Life is full of surprises & lucky to be alive | The Boneyard

Life is full of surprises & lucky to be alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I haven't been able to concentrate or focus for long periods of time so I haven't done any reading or posting here for quite awhile. On Mother's Day I suffered a series of relatively violent and difficult to control seizures(I have no history). I wound up in the ICU at St.Mary's Hospital in Waterbury for 4 days on a ventilator; and then on the Neurology Unit until I was transferred(on May 22nd) to Gaylord Hospital(and absolutely wonderful and very effective place) for rehabilitation until I was discharged to home on June 14th. It was determined that I had a virus(no symptoms at home but very elevated white blood cell count and fever in the hospital); and the antigens that my immune system created to fight the virus actually attacked my brain causing it to swell and leading to the seizures. Go figure! I have no memory at all for about 3 weeks of my life but the NeuroPsychologists tell me that is perfectly normal; because, when the brain started swelling, it literally shut down and stopped imprinting information. Thank God the NeuroPsychological Assessment done at Gaylord showed that the damage done to my brain(considered an Acquired Brain Injury) was to the white matter and it will heal slowly over time with little or no disability.

Right now everything is foggy,for lack of a better word, but getting better. And my primary issues are with focus,concentration, and verbal processing and, of course, getting my strength back(going to Physical Therapy). I have to take a variety of seizure control medications and see a neurologist but I think that is time limited. The recovery process is very slow and long(6-12 months). The diagnosis is post-viral encephalitis with seizures. I have been told by a variety of health care professionals that the mortality rate for what happened to me is extremely high and I should be very grateful. I certainly am that; and happy to be able to type this message and get back in touch with you idiots! ;-) I hope all is well with UCONN Hoops. I have a lot of catching up to do.

GO HUSKIES!!!
555.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
God bless, Hoops! Sorry for your ordeal (which sounds scary as hell) but great to hear you are on the mend.

In terms of what you missed in the meantime, I think the only real thing of note is that Shabazz has unfollowed LeBron and deleted his tweets. Nothing much otherwise.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Then I will keep this reply short...very happy that you are still a contributing Yarder. And that you can remember that we beat Florida and UK in the Final Four!!

Reaction Score
That's some pretty serious sh&t you went through. Glad to hear you seem to be making a full recovery.

As far as the boneyard goes I can catch you up with a summary of recent posts.

ESPN hates us, Kevin Ollie is the best and apparently Thor is now a women.

Also Prince and Turtle de-committed and Jalen Adams committed.

Reaction Score
That's terrifying, glad to hear you're in recovery!

We also signed Jalen Adams, a 2015 pg out of (where else) Roxbury Mass. Watch a few of his mixtapes and you'll feel even better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Welcome back! I'll say a prayer for a speedy recovery for you.

Reaction Score
Dont forget to take a few humorous liberties while you still have a good excuse. You are very lucky, my cousin actually contracted bacterial meningitis in college which led to some permanent damage when it caused a stroke. Good luck and remember, push then wipe.

Reaction Score
. . . until I was discharged to home on June 14th. It was determined that I had a virus(no symptoms at home but very elevated white blood cell count and fever in the hospital); and the antigens that my immune system created to fight the virus actually attacked my brain causing it to swell and leading to the seizures.
You're UConn fan - have no doubt that this helped you in your recovery.
If you were a Syracuse, Duke, or Pitt fan, you would have had a very difficult time getting past the first two rounds of anti-viral medications.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear you are ok. My mother had an accident, suffered a fractured skull, and had a traumatic brain injury several years ago. She also did her rehab at Gaylord. Terrific place.

With my mothers brain injury we were told that the majority of healing and recovery take place within the first year. By sticking to her physical and mental exercises she was able to recover pretty well. It was a very slow and frustrating process though, and the majority of her real noticeable recovery and healing came in the final couple of months of her first year of rehab post injury.

Not sure if this scenario applies to you as well with your injury, I'm guessing it does. My best advice; be patient. Recovery and healing can take time and be frustrating, often times taking months and months of effort to see results, stick to it and be patient. Best of luck!

Reaction Score
Nice to hear you are better and do not expect any disability. Our health is very fragile at times and most of us take it for granted, myself included. I'm sure everyone remembers Rashad Anderson's staff infection, for example. It is simply scary that something like a virus, without any warning or signs, can affect you in such a traumatic and dangerous way. Great that you made it through and will recover. Now, about the $100 bucks you owe me....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right now everything is foggy,for lack of a better word, but getting better.
GO HUSKIES!!!
555.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow. Another kick ass reminder that
"life is what happens when you're making other plans" John Lennon

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger....and a better person (silver lining)
Glad you're recovering...God's speed and best wishes! :)

Reaction Score
Good to know you've come out on the other side in relatively good shape. Happy for you.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Glad to hear you're well.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Scary stuff. Glad you're back and hope your recovery goes smoothly and quickly. While we all obsess over UConn bball, this is just another reminder that its just a diversion from life. Live life and enjoy.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery… Rooting for you! We're all about happy endings here. Except for Strummer.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
You're UConn fan - have no doubt that this helped you in your recovery.
If you were a Syracuse, Duke, or Pitt fan, you would have had a very difficult time getting past the first two rounds of anti-viral medications.

I totally expected the response to be that "I am not a big virus guy". ;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Welcome back. Really glad you're on the road to recovery.

Avoid threads started by chapwilwaug72. Otherwise you might think you're having a relapse.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I am not sure the 'yard is the right place to regain focus, concentration, and verbal processing ...

I haven't been able to concentrate or focus for long periods of time so I haven't done any reading or posting here for quite awhile. On Mother's Day I suffered a series of relatively violent and difficult to control seizures(I have no history). I wound up in the ICU at St.Mary's Hospital in Waterbury for 4 days on a ventilator; and then on the Neurology Unit until I was transferred(on May 22nd) to Gaylord Hospital(and absolutely wonderful and very effective place) for rehabilitation until I was discharged to home on June 14th. It was determined that I had a virus(no symptoms at home but very elevated white blood cell count and fever in the hospital); and the antigens that my immune system created to fight the virus actually attacked my brain causing it to swell and leading to the seizures. Go figure! I have no memory at all for about 3 weeks of my life but the NeuroPsychologists tell me that is perfectly normal; because, when the brain started swelling, it literally shut down and stopped imprinting information. Thank God the NeuroPsychological Assessment done at Gaylord showed that the damage done to my brain(considered an Acquired Brain Injury) was to the white matter and it will heal slowly over time with little or no disability.

Right now everything is foggy,for lack of a better word, but getting better. And my primary issues are with focus,concentration, and verbal processing and, of course, getting my strength back(going to Physical Therapy). I have to take a variety of seizure control medications and see a neurologist but I think that is time limited. The recovery process is very slow and long(6-12 months). The diagnosis is post-viral encephalitis with seizures. I have been told by a variety of health care professionals that the mortality rate for what happened to me is extremely high and I should be very grateful. I certainly am that; and happy to be able to type this message and get back in touch with you idiots! ;-) I hope all is well with UCONN Hoops. I have a lot of catching up to do.

GO HUSKIES!!!
555.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am not sure the 'yard is the right place to regain focus, concentration, and verbal processing ...
You might be waffling. I'm positive about it. But he get's to realize that even with his brain recovering he's ahead of quite a few of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom