Lack of Guard Penetration | The Boneyard

Lack of Guard Penetration

Reaction Score
To me this is exactly what this team lacks. That’s why we don’t get hardly any open 3 attempts. We don’t have a guard that can get by Danny Hurley if he was playing D probably (being sarcastic). We don’t make teams rotate in defense at all, because we never can break the defense down at all. It literally kills us.

Reaction Score
To me this is exactly what this team lacks. That’s why we don’t get hardly any open 3 attempts. We don’t have a guard that can get by Danny Hurley if he was playing D probably (being sarcastic). We don’t make teams rotate in defense at all, because we never can break the defense down at all. It literally kills us.
The team lacks a lot of things but a guard who can break his man down and score in the lane is by far the biggest problem. You're supposed to have several of them and we only have one guy who can do it a little and he's only 5'11 and gets swallowed up at the rim. It's shocking Hurley has had 4 seasons and still hasn't constructed a proper roster.

Reaction Score
The team lacks a lot of things but a guard who can break his man down and score in the lane is by far the biggest problem. You're supposed to have several of them and we only have one guy who can do it a little and he's only 5'11 and gets swallowed up at the rim. It's shocking Hurley has had 4 seasons and still hasn't constructed a proper roster.
I honestly don’t even feel like Cole can do it: I love him as a player, but his lack of athleticism makes him nothing special when we play teams with athleticism. Our best bet is to switch Jackson to PG. he doesn’t help us in the wing, and he is our most athletic player. We don’t got anybody that can attack the rim like him coming off of picks, and he probably our best passer. Another thing Hawkins has to get time. We are too offensively challenged of a team for Hurley to constantly be having him riding the bench. Unleash him!

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t even feel like Cole can do it: I love him as a player, but his lack of athleticism makes him nothing special when we play teams with athleticism. Our best bet is to switch Jackson to PG. he doesn’t help us in the wing, and he is our most athletic player. We don’t got anybody that can attack the rim like him coming off of picks, and he probably our best passer. Another thing Hawkins has to get time. We are too offensively challenged of a team for Hurley to constantly be having him riding the bench. Unleash him!
Idk hawkins turns the ball over 50% of the time

Reaction Score
Difficult to have driving lanes or room for the bigs to operate when the lane is packed because there’s no real three point threats

Reaction Score
Difficult to have driving lanes or room for the bigs to operate when the lane is packed because there’s no real three point threats
You have it backwards. Three point shooters don’t set up penetration by guards. We need a penetrating guard to break down the defense and set up the three point shooters.

Cole isn’t that. He has guts and can score but whenever he drives he is looking to score not set up a three point shooter

Reaction Score
We got one he on the bench. It’s Hawkins! I know he a freshman. Still the reality is he the best shooter we got in this team coming off picks, and probably shooting wide open. Hurley better wake up.

Reaction Score
You have it backwards. Three point shooters don’t set up penetration by guards. We need a penetrating guard to break down the defense and set up the three point shooters.

Cole isn’t that. He has guts and can score but whenever he drives he is looking to score not set up a three point shooter
Exactly

Reaction Score
Idk hawkins turns the ball over 50% of the time
He don’t gotta dribble a lot. We should run the same plays for him we ran for Ben Gordon, Ray Allen, and all the other guards we had. You do t have to dribble to dominate. I would run him off screens ALL DAY. The most dangerous players can kill you without having the ball in they hand. He actually moves great without the ball in his hands, and coming off screens for shots.

Reaction Score
Well we do have Cole who can get in with his crafty dribble but that is it.

Reaction Score

What 3 pointer is out there that can score? LOL!

Reaction Score
Well we do have Cole who can get in with his crafty dribble but that is it.
Don’t matter if you can’t get by the defender, and can’t get off a clean shot. Crafty does nothing for you when the guy defending you is just more athletic than you. That’s why when we play teams with good athletes, he struggles.

Reaction Score
What 3 pointer is out there that can score? LOL!
That’s my point, Cole penetration is nonexistent. He and Hawkins should be in the wings, and we should play Jackson at point. I would send Whaley to the bench. Let him back up Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Don’t matter if you can’t get by the defender, and can’t get off a clean shot. Crafty does nothing for you when the guy defending you is just more athletic than you. That’s why when we play teams with good athletes, he struggles.
He does get by his man but normally there is a bigger defender at the rim. He does like others said need to learn to pass the ball in that situation.

Reaction Score
That’s my point, Cole penetration is nonexistent. He and Hawkins should be in the wings, and we should play Jackson at point. I would send Whaley to the bench. Let him back up Sanogo.
AJ is not a PG. Who are you fooling with that nonsense. His dribble isn't tight enough and people will just sag off him an let him put up that ugly floater from 10 feet out. It makes you wonder who will play PG next year if Cole doesn't come back. I'm still perplexed how Diggins can't get minutes.

Reaction Score
He does get by his man but normally there is a bigger defender at the rim. He does like others said need to learn to pass the ball in that situation.
Show me 5 plays from this season where Cole blows by his man, and gets a clean layup at the rim. He almost never gets to the rim and gets a uncontested shot. Cole is no smaller than Kemba, and Shabazz. Did they not live at the rim???

Reaction Score
AJ is not a PG. Who are you fooling with that nonsense. His dribble isn't tight enough and people will just sag off him an let him put up that ugly floater from 10 feet out.
Who on this roster passes better than him, and can set up his teammates for scooting opportunities?

Reaction Score
AJ is not a PG. Who are you fooling with that nonsense. His dribble isn't tight enough and people will just sag off him an let him put up that ugly floater from 10 feet out. It makes you wonder who will play PG next year if Cole doesn't come back. I'm still perplexed how Diggins can't get minutes.
We don’t need him shooting 3’s!!! We need him coming of them picks that Cole keeps getting and still can’t turn the corner. I agree with you though, he has to be be way more aggressive. Jackson playing on the wing serves us no purpose AT ALL.

Reaction Score
Who on this roster passes better than him, and can set up his teammates for scooting opportunities?
THe problem is he can't play PG as his talent level isn't good enough. Defense will just sag off him as he has no offensive game and his dribble is not tight enough. Don't let a few highlight reel passes fool you. He is not a point guard who can start the offense and then also keep teams honest by scoring. He has no jump shot or use of either hand on layups.

Reaction Score
We don’t need him shooting 3’s!!! We need him coming of them picks that Cole keeps getting and still can’t turn the corner. I agree with you though, he has to be be way more aggressive. Jackson playing on the wing serves us no purpose AT ALL.
Jackson is what he is. A very limited offensive player who if not playing great D and rebound isn't giving you much. I rather see Hawkins in there and developing his game. I don't mind see Jackson flash accross the middle of the zone and make a nice pass but he has to develop some resemblance of a mid range jump shot to keep teams honest.

Reaction Score
Jackson is what he is. A very limited offensive player who if not playing great D and rebound isn't giving you much. I rather see Hawkins in there and developing his game. I don't mind see Jackson flash accross the middle of the zone and make a nice pass but he has to develop some resemblance of a mid range jump shot to keep teams honest.
Jackson often does drive the baseline but doesn't look for a quick stop, fake and layup. He is always looking to pass. Why???

Reaction Score
My biggest gripe about him. It makes his coaching appear worse than it is.

Reaction Score
He is limited, but attacking the rim is easy to him. I agree with you, for some reason he looks to pass the ball WAY to much.

Reaction Score
I c
THe problem is he can't play PG as his talent level isn't good enough. Defense will just sag off him as he has no offensive game and his dribble is not tight enough. Don't let a few highlight reel passes fool you. He is not a point guard who can start the offense and then also keep teams honest by scoring. He has no jump shot or use of either hand on layups.
I cant agree with you at all on that. He he can most definitely put the ball in the basket above or right at the rim. Talent wise, he the most talented player we have lol. He just ain’t out it together yet, I’m not saying he gotta do difficult stuff. He just gotta come hard off them screens and attack the basket. It can draw the defense in, and we can get them open corner 3’s and stuff. Cole comes off of picks and backs the ball right back out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom