Lack of Guard Penetration | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lack of Guard Penetration

Reaction Score
THe problem is he can't play PG as his talent level isn't good enough. Defense will just sag off him as he has no offensive game and his dribble is not tight enough. Don't let a few highlight reel passes fool you. He is not a point guard who can start the offense and then also keep teams honest by scoring. He has no jump shot or use of either hand on layups.
Was
THe problem is he can't play PG as his talent level isn't good enough. Defense will just sag off him as he has no offensive game and his dribble is not tight enough. Don't let a few highlight reel passes fool you. He is not a point guard who can start the offense and then also keep teams honest by scoring. He has no jump shot or use of either hand on layups.
Taliek Brown a shooter?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The lack of a guard who can break down a defense off the dribble is a killer.

Cole is who we thought he was and can be a real good asset on a well-coached team with defined roles and sets which match his skills. Right now that isn't the case. He cannot run the UConn "offense" (whatever that is) against higher level teams consistently. He scored a bunch today but couldn't get anyone else involved.

Reaction Score
Jackson often does drive the baseline but doesn't look for a quick stop, fake and layup. He is always looking to pass. Why???
He can't shoot and isn't confident in his shot. He would rather do anything but shoot-he is a poor man's Ben Simmons. Someone else on the Boneyard came up with that and it's true. When he is left wide open you can easily read his mind and it says "oh ---- I don't want to shoot".

Reaction Score
This is madness!! Fire Hurley now before it's too late!!! The basketball program is circling the toilet! Fire him I say, fire him!!!

Reaction Score
The team lacks a lot of things but a guard who can break his man down and score in the lane is by far the biggest problem. You're supposed to have several of them and we only have one guy who can do it a little and he's only 5'11 and gets swallowed up at the rim. It's shocking Hurley has had 4 seasons and still hasn't constructed a proper roster.
Bouknight was this guy last year. What was the problem with that roster?

Reaction Score
Lack of guards is the problem. Never mind the lack of guard penetration

Reaction Score
I c

I cant agree with you at all on that. He he can most definitely put the ball in the basket above or right at the rim. Talent wise, he the most talented player we have lol. He just ain’t out it together yet, I’m not saying he gotta do difficult stuff. He just gotta come hard off them screens and attack the basket. It can draw the defense in, and we can get them open corner 3’s and stuff. Cole comes off of picks and backs the ball right back out.
Yeah on an Alley-oop he can. He is the most athletically gifted. I will give you that. He can't break his man down and create his own offense now as he doesn't even posses a mid-range jumper. He still has a high dribble and can't back his man down and score over him. This isn't part of his game. If a PG was playing him that would cause havoc for him. I don't mind if he share ball duties when on the court with RJ or is the main ball handler in the backup squad but right now his game isn't at the level to me an elite PG for a top team. He has to develop a mid-range shot and work on his ugly floater.

Reaction Score
Cole was 7-12 on offense today. That is pretty efficient for a PG. The one thing that has hurt Cole this year is that his 3PT shot has been inconsistent. He is shooing under 33% from 3. He needs to improve on this to open things for him inside.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
AJ is not a PG. Who are you fooling with that nonsense. His dribble isn't tight enough and people will just sag off him an let him put up that ugly floater from 10 feet out. It makes you wonder who will play PG next year if Cole doesn't come back. I'm still perplexed how Diggins can't get minutes.
Yes….. but since we don’t run point guard breakdown stuff because Cole can’t do it either, the final question is “ what’s the difference?

Reaction Score
Yes….. but since we don’t run point guard breakdown stuff because Cole can’t do it either, the final question is “ what’s the difference?
Cole can and does break teams down it is just that he has to pass it more when the big man collapses on him. Maybe having Hawkins playing with him more will allow for somebody who can make an outside shot. I have faith that Hawkins will be a more consistent outside shooter as he gets more minutes. Unfotunately this team has a lot of warts but we just have to live with them. I hope we can bring in a break down 2 guard or wing who has a mid-range game too. Unfortunately the closet player to that is Martin but he loves a lot to be desired on his drives.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Cole can and does break teams down it is just that he has to pass it more when the big man collapses on him. Maybe having Hawkins playing with him more will allow for somebody who can make an outside shot. I have faith that Hawkins will be a more consistent outside shooter as he gets more minutes.
Hawkins doing that would help a great deal. The problem has never been RJ , but what’s asked of him.

Reaction Score
I was just saying we need a dog, a shooter and a penetrator ASAP! It's been too long without all three. We haven't had a shooter in half a decade (Polley's tenure). Whalley and Sonogo are both tough as nails but I've never seen either throw an elbow, they are too nice perhaps.

Reaction Score
Who on this roster passes better than him, and can set up his teammates for scooting opportunities?
If the player he is passing to can 1) expect the pass when it needs to be there, and 2) handle/hold the pass and score. Most of the players do not do either when AJ passes to them.

Reaction Score
Every good team has multiple options to go get a bucket. We have about 1. That’s on Hurley and the staff for roster construction. I don’t know what everyone’s fantasy of AJ is, but he is certainly no point guard. He’s one of the most careless players with the ball that I can recall we’ve had. I have to give it to him though, his turnovers don’t affect him much, he has a short memory. But these offseasons need to start paying off for players. Sanogo is the only player that I have seen significant improvement, and even he is hot and cold.

Reaction Score
RJ has to bail out the rest of our players on the court who are all "who me?, you mean you? are you sure?" for god sakes it is pathetic at times how much our guys are looking for someone else and then RJ has it with 5 seconds left on the shot clock.

Reaction Score
Was

Taliek Brown a shooter?
Ugh now we are comparing a True PG who could actually get by defenders and score at the hoop at times to a guy who is still developing his game. Unless you want to give up on the season and just have AJ work on being a PG I wouldn't advise it. I don't mind him helping RJ at times with running the offense but I don't want him to be the main facilitator as if you look at his Assist to turnover is right at 1 to 1 compared to RJ's over 2 to 1 ratio. I know we all want changes but I don't think this one is the way to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom