2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tom is the perfect guy for the acting GM role based on his extensive background. Have heard Dan repeatedly refer/imply that Tom has been helping in that capacity for the last month.

The fact that Dan took the time to speak to a HS recruit during Tournament season suggests to me that Tom thought it was important and necessary for that conversation to happen sooner rather than later. He's got an excellent feel for timing and recruiting.

Let's take care of business tonite . Tough opponent but beatable.
“Hi Liam, it’s Coach Hurley. We just finished our lite practice between games, and then we have team dinner in an hour . I’ve only got a few minutes, but I wanted to let you know I am looking forward to meeting you when we are finished taking care of business. You would really enjoy competing at this level, and I hope you give us a serious look. Good luck and go Huskies.

Wow Coach, I can’t believe you took the time to call me. Coach Moore said I wouldn’t hear from you until after the Championships. Good luck tomorrow and tell the guys I’m rooting for them.

Thanks Liam, talk to you soon.”

Less than a 5 minute call

Reaction Score
Hiring is a crapshoot kinda like hoops recruiting. It’s often unpredictable how some hires will turn out from an interview, a resume or a reference. But I would never hire an obviously arrogant know it all. Before I was a division head I sat in with my boss in the interviews of people who would be working with. One of them was obviously bright but to me came off as potentially difficult with a huge ego. For particular reasons i knew the person would be favored because they met a certain demographic. I told my boss what i thought but he did the hire. I was right as rain and of course when my boss moved on, i was hired to take his place and for a time was stuck with the person. As i said, a smart person, but to put it into UConn recruiting terms, didn’t fit the rather collegial culture of our department.

For our pal navery, if was Castle or any kid who was about to have several million thrown at them by some employer, I would leave too if they felt my flaws could be worked on with their help rather than in school. A no brainer. Of course it does’t also necessarily mean staying in school another year is dumb either. I actually wouldn’t care if kids were drafted right of hs if scouts think them ready. Cuts the pretense of student athlete, even more of a pretense with NIL (not against it) and the transfer portal free for all, that i think could use some refinement.

What i will never agree with, but it’s only my dumb opinion, is that it benefits UConn if a terrific player gives us one or two years when their best collge days are likely still to come. Notice I didn’t say they are dumb for leaving although it isn’t the easiest life for a 19 or 20 year old, aside from whether or not they are mature enough to handle it. Seems now that anytime one of our young guys had a good game people are speculating on how soon they are draftable. I have this terrible habit from a managerial point of view of looking forward beyond the immediate gratification. Obviously i hope we win it all this year and if we do, the 2 guys most likely to go pro early, SC and DC, will have been critical. But probably not making us a big winner without Newton, Spencer and Diarra, our most experienced players. I can’t see Karaban being ready yet and think he will stay but again, I’m no NBA GM. So looking ahead to next year, if Newton, Spencer, Diarra whom we seemingly aren’t sure will leave, plus SC and DC gone, how good will it be that SC and DC left.

People need to be ready for rebuilding unless we strike gold in the portal. Where i
i think navery is off the rails and dumber than I, is that and I think it was him, maybe you too. who think great hs potential 1 and dones will be attracted because a player like Castle shows it can be done from UConn, if I understand the premise and that is good for the program. I think winning is good for the program. First of all that’s a total unknown. Castle committed before Hurley had shown anything except disappoint per BY world by us getting bounced in round 1 two years in a row. And following Castle’s commitment with you and the rest of the world saying he was one and done AND we had won the NC, not only did we not get any apparent early draftees, but we could’t woo one of the supposed best New England kids ever away from a program and coach everyone on the BY likes to trash, could’t get the cousin of a commit who also went to that other trashed program, and lost the supposed best in-state recruit to Cincinnati where only the ghost of the Big O is a winner. Further, if it starts to look a tiny bit like UK, folks should remember that they are in a freqent state of rebuild.

Now, you like to take shots at me regarding the NBA. I’m not sure if you notice the difference, but I have zero interest in the NBA and a lot of interest in UConn. As I said, I know why kids are attracted to NBA money and it’s their life. You are the one who brings up the NBA. You can love the NBA all you like with my utter approval. But I know i an not alone in finding the games boring and repetitive. Obviously there are a load of really talented players. But it is neither a valid or invalid state of mind to like or not like the modern NBA. Nor is it dumb, I suggest, that UConn would likely be better off next year with both SC and DC.

FWIW ( for an ancient SOB i do know some internet shorthand) I like your talent evaluations. I just don’t get thrilled with early departures, being neither the family or agent of any of them. God bless the portal.
NIL has changed the formula. Players are being paid to stay so it’s not the same decision process.

It was reported Clingan stayed because he wasn’t mentally ready to start his NBA journey. Totally respectable and hindsight looks like great choice.

The success this team has had reloading after Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins may have made things look easier than they appear.

Castle is an absolute unicorn. Talent is elite. High level character. Coachable. Team player mentality. Extra gear when needed.
Many players have one or two. He has all of them. I don’t think he’s turning UConn into Kentucky.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
NIL has changed the formula. Players are being paid to stay so it’s not the same decision process.

It was reported Clingan stayed because he wasn’t mentally ready to start his NBA journey. Totally respectable and hindsight looks like great choice.

The success this team has had reloading after Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins may have made things look easier than they appear.

Castle is an absolute unicorn. Talent is elite. High level character. Coachable. Team player mentality. Extra gear when needed.
Many players have one or two. He has all of them. I don’t think he’s turning UConn into Kentucky.
Castle has made UConn more UConn.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

I’m not saying he is making us into Kentucky. I’m saying some fans who trash Kentucky think getting a parade of 1 year players is a desirable formula, and at least for one year after Castle’s commitment (and we had won nothing when he committed) we did not have a fabulous recruiting year. Makes the portal very big. It remains to be seen if Castle - assuming he leaves - starts a recruiting era for us where we keep getting the cherry on top of the sundae

Reaction Score
I’m not saying he is making us into Kentucky. I’m saying some fans who trash Kentucky think getting a parade of 1 year players is a desirable formula, and at least for one year after Castle’s commitment (and we had won nothing when he committed) we did not have a fabulous recruiting year. Makes the portal very big. It remains to be seen if Castle - assuming he leaves - starts a recruiting era for us where we keep getting the cherry on top of the sundae
Castle bought into team ball, being coached hard, and improving his overall game. He’s a winner.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Castle bought into team ball, being coached hard, and improving his overall game. He’s a winner.
Not about Castle. It’s his impact on recruiting.

Reaction Score
One thing this NCAA Tournament has shown is that the most successful teams have starting lineups of mostly upper classmen supplemented by stud freshmen. That's the formula for success. One and dones have a place, they just can't be the primary basis for your team.

Reaction Score
You know things are bad if people are begging for Tom crean…..
Mike White has Georgia in the NIT Final Four in year one and a 5-star coming in next year to go with a some young talent. Fair shot they are going dancing next year.

They are quite happy to be seeing the back of Crean (despite the somewhat lackluster hire).

Reaction Score
I’m not saying you are and I’m not saying you aren’t. If being truthful, I’m not sure what you are saying.

What I am saying is Castle is not your typical one and done. He fits our system and has every tool. By saying he’s a unicorn, I’m saying that he’s a very rare recruit. Which is why I think he was recruited here. Whether recruits decide to think UConn is next KY because of Cadtle’s success is their deal. If that gives Hurley a better pool of recruits from which to select and make offers, fine.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Not saying anything brilliant here but there are UK one-and-dones and UConn one-and-dones. The former have one goal, which Cal promises them: getting them drafted in the first round. The latter are sold on winning; guys like Castle know that showing that you can play as part of a team doesn’t mean people won’t notice your skill.

Go to the UK board and you’ll see 90% of the fans complaining that all Cal is doing is showcasing kids for the NBA. It certainly works as a recruiting approach but what do they have to show for it?

This staff is looking for fit and it’s working like a charm. Very interested to see what we do with the portal. It’s perfect for us. I said this when we got Spencer and I’ll say it again now the season’s almost over: how many 5* recruits could play at his level this year? Give me a skilled, hungry, and experienced upperclassman over a more talented freshman ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

This was inspired by but not written in response to your post. I agree I’d like to see more 5* recruits under the assumption that they’re guys like Castle who will buy in.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’m not saying you are and I’m not saying you aren’t. If being truthful, I’m not sure what you are saying.

What I am saying is Castle is not your typical one and done. He fits our system and has every tool. By saying he’s a unicorn, I’m saying that he’s a very rare recruit. Which is why I think he was recruited here. Whether recruits decide to think UConn is next KY because of Cadtle’s success is their deal. If that gives Hurley a better pool of recruits from which to select and make offers, fine.
You aren’t following this at all. It has nothing to do with how Castle performs. And I am not the one who said he will lead a parade of one and dones to UConn. I am referring to a few posters who were speculating before Castle played one second that the fact that a stud could be a one and done here would lead other one and done types and at least a few of them think that would be good for the program. I am saying that the first recruiting year after Castle - also the first clas after we won the NC - did not produce any obvious one and done types. In fact one such type stayed with his first love Duke even though we had won the NC. And I am also saying it remains to be seen if the next class will include any such players. And I am also saying that if we get such players, it remains to be seen if it does any more good for us than it has done for UK. Hopefully that isn’t hard to understand. .

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not saying anything brilliant here but there are UK one-and-dones and UConn one-and-dones. The former have one goal, which Cal promises them: getting them drafted in the first round. The latter are sold on winning; guys like Castle know that showing that you can play as part of a team doesn’t mean people won’t notice your skill.

Go to the UK board and you’ll see 90% of the fans complaining that all Cal is doing is showcasing kids for the NBA. It certainly works as a recruiting approach but what do they have to show for it?

This staff is looking for fit and it’s working like a charm. Very interested to see what we do with the portal. It’s perfect for us. I said this when we got Spencer and I’ll say it again now the season’s almost over: how many 5* recruits could play at his level this year? Give me a skilled, hungry, and experienced upperclassman over a more talented freshman ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

This was inspired by but not written in response to your post. I agree I’d like to see more 5* recruits under the assumption that they’re guys like Castle who will buy in.
Question. Do you agree that getting Castle will lead to other one and dones coming here? That’s what a few posters suggested before he played a game here. We have had 2 (assuming Castle leaves) the other when Castle was a little kid. And Castle committed after we flamed out in Round 1 two years running. i have no clue how you are distinguishing what UConn is looking for in a 1 and done as opposed to what UK is looking for because we have only one recent example of getting such a player. How many of their one year guys did we offer? I have no clue if there were any, I don’t pay close attention. I only know the BY has a tendency to find faults with players who don’t take our offers.

Reaction Score
I think having a one and done when you have a chance at a title is fine and makes sense, but otherwise he it slows the development of out multi year players.

Reaction Score
I think having a one and done when you have a chance at a title is fine and makes sense, but otherwise he it slows the development of out multi year players.

I would love 1, mayyybe 2 a year if we have an old team.

Reaction Score
Hiring is a crapshoot kinda like hoops recruiting. It’s often unpredictable how some hires will turn out from an interview, a resume or a reference. But I would never hire an obviously arrogant know it all. Before I was a division head I sat in with my boss in the interviews of people who would be working with. One of them was obviously bright but to me came off as potentially difficult with a huge ego. For particular reasons i knew the person would be favored because they met a certain demographic. I told my boss what i thought but he did the hire. I was right as rain and of course when my boss moved on, i was hired to take his place and for a time was stuck with the person. As i said, a smart person, but to put it into UConn recruiting terms, didn’t fit the rather collegial culture of our department.

For our pal navery, if was Castle or any kid who was about to have several million thrown at them by some employer, I would leave too if they felt my flaws could be worked on with their help rather than in school. A no brainer. Of course it does’t also necessarily mean staying in school another year is dumb either. I actually wouldn’t care if kids were drafted right of hs if scouts think them ready. Cuts the pretense of student athlete, even more of a pretense with NIL (not against it) and the transfer portal free for all, that i think could use some refinement.

What i will never agree with, but it’s only my dumb opinion, is that it benefits UConn if a terrific player gives us one or two years when their best collge days are likely still to come. Notice I didn’t say they are dumb for leaving although it isn’t the easiest life for a 19 or 20 year old, aside from whether or not they are mature enough to handle it. Seems now that anytime one of our young guys had a good game people are speculating on how soon they are draftable. I have this terrible habit from a managerial point of view of looking forward beyond the immediate gratification. Obviously i hope we win it all this year and if we do, the 2 guys most likely to go pro early, SC and DC, will have been critical. But probably not making us a big winner without Newton, Spencer and Diarra, our most experienced players. I can’t see Karaban being ready yet and think he will stay but again, I’m no NBA GM. So looking ahead to next year, if Newton, Spencer, Diarra whom we seemingly aren’t sure will leave, plus SC and DC gone, how good will it be that SC and DC left.

People need to be ready for rebuilding unless we strike gold in the portal. Where i
i think navery is off the rails and dumber than I, is that and I think it was him, maybe you too. who think great hs potential 1 and dones will be attracted because a player like Castle shows it can be done from UConn, if I understand the premise and that is good for the program. I think winning is good for the program. First of all that’s a total unknown. Castle committed before Hurley had shown anything except disappoint per BY world by us getting bounced in round 1 two years in a row. And following Castle’s commitment with you and the rest of the world saying he was one and done AND we had won the NC, not only did we not get any apparent early draftees, but we could’t woo one of the supposed best New England kids ever away from a program and coach everyone on the BY likes to trash, could’t get the cousin of a commit who also went to that other trashed program, and lost the supposed best in-state recruit to Cincinnati where only the ghost of the Big O is a winner. Further, if it starts to look a tiny bit like UK, folks should remember that they are in a freqent state of rebuild.

Now, you like to take shots at me regarding the NBA. I’m not sure if you notice the difference, but I have zero interest in the NBA and a lot of interest in UConn. As I said, I know why kids are attracted to NBA money and it’s their life. You are the one who brings up the NBA. You can love the NBA all you like with my utter approval. But I know i an not alone in finding the games boring and repetitive. Obviously there are a load of really talented players. But it is neither a valid or invalid state of mind to like or not like the modern NBA. Nor is it dumb, I suggest, that UConn would likely be better off next year with both SC and DC.

FWIW ( for an ancient SOB i do know some internet shorthand) I like your talent evaluations. I just don’t get thrilled with early departures, being neither the family or agent of any of them. God bless the portal.
This is so on point to me, it feels like I could have written this post...although not so eloquently.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I would love 1, mayyybe 2 a year if we have an old team.
How do we get an old team if we have a few a year? That is Kentucky you realize. Add in a few portal guys and you are rebuilding pretty often.

BTW, are we sure McNeeley would be a cultural fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom