KY Suspends Aziza Bishop for Tournament Game | The Boneyard

KY Suspends Aziza Bishop for Tournament Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It shows commitment to how he runs his program. Hats off to Matthew Mitchell for upholding his standard and holding his team accountable.

With that said, Kentucky should be just fine. Alyssa Rice and Alexis Jennings are more skilled post players although freshman.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We know that ain't about to happen. Walz said that "she got caught up in the emotion of the game". Hmmmm
Seriously??? Is that what he said? So thug play is "just getting caught up in the game"? UGH...

Reaction Score
I agree that Moore should have lost at least one game, but maybe what walz knows of her spirit and background just doesn't warrant punishment maybe it really isn't the kind of person she is. Would she really just do that for no reason.....maybe there was something we didn't see. If she did it for no reason that's just not cool.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I agree that Moore should have lost at least one game, but maybe what walz knows of her spirit and background just doesn't warrant punishment maybe it really isn't the kind of person she is. Would she really just do that for no reason.....maybe there was something we didn't see. If she did it for no reason that's just not cool.

It's acceptable if you can state a reason?

Reaction Score
I highly doubt that a coach would suspend there player for a flagrant foul in the NCAA tournaments. The men had the same situation and they said the NCAA does not suspend a player the following game after being thrown out of a game. I think that Bishop violated team rules but I'm betting that Mitchell wishes he didn't do it now. I really thought they would win easily and I think he did too.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Now if only Walz could follow suit for the more egregious shoulder slam by Moore...
We know that ain't about to happen. Walz said that "she got caught up in the emotion of the game". Hmmmm
Geez, what is your guys big hang up with this? She got a Flagrant 1, BYU got the Tech FT's and you move on. It's not like UCONN player haven't done as bad or worse.

And on top of that no complaints about the BYU player who tried to throw the elbow.

A little consistency people.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't recall a UConn player doing anything like that. That wasn't a basketball play. It wasn't a rough screen, or a hard foul on a layup...it was just kind of out of nowhere.

I could be wrong, but I can't remember anything like that in the past five years at least.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't recall a UConn player doing anything like that. That wasn't a basketball play. It wasn't a rough screen, or a hard foul on a layup...it was just kind of out of nowhere.

I could be wrong, but I can't remember anything like that in the past five years at least.
No, you gotta go back to Shea. She laid a player out (they deserved it) with a forearm shiver. She got T-ed up. Geno didn't sit her for a game.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
More than a little sad to see the Benched KY player cry at the end never knowing if she could have made a difference, but hopefully, she'll learn from this. Good call from the Coach.

Reaction Score
It's acceptable if you can state a reason?

Yes it would be acceptable. If it was a retaliation then maybe one can excuse a 18 or 19 year olds's poor judgement to seek revenge . If it was done just because , then I think it speaks to her character.

Reaction Score

I recall Ann Strother (of all people) knocking a Dukie to the floor. I can't
recall whether it was a punch, forearm whack, or elbow.

But she definitely meant to do it.

Reaction Score
I saw that shoulder the LVille player threw..... and does not surprise me that Walz looked the other way..... Not because it wasn't bad..... just because LVille has run a program like this for a long time..... very rough inside.... especially when they are outmatched..... witness the upset over Baylor couple of years back...... it is to be expected from this program

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geez, what is your guys big hang up with this? She got a Flagrant 1, BYU got the Tech FT's and you move on. It's not like UCONN player haven't done as bad or worse.

And on top of that no complaints about the BYU player who tried to throw the elbow.

A little consistency people.
Consistency in what sense? I've been on board since day one for more than just a "flagrant T" for her. So yeah I've been consistent. You apparently feel differently, which is fine. Clearly Jeff is taking no further action, and neither is the NCAA. Doesn't mean it's the "right" decision, at least in my opinion. And I'd be calling for the same thing if a UCONN player did that.

My problem with the play goes further than that simple example. Walz has a history of having his kids play overly physical against teams who they don't match up with talent wise. Can you imagine the reaction if Hammond did the exact same thing to Tuck in a game?

For the record, I hate teams that play that way. When we faced L'ville in the BET a few years back, I was appalled at the way Stef was literally punched, shoved, and manhandled by more than one team we faced, L'ville being one of them. It made me realize it's way worse in person than it is on TV which is why i was so angry about it.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score

Ah, yes, Annie-mal. :)
Was looking for some old video of it, but no luck.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Yep, it was a forearm whack. Annie got the kid with enough force to have the Duke player slide a few feet on the floor. The announcers cheered for her, said they were sure Geno was happy with her aggressiveness.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
A couple of quick points -

1 - Louisville is very physical. So is Rutgers. So are some other teams. This wasn't that.
2 - OTH - there was no logical reason for the player to do that - with a 30 point win, I don't think they were trying to send a message to the other team.
3 - So, I conclude - absent other evidence - it was a stupid play by a player who wasn't thinking straight at that moment. As an old boss used to say "it seemed like a good idea at the time". Like Prince, when she fouled a Stanford player for no reason with less than a second left in the game, at the opposite end of the court, to choose a "non-violent" example. Or Usha Gillmore, back in the day, who "put up her dukes" to fight an Iowa State player (again, no physical contact resulted - she didn't swing at her, just put up fists like a boxer - although it was certainly a "T"). It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom