LaChina asks DT3: Who is the most underrated Husky of all time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

LaChina asks DT3: Who is the most underrated Husky of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's Tina's partial list of awards:
  • 2006 USA Today National Player of the Year[1]
  • 2006 McDonald's National Player of the Year[1]
  • 2006 Parade Magazine National Player of the Year[1]
  • 2006 Gatorade National Player of the Year[1]
  • 2006 WBCA National Player of the Year[1]
  • 2006 EA Sports National Player of the Year[1]
  • 2006 Miss New York Basketball[1]
  • 2009 USA Basketball Female Athlete of the Year[23]
  • 2010 All-BIG EAST First Team (unanimous)[30]
  • 2010 Big East Player of the Year[9]
  • 2010 AP All-America First Team[31]
  • 2010 U.S. Basketball Writers Association's Player of the Year.[32]
  • 2010 State Farm Coaches' All-America Team[33]
  • 2010 #1 selection in 2010 WNBA draft[11]
  • 2010 John R. Wooden Award winner[34]
  • 2010 WNBA Rookie of the Year[12]
  • 2010 All-WNBA Second Team[35]
  • 2012 WNBA MVP[16]
She in the Huskies of Honor (obviously but just to be clear).

She's been All-WNBA 1st or 2nd team for each of her six seasons. She's on the Olympic team for a second time.

But she's under-rated.

Not only that, she's the most under-rated Husky of all time.

That is hilarious. :)
I'm glad you enjoy the suggestion. She earned all those accolades and yet she still didn't make the top twenty. I think ridiculous is the word. The question was not who received the least accolades.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The original question had nothing to do the WNBA Top 20. You brought that into it. Tina was not underrated at UConn, nor in the WNBA. She just didn't make one list of the top 20 players of all time.

But since you started it... who would you take off that list for Tina? Better not say Parker ;)

Reaction Score
The original question had nothing to do the WNBA Top 20. You brought that into it. Tina was not underrated at UConn, nor in the WNBA. She just didn't make one list of the top 20 players of all time.

But since you started it... who would you take off that list for Tina? Better not say Parker ;)
I think Tina is underrated in the W and overall as evidenced by her not making the top 20, and that shows she is hugely underrated in that league and, as I said, LaChina didn't limit the answer to just their college days.

But as regards who I would take off. I will admit that I would say Parker, but honestly she would be the last one I would take off. Only Maya and Diana would I put ahead of Tina. I don't think Parker is as much of a force at both ends of the court. In fact, this year, Tina is outperforming Candace in both points and rebounds and is tied with her in assists. Which is not to say that I don't have the utmost respect for Candace Parker. I think it was a shame that she was left off the Olympic team. I still can't get my head around that.

But my reasoning in regards to the other players is that the WNBA is currently much better than it used to be. The players are just better. I've watched avidly since the beginning and that's what my eyes tell me. And in the six and a half years since Tina has entered the league she has been one of the top performers at both ends of the court. She has a more complete game than anyone. She is the most consistent. If I was having a pickup game of W players, I would probably pick her first. She is tough as nails in the paint, which is probably more important than any other aspect of the game. She's a terror on the glass and has the best post moves.

Yet people don't really think of her in the same way as a Candace, Maya, or Dianna. That is why I say she is underrated. And when people make up a list that says that Teresa Weatherspoon, Ticha Penicheiro, Deanna Nolan, Cappie Pondexter, etc. have been greater WNBA players than her, that is when I say she is grossly underrated.

Thanks for asking. ;)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I'm glad you enjoy the suggestion. She earned all those accolades and yet she still didn't make the top twenty. I think ridiculous is the word. The question was not who received the least accolades.

So, because there are 9 active players considered better than her all-time, she's underrated, and not just underrated, but the most underrated Husky of all time? Despite winning numerous awards that depend on people voting? And despite people selecting her for the Olympic team? For a second time?

Why are you giving this one panel so much power? Why does that one, single thing matter that much? That's the part that I don't get. It's an award that doesn't matter and people will forget about by next week unlike being on the Olympic team.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think Tina is underrated in the W and overall as evidenced by her not making the top 20, and that shows she is hugely underrated in that league and, as I said, LaChina didn't limit the answer to just their college days.

But as regards who I would take off. I will admit that I would say Parker, but honestly she would be the last one I would take off. Only Maya and Diana would I put ahead of Tina. I don't think Parker is as much of a force at both ends of the court. In fact, this year, Tina is outperforming Candace in both points and rebounds and is tied with her in assists. Which is not to say that I don't have the utmost respect for Candace Parker. I think it was a shame that she was left off the Olympic team. I still can't get my head around that.

But my reasoning in regards to the other players is that the WNBA is currently much better than it used to be. The players are just better. I've watched avidly since the beginning and that's what my eyes tell me. And in the six and a half years since Tina has entered the league she has been one of the top performers at both ends of the court. She has a more complete game than anyone. She is the most consistent. If I was having a pickup game of W players, I would probably pick her first. She is tough as nails in the paint, which is probably more important than any other aspect of the game. She's a terror on the glass and has the best post moves.

Yet people don't really think of her in the same way as a Candace, Maya, or Dianna. That is why I say she is underrated. And when people make up a list that says that Teresa Weatherspoon, Ticha Penicheiro, Deanna Nolan, Cappie Pondexter, etc. have been greater WNBA players than her, that is when I say she is grossly underrated.

Thanks for asking. ;)

I understand that the quality is now better, but those players helped make the league what it is today. So they absolutely deserve to be there. And I guess I don't understand why you are fixated on this one list when Tina has been consistently rewarded for her level of play - both with awards, making Olympic teams, etc. She's not underrated at all. She's very highly rated.

Reaction Score
I understand that the quality is now better, but those players helped make the league what it is today. So they absolutely deserve to be there. And I guess I don't understand why you are fixated on this one list when Tina has been consistently rewarded for her level of play - both with awards, making Olympic teams, etc. She's not underrated at all. She's very highly rated.
OK. You are entitled to your opinion. To me, saying that because they made the league what it is today is a different way of measuring greatness than I would use, but OK. That's one way of looking at it. I'm not fixated on the list, but you asked me who I would leave off, so I explained myself. But if someone is really the third or fourth best active player and she is considered even by some to be the tenth best, as the list would indicate, she is by definition underrated at least by those people who don't fully appreciate her greatness. I mean, that's what the word means. One can argue she is not the third or fourth best active player or that she is not as underrated as some other players, but she is by definition underrated if she is indeed greater than tenth best active player. I think that makes it pretty clear.

Reaction Score
So, because there are 9 active players considered better than her all-time, she's underrated, and not just underrated, but the most underrated Husky of all time? Despite winning numerous awards that depend on people voting? And despite people selecting her for the Olympic team? For a second time?

Why are you giving this one panel so much power? Why does that one, single thing matter that much? That's the part that I don't get. It's an award that doesn't matter and people will forget about by next week unlike being on the Olympic team.
Well, yes, because this panel said there are 9 active players that are better than Tina Charles that does make her underrated. Do you really think that is true? I think she's probably third or fourth best right now at worst. Although, I think the case could be made right now that she is the best in the league, being first in points and rebounds, sixth in assists.

And I don't give any power to this panel except that they can accurately assess the careers of players or not. If they underrate her, they underrate her. In order to determine whether or not she more underrated than other UConn players, one would have to examine each player as a case in itself and compare. I personally think Heather Buck was underrated. She had a great game against Britney Griner one time and her field goal percentage was really good toward the end of her career. She got a lot of rebounds for the amount of time she was in the game. And the team usually played pretty well during the minutes she received. But, I don't think just because she didn't receive many accolades or make the Olympic team that she was more underrated than Tina. I think you can argue against all other candidates in a similar fashion. Tiffany is underrated perhaps. But what does that mean? Do people really think she should be on the Olympic team or something?
Kiah is great, but is she a most valuable player candidate? So how are they being underrated? I've explained why I believe Tina is vastly underrated. On what basis do you believe that a player should be considered underrated?

I hope you realize that I don't take any of this very seriously. I got an English degree from UConn and I like to write about things. Please don't take anything I say with hard feelings.:)

Reaction Score
My choice would he Charde Houston because she never got the credit she deserved. In spite of the fact that Geno obviously was on her all of the time, she accomplished a lot including being the Big East Most Outstanding Player in the tournament in her senior year and performed admirably in her WNBA years.

Wally East

Reaction Score
I hope you realize that I don't take any of this very seriously. I got an English degree from UConn and I like to write about things. Please don't take anything I say with hard feelings.:)

Oooooh. I get it now. :rolleyes:

When a player is good but doesn't receive any recognition, she's underrated. If Tina weren't on the Olympic team, weren't All-WNBA every season, or hadn't won an MVP award, then I'd say she was underrated. Just because she didn't get one thing that's very subjective and includes non-playing factors, too, no, I wouldn't say she's underrated.

Reaction Score
Oooooh. I get it now. :rolleyes:

When a player is good but doesn't receive any recognition, she's underrated. If Tina weren't on the Olympic team, weren't All-WNBA every season, or hadn't won an MVP award, then I'd say she was underrated. Just because she didn't get one thing that's very subjective and includes non-playing factors, too, no, I wouldn't say she's underrated.
OK, by your definition you are entirely right. I think I have to blame my degree in English from UConn. I tend to use the dictionary definition. My bad. But was there really any UConn player who didn't receive any recognition?:rolleyes:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The "nine active players" thing is misleading. Yes, Tina is better than Sue right this second, but does that mean Sue isn't one of the best 20 of all time, just because her career is coming to an end? No. If Tina wins a few championships she will bump some people off that list if the do it again in ten years.

Underrated means to me that they didn't get the awards or accolades that other teammates got. Kelly Faris, for example. Kiah Stokes. Even Morgan Tuck, to a certain extent. Or that people underestimated their talent coming into the league - Tiffany Hayes.

Reaction Score
The "nine active players" thing is misleading. Yes, Tina is better than Sue right this second, but does that mean Sue isn't one of the best 20 of all time, just because her career is coming to an end? No. If Tina wins a few championships she will bump some people off that list if the do it again in ten years.

Underrated means to me that they didn't get the awards or accolades that other teammates got. Kelly Faris, for example. Kiah Stokes. Even Morgan Tuck, to a certain extent. Or that people underestimated their talent coming into the league - Tiffany Hayes.
OK, by your definition you are entirely right. I think I have to blame my degree in English from UConn. I tend to use the dictionary definition. My bad. :D;)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
un·der·rate
ˌəndə(r)ˈrāt/
verb
past tense: underrated; past participle: underrated
  1. underestimate the extent, value, or importance of (someone or something).
So because Tina didn't make one list, she is the most underestimated Husky of all time?

No. Sorry.

Reaction Score
My choice would he Charde Houston because she never got the credit she deserved. In spite of the fact that Geno obviously was on her all of the time, she accomplished a lot including being the Big East Most Outstanding Player in the tournament in her senior year and performed admirably in her WNBA years.
Ugh, nobody personifies the lean years better than CH. I would give her the most under achiever award.

Reaction Score
Darn Eric, one more posting with which to like Eric for( or for which to like Eric).
Can't argue with your picks.
My number one ever for being UNDER-RATED is Connecticuts (Derby)own Marie Conlon!!!
She like Kiah got the Geno high praise comments---Kiah--yea, that's what she does! (words to that effect and Maria--She not quick but makes up for it by being slow (again words similar to these)
Both made impacts on the teams they were on--both could have been standouts on teams other than UConn. Both were blue shirt players--Kiah could have worn a gold crown with that blue shirt.
You can sue me but--in the Final 4 game against ND in which DT put up 15 threes and missed all-I contend (not a bit of proof of this) that given the opportunity Maria could have made 5 or more.
Yea she is in my top 10 list of those kids on Uconn teams I care for.

Thanks Eric!!!

Any discussion about the most underrated Husky begins with Maria Conlon, IMO...She was on UConn teams that history has labeled as a mediocre supporting cast surrounding an all time great. But her contributions to those championship teams was anything but mediocre. She had a skill set that suggested she had no business playing at that level of college bball and at a program like UConn no less. BUT she brought smarts and toughness to the floor, she was unflappable, and she hit EVERY big shot she was asked to hit... Most underrated Husky: Maria "Ms. Big Shot" Conlon

Reaction Score
IMO Caroline Doty is definately in this category because of her toughness and leadership skills. she helped the 2010 team win the title and if she played in Mayas last year her experience would have taken pressure of Bria.I think they win it all.If she never got hurt during her career IMO she could have been an AA but getting hurt all those times just stopped her progression too reach that level.

Reaction Score
IMO Caroline Doty is definately in this category because of her toughness and leadership skills. she helped the 2010 team win the title and if she played in Mayas last year her experience would have taken pressure of Bria.I think they win it all.If she never got hurt during her career IMO she could have been an AA but getting hurt all those times just stopped her progression too reach that level.

When I think of Doty underrated doesn't come to mind, a lot was expected from her and I'm not sure she delivered to that expectation.

Wally East

Reaction Score
un·der·rate
ˌəndə(r)ˈrāt/
verb
past tense: underrated; past participle: underrated
  1. underestimate the extent, value, or importance of (someone or something).
So because Tina didn't make one list, she is the most underestimated Husky of all time?

No. Sorry.

Oh my gosh! This dictionary definition is also the definition that *I* use, too! What a coincidence!

Reaction Score
Then the argument is that she is underrated as a WNBA player, not as a UConn player. I love Tina, and I think in the next few years she'll be in the conversation, but I don't see anyone on that list that you could replace with her. Not yet, anyway.
But she was definitely loved and appreciated as a Husky. She didn't really blossom until her Junior year, which might have something to do with it. Stewie, Maya, Diana, etc were all amazing as freshmen.

I'm a huge Tina Charles fan and I think she has been undervalued both at UConn and in the WNBA, I think once she wins a championship at the pro level everything will change for her. If she doesn't soon she will quickly become the Patrick Ewing of the women's game.
As for the notion that Tina didn't have good freshman/soph years, not true. She wasn't playing to Geno's lofty standard but they were solid seasons, remember Stewart was having an awful freshman season until tournament time.

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I'm a huge Tina Charles fan and I think she has been undervalued both at UConn and in the WNBA, I think once she wins a championship at the pro level everything will change for her. If she doesn't soon she will quickly become the Patrick Ewing of the women's game.
As for the notion that Tina didn't have good freshman/soph years, not true. She wasn't playing to Geno's lofty standard but they were solid seasons, remember Stewart was having an awful freshman season until tournament time.
Not exactly. Stewart started the season really well, was the leading scorer at UConn ever as a freshman through her first 10 games (that's confusing - she had more points as a frosh, than Maya, Diana, etc did as freshmen) and then had a small slump in the middle of the season. I wouldn't classify her season as "awful" by any stretch of the imagination.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The one thing I will say is that Tina is sometimes underappreciated on the BY...she never seems to be in the conversation for best ever at UConn, that's always Maya, Dee and Stewie. Part of that is her playing with Maya at the same time, part of it is that she's a post and didn't have the versatility to her game that the other three had.

But as far as undervalued...she was NPOY! And a two time All American!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The one thing I will say is that Tina is sometimes underappreciated on the BY...she never seems to be in the conversation for best ever at UConn, that's always Maya, Dee and Stewie. Part of that is her playing with Maya at the same time, part of it is that she's a post and didn't have the versatility to her game that the other three had.

I think Tina is clearly a top 5 player in the world right now. She left UConn as the leading scorer and rebounder. And still she's not in the top 3. Tough standards! One can easily make a case that she is the #4 UConn player of all time. She won her last 78 games. Hell, she beat out the great Maya Moore for several NPOY awards. What more can one ask?!

Reaction Score

Wow! I think we've gotten a little closer. :)

Reaction Score
I'm a huge Tina Charles fan too, if there was any doubt at this point. It's too bad Epiphany Prince has been injured or I think the Liberty would be doing better, although they're not doing too bad as it is. The Patrick Ewing comparison is frighteningly apt. Ooh, and she's in NY too.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members