Life is full of surprises & lucky to be alive | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Life is full of surprises & lucky to be alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery… Rooting for you! We're all about happy endings here. Except for Strummer.

I AM a big "happy ending" guy.

Reaction Score
Wow and scary. Good to hear that you're doing much better and on the mends. By the way, do you remember that we won the national championship for the fourth time? :)

As along as you remember your family, friends, and UConn hoops, you're doing great. Welcome back.

Reaction Score
Wow to read your post and how coherent it was, it looks like you are certainly getting better and stronger, which is good news.

Reaction Score
Wow, glad to hear that you;re getting better. Was this man your doctor?

upload_2014-7-17_18-27-29.jpeg

Reaction Score
I want to say a very heartfelt thank you for all of your support and, especially, all of the humor(I need it bigtime!). At any rate, I won't be able to post here regularly for awhile yet so a huge thank you to anyone who posts from this point on. It, as you all can imagine, is REALLY great to be back. And much thanks to all of the staffs at St. Mary's and Gaylord for all off the wonderful work they do; and, especially, to my neurologist(Kenneth Kaplove M.D of Waterbury Neurology Associates) who was not only great with me but extremely supportive for my family at a time when they were in dire need of it. And finally there are no words that I can use to describe my wife who is the love of my life(37 years) and absolutely the strongest woman I have ever known.

GO HUSKIES!!!
555.jpg

Reaction Score
OMG UConn Hoops1 it's great to hear your on the road to recovery. I had wondered why we hadn't seen many posts but at times I become afraid to ask in situations like these. Scary stuff but glad you're doing well and continued success in getting back to 100% - thanks for letting us know!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Welcome back! Scary experience....but we all know that UConnHoops1 ain't scared of no stinkin' encephalitis. He kicks it's @ss!

Best of luck with rehabilitation!

Reaction Score
Sounds like post viral encephalomyelitis…had it when I was 3 years old. Glad you are recovering.

Reaction Score
Great to hear you are making it through your ordeal. Welcome back!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Wow that's nuts, speedy recovery! It's so easy to take life for granted, sometimes I need a read like this to remember to live each day to its fullest.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Welcome back. Make sure you rest. The brain uses a ton of energy (not exhibited on this forum).

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I haven't been able to concentrate or focus for long periods of time so I haven't done any reading or posting here for quite awhile. On Mother's Day I suffered a series of relatively violent and difficult to control seizures(I have no history). I wound up in the ICU at St.Mary's Hospital in Waterbury for 4 days on a ventilator; and then on the Neurology Unit until I was transferred(on May 22nd) to Gaylord Hospital(and absolutely wonderful and very effective place) for rehabilitation until I was discharged to home on June 14th. It was determined that I had a virus(no symptoms at home but very elevated white blood cell count and fever in the hospital); and the antigens that my immune system created to fight the virus actually attacked my brain causing it to swell and leading to the seizures. Go figure! I have no memory at all for about 3 weeks of my life but the NeuroPsychologists tell me that is perfectly normal; because, when the brain started swelling, it literally shut down and stopped imprinting information. Thank God the NeuroPsychological Assessment done at Gaylord showed that the damage done to my brain(considered an Acquired Brain Injury) was to the white matter and it will heal slowly over time with little or no disability.

Right now everything is foggy,for lack of a better word, but getting better. And my primary issues are with focus,concentration, and verbal processing and, of course, getting my strength back(going to Physical Therapy). I have to take a variety of seizure control medications and see a neurologist but I think that is time limited. The recovery process is very slow and long(6-12 months). The diagnosis is post-viral encephalitis with seizures. I have been told by a variety of health care professionals that the mortality rate for what happened to me is extremely high and I should be very grateful. I certainly am that; and happy to be able to type this message and get back in touch with you idiots! ;-) I hope all is well with UCONN Hoops. I have a lot of catching up to do.

GO HUSKIES!!!
555.jpg
I'm very sorry to hear this happened, but very happy to hear you've pulled through. Best of luck in your recovery and thanks for sharing your story with us.

Reaction Score
Glad you are doing better. Keep fighting, think of what Jim Calhoun would do in situations like this.

Reaction Score
Best of luck with your recovery. My 37 year old son when through the same thing. He went down in December of 2012. He was at Yale New Haven and then Gaylord and into their Traurig house. It has been a long road for him. His main issue has been short term memory loss, but everything else is back to normal.

Reaction Score
You might be waffling. I'm positive about it. But he get's to realize that even with his brain recovering he's ahead of quite a few of us.
His ability to put together a coherent post puts him light years among half the Boneyarders!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
His ability to put together a coherent post puts him light years among half the Boneyarders!
If I read this at light speed it makes sense. When I put on the "breaks", I can't decide if you are being clever with how you worded things or you lost coherence with the statement "light years ahead of people". My feeling is your "obfusticated" statement is brilliant.

I would correct you on the ratio. Half seems to be reducing his recovery. Hoop Hound is most likely ahead of the majority of us.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear you made it through. But are you SURE you haven't been posting uder a pseudonym during your ordeal? Does the name chapwilwaug72 ring a bell?

Let's hope he doesn't have one of these moments

EdwardNorton_thumb.jpg

In all seriousness Uconn Hoops, good to hear you have the ability to feel foggy. I work in a healthcare facility and see these types of events derail someone's life more often than I would like. Here's to hoping the fog lifts soon.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Welcome back! Wishing you a fast & complete recovery! Many of us are foggy & confused a good lot of the time & have no excuse...

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Welcome back! Wishing you a fast & complete recovery! Many of us are foggy & confused a good lot of the time & have no excuse...

I would beg to differ.....many of us have lots of excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom