Kortney Dunbar ('14) commits to Tennessee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kortney Dunbar ('14) commits to Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is just not true. There is a big difference in the talent of players in the top 25 and players 50-100. The talent pool is just not big enough.

If Dunbar is one of the top ten shooters in the country, she would be ranked higher.
Dead on Doggy. If your goal is to be a top 5 team you have to focus on the top 25 and players ranked outside of the top 50 rarely make a significant contribution.

Of course maybe Tn needs to set its sights lower :)

Reaction Score
So Saniya Chong is just underrated because UConn got her. Tennessee gets someone outside the Top 50 and she is not going to make an impact and practically a useless recruit. You guys can be overconfident all you want about this National Championship, but don't whine when Meighan Simmons leads the Lady Vols past UConn in the NC game against UConn in Bridgestone aka Thompson Boling West.

Reaction Score
... but don't whine when Meighan Simmons leads the Lady Vols past UConn in the NC game against UConn in Bridgestone aka Thompson Boling West.

This is highly improbable as Meighan Simmons has had as many big games against elite opponents in her collegiate career as the LV's have Final Four appearances in the last five years...NONE!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dunbar reminds me of Bonnie Samuelson although not as tall and not as polished a player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So Saniya Chong is just underrated because UConn got her. Tennessee gets someone outside the Top 50 and she is not going to make an impact and practically a useless recruit. You guys can be overconfident all you want about this National Championship, but don't whine when Meighan Simmons leads the Lady Vols past UConn in the NC game against UConn in Bridgestone aka Thompson Boling West.

No, that is probably because she was named Parade POY for high school and chose not to play as much elite AAU where she would get maximum evaluation. There are concrete reasons for her underevaluations and and significant evidence of how good she was as a high school player.

It is, also, vastly more likely that Simmons shoots the Lady Vols to a loss in the round of 16 or 8 as it is that she manages to carry the Lady Vols anywhere near the FF. Too often she needs to be seated because she isn't getting it done and is disrupting the TN offense.

Reaction Score

We are as susceptible to irrational exuberance as Lady Vol fans. It's just that in the time period spanning the probable lifetime personal basketball memories of 2014 recruits, our effervescence has proved to be more based on reality than Tennessee's.

Regarding Simmons, we love her and are excited when she comes into the game. How often do you see a player pass when she should shoot and vise versa? How often do you see a player forget everything she ever learned about basketball if she happens to make her first shot in a game? As you, Ball State, and recently, chattanooga suggested, we will not whine should your scenario come true.

I'm trying to recall - what happened the last time the final four was held in Tennessee (1990 at Thompson Boling East)? I'll bet that one was fun to watch for Vol players and fans.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong was selected Parade player of the year, joining past winners and Uconn players Maya Moore and Tina Charles along with EDD. And many other stars. She was also selected the National HS Coaches player of the year. She was also selected for the WCBA all star game at the final four weekend and had a nice game.

So, yes, she was underrated.

And please stop overstating what has been said about Dunbar. It has nothing to do with her selecting Tennessee. It has everything to do being ranked 81. Well outside the top fifty. Players ranked in that range rarely contribute to a top 10 team.

And you were being such a nice guest. Did you expect Uconn fans to agree with you on everything?

Reaction Score
Tennessee has got plenty of players in 2014 who have the capability of being the stars. This class is about adding complement players, versatility and depth. We'll have Russell, Graves, and Harrison locking it down inside. Massengale and Carter will be the primary guards, and Burdick is the go-to on the wing. Then you add players like Middleton who can play the 1, 2, or even 3 in a small lineup, and Dunbar, who can play the 3, a stretch four, and possibly the 2 pending her ballhandling as role players who could step up and be developed into stars by their Junior or Senior years. When you have such a strong post presence, the goal is to add versatile shooters to stretch the floor and draw defenders out. That is the need for this class, and it is smartly being filled. Every recruit doesn't have to be Top 5 to build a successful team, and we have our fair share of Top 10 talent already. As to why Dunbar is ranked so low. Easy, she is one dimensional. She is a shooter. She has good size, but doesn't play a lot inside or use her size a lot. However, I firmly believe Dean Lockwood is one of, if not the premier post coach in the country and she will develop more facets to her game in college. This is definitely the possibility for a diamond in the rough player. Whether she reaches her full potential or not, nobody can judge. But this class is already an upgrade to what we have. We trade 1 Top 25 SG for 1 Top 25 CG and 1 Top 100 SF. That is a net gain in terms of sheer talent as well as roster depth and versatility. Not to mention that we are still in the mix for several more top talents in the country. So let's not sell this class down the river because Holly has chosen to pick shooters over maybe athleticism and playmaking to fill a specific need.

Upgrade in talent? OK But last year Tenn beat a 15 seed (Oral Roberts), a 10 seed (Creighton) & a 6 seed (Okl.) in the Tourney. The 1, 3 & 4 seeds were eliminated by others. Tenn had a red carpet to the FF spread out in front of them and still couldn't get there, beaten by the 5 seed. So an improvement may not be enough.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Upgrade in talent? OK But last year Tenn beat a 15 seed (Oral Roberts), a 10 seed (Creighton) & a 6 seed (Okl.) in the Tourney. The 1, 3 & 4 seeds were eliminated by others. Tenn had a red carpet to the FF spread out in front of them and still couldn't get there, beaten by the 5 seed. So an improvement may not be enough.
To echo what Alydar said vis-a-vis the "upgrade in talent comment", that's like saying Cassie Kerns was an upgrade over senior Barb Turner because Kerns was taller, or that Lauren Engeln was an upgrade over Lorin Dixon because Lauren was bigger and a better shooter. Kerns rarely got off the bench and Engeln saw the talent of players she was up against for PT and opted for a school where she'd have a shot at more PT. Both are fantastic kids and were terrific teammates, but from a purely "talent" perspective, they were unable to contribute at the highest level.

I also find the optimism of the LV fans on their board of how great Middleton will be since she "outplayed almost every guard ahead of her in rankings all summer". Um ok. Clearly not an opinion shared by WCBA, McDonalds AA, or any of the plethora of professional scouts who have seen her play all summer. It's nothing like Chong, who was National High School Player of the Year by more than 1 publication.

Reaction Score

Yes and that awful 5 seed that beat TENNESSEE, also beat THE ALMIGHTY BAYLOR BEARS. And Baylor also beat Uconn. So please keep talking.... go sit down.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Yes and that awful 5 seed that beat TENNESSEE, also beat THE ALMIGHTY BAYLOR BEARS. And Baylor also beat Uconn. So please keep talking.... go sit down.

Tell ya what, Sparky: I will willingly bow to the impeccable logic of Louisville beat Baylor, and Baylor beat UConn, and Tennessee also lost to Louisville, so.. Tennessee must be as good as Baylor, I guess, and Baylor beat UConn, so Tennessee would've beaten UConn, I guess.. if you'll simply answer the following questions. Who won the National Championship in 2013?, and who has made it to more Final Fours in the past 6 years, and by how many?

Personally, I think that's a stronger argument for recent program quality than "A beat B, and A also beat C, and C beat D, so, B would beat D". You don't have to be an actuary's son to see the flaws in that logic.

Just guessing here - algebra not your strong subject?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You just played the stupidest game in sports.

Reaction Score
Tell ya what, Sparky: I will willingly bow to the impeccable logic of Louisville beat Baylor, and Baylor beat UConn, and Tennessee also lost to Louisville, so.. Tennessee must be as good as Baylor, I guess, and Baylor beat UConn, so Tennessee would've beaten UConn, I guess.. if you'll simply answer the following questions. Who won the National Championship in 2013?, and who has made it to more Final Fours in the past 6 years, and by how many?

Personally, I think that's a stronger argument for recent program quality than "A beat B, and A also beat C, and C beat D, so, B would beat D". You don't have to be an actuary's son to see the flaws in that logic.

Just guessing here - algebra not your strong subject?

Tennessee had an awesome year after everything that they have been dealing with. Elite eight and SEC regular season champs with 5 new players out of 11 total players on the roster. And 8 freshman and soph. Haters are going to hate no matter what because they are JEALOUS AND ENVIOUS of all the success that tennessee has had over the years.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Your foray into logical thinking veered off track. You went backwards from March and April to February. Let's move forward from your starting point.

Louisville > Tennessee by 8
UConn > Louisville by 33
∴ UConn > Tennessee by a lot

Questions?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
thank you, UCCat: I was going to go there myself, if the obvious flaw in the original logic thread remained too nebulous for jsc to grasp.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tennessee had an awesome year after everything that they have been dealing with. Elite eight and SEC regular season champs with 5 new players out of 11 total players on the roster. And 8 freshman and soph. Haters are going to hate no matter what because they are JEALOUS AND ENVIOUS of all the success that tennessee has had over the years.
Oh lordy. Another troll. Ok - I'll play along.

First, Take a poll on the Summitt and see how many fans were content or satisfied with their lovely elite 8 appearance last season. Once Baylor was upended, they predicted a NC appearance and hopeful victory over UCONN.

Second, your math is preposterous. 8 freshmen and a sophomore? You must be referring to East Paduka University because clearly you have nary a clue as to who played for Tennessee last year.

Sr; Williams and Spani (and they were the 2 best players on the entire team during the NCAA's and starters)
Jr; Simmons
So; Burdick, Massengale, Harrison
Fr; Jones, Graves, Moore (RS Carter)

Third, who's jealous? Not UCONN fans. Since 1995 we've won 8 NC's. Since 2002, we've won 6 - which is exactly 50% of the NC's in that time frame. In the same time frame Tennessee has won 2. And not including the 2 in Parker's years, hadn't won a NC since 1998. So think before you post such inane comments please...

Reaction Score
FACTS ARE FACTS SORRY IF YALL CANT HANDLE IT. YALL CAN TRY AND TWIST AND TURN WHAT I SAID INTO ALL TYPES OF WAYS AND DIRECTIONS ALL YOU WANT GO FOR IT.....

AND I SAID TENNESSEE HAD 8 FRESH. AND SOPH. TOTAL MEANING 4 FRESH + 4 SOPH= 8 FRESH AND SOPH.

Haters are going to hate till the day they die.

I congradulate uconn for winning the championship. Good for them im not ripping apart uconn and tearing them to shreads just stating facts that baylor sure has been beating uconns butts. just like they have been beating tennessee's butts too. Everybody really knows deep down that uconn was not the best team in 2013 that they just won by luck of the draw that baylor was the real #1 team.... JUST LIKE LOUISVILLE SAID WE HAVE NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO PLAY THE # 1 TEAM BEFORE MEANING BAYLOR... saying forget about uconn and notre dame they are not the real #1's.... BAYLOR IS.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
FACTS ARE FACTS SORRY IF YALL CANT HANDLE IT. YALL CAN TRY AND TWIST AND TURN WHAT I SAID INTO ALL TYPES OF WAYS AND DIRECTIONS ALL YOU WANT GO FOR IT.....

AND I SAID TENNESSEE HAD 8 FRESH. AND SOPH. TOTAL MEANING 4 FRESH + 4 SOPH= 8 FRESH AND SOPH.

Haters are going to hate till the day they die.

I congradulate uconn for winning the championship. Good for them im not ripping apart uconn and tearing them to shreads just stating facts that baylor sure has been beating uconns butts. just like they have been beating tennessee's butts too. Everybody really knows deep down that uconn was not the best team in 2013 that they just won by luck of the draw that baylor was the real #1 team.... JUST LIKE LOUISVILLE SAID WE HAVE NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO PLAY THE # 1 TEAM BEFORE MEANING BAYLOR... saying forget about uconn and notre dame they are not the real #1's.... BAYLOR IS.

Good to see you can do addition.

I agree with you on facts; they're stubborn.

Fact #1: UConn 93 Louisville 60 for UConn's 8th National Championship. Everything else is just hot air.
Fact #2: The Final Four Most Outstanding Player was a Freshman.
Fact #3: UConn's 3 Freshmen played key minutes in its NCAA run and were more productive than Tennessee's freshmen.

Reaction Score
Keep it coming...... LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Haters are my motivators

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, Baylor has not been beating UCONN's butts. Over Griner's career the teams split 2-2 with UCONN winning by 20 and 1 and Baylor winning by 5 and 6. Check the facts next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom