, but will she give them enough discipline to run off 4 wins against quality teams in an NCAA final two rounds? TN - I have the same question. I really do not know what to think with Duke - this year is a big disappointment to me and I don't particularly like them. (Though they have good fans!) Baylor - hard to say with this year being carried by their senior. Do the young ones step up? Davis is impressive, but she isn't going to carry a team. And what happens in the Pac? Some good recruits, but ... with Chiney gone I am not sure Stanford will remain in the conversation for a 1 seed - she is carrying that team in a different way than Sims but that is so much production to replace.

Reaction Score
There was a time when CVS tried to throw Geno under the bus playing a race card. More to the point, perhaps, has been her demonstrated, multi-year difficulty with player development and, most particularly, teaching effective offense. You will not find love abounding for CVS here Coler.

Would you care to elaborate? Asked because I have been following Coach Stringer's career for the better part 30+ years and have found Coach Stringer to nothing but complimentary and appreciative of Coach Auriemma and the program he has built at Connecticut.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Would you care to elaborate? Asked because I have been following Coach Stringer's career for the better part 30+ years and have found Coach Stringer to nothing but complimentary and appreciative of Coach Auriemma and the program he has built at Connecticut.

Strange you missed this one. There was what appeared to be a verbal dust up between Geno and an in your face Cappy P after a game at the RAC. Stringer immediately suggested that Geno had used racial language with Cappy, thereby seeking to justify Cappy's bizzare, hostile behavior. Stringer went off in that way without making any effort to verify. Indeed, she had not asked Cappy and was half a court away when the "incident" occurred. Cappy and Geno always had a good relationship and that continued; Cappy had just lost it at the end of a hard contest.

Correction: It was Big East Championship Game. Here is an article regarding Big East Commish clearing Geno. http://articles.courant.com/2005-03-11/sports/0503110057_1_geno-auriemma-cappie-pondexter-big-east

Oh yeah, no apology was ever forthcoming from Stringer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nor in sections of the Big Ten.
Well remember as far as B1G goes TSGrentz started to get lazy in recruiting and was offered the door and ran to the Illin with little to average success leaving home while CVS came home(Philly area) to a better more high profile job IMO at top pay! RU was either the 1st or 1 of the first to hire a paid WBB coach before it became a relatively popular sport so who could blame CVS for leaving Iowa for a job under the bright lights ? Unpopular in Iowa ?....where's the love? What have they done since but can they blame her ?

Reaction Score

Your efforts to explain the opinions expressed by a number of Boneyarders regarding Coach Stringer is appreciated. I wish I could believe that the lack of love is the result of a perceived threat to UConn's success. While there are very few coaches who own as many wins over UConn, it is still an insignificant number. The level of vitriol and the level of disrespect shown Coach Stringer on this board is unprecedented, unfounded, unwarranted, and unnecessary. Maybe I expect too much from UConn fans. Maybe the fans do not deserve the high esteem in which I view them. Maybe I should quit believing the hype about UConn fans being the best in the country.

Last edited by a moderator:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
VAUConn, take what Rocky wrote, add "jewel of the east", and add E.Prince's attempt to injure Moore, and that's why some of us have little respect for CViv. She's better at being offended, and lecturing, than apologizing. When my daughter, in high school, received an unsolicited Admissions entreaty from Rutgers, I replied, basically saying that I would not be writing a check to an institution that was represented by CViv. Everybody makes mistakes, but her refusal to acknowledge and apologize for her's in Cappygate is gutless.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well remember as far as B1G goes TSGrentz started to get lazy in recruiting and was offered the door and ran to the Illin with little to average success leaving home while CVS came home(Philly area) to a better more high profile job IMO at top pay! RU was either the 1st or 1 of the first to hire a paid WBB coach before it became a relatively popular sport so who could blame CVS for leaving Iowa for a job under the bright lights ? Unpopular in Iowa ?....where's the love? What have they done since but can they blame her ?
I am not talking about the state of Iowa. Her antics and tone were not appreciated by a number of other staffs.

Reaction Score
Strange you missed this one. There was what appeared to be a verbal dust up between Geno and an in your face Cappy P after a game at the RAC. Stringer immediately suggested that Geno had used racial language with Cappy, thereby seeking to justify Cappy's bizzare, hostile behavior. Stringer went off in that way without making any effort to verify. Indeed, she had not asked Cappy and was half a court away when the "incident" occurred. Cappy and Geno always had a good relationship and that continued; Cappy had just lost it at the end of a hard contest.

Correction: It was Big East Championship Game. Here is an article regarding Big East Commish clearing Geno. http://articles.courant.com/2005-03-11/sports/0503110057_1_geno-auriemma-cappie-pondexter-big-east

Oh yeah, no apology was ever forthcoming from Stringer.

I've read this article and a number of others including this one:
http://articles.courant.com/2005-03-13/sports/0503130158_1_stringer-cappie-pondexter-geno-auriemma
None of which corroborates your race card claim.

You know for a fact that Coach Stringer never apologized? You do not give any credence to the possibility of Coach Stringer standing up for her player?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
VAUConn, take what Rocky wrote, add "jewel of the east", and add E.Prince's attempt to injure Moore, and that's why some of us have little respect for CViv. She's better at being offended, and lecturing, than apologizing. When my daughter, in high school, received an unsolicited Admissions entreaty from Rutgers, I replied, basically saying that I would not be writing a check to an institution that was represented by CViv. Everybody makes mistakes, but her refusal to acknowledge and apologize for her's in Cappygate is gutless.
She is the master of victimology and the non apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom