Looked like Amida still struggling with hand | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looked like Amida still struggling with hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Almost looked like he reinjured at one point. Has trouble holding onto ball
For better or worst, his being back has given the team a lift. the look of a dangerous team come March. As long as we don't revert back the last few games. Two left with SMU are huge.

Reaction Score
He doesn't have Shonn's footwork, obviously, but he's always been hyper aware of the basket with his back to it when inside of 3 feet. He makes pretty good decisions when he can dunk it on the oop or when he needs to take it back down and he's been adept at using the rim to ward off defenders coming in on the other side. We've seen him reach behind his head with his back to the basket and lay the ball in without looking on countless occasions. He doesn't finish through contact or have a drop step or anything, but he surely doesn't suck underneath the hoop to the point where you would rather have him shooting from 15 feet.

Ok

Reaction Score
There were probably 3 shots he usually slams with authority that he tried to drop in. Maybe afraid to hit his hand on the rim? Enoch though nearly tore the stansion down! Start Enoch! Jk

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's always missed passes so it's not that, the lay ups maybe but this isn't an offensive juggernaut anyway so no sense in worrying about that. He's there to block shots and keep people away, when he's not doing that we will need to worry.

And dunk lobs. Did that pretty well yesterday.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As bad as Amida is at handling passes and offensive moves with the ball, this injury has made it worse. That said his 20 minutes of lobs and shot alterations give us something we need. Wonder how long he has to be taped?

Wouldn't be surprised if he has some sort of support for the rest of the season as a precautionary measure. No point in risking reinjury. As mau said, it's not like he's gonna hit 6-12 footers all over the place anyway.

C

Chief00

The sad part is we can't tell if he us missing passes because of the injury or its just the norm.

Reaction Score
The sad part is we can't tell if he us missing passes because of the injury or its just the norm.

Sad part for the guard is Ab had zero TO's LOL. These guys get TO's for balls that should have been caught who the hell was the official scorekeeper?

The post pass hit him in the hands I believe from Gibbsy and the quick flip from Jalen (sweet look) he was not ready at all for. Neither can be a TO for the passer but somehow are. I don't think either were the finger instead just not prepared, not new.

C

Chief00

Sad part for the guard is Ab had zero TO's LOL. These guys get TO's for balls that should have been caught who the hell was the official scorekeeper?

The post pass hit him in the hands I believe from Gibbsy and the quick flip from Jalen (sweet look) he was not ready at all for. Neither can be a TO for the passer but somehow are. I don't think either were the finger instead just not prepared, not new.

Quite frankly, Cousy use to say a point guard was responsible for that too - it's his responsibility to know who to pass it to where. If a guy can't catch a certain pass - don't pass it. If a Big couldn't score from a spot on the floor don't pass it to him.
Now Purvis again standing out of bounds - that's a whole other question. George Blaney use to say he never stood out of bounds his entire basketball career when Jerome had that habit. It's really a sign of a lack of court awareness and not being alert and focused on the details of the game. Quite frankly, there are few things in the game that annoy be more than seeing someone in a UConn uniform do that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, Cousy use to say a point guard was responsible for that too - it's his responsibility to know who to pass it to where. If a guy can't catch a certain pass - don't pass it. If a Big couldn't score from a spot on the floor don't pass it to him.
Now Purvis again standing out of bounds - that's a whole other question. George Blaney use to say he never stood out of bounds his entire basketball career when Jerome had that habit. It's really a sign of a lack of court awareness and not being alert and focused on the details of the game. Quite frankly, there are few things in the game that annoy be more than seeing someone in a UConn uniform do that.
I was much more annoyed that DHam couldn't stay within five feet of Prince Williams. That resulted in the guy torching UConn for 21 points. He got nada once Rodney was assigned to him defensively. Not a bad performance for a player who isn't alert and focused on the details of the game.

Reaction Score
Almost looked like he reinjured at one point. Has trouble holding onto ball

I only saw it on TV, but at one point I thought it did look like he hurt his hand. It was after a block and it looked like he held the hand like it hurt.

C

Chief00

I was much more annoyed that DHam couldn't stay within five feet of Prince Williams. That resulted in the guy torching UConn for 21 points. He got nada once Rodney was assigned to him defensively. Not a bad performance for a player who isn't alert and focused on the details of the game.

Agreed paying attention to your man - knowing the scouting report on him, etc is key - when we take a team away from standing on the three line and move them back another 2 or 3 feet - it's amazing what a difference that makes.

Reaction Score

A very valid point Chief and Cousy did have that correct. I mean you need to get the ball to AB in position that he's comfortable in scoring, and that's not too many. The more you think of it the pass into him cutting the lane by Gibbs is a bad pass anyway because his back was to the basket and only bad things can happen so in this case Cousy ball wins. In the other care, Jalen flipped a quick underhanded pass to him alone for a dunk, he needs to be ready. But again know who you are passing it to and where.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
A very valid point Chief and Cousy did have that correct. I mean you need to get the ball to AB in position that he's comfortable in scoring, and that's not too many. The more you think of it the pass into him cutting the lane by Gibbs is a bad pass anyway because his back was to the basket and only bad things can happen so in this case Cousy ball wins. In the other care, Jalen flipped a quick underhanded pass to him alone for a dunk, he needs to be ready. But again know who you are passing it to and where.
I kind of agree with both thoughts. Can't pass to someone who can't catch, but at the same time if he's open...give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think Amida's finger was hurting him on the court, he's pretty much done the same things on the court for 3 years.

Reaction Score
I think I was right. Not killing Amida either --hes trying but that missed dunk cost the game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think I was right. Not killing Amida either --hes trying but that missed dunk cost the game.
He caught the ball fine. It looked like he took a step, then a hop, realized he traveled, and then dropped the ball? Who the hell knows..

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

More than any other boneheaded play? Nolan"s failed dunk. Purvis' missed lay-up and double dribble. DHam's TO, Gibb's horrible dribbling around,the final TO. God, too many to mention. They had 6-7 minutes of suck.
The only person I didn't see contribute to the sucking was Shonn. In fact, he came up with a huge rebound

intlzncster

Reaction Score
More than any other boneheaded play? Nolan"s failed dunk. Purvis' missed lay-up and double dribble. DHam's TO, Gibb's horrible dribbling around,the final TO. God, too many to mention. They had 6-7 minutes of suck.
The only person I didn't see contribute to the sucking was Shonn. In fact, he came up with a huge rebound

Too many guys thinking and not enough doing. Mix in some carelessness and that's an issue. Comes down to focus imo

Reaction Score
You don't even need hands to box out. And he still fails to do that.

Now I'm not a brimah basher like some here,but it comes down to my other posts and how KO and how he treats players differently.

Two rebounds last night for brimah. Thanks for the contribution. I think brimah has boxed out 7 total times in three years here. temple hit two there's at the end off of offensive boards where a 6'6 power forward grabbed the rebound right over brimah who was basically just standing there.

Does he ever get pulled for a coaching instruction? Nope. Not saying Enoch is great or the answer to all of our problems. But he gave us two huge hoops in the Memphis first half and showed a lot of potential. But he literally hasn't gone in since. Pretty sure Steve can get 3 and 2 in however minutes brimah plays ever night.

Reaction Score
I love Brimah, but he is what he is... a tall and looooong human fly swatter who can dunk the basketball when fed the ball on 10 foot alley oops from DHam... he's never been what we'd like him to be for a big man in the middle in terms of rebounding, but IMO, he gives us enough to win.. We have Facey and Miller and Nolan to provide more of the rebounding for us than Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom