Lauren Betts in the Portal | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Lauren Betts in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if it was Iowa. Beyond shocked. Unless she knows she is bringing over some other extreme talent.

My wild uninformed guess is that Iowa has very little shot unless other players also transfer to Iowa. What's going to happpen when Clark is gone? The opposing teams defenses are going to swarm so bad on her.

Betts is friends with a current back-up player at Iowa.

Reaction Score
Is that still the case though? For every Aaliyah and Dorka who improve mightily, there seems to be an Amari and Ayanna who don't.

I'm not trying to be negative here, but with all the disappointment in the development of our younger post players that's been expressed this year, it seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance to say we're particularly good at developing our bigs.
You forget that the players have to be coachable, and have the drive to be great

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if it was Iowa. Beyond shocked. Unless she knows she is bringing over some other extreme talent.

My wild uninformed guess is that Iowa has very little shot unless other players also transfer to Iowa. What's going to happpen when Clark is gone? The opposing teams defenses are going to swarm so bad on her.
What if Hailey van Lith and Lauren talk to see if they can play with Caitlin Clark? It would not only help recruiting but probably more in the transfer portal. That would be serious competition for any team already assembled or yet to be.

I understand Betts has played with Clark in an international tournament.

Reaction Score
Clark has publicly stated she's considering using a 5th year. The amount she's making from NIL (600k+ IG followers and quickly climbing) and the attention she's getting far exceed the money and publicity she'd get in the W/overseas combined. Plus she gets to stay at home, play in front of family/friends in front of sold out crowds, watch her highlights on SportsCenter every night, etc. She'll have more exposure playing in Iowa than she will playing in the W for 3 months and in Europe for 5-6. Reese from the same class just publicly stated she's a sophomore (which to me indicates she's likely to stick around for her 5th covid year) and that she's making far more in college than she would going pro. Paige has a similar situation. I wouldn't be surprised if all of them stick around a 5th year. I also wouldn't be surprised if all 3 go pro, but there is huge incentive for each of them to stay.

And you're overly focused on the 1 Clark comment as rationale for Betts going there, and you repeatedly bringing that up as the only reason while ignoring the rest of what I stated. The biggest reason for Iowa would be post development. Iowa's recent track record is phenomenal, with Gustafson/Czinano being among the best finishers around the basket in the last 6-7 years. Both improved leaps and bounds under Bluder/Jensen and maximized their abilities at Iowa. Neither of them have the body types to be elite dominant posts in the WNBA, but if you look at how much a player improved from when she got to college to graduation, they're undeniably 2 of the best success stories.

Another factor to consider--Iowa's offense thrives on involving their bigs in offensive sets aside from primarily screening. Bluder's offense spaces the floor so bigs have space to seal and get 1 on 1 opportunities inside. They incorporate a lot of pick and roll and are actively involved in plays. It's a fun offense for posts to play in.

Another reason why it'd be a viable spot is Iowa has a need for a big center with Czinano graduating. Stuelke had a nice freshman year and O'Grady (Betts old HS teammate) did a nice job in a reduced role, but Betts would surely cement down the starting center role from day 1 at Iowa, so her opportunity for playing time would be significant.

And I understand you think it's a crazy irrational decision for her to potentially pick Iowa, but it was the same crazy risky pick for Caitlin Clark to go to Iowa. Look how that's turned out.

Milfordhusky just sent me a post that Betts has a friend at Iowa. If a very close friend then I can understand Iowa. But if not then below applies.

I don't agree. in regard to your context to the money I easily googled and it states players can make up to $500K overseas but that was as of November. And as you have pointed out, with the game expanding then that is likely to increase. And when she is playing in the WNBA she'll get more than the $70K with endorsements. She'll make a fortune in endorsements because as you say - the game is expanding. . And The IG followers won't go away. And her brand would be pushed globally. SO, everything is going to go up.

And what Clark comment are you talking about? What I tried to explain to you which I made clear was that UCONN and SC as examples have had greater success than Iowa for low post development. historically UCONN and SC posts are far superior to Gustafson/Czinano. You keep trying to selectively use a definition of posts as "finish around the basket." Is that the reason why the past number 1 recruit is going to choose a coach? Defense and passing and learning to also face the basket all don't count as well? It's just "low post finishing?" There is more to the game for a center than "low post finishing."

In regards to offenses that you point out, one example I'd counter, UCONN's Offense is elite with bigs. and Yes Iowa's big is graduating but so is South Carolina's and UCONN doesn't have true center and ND's center is graduating. All schools with much better team track records of success than Iowa.

As far as your point about Clark picking Iowa is the same- well it's not even close to being the same. Clark had the option of after 1 year or 2 she could move. But historically how many super level recruits transfer more than once??? You seriously think Betts is going to go to Iowa then look for a 3rd time in her carer to move on if Clark goes and Iowa doesn’t get sufficient talent? She probably won't. Most stars aren't looking to move 3 times over a normal 4-year career. This 2nd time is usually "it." The 1st time you know you have viable option. You really think a player that desperately needs minutes after her frosh year she had few would want to potentially go with 3 different coaches in 4 years?

And why do you think Clark's comment now holds an iota of water vs what she may do at the end if next year? Situations like this change in life. How many times does a player give a verbal then back out? You really think 20 year old players are that clear about the future a year from now?

Reaction Score
What if Hailey van Lith and Lauren talk to see if they can play with Caitlin Clark? It would not only help recruiting but probably more in the transfer portal. That would be serious competition for any team already assembled or yet to be.
Absolutely.

My 1st reply on this thread on this subject - the very 1st sentence is below.

"I'd be shocked if it was Iowa. Beyond shocked. Unless she knows she is bringing over some other extreme talent."

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Milfordhusky just sent me a post that Betts has a friend at Iowa. If a very close friend then I can understand Iowa. But if not then below applies.

I don't agree. in regard to your context to the money I easily googled and it states players can make up to $500K overseas but that was as of November. And as you have pointed out, with the game expanding then that is likely to increase. And when she is playing in the WNBA she'll get more than the $70K with endorsements. She'll make a fortune in endorsements because as you say - the game is expanding. . And The IG followers won't go away. And her brand would be pushed globally. SO, everything is going to go up.

And what Clark comment are you talking about? What I tried to explain to you which I made clear was that UCONN and SC as examples have had greater success than Iowa for low post development. historically UCONN and SC posts are far superior to Gustafson/Czinano. You keep trying to selectively use a definition of posts as "finish around the basket." Is that the reason why the past number 1 recruit is going to choose a coach? Defense and passing and learning to also face the basket all don't count as well? It's just "low post finishing?" There is more to the game for a center than "low post finishing."

In regards to offenses that you point out, one example I'd counter, UCONN's Offense is elite with bigs. and Yes Iowa's big is graduating but so is South Carolina's and UCONN doesn't have true center and ND's center is graduating. All schools with much better team track records of success than Iowa.

As far as your point about Clark picking Iowa is the same- well it's not even close to being the same. Clark had the option of after 1 year or 2 she could move. But historically how many super level recruits transfer more than once??? You seriously think Betts is going to go to Iowa then look for a 3rd time in her carer to move on if Clark goes and Iowa doesn’t get sufficient talent? She probably won't. Most stars aren't looking to move 3 times over a normal 4-year career. This 2nd time is usually "it." The 1st time you know you have viable option. You really think a player that desperately needs minutes after her frosh year she had few would want to potentially go with 3 different coaches in 4 years?

And why do you think Clark's comment now holds an iota of water vs what she may do at the end if next year? Situations like this change in life. How many times does a player give a verbal then back out? You really think 20 year old players are that clear about the future a year from now?

1. Here's the comment about staying a 5th year: Caitlin Clark doesn't rule out staying at Iowa for fifth year - JWS

2. Caitlin Clark is reportedly earning over a million dollars a year from NIL before she signed with Nike last year. Her visibility and market value has skyrocketed since then. A few hundred thousand for overseas and 70k for WNBA is likely a small percentage of what she'll make this upcoming year. Also, brand deals might pay less since her visibility will be lower playing overseas than if she's playing college basketball where fans are tuning in and watching her play all of the time. They might not, and it might be more money all around like you say. At any rate, she's loaded from NIL.

3. There is more to post play than offense, but there's no denying Iowa's coaching staff has done a brilliant job coaching up their posts in recent years. Can you honestly state they didn't do an excellent job with Gustafson and Czinano?

4. The comment you made was not about Connecticut--it was about Iowa. I never said anything about Connecticut. As I mentioned to another defensive poster on here, I simply stated I think Iowa would be a great pick for her and provided my rationale for why. I never stated it was the only option or the "right" option. There are a number of excellent coaches and schools out there that have needs for a center and I happen to think Iowa is a destination where Betts would thrive and could help make Iowa a contender.

5. I don't understand what your point is in the large paragraph at the end. My point with Clark making the same "risky" pick is that she took a chance on a school that wasn't a powerhouse and it has worked out great for her. If you want an example of a big time player who transferred to an unheralded program and found success, maybe Angel Reese is a better example. There are risks with every transfer, but I don't see how you believe Iowa is an extremely risky destination vs several other programs. I also don't understand your rationale for why you think Betts going to Iowa will be a flop for either party.

6. Considering Clark has said she may or may not utilize her 5th year, I do think it holds an 'iota of water' since those are the 2 options for her next year. She hasn't said she has a clear vision for what the future holds, so I'm not sure why you're belittling her when she's stated she's considering both options.

Reaction Score
Absolutely.

My 1st reply on this thread on this subject - the very 1st sentence is below.

"I'd be shocked if it was Iowa. Beyond shocked. Unless she knows she is bringing over some other extreme talent."
Note that van Lith has a "Do Not Contact" in her portal entry. I wonder if Betts has the same thing. That notice probably means she has identified her options and will talk to them and then evaluate or talk to someone like Betts who entered the portal before her!

Reaction Score
Jury is out on Ayanna. Far too soon to conclude.
I agree. Ayanna did show flashes of her raw power. I think Ayanna just has to find her "it" factor, and then own it. Ayanna's athletic ability alone can be a game changer, coming off the bench. I would.love to see her drive to the basket in full force. She will get fouled more than half the time. So hopefully, Ayanna can utilize her strength to draw fouls and nail her free throws. She can be used as a player who can draw quick fouls on other top 4's and 5's.

Reaction Score

I understand Betts has played with Clark in an international tournament.
I agree man.. Betts, Van lith, and Clark on the same team would be crazy good. I would still put my money on Bueckers and Fudd vs Clark and Van lith.

Reaction Score
I just hope Amari comes back next year as a mad.woman on a mission. She has such a golden opportunity to really be something special and show what she is capable of. Amari is coached by the best of the best. To be honest, and this is just my humble opinion. Amari should focus on defense. Maybe train with men during the summer and learn how to absorb contact and understand her body a bit more. Her offense is natural, she can shoot. So because she can shoot, her focus should be on defense and post up game on offense. If Amari develops a "drive to the basket" game, she's going to be difficult to guard. I feel.like.her and Azzi play a passive game.of basketball. I hope they ditch their good girl approach and become, dare I say, cocky.

Reaction Score
I agree man.. Betts, Van lith, and Clark on the same team would be crazy good. I would still put my money on Bueckers and Fudd vs Clark and Van lith.
UConn defended Clark best with Nika and Azzi on the perimeter defense.....Paige thinks she knows Clark's tendencies.....we'll how that will work out if the teams meet, with or without my speculated transfers

Reaction Score
1. Here's the comment about staying a 5th year: Caitlin Clark doesn't rule out staying at Iowa for fifth year - JWS

2. Caitlin Clark is reportedly earning over a million dollars a year from NIL before she signed with Nike last year. Her visibility and market value has skyrocketed since then. A few hundred thousand for overseas and 70k for WNBA is likely a small percentage of what she'll make this upcoming year. Also, brand deals might pay less since her visibility will be lower playing overseas than if she's playing college basketball where fans are tuning in and watching her play all of the time. They might not, and it might be more money all around like you say. At any rate, she's loaded from NIL.

3. There is more to post play than offense, but there's no denying Iowa's coaching staff has done a brilliant job coaching up their posts in recent years. Can you honestly state they didn't do an excellent job with Gustafson and Czinano?

4. The comment you made was not about Connecticut--it was about Iowa. I never said anything about Connecticut. As I mentioned to another defensive poster on here, I simply stated I think Iowa would be a great pick for her and provided my rationale for why. I never stated it was the only option or the "right" option. There are a number of excellent coaches and schools out there that have needs for a center and I happen to think Iowa is a destination where Betts would thrive and could help make Iowa a contender.

5. I don't understand what your point is in the large paragraph at the end. My point with Clark making the same "risky" pick is that she took a chance on a school that wasn't a powerhouse and it has worked out great for her. If you want an example of a big time player who transferred to an unheralded program and found success, maybe Angel Reese is a better example. There are risks with every transfer, but I don't see how you believe Iowa is an extremely risky destination vs several other programs. I also don't understand your rationale for why you think Betts going to Iowa will be a flop for either party.

6. Considering Clark has said she may or may not utilize her 5th year, I do think it holds an 'iota of water' since those are the 2 options for her next year. She hasn't said she has a clear vision for what the future holds, so I'm not sure why you're belittling her when she's stated she's considering both options.
But what are your points proving? Just because she has 2 options -- are you saying that because she has 2 options it means both are equal? My point is, that the 2 options aren't equal. A further example, a player has 2 options after they give a verbal. You can't put much faith in what a 20-year-old might do for the future, can you? So we can't put much stock in what she says, can we? Because hasn't history shown us different? The two options were not equal.

In regard to your quoting her- tell me, how many wcbb players leave in which the year before they made it clear that the following year was no doubt that they would leave even though they know they have more eligibility? Nobody this young in wcbb is going to close that door in which importantly they came so close to a title. Suppose they get hurt late in the season after they made it clear at the start they were going to leave? They aren't going to go public and close that door.

Secondly, I was responding to what you first said $600K . But I could have equally said which I did mention in my post is that when she goes into the WNBA, she is going to get huge endorsements. Can you imagine if she is here close to us in New York? Or Los Angeles? You don’t think she'd make a killing in endorsements considering how as you mentioned the game is expanding as is her current popularity?

Third, yes Iowa has done well with posts. But I'll reiterate again teams like UCONN and SC are superior. Can you honestly say Gustafson and Czinano are close to some of the greats that have come out of UCONN and South Carolina? And for the record, I was just responding to your specific mention of "finish around the basket." And I guess that we are in agreement that there is more to that - so "finish around the basket" is just one component of several other factors.

Fourth the comment I made had to do with my 1st reply to you that Clark would be crazy not to go because Betts can only rely on Clark staying 1 year; after Clark leaves defenses will swam upon her. As a result, I've made it clear that teams such as UCONN and South Carolina and I also gave ND the benefit of the doubt - they would be superior. When you are transferring and you know you can get a god chunk of minutes and you have your pick during the transfer, why wouldn't you go with the superior coaching and team? If Clark were to leave, she is stuck in Iowa. The risk is 3 teams in 4 years. It's not that they won't be a title contender in 2023-2204 season.

5-- I don't understand how you can't understand. I made it clear how many super top recruits that show as much promise as Betts has leaves 3 times in 4 years. I said 3 times in 4 years. Has Clark even transferred once? So, why bring her up? And Angel Reese has transferred once not twice. If Clark leaves next year and there are no extremely good recruits that come to Iowa, am I wrong to assume that Iowa probably won't be a title contender for the foreseeable future after Clark leaves and no top level players come to Iowa? If what I said is correct, then similarly how is that near the same as Angel Reece teaming up with Mulkey (one of the greatest wcbb coaches of all-time)? And what was the chance that Angel Reece was going to leave Kim Mulkey, and what risk was there that Kim wouldn't build a strong team?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Third, yes Iowa has done well with posts. But I'll reiterate again teams like UCONN and SC are superior. Can you honestly say Gustafson and Czinano are close to some of the greats that have come out of UCONN and South Carolina?

Gustafson is still the only post player to score 1,000 points in an NCAA season. She led the nation in five categories as a senior and won the Naismith award.

Czinano came to Iowa completely unheralded and had an excellent career.

Those are two big recent examples for a post to be intrigued by.

Better can be assured she'll play constantly under Bluder and the chance to play with Clark for 1-2 years is enticing. Add in a good friend from high school and I think Iowa's gotta be close to odds-on favorite.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
But what are your points proving? Just because she has 2 options -- are you saying that because she has 2 options it means both are equal? My point is, that the 2 options aren't equal. A further example, a player has 2 options after they give a verbal. You can't put much faith in what a 20-year-old might do for the future, can you? So we can't put much stock in what she says, can we? Because hasn't history shown us different? The two options were not equal.

In regard to your quoting her- tell me, how many wcbb players leave in which the year before they made it clear that the following year was no doubt that they would leave even though they know they have more eligibility? Nobody this young in wcbb is going to close that door in which importantly they came so close to a title. Suppose they get hurt late in the season after they made it clear at the start they were going to leave? They aren't going to go public and close that door.

Secondly, I was responding to what you first said $600K . But I could have equally said which I did mention in my post is that when she goes into the WNBA, she is going to get huge endorsements. Can you imagine if she is here close to us in New York? Or Los Angeles? You don’t think she'd make a killing in endorsements considering how as you mentioned the game is expanding as is her current popularity?

Third, yes Iowa has done well with posts. But I'll reiterate again teams like UCONN and SC are superior. Can you honestly say Gustafson and Czinano are close to some of the greats that have come out of UCONN and South Carolina? And for the record, I was just responding to your specific mention of "finish around the basket." And I guess that we are in agreement that there is more to that - so "finish around the basket" is just one component of several other factors.

Fourth the comment I made had to do with my 1st reply to you that Clark would be crazy not to go because Betts can only rely on Clark staying 1 year; after Clark leaves defenses will swam upon her. As a result, I've made it clear that teams such as UCONN and South Carolina and I also gave ND the benefit of the doubt - they would be superior. When you are transferring and you know you can get a god chunk of minutes and you have your pick during the transfer, why wouldn't you go with the superior coaching and team? If Clark were to leave, she is stuck in Iowa. The risk is 3 teams in 4 years. It's not that they won't be a title contender in 2023-2204 season.

5-- I don't understand how you can't understand. I made it clear how many super top recruits that show as much promise as Betts has leaves 3 times in 4 years. I said 3 times in 4 years. Has Clark even transferred once? So, why bring her up? And Angel Reese has transferred once not twice. If Clark leaves next year and there are no extremely good recruits that come to Iowa, am I wrong to assume that Iowa probably won't be a title contender for the foreseeable future after Clark leaves and no top level players come to Iowa? If what I said is correct, then similarly how is that near the same as Angel Reece teaming up with Mulkey (one of the greatest wcbb coaches of all-time)? And what was the chance that Angel Reece was going to leave Kim Mulkey, and what risk was there that Kim wouldn't build a strong team?
This is getting really ticky tacky both ways so I’m not going to make this super long. This whole debate stemmed from me stating I think Iowa would be a good landing choice for Betts based on an article that stated she was wanting to play there. In my original post (which you liked btw) I mentioned other schools too including UCONN, ND and UCLA as potential landing spots where it’d be a good fit. I think she’d thrive at a number of schools, including Iowa if she goes there. It appears you dont think that way, and that is fine. We can agree to disagree about a hypothetical that probably isn’t even going to happen.

Reaction Score
Note that van Lith has a "Do Not Contact" in her portal entry. I wonder if Betts has the same thing. That notice probably means she has identified her options and will talk to them and then evaluate or talk to someone like Betts who entered the portal before her!

Gustafson is still the only post player to score 1,000 points in an NCAA season. She led the nation in five categories as a senior and won the Naismith award.

Czinano came to Iowa completely unheralded and had an excellent career.

Those are two big recent examples for a post to be intrigued by.

Better can be assured she'll play constantly under Bluder and the chance to play with Clark for 1-2 years is enticing. Add in a good friend from high school and I think Iowa's gotta be close to odds-on favorite.
Who is the overall better post player Stef Dolson and Kara Wolters and Tina Charles or Gustafson and Czinano?

Reaction Score
This is getting really ticky tacky both ways so I’m not going to make this super long. This whole debate stemmed from me stating I think Iowa would be a good landing choice for Betts based on an article that stated she was wanting to play there. In my original post (which you liked btw) I mentioned other schools too including UCONN, ND and UCLA as potential landing spots where it’d be a good fit. I think she’d thrive at a number of schools, including Iowa if she goes there. It appears you dont think that way, and that is fine. We can agree to disagree about a hypothetical that probably isn’t even going to happen.
I like many, many, many, many, many, many, many of your posts. And I agree with many, many, many, many, many. :)

And just to be clear I never said Iowa stinks.

Just that Betts would take on a huge risk to have to rely on Clark staying. Add that there are better alternatives (this doesn't mean Iowa stinks) and because she is transferring with an intent of getting decent minutes in big games and compete vs other contenders. The risk of Iowa not being a title contender after 1 year is too great vs other teams i mentioned coupled with the other reasons I've mentioned is too high because without Clark - teams will collapse on her.

This decision she is about to make is basically her last chance. What star player is going to want to play for 3 coaches in 4 years when in year 1 they played very few in which you aren't; sure if the team you choose in future years won't really be a title contender? You're a past number 1 recruit. You either will look to build a team early to be a future contender as a team leader, or you will join a team in which you are immediate. Right now Iowa would be an immediate contender for just 1 year.

And the only thing she can do after year 1 is hope and pray Clark stays. With a few other schools mentioned, there is much, much, much, much less "hope and prayer."

Reaction Score
I don't know if she would go to SC and play behind Cardosa. That's why I think she left Stanford since Brink had another year. I think she stays on the West Coast somewhere. We really need height and wish we would go after her moreso than Morrow and Van Lith since we have an abundance of players at those positions.
As to her at Scar, she would be in a slightly better position than Cardosa was when transferring to SCar after her freshman year

Cardosa came to SCar as a sophomore backup to Boston. That first year, she got time as her backup and occasional twin towers lineup. Cardosa’s time expanded the following (this year.) Betts will have the “learning year” behind Cardosa (and in the “twin towers”) and then can grab the starting position for two years rather than merely one.

Ideal? Maybe not but Cardosa’s journey is a pretty good example. I don’t know if she will be the nation’s best big next year ( I hope Ayoka Lee’s injury has healed) but she is certainly positioned for a first round selection.

Her mom has expressed that she would like Lauren to play for a black female coach, I think we may have a good shot. But Columbia is a long distance from Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom