Kwintin Williams... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kwintin Williams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
That would be a step up. That's how bad it is.

I try to take joy in the baby runs we make and then close my eyes and remember when we used to do that for 40 minutes.

I also recently fantasized about owning a F750 with a tow behind bbq rig and attending all the major sporting events giving away free bbq. I was very wealthy too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I made the mistake of listening to Joe D. for a minute on the way in. He says "Let's pump the brakes on Williams" After that he basically said Williams only played well in garbage time. So freakin what?

Reaction Score
““I found out something: ‘Jump’ is going to compete,” Ollie said. “I found out one thing. Through adversity, I told those guys, adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it, and through this adversity I found someone that’s going to compete. Jump did a great job, eight rebounds, and that’s what I want to see. He went after every rebound and he played to exhaustion.”

So next game he will play 3-4 minutes .

UConn Men's Notebook: Eric Cobb Still Working Way Back; Kwintin Williams Impresses

Beat me to it. Let's see if Ollie actually gives him more minutes. over/under - 13 minutes (half what he played last time, but double his season average).

@Marat nailed it.

4 minutes.

Adversity reveals character, and for all his talk of stairs and rats, Ollie has revealed his words are essentially hollow.

Would KW have made a difference? I don't know. But who wants to play for a coach who praises you in the media, then basically benches you the very next game?

Reaction Score
I missed the first 10 min of the second half. Did Kwintin play at all or were all his minutes during the end of the first half?

Reaction Score
Still wish he'd 'jump' more. If his feet leave the ground, he could suck up every board.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
The height/strength/size and high offensive rebounding ability remind me a bit of Ruslan Inyatkin, who was also good for a three now and then. Not exactly a high flyer, but I do recall an authoratitive dunk after a steal against CCSU in 1996.

C

Chief00

Still wish he'd 'jump' more. If his feet leave the ground, he could suck up every board.

I just re-read your post - funny what I love about his game is he works so hard at the horizontal game - - a true lost art. He bends his knees, uses his butt to hit a body - and frankly use his elbows to maintain the space he created. I do think he goes after the ball after that. OMG, Calhoun would absolutely love and reward that rather than benching him for the rest of the game - Dove did not like my post and I guess we all have our own individual breaking point - but that’s where KO finally 100% lost me. You can’t teach toughness and fundamentals and not reward them.

C

Chief00

Not that he doesn’t have his faults but it was interesting Kwintin seemed like the UConn play JT3 was most impressed with.

Reaction Score
The coaches see these players everyday in practice and apparently Williams didn't do enough to earn PT. It is as simple as that.
Yes, KO's judgment on talent and in game contribution potential has been dead-on.

Reaction Score
The height/strength/size and high offensive rebounding ability remind me a bit of Ruslan Inyatkin, who was also good for a three now and then. Not exactly a high flyer, but I do recall an authoratitive dunk after a steal against CCSU in 1996.

Inyatkin is a very good comparison. He had some talent but did not show the speed and quickness needed to compete at a high D-1 level. What Williams has show so far is a willingness to compete and the ability to box out. If he wants to play regularly he has to eventually learn to use his jumping ability effectively in a game. He seems to like jumping from a dead stop. He needs to learn to use it in a way that he jumps on the move over people and use his strength to finish at the basket. He also should be using it to block shots from the weak side on help defense. As I said before it may be that he has not yet adjusted to the speed of the game and instead of reacting to developments is instead thinking about what he needs to do. He is basketball wise equivalent to a very raw freshman. As such I am surprised he is getting as much time as he is. He certainly is not an answer for the team this year. If like most raw freshman he has the most improvement between his first year and his second, then maybe we see a true Div 1 player next year. If not then like Inyatkin he will most likely move on.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Inyatkin is a very good comparison. He had some talent but did not show the speed and quickness needed to compete at a high D-1 level. What Williams has show so far is a willingness to compete and the ability to box out. If he wants to play regularly he has to eventually learn to use his jumping ability effectively in a game. He seems to like jumping from a dead stop. He needs to learn to use it in a way that he jumps on the move over people and use his strength to finish at the basket. He also should be using it to block shots from the weak side on help defense. As I said before it may be that he has not yet adjusted to the speed of the game and instead of reacting to developments is instead thinking about what he needs to do. He is basketball wise equivalent to a very raw freshman. As such I am surprised he is getting as much time as he is. He certainly is not an answer for the team this year. If like most raw freshman he has the most improvement between his first year and his second, then maybe we see a true Div 1 player next year. If not then like Inyatkin he will most likely move on.

I don't see him as slow as other people. I've seen him move pretty quick up and down the court. What I see is a guy who doesn't yet know what he's doing, with his resulting lack of instincts manifesting themselves as looking slow of foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom