Let the speculation begin. Best three-point shooter. | The Boneyard

Let the speculation begin. Best three-point shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We know how well Diana could shoot 'em. Same goes for Kaleena.

Next season we'll see how Courtney can nail them, but we have to wait a year for Katie Lou.

Don't forget Stewie.

Then there is this 13-year old kid in Philly..............:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Ms Mosqueda-Lewis might be the best three point shooter to ever play the women's game. Maya, IMO, is second best to ever go through the UConn program. UConn has been blessed with a number of incredibly good outside shooters.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ms Mosqueda-Lewis might be the best three point shooter to ever play the women's game. Maya, IMO, is second best to ever go through the UConn program. UConn has been blessed with a number of incredibly good outside shooters.

You get no argument from me about Kaleena. But her competition (e.g., Courtney, KLS) may be on the way. She should heed the advice of the immortal *Satchel Paige:

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

*Satch was surely one of the greatest pitchers of all-time. Denied the opportunity to throw baseballs past what Jimmy Breslin described as the total major league rosters in the old days: "Baseball was played by hillbillies with keen eyesight."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to agree, would love to have someone better, but doubt if Kalena is ever matched. Slight possibility of statistically, but never in the sheer beauty of the shot.

Reaction Score
KLS's shot isn't quite as pretty as KML's, but she has a very quick release and can bury it from anywhere. She might break some records at UConn.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Lou had some dead-eye quick releases against Belgium
that led me to believe that she is going to be in a whole new category.

Having said that, what about DT last night?

Reaction Score
Lou had some dead-eye quick releases against Belgium
that led me to believe that she is going to be in a whole new category.

Having said that, what about DT last night?
She was unbelievable, now that her preseason is over :p.

Something that stood out to me was her absolutely fantastic defense on Tolliver the last few possessions when LA needed a three.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Something that stood out to me was her absolutely fantastic defense on Tolliver the last few possessions when LA needed a three.

Duke Ellington had a unique way to describe musicians who had the ultimate level of talent (think Lionel Hampton, Benny Goodman, Art Tatum, Ella Fitzgerald, etc.). The descriptor he used (admirably and very sparingly) was "Beyond Category."

Stealing from the Duke, that's how I describe Diana (and Geno): Beyond Category.

(Stewie is next.)

Reaction Score

It's a bit easier to defend a player when one knows there is little chance of them opting to drive inside.

Reaction Score
You get no argument from me about Kaleena. But her competition (e.g., Courtney, KLS) may be on the way. She should heed the advice of the immortal *Satchel Paige:

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

*Satch was surely one of the greatest pitchers of all-time. Denied the opportunity to throw baseballs past what Jimmy Breslin described as the total major league rosters in the old days: "Baseball was played by hillbillies with keen eyesight."

It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Over thirty years ago, I read a book by Quincy Trouppe, a catcher back in the old days who played two years with Satchel Paige in Bismarck, ND in the mid 30's. Apparently, Paige was having a contract dispute with the Pittsburgh owner. I recall reading in the book that he never lost a game pitching for Bismarck. Wikipedia has Paige going 29-2 during that second season. The truth is out there somewhere.

Reaction Score
KLS's shot isn't quite as pretty as KML's, but she has a very quick release and can bury it from anywhere. She might break some records at UConn.
I'm just saying, the "net effect" of a three point shot is to go through the rim successfully so I'm not quite as concerned about the "form" that initiated that act. I love KML and everything she brings to the game, even beyond her uncanny ability to shoot. She's a great teammate and a physical presence inside when she has to be. She goes way beyond being strictly a three point shooter with very adept passing being part of her arsenal. That doesn't mean I don't hope KLS comes in or even Courtney, and blow Kaleena's numbers off the top rung and exceed her as the premier three point shooters in the school's history. They are all great kids and it's always been about team first so, yes, I won't have any problem with either (or both) of these kids coming in (despite their lesser 3 point shooting form) and top our Ms. KML!

G

genosguy

My opinion, and everyone has one (not necessarily opinion)--but I believe that at every step of the way (except for injuries) KML out played/scored Maya. Maya for 2.4 years was insulted and reflected it when she was made a ping pong ball. ND took her right out of the Final 4--Geno said she had no help in Maya's Sr year--this year KML's Jr year, she was bounced,pushed, pulled banged and banged up--and still scored. She attacks the basket better than Maya did as a Soph/Jr. Maya however is still one of my all time favorites, right up there with Svet and Sue. Maya is a class and nice person (KML is nice too). Maya may have had bigger numbers because she was the "go to" scorer --KML had Stewie, Steph, Hartley, and a few others to fill up the data sheets.
I love KML's 10/14 ft shot--it's such an easy motion---her 3 ball is pure and money. Rebounding--she fills up the boxes. Assist-to. I'm they guy when ND won in 3 ot's said KML (in that game) was a liability (because she was a Frosh and Muffet went for the weakest link). Geno beat me up for that.

G

genosguy

It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Over thirty years ago, I read a book by Quincy Trouppe, a catcher back in the old days who played two years with Satchel Paige in Bismarck, ND in the mid 30's. Apparently, Paige was having a contract dispute with the Pittsburgh owner. I recall reading in the book that he never lost a game pitching for Bismarck. Wikipedia has Paige going 29-2 during that second season. The truth is out there somewhere.
Satch Paige was amazing--he must have been 90 years old when he made the majors--but played like teenager. Everyone was thrilled with Jackie Robinson---Give me Satch any day. He was a top notch pitcher. Loved that guy. I for one would believe Satch--I never heard or read an interview of his that I thought he was "puffing " his records. I do believe he lied like blazes about his age saying he was like 40 years younger.

G

genosguy

We know how well Diana could shoot 'em. Same goes for Kaleena.

Next season we'll see how Courtney can nail them, but we have to wait a year for Katie Lou.

Don't forget Stewie.

Then there is this 13-year old kid in Philly....:rolleyes:
KLS ain't so all that---not so much--a bit of averages---she only 6 of 10 in the 3 ball shooting comp. And none from half court-what is it with this kid --doesn't she have any range??? I now remove my tongue from my cheek.

G

genosguy

Until brought to my attention, it went completely unnoticed. My bad.
VA UConn Fan---My User name once was Broadway Bill (for Broadway, VA) until John Atavilla asked me if I went to a lot of Broadway shows. Had my own (Uconn) lab in the old Metal WW2 Shooting range behind ROTC--research assistant

Reaction Score
My opinion, and everyone has one (not necessarily opinion)--but I believe that at every step of the way (except for injuries) KML out played/scored Maya. Maya for 2.4 years was insulted and reflected it when she was made a ping pong ball. ND took her right out of the Final 4--Geno said she had no help in Maya's Sr year--this year KML's Jr year, she was bounced,pushed, pulled banged and banged up--and still scored. She attacks the basket better than Maya did as a Soph/Jr. Maya however is still one of my all time favorites, right up there with Svet and Sue. Maya is a class and nice person (KML is nice too). Maya may have had bigger numbers because she was the "go to" scorer --KML had Stewie, Steph, Hartley, and a few others to fill up the data sheets.
I love KML's 10/14 ft shot--it's such an easy motion---her 3 ball is pure and money. Rebounding--she fills up the boxes. Assist-to. I'm they guy when ND won in 3 ot's said KML (in that game) was a liability (because she was a Frosh and Muffet went for the weakest link). Geno beat me up for that.
You make some good points but in Maya's senior year NC, I agree with Geno, she had little support. Sure ND took her out, because they had no one else to worry about.

Reaction Score

If what you believe can be quantified with facts, then no one can argue with you. However, to say that Ms Mosqueda-Lewis has outplayed Maya at every step of her college career is a huge step on a shaky limb.

Reaction Score
While KML is the current champ, there are a couple of contenders on the way. From what I've seen, she will have some serious competition very shortly.
Here are KLM's 3 pt numbers at UConn so far.
2011-2012 3 pt fg pct = .384
2012-2013 = .492
2013-2014 = .413
From what I've seen of KLS, we may very well have a new champ shortly. And who knows what Ekmark will do.

Reaction Score
Boy are you off base.

ND took her right out of the game in her senior year?
She was the #1, #2, and #3 option on that team, everyone in the gym knew it, and she scored 36 points on just under 50% shooting while being the major focus of the defense. Try again.

KML attacked the basket better than Maya did?
This is a little less quantifiable, so you might have to trust me when I say that statement is every bit as ridiculous as the first. Maya was a far-better penetrator than KML and it's not close. In her sophomore year, she made 70 more two pointers and got to the line 47 more times than KML, so please, explain to me how you have a leg to stand on here.

Maya had better numbers than KML just because she was the go-to scorer?
We don't have senior numbers to compare, and I'd assume you'd rather look at sophomore numbers than junior year because of KML's injuries. In that case, have you heard of a couple of flubs named Montgomery, Charles, Greene, and Hayes? You might have heard of them because all four are playing in the WNBA and 2 have been all-stars. Once again, try again.

But since you bring it up, let's look at their sophomore stats.

Maya scored 1.7 points more while shooting a better percentage from the field. As discussed above, she did it while she made 70 more two pointers and got to the line 47 more times. Not bad for someone who can't attack the basket like KML can.

She got 2.6 more rebounds per game.

She got .92 more assists per game, with a 50% better assist to turnover ratio.

She had 1.2 extra blocks per game.

She got .45 more steals per game.

Maya led KML in every statistical category except for 3pt and FT%.

In conclusion, could I please have some of whatever you're smoking?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger