Live by the 3............Die by the 3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Live by the 3............Die by the 3

Reaction Score
Our best player on a pure talent level is Hawk. He is a first round NBA pick in a couple months. We need him to be something close to that in big games. His talent is part of the thing that should set us apart from other teams. In the games at Marquette and last night he was a combined 3-19 from the floor including 2-12 from three (and one of those was a banked in 3 pointer). He was great in the home game at XL versus them. I read his quotes after the game and feel horrible for him. He has a sub par game rather than an atrocious one, we win kinda easily. I am focused on Hawk because he is the best player we have - the Ray, Rip, Kemba, etc guy that is supposed to be the guy other teams just can’t stop. Marquette stopped him twice. Hawk had open shots that he usually makes and nothing dropped - hopefully he comes back really strong this week as he closes out his time at UConn over the next month
He is not a Ray, Rip, Kemba type of guy. They were all national POY candidates. Hawkins made all conference because we put a 6th player on the team.

Hawkins is a really good player for us who has a lot of NBA potential. But anyone comparing him to Ray, Rip or Kemba (or Donyell, Okafor or Shabazz for that matter) is just setting themselves up for disappointment, because he is not that good a college player. Not even close.

Reaction Score
Some were lacking on the defensive end which was really disappointing.
What was it, 3 times in the 2nd half, that they left someone WIDE OPEN in the right corner, and Marquette hit the 3. No one was even close to him. THAT is terrible defense. Smart had his kids playing lockdown defense for 40 minutes. You can't have multiple lapses like that at tourney time.

Reaction Score
Our best player on a pure talent level is Hawk. He is a first round NBA pick in a couple months. We need him to be something close to that in big games. His talent is part of the thing that should set us apart from other teams. In the games at Marquette and last night he was a combined 3-19 from the floor including 2-12 from three (and one of those was a banked in 3 pointer). He was great in the home game at XL versus them. I read his quotes after the game and feel horrible for him. He has a sub par game rather than an atrocious one, we win kinda easily. I am focused on Hawk because he is the best player we have - the Ray, Rip, Kemba, etc guy that is supposed to be the guy other teams just can’t stop. Marquette stopped him twice. Hawk had open shots that he usually makes and nothing dropped - hopefully he comes back really strong this week as he closes out his time at UConn over the next month

Problem is it’s not just Marquette who has stopped him. Despite scoring a few points in a couple games in the last 5 he hasn’t shot the ball well at all as of late. He’s had to shoot a lot even when getting to the 20 point game or close.

He’s 24-68 overall and 12-44 from 3 last 5. It’s fixable no doubt but he can’t be that guy at the Dance if we are hoping to make a run at all. Needs to show up and play, both ends. I will be honest he’s much more focused on D when he’s making shots than when he’s not. That also needs to change bring it on the other end even during your struggles on O.

Time for him to show up or we can throw away the Ray, Rip comparisons. He’s not close but let’s see.

Reaction Score
Tell me exactly what is off on my post? Did we hit threes? Did Hawkins score? Did our defense have lapses? Did we hit our free throws?
Don't speak heresy

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of taking 2 threes to try to win the game down by 2. All we needed was an easy bucket to tie and go to overtime. Unfortunately no one can drive to the lane for an easy layup. I probably would have gone to Sanogo. But they insisted on taking a three. Oh well.
Have to agree here. I'm generally for not calling a TO in that situation as that helps the D as much as you. Our guys should be smart enough and good enough by now to get the ball up quickly and start the offense w/o wasting time. One thing about missing AJax is he pushes tempo whereas Newton likes to settle above the key. On the last play it took Newton 4 seconds to cross half court.

That said, Hurley had 7.5 seconds if he wanted to call a TO. In hindsight, maybe he should've called it. I probably would've put Alleyne in for Joey there (Joey had just missed two open treys and Alleyne is crazy enough to crash the hoop and draw a foul). Hell, Hurley could've been a hero to half the BY there and put Clingan in too along with Adama. You're playing for the last shot with Sanogo, Clingan, Karaban, Newton and Alleyne. How in hell would Marquette defend that?

Anyway, OT would've been fine. Marquette was losing the war of attrition. In the post game locker room speech, Shaka talked about getting five stops at the end of the game. Well, so did we. In fact, Marquette didn't score in final 3:40. Nobody scored in the final 2:30, which is something you rarely see with teams as good as this. We had better looks but couldn't convert.

Just to put on the record, after Marquette went ahead 70-66 at 3:40, here are the final possessions:
3:22 Alleyne pass inside to Sanogo blocked, TO for MU
3:10 Jones missed 3 (22 secs on shot clock)
2:43 Alleyne missed 3 (5 secs on shot clock), UConn rebound
2:38 Sanogo layup after Marquette tips intercepted pass to Hawk, who feeds Adama
2:22 Jones falls down (no call) resulting in TO
2:17 Alleyne feeds Hawk for wide open transition 3, missed
2:14 Rebound goes OB, called a jump ball, UConn retains possession
1:55 Hawk misses short contested floater bank shot, (2 secs on shot clock). Could've slipped a pass to an open Sanogo underneath. AJax fouls out trying to tie up Prosper.
1:53 Prosper misses front end of 1 and 1.
1:21 Newton uses a ton of time at top of key. Passes to Hawk with 4 secs left, Hawk has open 10 footer, but passes to Joey, who rims a trey with 1 second on clock.
0:56 Kolek misses twisting 8 footer. Sanogo rebounds.
0:49 UConn timeout.
0:41 Newton hits wide open Joey on left wing. Joey rims another trey with 15 secs on shot clock. Rebound goes straight down to Kolek, not boxed out by Sanogo.
0:12 Kolek misses a trey with 4 secs on shot clock. Sanogo rebounds. Maybe bad decision by Kolek there, could've run off another couple seconds and tried to draw a foul going to hoop.
0:07.5 Newton crosses midcourt... and it goes to hell from there. Newton dribbles for 4 seconds. Sanogo has position on his man at 3.5 secs for what should be an easy bounce pass and layup. Newton holds ball another 1.5 seconds before finding Hawk for a desperation three as clock runs out.

All in all, Hurley could've called a TO at 7.5 left. But other than that, our guys played pretty solid ball at the end and just didn't make shots.

Reaction Score
He is not a Ray, Rip, Kemba type of guy. They were all national POY candidates. Hawkins made all conference because we put a 6th player on the team.

Hawkins is a really good player for us who has a lot of NBA potential. But anyone comparing him to Ray, Rip or Kemba (or Donyell, Okafor or Shabazz for that matter) is just setting themselves up for disappointment, because he is not that good a college player. Not even close.
He’s our best player from an overall talent perspective and best offensive player. Anyone who thinks UConn can win against top teams if Hawk has games as bad as he did in 2 of the 3 Marquette games is setting them up for disappointment.

Reaction Score
We ran the sets that generated the good looks that we needed to make to win the game

We did not hit them. I anticipate we will hit them next week

I want to make this upcoming 13 seed cry
Did you really want Joey taking those shots though? He's a streak shooter and it looked like he cooled by that point in the game, he's also never been in that position at UConn where he's supposed to win the game for us.

Hawkins shot was a terrible look that he missed by several feet.

Marquette couldn't guard us down low, it would've been nice to get the ball down low one of those last five possessions to Sanogo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does it only count as .5 L because it was close?
Nope, but it doesn’t count as 1.5 either.

We lost to a good team in a game we could’ve won. It sucks, but it’s not the end of the world. Hopefully Hurley will learn from it and use it as motivation for the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Hawkins shooting effort at the Garden was Starks-esque, I hope he is practicing jumpers right now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Making comparisons to prior players it’s kind of a thing here. For what it’s worth, I see elements of Rip and Ray in his game this year. It wouldn’t surprise me if Hurley gave him film of them to watch and we know he had the opportunity to speak with both of them this year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Expected value of a 40% 3pt shooter taking 10 shots = 12 pts

Expected value of a 60% 2pt shooter taking 10 shots = 12 pts

You take the open shots that your shooters have a high EV of taking.

You also realize that 3pt shooters open up the game for 2pt shooters.

It’s really that simple.

The title of your post doesn’t really match with your point in the post.

Marquette got and made more quality 3pt shots. We just didn’t make as many.

The 3pt shot is not going away. Appreciate the effect it has in the game. It makes it a better game.
Lol these numbers from a season where you don’t know how guys are showing up on a day to day mean nothing when everyone is bringing their A game when it’s all on the line.

That’s partially my worry. Danny has no problem getting his team up to play hard. We consistently do that almost better than any team in the country. But in these postseason games teams tend to match that intensity.

The big question will be, how many possible A games from other teams can we survive?

We cannot afford to have C games next weekend.

Also, games are typically won by teams who dominate the paint. Because when everyone is playing hard, threes start to become half court shots. Think about our National Championship game in 2011. We were by all means a good three point shooting team that year but nothing was falling for either side. Being able to win in the paint won us that game. Because there’s just no way you can get threes to fall for 5 games straight.

Reaction Score
Maybe Hawkins isn’t that good yet.

He should stay and have his game evolve, put more muscle on and become a threat to drive to the basket.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Maybe Hawkins isn’t that good yet.

He should stay and have his game evolve, put more muscle on and become a threat to drive to the basket.
He has had some success driving to the basket recently. He did it successfully once yesterday, and probably should have tried it more. When his outside game is MIA, he should drive more.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Did you really want Joey taking those shots though? He's a streak shooter and it looked like he cooled by that point in the game, he's also never been in that position at UConn where he's supposed to win the game for us.

Hawkins shot was a terrible look that he missed by several feet.

Marquette couldn't guard us down low, it would've been nice to get the ball down low one of those last five possessions to Sanogo.
Hawkins was hit on the hand at the point of release

Reaction Score

The problem is that all of the guys you mentioned had dominant junior years. None of our past star players had huge impacts until their junior years except for Caron and he came in as an older freshman.

If these guys show any NBA potential now, they're gone after one or two years. Maybe he could be one those players, but it's not this year.

Reaction Score
We missed 3’s, they didn’t. They hit free throws, we didn’t. They played lock down D, we didn’t. Their scorers came to play, our’s didn’t. Maybe the bright lights of the big city was too much? I don’t know.
And yet if one of our last couple of shots went in then Hurley is a genius and the team played amazing. It was a 50/50 game between 2 good teams and we lost. We were within 1 shot of winning without Ajax most of the game & Hawk on a very bad night so the team overall played well.

Losing a close game to a very good team is not a victory and it sucked but this time of year you have to move on. Next week a loss ends the season so the team needs to get over it, not sulk, and get their swagger back.

Reaction Score
Last nights game was a perfect example of the uncertainty of constant outside shooting. Hawkins and Jackson were throttled by Marquette's, while closing in on Sanogo, whenever he got the ball in the paint. Outstanding defensive plan by Shaka Smart. By contrast, UC's perimeter D had multiple lapses in second half. Several times they did not rotate to the corner, and gave Marguette open looks, in which they didn't miss, while, in UC's case they did miss. Potential tourney opponents will be looking at this tape, and devising a defensive plan to throttle UC.
Sounds like Cooley’s plan in the first meeting with PC. Hurley must figure it out!!

Reaction Score
And why is that?

1. Because we were clearly only trying to get open for a 3.
2. Sanogo was isolated one on one in the post.
3. We didn't take a TO to call out a play in the last possession.
4. Driving lanes were open because everyone but Sanogo was on the perimeter. We just don't have anyone that can drive. Except Newton but he goes into the defender and doesn't get the call.
I agree. I have no clue why they play poorly.

Reaction Score
He has had some success driving to the basket recently. He did it successfully once yesterday, and probably should have tried it more. When his outside game is MIA, he should drive more.
He doesn't have a breakdown dribble drive though, most of his drives are off curls and screens. Still nice, just saying. Needs to be a set play.

Reaction Score
Last nights game was a perfect example of the uncertainty of constant outside shooting. Hawkins and Jackson were throttled by Marquette's, while closing in on Sanogo, whenever he got the ball in the paint. Outstanding defensive plan by Shaka Smart. By contrast, UC's perimeter D had multiple lapses in second half. Several times they did not rotate to the corner, and gave Marguette open looks, in which they didn't miss, while, in UC's case they did miss. Potential tourney opponents will be looking at this tape, and devising a defensive plan to throttle UC.
After Karaban ties it at 64, the guards close out the game going 0-7, also with a missed front end of a 1 and 1.

Only offense is 4 points by sanogo.

Marquette played good d last night….but they ain’t that good

Terrible execution. They had no answer for sanogo (or clingan or karaban) yet they collectively only put up the 2 shots sanogo made down the stretch. The bigs shot 14-20 for the game.
Marquette was in terrible foul trouble.

Doesn’t make a helluva lot of sense how the offense was executed to close out the game.

Reaction Score
I agree. I have no clue why they play poorly.
Well, I think everyone was concerned as it became close down the stretch. We just didn't have many close game opportunities this year. Here's the fact, without a set play, no one is great at breaking down the defender one-on-one from the perimeter to get to the rim. Newton is the best at it, but it wasn't working for him yesterday AND he was missing his foul shots. We were shooting the 3 ball poorly, save Karaban. I was ok with Joey's first 3, although didn't love it. Was not big on Hawkins shooting there as he was ice cold all game. First, would've like to see Sanogo post up. Second, a time out and set play for a Hawkins curl. Third, Newton driving. Fourth, if anyone was gonna shoot a 3, it should've been Karaban. He's proven he can hit the pressure shot, was 2 for 2 and hit the buzzer beater at the half the other day. Instead they went for the home run.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hawkins was hit on the hand at the point of release
Let's roll the Zapruder film on that...

1678552804167.png

Looks OK to me. That last frame is for the poster who said Hawk didn't kick out his leg.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
He doesn't have a breakdown dribble drive though, most of his drives are off curls and screens. Still nice, just saying. Needs to be a set play.
Sure. He has some decent speed and his length usually gives him an angle on the basket when guarded 1 on 1.

Reaction Score
We were 7/25 from 3. We hit one more last night we win. The fact that we missed 18 and still only lost by two tells me we played well in many other areas. I’m pumped for next week. We better take a full 40 minute beating to whomever is unlucky enough to get us in the first game.
UConn got all the correct shots.

For those who don’t like the 3. The dribble drive wasnt there. Marquette was taking the rim away.

That left shooters open on wing. Those are not difficult shots, they are not bad shots, and the right guys took the shots.

On the break, players are taught now to walk into 3s. It’s best time to take them since you have an O advantage.

The 3s in half court came off drives to the paint and kick. UConn needs to shoot better. They had high quality shots, right guys taking them. Make or miss sport.

UConn was 7-25. Probably should have been 12-25 with the quality of looks. Frustrating. But those were the right shots. They’ll go down this upcoming week.

I am rememberCalhoun yelling at Denham Brown once. He missed 3 or 4 open shots. Calhoun was like …”Can you make a shot?”

The expectation is that the players hit open shots at a high percentage. If you miss open shots, that is in your skill.

3s are not difficult. A dribble drive and a pull up from 15 is a much more difficult shot.

Reaction Score
In modern basketball, due to the volume of 3s put up, you have to be competitive from 3. Especially within refs not calling fouls in paint.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom