2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley, the Second of His Name, 2.0 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley, the Second of His Name, 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
And there is a point this season where Clingan was out and Johnson was the starter and pretty much single handedly won the St John’s game before Xmas coming off Seton Hall loss. We were undefeated in the BigEast with Johnson as a starter.

People have short memories.
What an epic day in Hartford.

Reaction Score
I know it means absolutely nothing but there’s a McNeeley thread on Rupp Rafters (UK board) and 90% of the comments on it are saying this is UConn’s battle to lose. We can’t let him leave campus without a commitment.
Interesting, seeing as how UK fans think they have a god given right to every 5* recruit that walks this earth

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I know it means absolutely nothing but there’s a McNeeley thread on Rupp Rafters (UK board) and 90% of the comments on it are saying this is UConn’s battle to lose. We can’t let him leave campus without a commitment.
Our season essentially starts in June again, right? With the Eurotrip? Hurley’s pitch has to be sign now, move up to Storrs end of school year and let’s get to work on the threepeat.

Reaction Score
I apologize for the bold text- I cannot figure out how to shut it off.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by NBA on TNT

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Hoss's. Dude's going to be amazing for us.
How much of a factor is the complexity of our system? Seems like it could take a while to catch on, and the guy who knows the playbook would have a head start.

Reaction Score
Our season essentially starts in June again, right? With the Eurotrip? Hurley’s pitch has to be sign now, move up to Storrs end of school year and let’s get to work on the threepeat.
We have another Eurotrip this summer?

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure rules allow that only once every few years
That was my understanding as well. I can’t find anything saying we have another one this summer either

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I just think (imo) that the Hawkins comp is tough because Hawkins was an incredible shooter with seemingly boundless energy and little else. McNeeley already appears to be much better around the rim and much better at all the standard basketball skills like passing and dribbling.

"Hawkins without the faults" is a rather high bar for a kid who has yet to set foot on campus.

Most of all of that is true … but I never said he is right now Hawkins year 2, without any of his faults.

I literally just said he’d slot into Hawkins role easily. He’s at least as good a shooter as Hawkins was coming in. He fills the role of outside shooting threat. I didn’t say anything beyond that.

This kid is a 5* who can REALLY shoot.

Reaction Score
Most of all of that is true … but I never said he is right now Hawkins year 2, without any of his faults.

I literally just said he’d slot into Hawkins role easily. He’s at least as good a shooter as Hawkins was coming in. He fills the role of outside shooting threat. I didn’t say anything beyond that.

This kid is a 5* who can REALLY shoot.
True. I take back everything, I said.

I bet it looks more like Spencer, though. Excellent shooters with more complete games.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
True. I take back everything, I said.

I bet it looks more like Spencer, though. Excellent shooters with more complete games.

Haha whether that’s real or facetious, good response.

But really, that’s why I was saying “or Hawkins, or…” because I think he’s very much his own player but can fill multiple roles.

I think the easiest things to translate are the Cam and Hawkins qualities, so to speak: high IQ plays and outside shooting. Even frosh year he should be plug and play there, or close to it.

We definitely agree overall.

Reaction Score
And there is a point this season where Clingan was out and Johnson was the starter and pretty much single handedly won the St John’s game before Xmas coming off Seton Hall loss. We were undefeated in the BigEast with Johnson as a starter.

People have short memories.
Fully agreed, he’s got the potential to do it. He’s shown as much but he needs to improve his consistency. That was kind of the point of my posts.

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
Yes, it is highly likely that one is better than the other, even infinitesimally, and that guy will get the starter's 25-30 mpg, with the other guy getting 10-15 mpg, pending foul trouble, etc.
how about who stays out of foul trouble the longest gets the most minutes..SJ has to cut down on his fouls!

Reaction Score
The problem with Johnson is that the things he does well are so strongly dependent on what's going on around him -- guards effectively using ball-screens, getting a defender on their back and another in front that has to commit to stopping the dribble, and freeing up Johnson for the alley-oop. Yeah, there's a good chance we'll still have some of that ability, but if not, his assets go way down in value and his liabilities are highly pronounced.
Great take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22