Let's talk punt returns | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Let's talk punt returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We were a Deshon Foxx punt return for a TD agsinst Stony Brook, and a November nor'easter away from 0-12 last season.

I highly doubt that we have coaches that don't understand football.

Last season, 2014, was a full season of division of reps and division of practice time periods thst turned games into 60 minute evaluation scrimmages.

If in this 2015 season just concluded, sacrificing punt return practice periods was determined necessary to prepare prooperly to actually compete. I'm fine with it. I would have been fine with it before the season, and I certainly am now, because we squeezed a bowl game out. They had to sdjust something with PAT's practice and it worked. They had to take practice time away from something else to make thst happen - maybe it was practice period time allocated for 11 man punt return blocking that got sacrificed? Couldn't be. These coaches have no idea whst they're doing snd they are mismanaging our loaded roster -according to the insiders on the boneyard.

If adding the sacrificed punt return practice periods is the only aspect of the game and the only thing we need to incorporate into a complete team practice week, and not take away more important practice time elsewhere next year, to actuslly have a competitive team (like the frigging offense) for 2016, that would be great.

Reaction Score
We were a Deshon Foxx punt return for a TD agsinst Stony Brook, and a November nor'easter away from 0-12 last season.

All the more reason to work on creating a healthy return game.

I highly doubt that we have coaches that don't understand football.

Has anyone said that or anything remotely like it?

Last season, 2014, was a full season of division of reps and division of practice time periods thst turned games into 60 minute evaluation scrimmages.

Which called into question Diaco's judgement as many first year coaches are successful. But this thread is not about that.

If in this 2015 season just concluded, sacrificing punt return practice periods was determined necessary to prepare prooperly to actually compete. I'm fine with it.

I'm not. I think Diaco vastly under estimates the abilities of these players. They competed with Missouri, BYU and beat Houston.

I would have been fine with it before the season, and I certainly am now, because we squeezed a bowl game out. They had to sdjust something with PAT's practice and it worked.

PATs were never a problem before Diaco. He fixed something that wasn't broken until he appeared.

They had to take practice time away from something else to make thst happen - maybe it was practice period time allocated for 11 man punt return blocking that got sacrificed? Couldn't be.

I don't think so. BP got into a bad habit and failed to elevate the ball. It could have been solved with a five minute conversation. The idea this was some huge deal that need to be addressed and cut into practice time doesn't really wash.

These coaches have no idea whst they're doing snd they are mismanaging our loaded roster -according to the insiders on the boneyard.

Once again, this is a straw man that you are creating. Most posters virtually libel our players and their abilities. The roster isn't loaded but it isn't completely incompetent either. As I pointed out they competed with Missouri, BYU and beat Houston. The truth is in the middle.

If adding the sacrificed punt return practice periods is the only aspect of the game and the only thing we need to incorporate into a complete team practice week, and not take away more important practice time elsewhere next year, to actuslly have a competitive team (like the frigging offense) for 2016, that would be great.

The concept is absurd. The previous year under Diaco we averaged 6+ yards per return. We took a dramatic step backward this year. Why did Diaco have enough time to teach punt blocking in 2014 and then in his second year not have enough time? It's a non sequitur. It's also a complete conundrum. As is your defense of it.

Look, I am not a Diaco hater. I wish him every success. But it is reasonable to question his method when he produces a punt return team that finishes dead last in the BCS. I question many of the things he does and the choices he makes. I have a higher opinion of our players than most on this board. I think 6-6 is the floor not the ceiling. I thought that under P and I think it under BD.

To me the biggest impediment to a better record is Diaco's game planning, adjustments, and game management skills. They have not been very good. They need to get better. That will make the biggest improvement in the team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Interesting questions and points. There is only so much time that players and coaches have per week to be in contact and practice and it's highly regulated - if you're going to follow rules.

It's quite reasonable and logical to conclude that the amount of practice time and practice periods dedicated to practicing punt returns as an 11 man unit was minimized in an effort to focus more time on something else. Why that decision would have been made is up for speculation, and if that was the case, whether or not it will change next season is a good question.

Ding ding ding. If you are going to ignore something this would be what to ignore. Especially if you don't think you have anyone who gives you confidence will make plays or not turn the ball over.

No point in turning the ball over or committing penalties if there isn't any reward.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The guy took a tire fire and made them respectible in two years. On paper he's outrecruiting prior coaches in a tougher situation.

And people want to spend a week pi**ing and moaning about punt returns.

A 6-6 team isn't perfect. FILM AT ELEVEN!!!!

Reaction Score
Ding ding ding. If you are going to ignore something this would be what to ignore. Especially if you don't think you have anyone who gives you confidence will make plays or not turn the ball over.

No point in turning the ball over or committing penalties if there isn't any reward.
Do you really think there isn't time to practice special teams -of which punt returning would be part? Really, you believe that?

Reaction Score
Do you really think there isn't time to practice special teams -of which punt returning would be part? Really, you believe that?

There is a cap on practice time. If other areas are in need of the extra work (and clearly, they were), then I'm fine with what he did. You can believe whatever you want. It's usually divorced from reality anyway.

Reaction Score

Of course there is time. But if you determine that the only guys (who aren't RS) that could do it are on the offense (which also stinks), where would you spend your time?

Reaction Score
I kind of like the no punt returns. I think it would hopefully allow us to just secure the ball. It's better to have the ball than a possible turnover even with our anemic offense. I think we may not return many punts because we do not have the right personnel to really try to set up a good return. Hoping next year we will see the development to be able to get a healthy return game going.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I kind of like the no punt returns. I think it would hopefully allow us to just secure the ball. It's better to have the ball than a possible turnover even with our anemic offense. I think we may not return many punts because we do not have the right personnel to really try to set up a good return. Hoping next year we will see the development to be able to get a healthy return game going.

Agreed that this year we didn't have a dynamic return man which lead to us just securing punts rather than aggressively pursuing returns. Thinking maybe Skanes can be this guy for us next year

Reaction Score
It guarantees that we lose the field position battle. So, if like Diaco, you have chosen to play conservative offense and depend on your defense, it puts you behind the eight ball. It is a self-defeating strategy

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It guarantees that we lose the field position battle. So, if like Diaco, you have chosen to play conservative offense and depend on your defense, it puts you behind the eight ball. It is a self-defeating strategy

If you believe dumb assumptions I guess you can draw conclusions about what is guaranteed.

Christ even the fox stopped trying to reach the grapes when they were too high.

Reaction Score
If you believe dumb assumptions I guess you can draw conclusions about what is guaranteed.

Christ even the fox stopped trying to reach the grapes when they were too high.
You're not even making sense. If you are defense oriented, you need to win special teams. This is football not fables.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're not even making sense. If you are defense oriented, you need to win special teams. This is football not fables.

Fair catching punts does not guarantee you lose field position unless you don't understand the concept of penalties and turnovers.

Or maybe it's guarantee you don't understand.

I don't know if they covered the Fox and the Grapes on Star Trek - but if they didn't I'm sure Jimmy will Google it for you.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Not directed at you - but what on earth would make anyone think that we have enough depth to block successfully on specials when we can barely block on offense?
So let's punt on first down because our offense sucks too. You have to at least attempt to run one back regardless. This is on Diaco

Reaction Score

As the former Colorado and Bosie St coach (name escapes me at the moment) once went on a tirade and said..."This is Division 1 football. This ain't intramurals......." I've coached middle school youth football teams that had better punt return success and it's not because I'm Vince Lombardi.

Reaction Score
Fair catching punts does not guarantee you lose field position unless you don't understand the concept of penalties and turnovers.

I don't know if they covered the Fox and the Grapes on Star Trek - but if they didn't I'm sure Jimmy will Google it for you.
Of course it does. If the other team returns punts and you don't you will lose the field position battle almost every game.

There are three phases football offense, defense and special teams. To just give up on one phase puts a team at a disavantage.

Reaction Score

You're still trying? He's obviously trolling for attention.

Reaction Score
As the former Colorado and Bosie St coach (name escapes me at the moment) once went on a tirade and said..."This is Division 1 football. This ain't intramurals.." I've coached middle school youth football teams that had better punt return success and it's not because I'm Vince Lombardi.
Dan Hawkins.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't buy we don't have the personnel. Kids can be coached. Setting up blocks and executing is coaching and desire.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This is still extremely applicable after hearing the Diaco quote on punt returns today in the presser. Don't understand why we've seemingly given up on the idea of gaining chunk yardage from PR's

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I guess we will wait and see but I do not have the warm and fuzzies that we are going to be adequate in this area. Too risk averse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom