Let's talk punt returns | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Let's talk punt returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess we will wait and see but I do not have the warm and fuzzies that we are going to be adequate in this area. Too risk averse.

What quotes are leading you guys to believe this?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
What quotes are leading you guys to believe this?

per @UConn07 from the Diaco presser earlier today

"For us, we know we have the ball. If penalty free, the ball is ours, if we catch it or not."

"Statistically, if you drill down over the last 10 years, there are so many less punt returns. When they changed the rules, 7 guys can now release on snap in the shield protetions. Previously, only 2 guys could go down field and now the long snapper can release immediately"

"If Brian or Quayvon can return the punt for a TD, great. But our mentality is different from the norm"

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Mostly from Matt's (@MattSchonvisky / @UConn07 on here) timeline. Diaco explaining that punt returns are down due to previous rule changes, that the focus is on catching the ball but that we regain possession either way... Emphasis seems to be minimizing potential for a turnover. My own opinion is minimizing risk of injury, as well. Add it all up and it doesn't seem important to return these kicks to Diaco... Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
He said just catching the ball is equivalent to starting the drive with a 12-yeard run. Catching the ball is the emphasis.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
He said just catching the ball is equivalent to starting the drive with a 12-yeard run. Catching the ball is the emphasis.
...so is snapping the ball, but that doesn't mean you take a knee just because you successfully exchanged.

Ugh - what a buzzkill.

Reaction Score
"Our mentality is different from the norm"

This is the most troubling part of the quote. He knows that his "approach" is unique. Does he really think he's some sort of trailblazer on this? Typically, if you're doing something differently than everyone else, you should have a damn good reason for doing so. He's admitting that he would rather let a punt fall to the ground and bounce for 15 yards than take any risk in attempting a return. Does he realize that just as many bad things happen when a punt hits the ground as when you try to return it?

I'm very hesitant to say that someone is wrong about something that has to do with his/her profession. Diaco is wrong about this.

Reaction Score
Yes, we could fumble a punt return. Or this could happen:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yes, we could fumble a punt return. Or this could happen:

I'd for someone to share this clip with Diaco and ask him to breakdown what UConn did wrong here.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just read the last few interpretations of what folks got from HCBD in the return game for us, mainly PR... Sounds to me like we're still not good at it...

jho

Reaction Score
If the plan is to fair catch everything, shouldn't we put more effort into trying to block punts? Last year, we had no block punts. Temple led the country with 5.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wish we could see the data that led them to this conclusion.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Could be the same data that had Jeremy Davis sitting out on third down passing situations.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I like data. If the data bears him out, more power to him. If not... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like data. If the data bears him out, more power to him. If not... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well the data says you should be aggressive on 4th down. Hopefully he keeps that in the arsenal.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If the plan is to fair catch everything, shouldn't we put more effort into trying to block punts? Last year, we had no block punts. Temple led the country with 5.

This. Rush everyone and fair catch. We seem to have opted for the worst of all options.

Reaction Score
100% yes

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In his defense, he has shown a tendency to go for it . . .

Yes, I'm saying hopefully he sticks with that strategy.

Since he gets that data - it makes me wish I could see what he's looking at on punt returns. (I'm saying something super positive about HCBD BTW!)

I fully get why he doesn't try and block punts. You end up with a lot
more roughing penalties than blocks and his offense can't afford to lose possessions.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Edsall won a bunch of games through special teams. Field position is part of our problems the last few years.

Getting the ball back inside the 20 isn't a numbers positive situation.

Getting one or two first downs to get into FG range is a heck of a lot easier and more probable than getting 3 or 4.

Reaction Score
Yes, returns are down. I don't think anyone is debating that. Doesn't mean you should stop trying. At least 40% of punts are not fair caught or downed. That's 3-5 opportunities to make a play every game that you're just giving up.

Reaction Score
But if Matt's quote is on the mark - he didn't say they would stop trying:

>>"But don't mistake that mentality for the belief that they will never return a kick. If there is a lane or an opportunity, returners will have the freedom to make the call. "Now if Brian [Lemelle] or Q [Quayvon Skanes] can return it for a touchdown, fantastic," he said. "If the protection is a liability and we can attack it and block it, fantastic. But risk, reward there in my mind for blocking punts as it relates to roughing a punter, I'm really not for that."

I asked Campbell about the philosophy, as well during media day and he echoed Diaco's sentiments, almost to a T. "First of all, field the ball first, after that, everything else is a bonus," Campbell said. "The biggest thing is getting the ball and if you do that, you have a chance."<<

Reaction Score
I can see both sides. I love the excitement and chance for glory (Larry, Tyvone, Robbie, Nick and Deshonn), but now it's 4th down. We've held the opposition and we should get the ball back in great field position for a hopeful scoring drive. Punt is caught, he reverses field, is hit from behind...fumble, recovered by the opponent. A fair catch would have looked pretty good right there. It's called second guessing. We're all good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom