KY Suspends Aziza Bishop for Tournament Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KY Suspends Aziza Bishop for Tournament Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If this was the Kentucky players first violation during her 4 years at UK then it was too harsh of a sentence. She should have been suspended for the first half only. If it was more than a curfew,(ex under the influence, etc.) or she had previous problems, than the penalty fits.
UCLA coach suspended 5 players(for the first half) of a game vs rival USC this season for missing a curfew on a weekend night.
Just my two cents.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
How soon the physicality of the old Big East fades in memory - Rutgers, Louisville, Georgetown, Syracuse, ND (it wasn't UCONN that gave Becca "Bruiser" Bruszewski her nickname).

I'm sure others can point to different BE teams and players that were noted for their Rugby skills.

Again, the style of play is more or less controlled by what the refs do and don't call.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I saw that shoulder the LVille player threw..... and does not surprise me that Walz looked the other way..... Not because it wasn't bad..... just because LVille has run a program like this for a long time..... very rough inside.... especially when they are outmatched..... witness the upset over Baylor couple of years back. it is to be expected from this program
And we had some games a few yrs back, one away game especially that looked like a rugby match and could have easily gotten out of control. We won by about 10.

Reaction Score
I respect the action the coach took however you gotta think of the other players. Was it fair to them that she was benched and now they lost the game? Would she have contributed or impacted the game for their benefit and get the win. Maybe make the girl run sprints till she pukes after you secure the sweet 16 spot..... her team mates must be pissed!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly Alabama suspended two starters on their football team for the 'national championship game' about 10 years ago for breaking team rules (they won anyway), so this isn't a unique situation.
Not sure the media have the whole story (and they probably shouldn't - should stay 'in-house') but I respect Mitchell for making the call.
I also remember Lorin Dixon I think was left home for the first weekend of the NCAAs one year because of a scholastic issue - she wasn't a starter at the time, but the same kind of message being sent - follow the rules, or don't expect to play.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If Kentcuky was a #1 seed or had a legit chance to win the Region I'm not sure Mitchell suspends Bishop.

But now, instead of a win that might be quickly forgotten after a subsequent loss, there'll be a reminder for every Kentucky player for many years.

"Coach wouldn't bench me for breaking a team rule, would he?" "Are you kidding? He benched Bishop for an NCAA game in 2015 when she missed curfew!"

Reaction Score
If Kentcuky was a #1 seed or had a legit chance to win the Region I'm not sure Mitchell suspends Bishop.

But now, instead of a win that might be quickly forgotten after a subsequent loss, there'll be a reminder for every Kentucky player for many years.

"Coach wouldn't bench me for breaking a team rule, would he?" "Are you kidding? He benched Bishop for an NCAA game in 2015 when she missed curfew!"
I wonder if it cost him $50K....?

Reaction Score
I respect the action the coach took however you gotta think of the other players. Was it fair to them that she was benched and now they lost the game? Would she have contributed or impacted the game for their benefit and get the win. Maybe make the girl run sprints till she pukes after you secure the sweet 16 spot..... her team mates must be pissed!
Having all players, both those feeling the impact and those causing the impact, understand the effect on the team is part of team building. Suspending negative consequences is the way parents raise brats...or worse.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Consistency in what sense? I've been on board since day one for more than just a "flagrant T" for her. So yeah I've been consistent. You apparently feel differently, which is fine. Clearly Jeff is taking no further action, and neither is the NCAA. Doesn't mean it's the "right" decision, at least in my opinion.
Consistency on complaining about the BYU player who tried to throw the elbow. Why aren't you calling for a Flagrant 2 on her????

And I'd be calling for the same thing if a UCONN player did that.
Did you when Shea did it?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If this was the Kentucky players first violation during her 4 years at UK then it was too harsh of a sentence. She should have been suspended for the first half only. If it was more than a curfew,(ex under the influence, etc.) or she had previous problems, than the penalty fits.
Well that's up to the coach. And he may have already laid out the consequences for breaking the team rules. More than likely she new the consequences of breaking curfew.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I respect the action the coach took however you gotta think of the other players. Was it fair to them that she was benched and now they lost the game?
Was it fair to them that they followed the rules and she didn't?

her team mates must be pissed!
They may well be. And probably should be pissed....at her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Consistency on complaining about the BYU player who tried to throw the elbow. Why aren't you calling for a Flagrant 2 on her????

Did you when Shea did it?
I didn't watch the game and did not see the public outcry at whatever the BYU player did. As for Shea, that was 17 years ago and I was not on the BY, but I did take out an ad in the Courant expressing my outrage. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game and did not see the public outcry at whatever the BYU player did.
Oh, so you didn't watch the game or know what went on in the game. I see, you just thought you'd come on here and comment on something you really don't know anything about. Ok, got it. Now I can see why you're not consistent.

As for Shea, that was 17 years ago and I was not on the BY, but I did take out an ad in the Courant expressing my outrage. :rolleyes:
giphy.gif

Full page? Or did you skimp out and only do a half page?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Oh, so you didn't watch the game or know what went on in the game. I see, you just thought you'd come on here and comment on something you really don't know anything about. Ok, got it. Now I can see why you're not consistent.
Yep that's it. :rolleyes: I must have missed your posts regarding the outrage of the BYU player. So nice of you to be so judgmental. BTW, if the BYU player did anything near as egregious as what Moore did, then I'd say the same thing. since I did not see any kind of outrage or videos of her supposedly horrifying display of unsportsmanlike conduct, I assumed it did not rise to what Moore did with her shoulder slam. But please enlighten us.

My comments have zero to do with inconsistency. How about coming off your high horse and showing us exactly what the other player did? Or do you prefer to just throw barbs?

Reaction Score
I played college a sport at the varsity level and my coach would start each season standing in front of a chalkboard with the word PROGRAM written in six inch high letters. Beneath that was the word TEAM in three inch high letters. below that was the word Player in one inch high letters, and below that was some scribbling. The coach then said, "If there are any questions during the season on how I choose to make decisions remember this; program comes first, team second, player third," and then pointing at the bottom line said, "and statistics will never enter into it."

I think that it is unfortunate that a second seed has been eliminated while a starter was prohibited from playing, but Kentucky did what was right for the program and it's not often that we see a coach display that kind of courage.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yep that's it. :rolleyes: I must have missed your posts regarding the outrage of the BYU player.
Yea, you see that's kind of the point. There hasn't been any outrage for the BYU player. Only for the Louisville player. There's the inconsistency.

BTW, if the BYU player did anything near as egregious as what Moore did, then I'd say the same thing. since I did not see any kind of outrage or videos of her supposedly horrifying display of unsportsmanlike conduct, I assumed it did not rise to what Moore did with her shoulder slam.
It did, at least in intent. She didn't connect very well though.

But please enlighten us.
mmmm, that's what I've been doing here. Hello, McFly?

My comments have zero to do with inconsistency.
No, they pretty much have everything to do with inconsistency.

How about coming off your high horse and showing us exactly what the other player did?
Well I think you will have had to watch the game. Don't think there is anything out there on it. They did show it numerous times during the game though, if you had been watching it. In slo-mo a couple times. I suppose you could go back and watch the game on ESPN3. If it's still there.

As I said, I can now understand your inconsistency, having not actually watched the game, you don't know what you're talking about.

Or do you prefer to just throw barbs?
Actually, it's called the truth, not barbs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I played college a sport at the varsity level and my coach would start each season standing in front of a chalkboard with the word PROGRAM written in six inch high letters. Beneath that was the word TEAM in three inch high letters. below that was the word Player in one inch high letters, and below that was some scribbling. The coach then said, "If there are any questions during the season on how I choose to make decisions remember this; program comes first, team second, player third," and then pointing at the bottom line said, "and statistics will never enter into it."
Actually, I like that. I might steal that.

Reaction Score

I think that it is unfortunate that a second seed has been eliminated while a starter was prohibited from playing, but Kentucky did what was right for the program and it's not often that we see a coach display that kind of courage.
Or be that dumb...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Yea, you see that's kind of the point. There hasn't been any outrage for the BYU player. Only for the Louisville player. There's the inconsistency. It did, at least in intent. She didn't connect very well though.mmmm, that's what I've been doing here. Hello, McFly? No, they pretty much have everything to do with inconsistency. Well I think you will have had to watch the game. Don't think there is anything out there on it. They did show it numerous times during the game though, if you had been watching it. In slo-mo a couple times. I suppose you could go back and watch the game on ESPN3. If it's still there. As I said, I can now understand your inconsistency, having not actually watched the game, you don't know what you're talking about. Actually, it's called the truth, not barbs.
Well you are 100% wrong but it's pointless to argue with someone like you. No inconsistency as I said about 5 times. Show us the egregious play by the BYU player and i'd say the same thing about her. But you failed to provide any proof. Sadly, typical of the type of stuff you posts, which apparently is your M.O. Not sure what you are even arguing about. I've been clear and consistent about everything I've said, yet you continue to twist and insult. Oh well. Lessons learned I guess!

Reaction Score
For the sake of clarity and brevity, I'm gonna need to run my future posts through you. You don't mind, do you?
Thanks! But you must not have been reading my other posts. I am about as long winded as they get. lol. This one was just a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom