Live by the 3............Die by the 3 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Live by the 3............Die by the 3

Reaction Score
I wasn't crazy about the shot selection, but if we made just 2 of the 6 FTs we missed, we at least go to overtime. Make 3 and we win in regulation. Games lost at thr line are among the most frustrating.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Have to agree here. I'm generally for not calling a TO in that situation as that helps the D as much as you. Our guys should be smart enough and good enough by now to get the ball up quickly and start the offense w/o wasting time. One thing about missing AJax is he pushes tempo whereas Newton likes to settle above the key. On the last play it took Newton 4 seconds to cross half court.

That said, Hurley had 7.5 seconds if he wanted to call a TO. In hindsight, maybe he should've called it. I probably would've put Alleyne in for Joey there (Joey had just missed two open treys and Alleyne is crazy enough to crash the hoop and draw a foul). Hell, Hurley could've been a hero to half the BY there and put Clingan in too along with Adama. You're playing for the last shot with Sanogo, Clingan, Karaban, Newton and Alleyne. How in hell would Marquette defend that?

Anyway, OT would've been fine. Marquette was losing the war of attrition. In the post game locker room speech, Shaka talked about getting five stops at the end of the game. Well, so did we. In fact, Marquette didn't score in final 3:40. Nobody scored in the final 2:30, which is something you rarely see with teams as good as this. We had better looks but couldn't convert.

Just to put on the record, after Marquette went ahead 70-66 at 3:40, here are the final possessions:
3:22 Alleyne pass inside to Sanogo blocked, TO for MU
3:10 Jones missed 3 (22 secs on shot clock)
2:43 Alleyne missed 3 (5 secs on shot clock), UConn rebound
2:38 Sanogo layup after Marquette tips intercepted pass to Hawk, who feeds Adama
2:22 Jones falls down (no call) resulting in TO
2:17 Alleyne feeds Hawk for wide open transition 3, missed
2:14 Rebound goes OB, called a jump ball, UConn retains possession
1:55 Hawk misses short contested floater bank shot, (2 secs on shot clock). Could've slipped a pass to an open Sanogo underneath. AJax fouls out trying to tie up Prosper.
1:53 Prosper misses front end of 1 and 1.
1:21 Newton uses a ton of time at top of key. Passes to Hawk with 4 secs left, Hawk has open 10 footer, but passes to Joey, who rims a trey with 1 second on clock.
0:56 Kolek misses twisting 8 footer. Sanogo rebounds.
0:49 UConn timeout.
0:41 Newton hits wide open Joey on left wing. Joey rims another trey with 15 secs on shot clock. Rebound goes straight down to Kolek, not boxed out by Sanogo.
0:12 Kolek misses a trey with 4 secs on shot clock. Sanogo rebounds. Maybe bad decision by Kolek there, could've run off another couple seconds and tried to draw a foul going to hoop.
0:07.5 Newton crosses midcourt... and it goes to hell from there. Newton dribbles for 4 seconds. Sanogo has position on his man at 3.5 secs for what should be an easy bounce pass and layup. Newton holds ball another 1.5 seconds before finding Hawk for a desperation three as clock runs out.

All in all, Hurley could've called a TO at 7.5 left. But other than that, our guys played pretty solid ball at the end and just didn't make shots.
Great work there and good analysis

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I wasn't crazy about the shot selection, but if we made just 2 of the 6 FTs we missed, we at least go to overtime. Make 3 and we win in regulation. Games lost at thr line are among the most frustrating.
At least two were front ends of 1 and 1s

Reaction Score
Did you really want Joey taking those shots though? He's a streak shooter and it looked like he cooled by that point in the game, he's also never been in that position at UConn where he's supposed to win the game for us.

Hawkins shot was a terrible look that he missed by several feet.

Marquette couldn't guard us down low, it would've been nice to get the ball down low one of those last five possessions to Sanogo.
I was fine with Joey taking them. I would prefer Hawk or Karaban, but Joey is the most senior guy on the team and his (literal) only role on this team is to shoot.

I agree that playing through Sanogo is the best option, but I’m not upset by the quality of shots we got. Just missed them

Reaction Score
After Karaban ties it at 64, the guards close out the game going 0-7, also with a missed front end of a 1 and 1.

Only offense is 4 points by sanogo.

Marquette played good d last night….but they ain’t that good

Terrible execution. They had no answer for sanogo (or clingan or karaban) yet they collectively only put up the 2 shots sanogo made down the stretch. The bigs shot 14-20 for the game.
Marquette was in terrible foul trouble.

Doesn’t make a helluva lot of sense how the offense was executed to close out the game.
With Sanogo, Karaban, and Clingan down low, it could have......"COULD HAVE BEEN" a different outcome. Sadly, unless you have a big man with incredible talent, most coaches resort to wing, and outside offensive plans, and the big men mostly play supporting roles, to a large extent. Eventually, the CLASSIC BIG MAN, in college hoops, will be going way of, the set shot, hook shot, and underhanded free throw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom