Let the speculation begin. Best three-point shooter. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Let the speculation begin. Best three-point shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My opinion, and everyone has one (not necessarily opinion)--but I believe that at every step of the way (except for injuries) KML out played/scored Maya. Maya for 2.4 years was insulted and reflected it when she was made a ping pong ball. ND took her right out of the Final 4--Geno said she had no help in Maya's Sr year--this year KML's Jr year, she was bounced,pushed, pulled banged and banged up--and still scored. She attacks the basket better than Maya did as a Soph/Jr. Maya however is still one of my all time favorites, right up there with Svet and Sue. Maya is a class and nice person (KML is nice too). Maya may have had bigger numbers because she was the "go to" scorer --KML had Stewie, Steph, Hartley, and a few others to fill up the data sheets.
I love KML's 10/14 ft shot--it's such an easy motion---her 3 ball is pure and money. Rebounding--she fills up the boxes. Assist-to. I'm they guy when ND won in 3 ot's said KML (in that game) was a liability (because she was a Frosh and Muffet went for the weakest link). Geno beat me up for that.

I'm a KML fan too but please " I believe that at every step of the way (except for injuries) KML out played/scored Maya". Not even but better than Maya ?
"She attacks the basket better than Maya did as a Soph/Jr". KML has taken 193 free throws in her 3 years at UConn. Maya took 123 and 124 free throws in her sophomore and junior years respectively. On a minute basis, KML has played 3,035 mins in a UConn uniform so far with 193 free throw attempts. Maya played 2,307 minutes in her sophomore and junior years and took 247 free throws in those 2 years. A clear indication that Maya "attacked" the basket more than KML has.

Reaction Score
Kaleena has the most incredible form and the prettiest three-point shot of anyone. Go KML. Have a fantastic senior season.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Agreed KML is there now and future possibilities for others are still strong, but they haven't yet played a day in NCAA competition. Either way, an amazing assortment of riches for UConn for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
She may not have the highest shooting percentage and who knows how long her career total 3s will remain at the top of the UCONN list, but when the chips were down and the money was on the line, I know who I want shooting that last 3 at the buzzer and that person is Diana Taurasi.

Ms. Ice Water.

Reaction Score
My opinion, and everyone has one (not necessarily opinion)--but I believe that at every step of the way (except for injuries) KML out played/scored Maya. Maya for 2.4 years was insulted and reflected it when she was made a ping pong ball. ND took her right out of the Final 4--Geno said she had no help in Maya's Sr year--this year KML's Jr year, she was bounced,pushed, pulled banged and banged up--and still scored. She attacks the basket better than Maya did as a Soph/Jr. Maya however is still one of my all time favorites, right up there with Svet and Sue. Maya is a class and nice person (KML is nice too). Maya may have had bigger numbers because she was the "go to" scorer --KML had Stewie, Steph, Hartley, and a few others to fill up the data sheets.
I love KML's 10/14 ft shot--it's such an easy motion---her 3 ball is pure and money. Rebounding--she fills up the boxes. Assist-to. I'm they guy when ND won in 3 ot's said KML (in that game) was a liability (because she was a Frosh and Muffet went for the weakest link). Geno beat me up for that.
There is absolutely no way that KML is at the same level as Maya. NO WAY! For you to make that comparison is to start people comparing two exceptional UConn basketball players. My opinion is there is no way KML is anywhere near as rounded a player as Maya and she has nowhere near the quickness of Maya. Maya's basketball instincts are just off the charts. She (KML) has had an exceptional career that was adversely affected by two major health issues this year that obviously affected her stats but factoring in what she might have done, had those injuries not happened, she would still not be on the same plane as Maya is. KML has (over a period of time) rounded out her game where she NOW contributes in a variety of ways on the court but Maya did that from Day 1. When KML came in, she was somewhat one dimensional, being just primarily a shooter, a brilliant one, at that. She deserves many kudos (as does the UConn staff) for expanding her game in a big way. By the way, I don't think Tina Charles and Renee Montgomery are chopped liver. Weren't they both All-Americans???? The only time that Maya was really the go to scorer was in her senior year when Tina and Renee had graduated. She played in the context of the game for her first three years, never forcing shots (as did Renee) and as a matter of fact, Geno used to get into her case for not being more aggressive and drawing more fouls by penetrating, which she was obviously very capable of. To hear that KML outplayed/ outscored Maya seems to suggest that you really didn't follow the Huskies during Maya's years and are relying on second hand information or that your memory requires a MAJOR tuneup.

Reaction Score
Boy are you off base.

ND took her right out of the game in her senior year?
She was the #1, #2, and #3 option on that team, everyone in the gym knew it, and she scored 36 points on just under 50% shooting while being the major focus of the defense. Try again.

KML attacked the basket better than Maya did?
This is a little less quantifiable, so you might have to trust me when I say that statement is every bit as ridiculous as the first. Maya was a far-better penetrator than KML and it's not close. In her sophomore year, she made 70 more two pointers and got to the line 47 more times than KML, so please, explain to me how you have a leg to stand on here.

Maya had better numbers than KML just because she was the go-to scorer?
We don't have senior numbers to compare, and I'd assume you'd rather look at sophomore numbers than junior year because of KML's injuries. In that case, have you heard of a couple of flubs named Montgomery, Charles, Greene, and Hayes? You might have heard of them because all four are playing in the WNBA and 2 have been all-stars. Once again, try again.

But since you bring it up, let's look at their sophomore stats.

Maya scored 1.7 points more while shooting a better percentage from the field. As discussed above, she did it while she made 70 more two pointers and got to the line 47 more times. Not bad for someone who can't attack the basket like KML can.

She got 2.6 more rebounds per game.

She got .92 more assists per game, with a 50% better assist to turnover ratio.

She had 1.2 extra blocks per game.

She got .45 more steals per game.

Maya led KML in every statistical category except for 3pt and FT%.

In conclusion, could I please have some of whatever you're smoking?
I was truly stunned having read the original post for many of the reasons that you expounded on so well. I couldn't believe that someone could actually make those comments. I felt those remarks would make some people irate because it would cause people to compare two exceptional players and almost seem to draw negative comments from people. KML is such a wonderful kid and such a fantastic shooter whose done such a great job on expanding her game while she's been at UConn, improving her defense and becoming an exceptional rebounder while also becoming an appreciably better passer. However, Maya had all those tools when she arrived and only improved on every level while she was here. Your stats are indicative of how complete a player Maya has been but there are also few players in the history of women's basketball who come close to having the phenomenal instincts that Maya possesses. Her court savvy is totally remarkable and very reminiscent of Diana. I wrote a reply as soon as I read that Genosguy post and noted that he/she must not have every seen Maya play, relying on 2nd hand info or something.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno used to get into her case

Permit a little diversion from your superb smackdown of the poster who had such an unfortunate case of amnesia.

You state that "Geno used to get into her case. . . ."

I think the more common and generally accepted term is something like getting on someone's case, and I am honestly curious where this expression came from. Social work? Law enforcement? Anybody know?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
ctkaiser said:
I'd like to wait for all these new 3 pt shooters to get to campus before they get mentioned in the same thread as DT, Maya, KML, Stewie and company.

Thank you - I was going to post this as well except that I saw yours while scanning through the thread. I assumed that the best three point shooter was in reference to players that have been or are currently at UConn and have played a game or two or season. IMO, speculating on untried freshman and prospects is like diving off a cliff without looking first and just assuming that there is water below

Reaction Score
Thank you - I was going to post this as well except that I saw yours while scanning through the thread. I assumed that the best three point shooter was in reference to players that have been or are currently at UConn and have played a game or two or season. IMO, speculating on untried freshman and prospects is like diving off a cliff without looking first and just assuming that there is water below

You realize that you're taking all the fun out of posting ;). The Boneyard without harmless speculation ? It would be like a day without sunshine.
The projections might not come to fruition but how many threads are posted without speculation of any type ?

Reaction Score
Permit a little diversion from your superb smackdown of the poster who had such an unfortunate case of amnesia.

You state that "Geno used to get into her case. . . ."

I think the more common and generally accepted term is something like getting on someone's case, and I am honestly curious where this expression came from. Social work? Law enforcement? Anybody know?
I looked and wasn't able to find anything, but if I were to take a shot in the dark, I would guess that the likely origin is the idiom "get off my case" (which I've also heard used). If a friend were nagging me with well intentioned advice, I might tell them to stop by telling them to "get off my case," implying that they were treating me like they were a social worker or a nurse, not a friend. It's possible that "on someone's case" then just came to mean annoying or nagging in general

Reaction Score
I guess the difference is that something bad happens to you when you jump off a cliff. What exactly is the harm if I say that, based on my experience of watching her, KLS might break some records and then I'm wrong?

Reaction Score
Talk to Geno. Maya scored on more two points than Kaleena but not from posting up. On jump shots and drives. Geno wanted her to post up more, but Maya preferred to shoot from outside. Besides, Tina commanded the post. They didn't need Maya to post up until her senior year, which she did.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
reno tony said:
My favorite shot is a Maya jump shot. IMO it is the prettiest jump shot.... men or women. And I will agree with Geno when he said "It always amazes me when it doesn't go in." 45 TO GO

Maya has made her right-baseline or right-wing "Jordan Jumper" a staple of her repertoire in the W. It is a thing of beauty, with the right leg extended in air toward the basket. She is usually drifting laterally a bit (high degree of difficulty) or even twisting as well as fading back.

Most artful jumper in the women's game!! Delicious.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ekmark brings us another outside threat to join KML and Breanna. Next season replace KML with KLS. We have some of the best outside shooters in WCBB. UConn is not in a position and has not been in a position of rebuilding they are reloading, a big difference. We have one of the best centers this season in Kiah and for the next couple of seasons with Natalie. Yes Natalie proved that at GTown. We have great outside shooters. We have Breanna and KML both who could be POY and the best one two punch in WCBB. We have Mojeff and Saniya at the guards and both make very few turnovers while playing great D and have the ability to drive to the hoop. We have one of the best classes coming in this season and next season. We have MT back and that isnt ment to mean we are emp-ty. We are loaded again and it appears we are loaded for the next 5-6 seasons.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ekmark brings us another outside threat to join KML and Breanna. Next season replace KML with KLS. We have some of the best outside shooters in WCBB. UConn is not in a position and has not been in a position of rebuilding they are reloading, a big difference. We have one of the best centers this season in Kiah and for the next couple of seasons with Natalie. Yes Natalie proved that at GTown. We have great outside shooters. We have Breanna and KML both who could be POY and the best one two punch in WCBB. We have Mojeff and Saniya at the guards and both make very few turnovers while playing great D and have the ability to drive to the hoop. We have one of the best classes coming in this season and next season. We have MT back and that isnt ment to mean we are emp-ty. We are loaded again and it appears we are loaded for the next 5-6 seasons.

So, Tony, you like our chances?:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman