KO Signs #1 2024 Recruit | The Boneyard

KO Signs #1 2024 Recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nothing KO does with Overtime Elite has any effect on us. (And lol to the idea that KO is out there recruiting….when OE starts offering three star guys off of their instagram dunk vids, we’ll know KO is on the job.) No one paid a moment of attention to their season and their business model can be boiled down to “um, views?”

Good luck to whoever that kid is - hopefully OE’s burn rate gets him through high school. He’d have been better off going to college and looking into an NIL deal.

Reaction Score
Nothing KO does with Overtime Elite has any effect on us. (And lol to the idea that KO is out there recruiting….when OE starts offering three star guys off of their instagram dunk vids, we’ll know KO is on the job.) No one paid a moment of attention to their season and their business model can be boiled down to “um, views?”

Good luck to whoever that kid is - hopefully OE’s burn rate gets him through high school. He’d have been better off going to college and looking into an NIL deal.
Yeah I don’t understand the business model at all. If you have a kid that’s not only the number one prospect but also doing things nobody has really ever seen before like Zion then I could see them getting more attention but I’m pretty in tune with all levels of basketball and I didn’t even realize they had a season already.

Reaction Score

My understanding is that at least their (OTE) interpretation of current NCAA rules, is that he can somehow receive NIL dollars but earn no salary and then still have the decision at the end of HS of choosing between college or going pro. NIL, which given their investors (Bezos, Durrant, etc.), will be a lay-up. Of course, the kid has to pay them a % for his entire pro career, that’s how OTE hopes to make money.

Reaction Score

I'm with Fishy.

Blow me.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that at least their (OTE) interpretation of current NCAA rules, is that he can somehow receive NIL dollars but earn no salary and then still have the decision at the end of HS of choosing between college or going pro. NIL, which given their investors (Bezos, Durrant, etc.), will be a lay-up. Of course, the kid has to pay them a % for his entire pro career, that’s how OTE hopes to make money.
You (and others, but I think they got the impression from reading your posts) keep saying that, but I have not seen any corroborating statements in media. Do you have a link to any reporting that says OTE will get a cut of athletes' earnings when they go pro?

The article below mentions three revenue sources for the company, none of which involve taking a cut from players.

Reaction Score
You (and others, but I think they got the impression from reading your posts) keep saying that, but I have not seen any corroborating statements in media. Do you have a link to any reporting that says OTE will get a cut of athletes' earnings when they go pro?

The article below mentions three revenue sources for the company, none of which involve taking a cut from players.

Definitely a percentage on the merchandising earnings by all published accounts. The player contracts are not public record.

If you think guys like Bezos are paying these kids a half a million a year in some cases (according to reports) without getting some kind of return on the $80 million investment, you are dreaming. This article is already out of date. No mention of NIL.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah I don’t understand the business model at all. If you have a kid that’s not only the number one prospect but also doing things nobody has really ever seen before like Zion then I could see them getting more attention but I’m pretty in tune with all levels of basketball and I didn’t even realize they had a season already.

The business model is to ride out the VC cash, hope to tap them again and then ride that out and then go do something else.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Definitely a percentage on the merchandising earnings by all published accounts. The player contracts are not public record.

If you think guys like Bezos are paying these kids a half a million a year in some cases (according to reports) without getting some kind of return on investment, you are dreaming.

They’re losing money, sport.

The NIL advancement is an existential threat to what was already a catastrophe of a business model.

They‘re a dead man walking.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They’re losing money, sport.

The NIL advancement is an existential threat to what was already a catastrophe of a business model.

They‘re a dead man walking.
This is the reality. NIL kills what they formerly had to offer, moderate amounts of cash. The fact remains that people root for the laundry. That laundry ups the profile of any kid who wears it. Whatever value this kid has, it goes up in a Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, Florida or UCLA...jersey.

The only hope I see of OTE is that there enough kids that are just really dumb. So dumb they can't even pretend to go to college and so dumb they don't know what NIL now means for them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is the reality. NIL kills what they formerly had to offer, moderate amounts of cash. The fact remains that people root for the laundry. That laundry ups the profile of any kid who wears it. Whatever value this kid has, it goes up in a Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, Florida or UCLA...jersey.

The only hope I see of OTE is that there enough kids that are just really dumb. So dumb they can't even pretend to go to college and so dumb they don't know what NIL now means for them.

They will always find kids.

Their issue is actually making money. If you ever read any of the articles about them, the founders are always talking about the revenue streams they imagine and breezily mentioning some vague nonsense about views, but none of that is going to pay their bills when the investment cash runs out.

They’re selling high school basketball which is a horrible product.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They will always find kids.

Their issue is actually making money. If you ever read any of the articles about them, the founders are always talking about the revenue streams they imagine and breezily mentioning some vague nonsense about views, but none of that is going to pay their bills when the investment cash runs out.

They’re selling high school basketball which is a horrible product.
Yes, that's what I mean by rooting for the laundry. Even such luminary basketball powers as Holy Cross or Fairfield have more fans and "views" than this ever will.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score

If you think guys like Bezos are paying these kids a half a million a year in some cases (according to reports) without getting some kind of return on the $80 million investment, you are dreaming. This article is already out of date. No mention of NIL.
Bezos has 80 mil in his sock drawer

Reaction Score
We’re a sympathetic judge away from say a HS kid could prep there , at salary and still plsy in college . Frankly given the current rules that’s not a stretch

Reaction Score
The business model is to ride out the VC cash, hope to tap them again and then ride that out and then go do something else.
Bingo. This is like the WeWork of basketball. You can never underestimate how many dumb rich people are out there.

Reaction Score
Who do these guys even play? Seems like they exist for KO to post garbage IG content. #OTEluv

Reaction Score
This really is irrelevant...I appreciate him for NC#4 but he has never been the same after he was dumped by Stephanie...Imma roll with Coach Hurley

Reaction Score
Taking a cut of their merchandising, licensing and promotional earnings, certainly hits them in the wallet.

Reaction Score
Mostly I want to know who all these Glen Miller fanboys are we keep hearing about
This board is loaded with them. The only college job he could get after UConn was D3 courtesy of Jim. Tells you about his relationships with other coaches.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Surely those who sign with this outfit aren't doing so for the coaching.

Reaction Score
1650993020667.gif

Reaction Score

Can you please provide a link to some of these published accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom