KO Signs #1 2024 Recruit | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KO Signs #1 2024 Recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hard to believe they raised the PE for this concept. Although there is so much capital available now you can probably do a raise for just about anything.

At it's core it all feels kind of slimey to me, just like NIL, etc. Not because the kids are making some money, but because there is a certainty that the wrong elements are going to be involved and kids and families that are naive are going to be taken advantage. Of course the kids will get a great education.........sarcasm........

My disenchantment with college athletics is just about complete.

Reaction Score
That’s a good point. I always imagined their business model essentially being analogous to JG Wentworth in their structured settlements. In the right circumstances they will front some money in order to gain money on the backend. But, you are right this is what they say about revenue:

Zack Weiner, Overtime co-founder and president, said the Overtime Elite business model is based on three revenue buckets: sponsorship, licensing and merchandising, and media rights.

So essentially, @Fishy is right, their strategy is, more or less, “Um, views.” I guess we will see how that pans out for them.

For what it’s worth, their business model is more of a threat to Calipari‘s one and done model than to other universities.
@Get a Job narrowly defines “professional earnings” as salary, when OTE has been nimble enough to turn on a dime and going forward will likely be providing these “professional earnings” under the umbrella of NIL $’s derived from those merchandising / licensing, endorsements and media rights revenue streams. All of these, at their core, are player created value based. And if they go to college it would be logical to assume OTE would get a cut on the player’s college NIL. True, as some have stated we haven’t been truly told the contract details but if anyone here thinks those details favor the player over OTE, they don’t realize the benefit of being the party who writes the contract and has the ability to offer the money up front.

The likely revenue stream has a long arc on a star player extending years/decades after HS. That I believe is what people here are missing. Additionally, there’s a staff of 5 to do the recruiting and experienced business people running the show. Contrary to what some say here, KO did not found OTE. He is their coach with narrowly defined duties.

Reaction Score
@Get a Job narrowly defines “professional earnings” as salary, when OTE has been nimble enough to turn on a dime and going forward will likely be providing these “professional earnings” under the umbrella of NIL $’s derived from those merchandising / licensing, endorsements and media rights revenue streams. All of these, at their core, are player created value based. And if they go to college it would be logical to assume OTE would get a cut on the player’s college NIL. True, as some have stated we haven’t been truly told the contract details but if anyone here thinks those details favor the player over OTE, they don’t realize the benefit of being the party who writes the contract and has the ability to offer the money up front.

The likely revenue stream has a long arc on a star player extending years/decades after HS. That I believe is what people here are missing. Additionally, there’s a staff of 5 to do the recruiting and experienced business people running the show. Contrary to what some say here, KO did not found OTE. He is their coach with narrowly defined duties.
You haven't even found a source that said they get a % from "professional earnings". You just found a place that says OTE makes money through merchandising and then said "See, they get a cut of his 'professional earnings', the merchandising part." But it was never actually established that the revenue mentioned is from individual merchandising, and they very clearly sell Overtime merchandise. Occam's razor here.

Reaction Score

huh….

Reaction Score
You haven't even found a source that said they get a % from "professional earnings". You just found a place that says OTE makes money through merchandising and then said "See, they get a cut of his 'professional earnings', the merchandising part." But it was never actually established that the revenue mentioned is from individual merchandising, and they very clearly sell Overtime merchandise. Occam's razor here.
I can’t even read this word salad, never mind understand it. Is this concept really so hard to comprehend?

Reaction Score
This debate had me interested so I did some googling as chief suggested and found no concrete evidence that they were taking a chunk of future earnings after players left OTE. I thought I had remembered seeing it somewhere also but now can’t find it anywhere.

Reaction Score
I can’t even read this word salad, never mind understand it. Is this concept really so hard to comprehend?
I'll translate. He's saying that this "concept" you continually defend isn't based on any source that actually defends your point. And you continuing to ignore that fact is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
OTE is a total joke and I feel bad for any kid that commits to them. They dont play games. NIL destroyed any reason to go to them. Development academies should be attached to pro teams like in soccer. Development academy----> G League----> Pro team. Very Sad.
OTE (HS) is competing against Traditional HS not so much college. But, it does change the college feeder landscape and perhaps enables a few players to go directly from OTE HS to pro.

Reaction Score
No one has any trouble believing you are having trouble reading and understanding, trust me.
The problem is you and some others don’t appear to have a business background and lack an understanding of how revenues streams (merchandising, licensing, endorsements, media streaming) translates into professional earnings for the players and OTE. This relationship will exist beyond the HS years and that’s is the basis for the 80 million in investment. Reading several posts here, we are being told there is no good rationale for Bezo’s investment. In short, he an ignorant dummy, and these posters are more financially sophisticated. While businesses ultimately succeed or fail and take unpredictable turns due to unexpected events (pandemics, wars, etc); I submit there is a reasonable rationale behind this model. From OTE’s perspective all these revenue streams are proven for professional athletes and will soon have a basis in college with NIL. OTE gets in on the ground floor with a player and the revenue stories get built above that.

Reaction Score
The problem is you and some others don’t appear to have a business background and lack an understanding of how revenues streams (merchandising, licensing, endorsements, media streaming) translates into professional earnings for the players and OTE. This relationship will exist beyond the HS years and that’s is the basis for the 80 million in investment. Reading several posts here, we are being told there is no good rationale for Bezo’s investment. In short, he an ignorant dummy, and these posters are more financially sophisticated. While businesses ultimately succeed or fail and take unpredictable turns due to unexpected events (pandemics, wars, etc); I submit there is a reasonable rationale behind this model. From OTE’s perspective all these revenue streams are proven for professional athletes and will soon have a basis in college with NIL. OTE gets in on the ground floor with a player and the revenue stories get built above that.
I think you’d have to admit your making some assumptions here and it’s not quite the tip your cap moment you thought it was.

Reaction Score
"They don't play games" = false.
Show me their schedule.. Im talking about real games with fans. Not squad A versus squad B. With NIL, just go to college. Its a much richer experience and e.g. coeds / education. OTE is sad.

Reaction Score

Dont you think its slimey to be booking contracts with teenagers that extend for years beyond high school and college.

Reaction Score
We know those are absolutely the revenue streams for the Overtime brand itself (Overtime brand merchandise and licensing, Overtime league media streaming and sponsorships).

We just still haven't seen anything that indicates they are making contracts that take a % cut of those revenue streams that the kids generate as individuals with NIL. This was your claim:
Of course, the kid has to pay them a % for his entire pro career, that’s how OTE hopes to make money.
Definitely a percentage on the merchandising earnings by all published accounts. The player contracts are not public record.

If you think guys like Bezos are paying these kids a half a million a year in some cases (according to reports) without getting some kind of return on the $80 million investment, you are dreaming. This article is already out of date. No mention of NIL.
Other professional teams and leagues make money (a lot of money) without siphoning a % of their players' NIL and marketing deals, so it's not like the business model mandates it. It is unwise to assume the OTE does it differently without any actual indication to the contrary.

Reaction Score
OTE (HS) is competing against Traditional HS not so much college. But, it does change the college feeder landscape and perhaps enables a few players to go directly from OTE HS to pro.
There is a developmental academy model basketball could follow. (Barça Academy - Official Website). OTE isnt it. The players getting paid is idiotic. This meager revenue stream cannot sustain player payments. OTE is surviving on investor cash right now. It's a worse business model than movie pass. And in terms of player development, KO is not the guy. We saw how our players got worse from their freshman years.

Reaction Score

My sense is there is a lot more business prowess on this board than you realize. Good business folks sniff out BS quickly.

Oh.........Bezos' participation in the Series C round was pin money..........for him. Nichol slots..........

Reaction Score
My sense is there is a lot more business prowess on this board than you realize. Good business folks sniff out BS quickly.

Oh.........Bezos' participation in the Series C round was pin money..........for him. Nichol slots..........
You don’t get it, and Chief can’t coach you up. Rich guys don’t care less about losing money, no matter how rich, that’s not how they got there in the first place.

Reaction Score
You don’t get it, and Chief can’t coach you up. Rich guys don’t care less about losing money, no matter how rich, that’s not how they got there in the first place.

I am absolutely certain you can't coach me up in business.........absolutely certain.

btw, who said guys don't care about money?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know how well they're monetizing said views, but they're getting the views. 15 million followers on TikTok. A couple billion views a month.

You can’t sustain a basketball league on TikTok views.

Reaction Score
Beyond monitizing the current, I think one key is how long a lucrative arc these merchandising/endorsements deals have post OTE play and how they get structured.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I will say Overtime overall is strictly social media based and they do great with Gen Z. That’s their whole target market which is why I think they decided to go the high school league route.

They’re in the 100 thousands in Instagram and probably have a good # of views on YouTube as well but yeah, not sure how much they monetize on all of that and if it’s nearly enough to sustain them.

They may need to get enough players to get that media rights deal with ESPN or fox to last. A guy like Cunningham may be enough to leverage that but admittedly I have no idea how the rest of their schedule, teams, etc is setup. I do find the idea interesting though.

Reaction Score
I am absolutely certain you can't coach me up in business.........absolutely certain.

btw, who said guys don't care about money?
That was my sarcastic comments to the various posts about how $80 million is pin money, pocket change or sock draw money. It is but he still wants to make money on it.
My experience is the higher the net worth, the better prepared one must be in the dollar details. They may not know the day to day, but they have the acumen to ask penetrating questions that cut through the BS and lead to how things get monitized.
We know those are absolutely the revenue streams for the Overtime brand itself (Overtime brand merchandise and licensing, Overtime league media streaming and sponsorships).

We just still haven't seen anything that indicates they are making contracts that take a % cut of those revenue streams that the kids generate as individuals with NIL. This was your claim:

Other professional teams and leagues make money (a lot of money) without siphoning a % of their players' NIL and marketing deals, so it's not like the business model mandates it. It is unwise to assume the OTE does it differently without any actual indication to the contrary.
The number #1 player (Jackson) in the country will be getting exclusively compensated in NIL dollars. You can argue all the nonsense you want, but that’s the reality.

Reaction Score
The entire media segment is based on monetizing views. Where there are eyeballs there is money. But I agree as a startup they're likely not profitable yet and may never be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom