Lauren Betts in the Portal | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Lauren Betts in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is that still the case though? For every Aaliyah and Dorka who improve mightily, there seems to be an Amari and Ayanna who don't.

I'm not trying to be negative here, but with all the disappointment in the development of our younger post players that's been expressed this year, it seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance to say we're particularly good at developing our bigs.
You realize Liv is in the WNBA, right?

Good chance Dorka is going to get drafted late rd 1 or early rd 2, right?

You realize Edwards has progressed tremendously, right?

Reaction Score
Many of these players come from less-than-wealthy backgrounds and may never have a better opportunity to make serious money even if they make it in pro ball............can you honestly say you would turn down big money before you even graduated from college? That said, looking for NIL deals doesn't mean that they don't want to win championships.......

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Is that still the case though? For every Aaliyah and Dorka who improve mightily, there seems to be an Amari and Ayanna who don't.

I'm not trying to be negative here, but with all the disappointment in the development of our younger post players that's been expressed this year, it seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance to say we're particularly good at developing our bigs.
Jury is out on Ayanna. Far too soon to conclude.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
misquamicut beach
My son lives near UCLA. Some days with LA area traffic, its faster to RI beaches from Storrs as it is to Malibu from LA. Winter is a bit different.
UCLA campus is 5 miles from Santa Monica Beach. Malibu is a different story though.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
UCLA campus is 5 miles from Santa Monica Beach. Malibu is a different story though.
I know. Can still take a half hour to SM. Been stuck in traffic anywhere around LA

Reaction Score
Rumor has it that this is Tara's last year at the helm of the Cardinal. She had an alleged meeting with her team to let them know so they can plan for their future. Betts wanted a new environment as everyone else has a COVID year to lean on. This is all speculation but -

Tara's contract was renewed in 2020 with an alleged option for this 24/25 that she will not opt in
Her recent comments from Olivia Dunne's NIL deal diss, to the Stanford men's team diss postgame in the NCAA and some internal conflicts have led Stanford admin to mutually agree.
Stanford's portal stance limits their ability to construct rosters. With transfers out, they can only gain grad transfers in

Reaction Score
No idea if this is legitimate or not, but this article suggests Iowa is the likely destination:
I'd be shocked if it was Iowa. Beyond shocked. Unless she knows she is bringing over some other extreme talent.

My wild uninformed guess is that Iowa has very little shot unless other players also transfer to Iowa. What's going to happpen when Clark is gone? The opposing teams defenses are going to swarm so bad on her.

Reaction Score
Betts is allegedly following ND and UCLA on IG. Those two seem like the front runners.

Reaction Score
Living in Los Angeles I got to see her quite a bit in the PAC12 network….she would be awesome if we could get her….we do not need more guards
A little compendium of her progress

Reaction Score
Rumor has it that this is Tara's last year at the helm of the Cardinal. She had an alleged meeting with her team to let them know so they can plan for their future. Betts wanted a new environment as everyone else has a COVID year to lean on. This is all speculation but -

Tara's contract was renewed in 2020 with an alleged option for this 24/25 that she will not opt in
Her recent comments from Olivia Dunne's NIL deal diss, to the Stanford men's team diss postgame in the NCAA and some internal conflicts have led Stanford admin to mutually agree.
Stanford's portal stance limits their ability to construct rosters. With transfers out, they can only gain grad transfers in
This is some serious speculation. How has the media not picked up on this? There are no links on this as yet?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if it was Iowa. Beyond shocked. Unless she knows she is bringing over some other extreme talent.

My wild uninformed guess is that Iowa has very little shot unless other players also transfer to Iowa. What's going to happpen when Clark is gone? The opposing teams defenses are going to swarm so bad on her.
Clark could stay 2 more years, meaning Betts potentially only has 1 year without her (and playing with a player like Betts might incentivize Clark to stay a 5th year). And Bluder the last 3 years has kept a bevy of shooters in the lineup. If that stays the same, it means the floor is spaced well for Betts and opposing defenses wouldn't be able to sag in a zone like Iowa clogged the paint for SC's bigs. And no program has a better recent track record for developing offensive bigs, as Czinano/Gustafson both turned out to be far better than anyone ever imagined. I'm not expecting it to be Iowa, but from a personnel and player development standpoint, Iowa would be a great pick for Betts.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

This wouldn't surprise me at all. In volleyball we saw a similar exodus of players when Russ Rose (all time winningest volleyball coach) retired last year. Tara turns 70 this year and the level of talent on her roster is taking a hit with Jones/Betts leaving, and will take an even bigger hit with Brink/Jump both likely gone after next year.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

From what I've read, Iowa does not have any room on the roster right now. And they may have just gotten a 3rd commitment for 2024.

Reaction Score

People do retire some day. That said, I would wish for an iconic program like Stanford to have smooth transition plans and recruit a high caliber coach to take over. It is harder to rebuild after a program suffers a big dip.

Reaction Score
Clark could stay 2 more years, meaning Betts potentially only has 1 year without her (and playing with a player like Betts might incentivize Clark to stay a 5th year). And Bluder the last 3 years has kept a bevy of shooters in the lineup. If that stays the same, it means the floor is spaced well for Betts and opposing defenses wouldn't be able to sag in a zone like Iowa clogged the paint for SC's bigs. And no program has a better recent track record for developing offensive bigs, as Czinano/Gustafson both turned out to be far better than anyone ever imagined. I'm not expecting it to be Iowa, but from a personnel and player development standpoint, Iowa would be a great pick for Betts.
Why should she stay the 2nd year vs going pro? Her life dream has probably been to become a pro. Now she is going to risk it all for a possible injury? She is not 60 years old, she is 20. Her whole life has been in pursuit of competition and compete against the best.

Secondly, she can make a killing Overseas.

Third, the track record of schools like Notre Dame (I'll say ND as a beneifit of the doubt. I hate the program but Ivey as a dsiciple ot Muffett I'll give them the benefit of the doubt)), UCONN and SC is far superior to Czinano/Gustafson. So I don't agree with the context of your post about Iowa's bigs. And I'm sure Betts would be looking at just not offense.

So im summary she is going to pin so much of her future development on just one player who can so easily go pro in which Clark owes Betts nothing? No matter what Clark says now - Betts is going to want to risk so much on Clark staying? It's not like they are best friends.

So as stated, there are far better places for Betts to go. It would be a crazy, risky pick if it were Iowa. She would be relying on the decision of one player only to make such an important move/impact in her life.

Reaction Score

But check out the number of UCONN players in the WNBA. Note the recent record = e.g. Olivia
Nelson-Ododa. Lauren Betts should check and see how DORKA does in the WNBA draft
before making any quick decision. (IMO)

Reaction Score
But check out the number of UCONN players in the WNBA. Note the recent record = e.g. Olivia
Nelson-Ododa. Lauren Betts should check and see how DORKA does in the WNBA draft
before making any quick decision. (IMO)
UConn and ND have been the programs with the most WNBA success by far as of late.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Why should she stay the 2nd year vs going pro? Her life dream has probably been to become a pro. Now she is going to risk it all for a possible injury? She is not 60 years old, she is 20. Her whole life has been in pursuit of competition and compete against the best.

Secondly, she can make a killing Overseas.

Third, the track record of schools like Notre Dame (I'll say ND as a beneifit of the doubt. I hate the program but Ivey as a dsiciple ot Muffett I'll give them the benefit of the doubt)), UCONN and SC is far superior to Czinano/Gustafson. So I don't agree with the context of your post about Iowa's bigs. And I'm sure Betts would be looking at just not offense.

So im summary she is going to pin so much of her future development on just one player who can so easily go pro in which Clark owes Betts nothing? No matter what Clark says now - Betts is going to want to risk so much on Clark staying? It's not like they are best friends.

So as stated, there are far better places for Betts to go. It would be a crazy, risky pick if it were Iowa. She would be relying on the decision of one player only to make such an important move/impact in her life.

Clark has publicly stated she's considering using a 5th year. The amount she's making from NIL (600k+ IG followers and quickly climbing) and the attention she's getting far exceed the money and publicity she'd get in the W/overseas combined. Plus she gets to stay at home, play in front of family/friends in front of sold out crowds, watch her highlights on SportsCenter every night, etc. She'll have more exposure playing in Iowa than she will playing in the W for 3 months and in Europe for 5-6. Reese from the same class just publicly stated she's a sophomore (which to me indicates she's likely to stick around for her 5th covid year) and that she's making far more in college than she would going pro. Paige has a similar situation. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them stick around a 5th year. I also wouldn't be surprised if all 3 go pro, but there is huge incentive for each of them to stay.

And you're overly focused on the 1 Clark comment as rationale for Betts going there, and you repeatedly bringing that up as the only reason while ignoring the rest of what I stated. The biggest reason for Iowa would be post development. Iowa's recent track record is phenomenal, with Gustafson/Czinano being among the best finishers around the basket in the last 6-7 years. Both improved leaps and bounds under Bluder/Jensen and maximized their abilities at Iowa. Neither of them have the body types to be elite dominant posts in the WNBA, but if you look at how much a player improved from when she got to college to graduation, they're undeniably 2 of the best success stories.

Another factor to consider--Iowa's offense thrives on involving their bigs in offensive sets aside from primarily screening. Bluder's offense spaces the floor so bigs have space to seal and get 1 on 1 opportunities inside. They incorporate a lot of pick and roll and are actively involved in plays. It's a fun offense for posts to play in.

Another reason why it'd be a viable spot is Iowa has a need for a big center with Czinano graduating. Stuelke had a nice freshman year and O'Grady (Betts old HS teammate) did a nice job in a reduced role, but Betts would surely cement down the starting center role from day 1 at Iowa, so her opportunity for playing time would be significant.

And I understand you think it's a crazy irrational decision for her to potentially pick Iowa, but it was the same crazy risky pick for Caitlin Clark to go to Iowa. Look how that's turned out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I did notice the assistant with the short blonde hair running the show during the timeouts at Stanford and Tara standing off to the side.

Reaction Score
So, calling on Stanford fans - what did you see this past season with Betts' production, development, etc, that showed a marked difference from her HS years? That's what I'd be interested in knowing - her growth this past year.

Her finalists were ASU, Baylor, UCLA, UConn, L'ville, ND, OR, S Carolina.

WEB (I know, I know) twitter has a poll listing AZ, CO, SC, LSU, UConn, UCLA
I don't know if she would go to SC and play behind Cardosa. That's why I think she left Stanford since Brink had another year. I think she stays on the West Coast somewhere. We really need height and wish we would go after her moreso than Morrow and Van Lith since we have an abundance of players at those positions.

Reaction Score
Clark has publicly stated she's considering using a 5th year. The amount she's making from NIL (600k+ IG followers and quickly climbing) and the attention she's getting far exceed the money and publicity she'd get in the W/overseas combined. Plus she gets to stay at home, play in front of family/friends in front of sold out crowds, watch her highlights on SportsCenter every night, etc. She'll have more exposure playing in Iowa than she will playing in the W for 3 months and in Europe for 5-6. Reese from the same class just publicly stated she's a sophomore (which to me indicates she's likely to stick around for her 5th covid year) and that she's making far more in college than she would going pro. Paige has a similar situation. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them stick around a 5th year. I also wouldn't be surprised if all 3 go pro, but there is huge incentive for each of them to stay.

And you're overly focused on the 1 Clark comment as rationale for Betts going there, and you repeatedly bringing that up as the only reason while ignoring the rest of what I stated. The biggest reason for Iowa would be post development. Iowa's recent track record is phenomenal, with Gustafson/Czinano being among the best finishers around the basket in the last 6-7 years. Both improved leaps and bounds under Bluder/Jensen and maximized their abilities at Iowa. Neither of them have the body types to be elite dominant posts in the WNBA, but if you look at how much a player improved from when she got to college to graduation, they're undeniably 2 of the best success stories.

Another factor to consider--Iowa's offense thrives on involving their bigs in offensive sets aside from primarily screening. Bluder's offense spaces the floor so bigs have space to seal and get 1 on 1 opportunities inside. They incorporate a lot of pick and roll and are actively involved in plays. It's a fun offense for posts to play in.

Another reason why it'd be a viable spot is Iowa has a need for a big center with Czinano graduating. Stuelke had a nice freshman year and O'Grady (Betts old HS teammate) did a nice job in a reduced role, but Betts would surely cement down the starting center role from day 1 at Iowa, so her opportunity for playing time would be significant.

And I understand you think it's a crazy irrational decision for her to potentially pick Iowa, but it was the same crazy risky pick for Caitlin Clark to go to Iowa. Look how that's turned out.
Olivia had far more success in one year of the WNBA than Gustafson has in her entire WNBA career so far. Unless Lauren wants an overseas career rather than a WNBA one I don’t think Iowa is a superior choice than UConn.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Olivia had far more success in one year of the WNBA than Gustafson has in her entire WNBA career so far. Unless Lauren wants an overseas career rather than a WNBA one I don’t think Iowa is a superior choice than UConn.
Success in the WNBA is as much about physical traits as it is skill development. Nelson-Ododa is 6-5 with a much longer, more athletic and pro ready body than Gustafson has. And those 2 have had comparable success, one hasn’t “far” outdone the other like you claim.

At any rate though, I’m not even saying she shouldn’t go to UCONN or that it’d be a bad choice! I’m just stating I think Iowa would be a great fit for her. She could to a number of schools and thrive, and I believe she’d thrive at Iowa.

Reaction Score
Success in the WNBA is as much about physical traits as it is skill development. Nelson-Ododa is 6-5 with a much longer, more athletic and pro ready body than Gustafson has. And those 2 have had comparable success, one hasn’t “far” outdone the other like you claim.

At any rate though, I’m not even saying she shouldn’t go to UCONN or that it’d be a bad choice! I’m just stating I think Iowa would be a great fit for her. She could to a number of schools and thrive, and I believe she’d thrive at Iowa.
I think Jan is a great coach. I just don’t understand the narrative I see that UConn can’t develop post players lately compared to Iowa.

I agree Lauren would do well in Iowa and if she feels that’s the best choice she should go there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You can' take what that poster said seriously. Tara won a title 2 years ago and got to FF last year. Now all of a sudden she can't coach?

I’m asking how involved she is. I don’t know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom