2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He’s a 2/3 wing who shoots, rebounds, does a little of everything well but is primarily a scorer.

He’s got good size but he’s not a banger or finisher, he’s a perimeter player/scorer. He’ll instantly shoot and fit in the offense, imo.
Took me a while to get there, but it just dawned on me: Daniel Hamilton.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I haven’t watched him enough to say definitively, is he a better outside shooter consistently?

I think his overall game is very Hamilton-esque, good call. So if his 3 ball is a step up, that’s why he’s top 10.

Reaction Score
But D Ham was a point forward. Great ball handling and passing. If Liam can do some of that im comfortable with him starting alongside Stew and AK

Reaction Score
Not sure how you fit Mcneeley, Stewart, and Karaban all into the same starting lineup

Good problem to have. In certain situations a PG (Diarra/Nowell) with McNeeley at 2, Stewart at 3, Karaban at 4 and the C would create some serious matchup problems. Not having the 6'6 Castle as a defensive stopper is the big ?.

I don't think anybody on this team inherits a starting role. I also don't think anybody on the 2024-25 roster is expecting to play 32-35 minutes like Newton and Spencer did. I think early season OOC games will be lots of 15-25 minutes runs for 10+ players and the rotations will take shape.

Reaction Score
McNeele
There it is. The Matrim smile.

Happy Will Ferrell GIF
but it’s a step down from the @Matrim55 wink. I’ll wait for that emoji before celebrating

Reaction Score
Good problem to have. In certain situations a PG (Diarra/Nowell) with McNeeley at 2, Stewart at 3, Karaban at 4 and the C would create some serious matchup problems. Not having the 6'6 Castle as a defensive stopper is the big ?.

I don't think anybody on this team inherits a starting role. I also don't think anybody on the 2024-25 roster is expecting to play 32-35 minutes like Newton and Spencer did. I think early season OOC games will be lots of 15-25 minutes runs for 10+ players and the rotations will take shape.
You don't think Alex Karaban inherits a starting role?

Reaction Score
Question for people in the know - viewing practices is a big part of the recruiting process for us, How would it work with these transfers we're after and with McNeeley? Presumably there won't be any practices to view for quite a while.

Perhaps i'm missing something
I read somewhere that Cam would watch tapes of practice. Could he view tapes to get a feel? He could also talk to Cooper, he’s seen them practice.

Reaction Score
McNeele

but it’s a step down from the @Matrim55 wink. I’ll wait for that emoji before celebrating

I'm not sure the wink will ever be deployed in this NIL era. Matrim got (so unfairly) criticized after Timberlake flipped to Kansas at the last moment, and I thought Matrim indicated that "the wink" was going to be mothballed.

Reaction Score
You don't think Alex Karaban inherits a starting role?
If you asked Hurley he would probably say "no'. But the statement refers more to the assumption of Stewart and McNeeley in a starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Karaban is locked in as a starter. He’s started for 2 championships. He’s locked.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure the wink will ever be deployed in this NIL era. Matrim got (so unfairly) criticized after Timberlake flipped to Kansas at the last moment, and I thought Matrim indicated that "the wink" was going to be mothballed.
Calipari and maybe Self will be throwing so much NIL money around. There will be some surprises. McNeeley is a clone of Grady Dick and Johnny Furphy so Kansas will be heavily in the mix.

Reaction Score

They don't play similarly at all outside of having a similar size.

McNeely is a low-usage, high-effeciency wing. Much better shooter than Hamilton. Hamilton was a point-forward who needed the ball in his hands and was a constant triple-double threat.

He's closer to Hawkins than Hamilton in usage, but not quite so one-dimensional.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Timberlake getting an over the pants handy from Bill Self and Artero Morris was the best thing ever to happen to this program.

Cam came along and fit in nicely.

Reaction Score
They don't play similarly at all outside of having a similar size.

McNeely is a low-usage, high-effeciency wing. Much better shooter than Hamilton. Hamilton was a point-forward who needed the ball in his hands and was a constant triple-double threat.

He's closer to Hawkins than Hamilton in usage, but not quite so one-dimensional.
Haven’t watched enough of McNeely, would you say he projects a bit like Cade Tyson from Belmont but a higher level recruit? He’s a guy I wanted to see UConn get involved with from the portal. Seems to sort of fit that mold of longer wing, whose super efficient & not a high usage type of player. Still shocked how Tyson wasn’t recruited out of high school given his pedigree.

Reaction Score
Haven’t watched enough of McNeely, would you say he projects a bit like Cade Tyson from Belmont but a higher level recruit? He’s a guy I wanted to see UConn get involved with from the portal. Seems to sort of fit that mold of longer wing, whose super efficient & not a high usage type of player. Still shocked how Tyson wasn’t recruited out of high school given his pedigree.

I haven't seen him play. I'll post my stuff on McNeely later...I've watched 2 games, gonna try to get 4-5 in while my wife is away and I can breathe without being told to fix something.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen him play.
He’s a good watch, big wing. Brother plays in the NBA and was former Mr basketball of North Carolina and for whatever reason didn’t get recruited to a high major. Sounds like he maybe UNC or Duke bound. Need to dig into McNeely more, if he fits into that high efficiency, not crazy usage mold.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you fit Mcneeley, Stewart, and Karaban all into the same starting lineup
I don’t see why he couldn’t play the 2. Also, they don’t all have to be in the starting lineup.

I mentioned in another thread that it’s unlikely we have a starting 5 as good as last years. So our strength is going to built into our depth. More like 2023 than 2024

Reaction Score

Agreed. Need another pure guard in there. Reminds me of 2022 when we had Martin, Jackson, and Whaley in the starting lineup. That was pretty much 2 SFs and a PF. Last season we had two pure guards in Newton and Hawkins. This season we had 3 pure guards in the Newton, Spencer, and Castle. I have a very hard time believing Stewart comes off the bench next year but Diarra, Ball, and McNeely at the 1/2/3 is very well rounded.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If you asked Hurley he would probably say "no'. But the statement refers more to the assumption of Stewart and McNeeley in a starting lineup.

Hurley would say yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32