Votes: 104 77.6%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
My hope is that when that award is given it's a UConn player.

If I had to place a vote in a box today and the choice is between KK or Ash I would vote for Ash.

Three weeks from now it could just as easily be for KK.

There is a lot of basketball to be played and both of these young ladies have a lot of growth to go through.

Regardless who get it I'll be happy for them.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Wow, as many have indicated each has done very well, and there is a lot basketball to be played. If I had to pick one at this point I would select Ashlynn. With the loss of Azzi and Caroline, 3 pt shooting is where we are most vulnerable, and Ash has shown that she is a much better outside shooter than KK, especially with the mid range. Both are invaluable to us right now, so I just want them both to finish the year healthy and then we will see.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow, as many have indicated each has done very well, and there is a lot basketball to be played. If I had to pick one at this point I would select Ashlynn. With the loss of Azzi and Caroline, 3 pt shooting is where we are most vulnerable, and Ash has shown that she is a much better outside shooter than KK, especially with the mid range. Both are invaluable to us right now, so I just want them both to finish the year healthy and then we will see.
“Ash a much better outside shooter?” As I mentioned earlier, Ashlynn is shooting a very respectable .345 from the arc while KK is shooting.400….:oops:

Reaction Score
“Ash a much better outside shooter?” As I mentioned earlier, Ashlynn is shooting a very respectable .345 from the arc while KK is shooting.400….:oops:

Slightly off topics...

Sample size matters. Out of curiosity, I looked up C Clark's stat and she has a very respectable 3-pt % and she has taken more 3-pt shots than Paige's TOTAL # of shots. Wow!.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Slightly off topics...

Sample size matters. Out of curiosity, I looked up C Clark's stat and she has a very respectable 3-pt % and she has taken more 3-pt shots than Paige's TOTAL # of shots. Wow!.
Yes. The question of course is if KK took the same # if 3-pt shots as Ashlynn and Paige took the same number of 3-pt shots as Clark could they maintain their current .400 & .508 respectively. If the answer is “yes” then both KK and Paige need to shoot a lot more 3’s…;)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
A lot of KKs hoops were driving layups. Ashlynn is a better outside shooter at this point than KK and hasn't shot it as much as Ash. In the long run, I would take Ash over KK on a in a 3 pt contest.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A lot of KKs hoops were driving layups. Ashlynn is a better outside shooter at this point than KK and hasn't shot it as much as Ash. In the long run, I would take Ash over KK on a in a 3 pt contest.
Who would you take driving to the basket? KK has not only made more layups, but she’s gotten to the foul line 350% more than Ashlynn.

Reaction Score
OK, with UConn WBB seemingly having a hammer lock on the FOW award between KK, Ashlynn & Q, it’s time for all BY’ers to weigh in on which Husky will be awarded the BE FOY award and why?

Of course KK was named preseason FOY in the BE, and she has been outstanding. But Ashlynn has stepped up as well and been equally outstanding. Right now, I can make a bunch of really good arguments for either one. Tell me what you think.
Not even close. KK is playing like a great freshman. Ashlynn is playing like a senior. She is doing what Carolyn did 2 years ago.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Let’s talk numbers. KK has played approximately 10% more minutes than Ashlynn, 400 to 347, and has 6X as many steals, 36 to 6. KK’s 36 steals lead the Huskies ahead of Paige’s 33, and ranks 44th in the nation.

If you want to know how important those steals are to UConn just consider what Geno said a few games back. “Every steal not only represents an extra possession for us to score, but one less possession for the opponent to score.” In effect, each steal can result in up to a 6 pt differential in the score.

Ashlynn is a good defender and she works at it. KK is incredibly quick, one of the best “on ball” defenders I’ve ever seen at UConn and she will only get better.
I concede the point on the steals and the importance that they represent. Yes KK is a gnat when she is after the ball while being the quickest player on team UCONN. My point on Ash, she is very often defending players in the front court, players often much bigger and taller than her. Wining many more matchups than not. I guess it comes down to what impresses you most, both are tenacious and unafraid both outplaying most of their matchups. It comes down to what impresses you most.
I take your numbers at face value, and they are impressive. I am more of a gut feeling type of analyzing fan. I love watching both our jaguar KK and our Humvee Ash. Both are Huskies, include Q and it shows just how amazing our freshman class is. Take your pick on which is better. I respect your pick on this post and your incredible BB IQ. It's fun for me to debate these questions with you and other BY legends. Hat's off.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This debate is a lot like the Jim Rice, Fred Lynn debate in 1975 when they were both rookies.
The real debate is how much better are we with Shade/Arnold in the starting lineup vs. Fudd/Ducharme.
I would have to say that UConn is a better team with a healthy Azzi & Caroline. But there’s the rub……

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
This debate is a lot like the Jim Rice, Fred Lynn debate in 1975 when they were both rookies.
The real debate is how much better are we with Shade/Arnold in the starting lineup vs. Fudd/Ducharme.
Hmmm. . . A question with no answer.

As it stands the best we have is KK and Ash. If either or both experiences physical issues later in their career as have Azzie and Caroline we will be where we were before KK and Ash arrived.

If Azzie & Caroline hadn't experienced the physical issues KK and Ash would be serving their freshman apprenticeship and providing breaks for our starters and enabling the team to attack over the full court for 40 minutes or longer.

I'm hoping that next year KK and Ash have to work harder and smarter than at any point in their live if they want to have a starter role on the team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's too early. Both are working upperclassman minutes and there is this phantom called the wall which may strike. Both are marvelous, but they are swimming in the deep end without floaties.

Reaction Score
That question won't truly be answered until March.

Reaction Score
Surprised by the vote totals so far, particularly when you compare stats. While both players have put up great numbers, KK leads in mpg, FG%, 3pt FG%, rebounds and leads in assists & steals by a lot….also leads in turnovers and pf’s by a lot. KK has the ball in her hands more and maintains a respectable A/TO ratio of 1.59, while Ashlynn is just behind with a 1.50 A/TO ratio.

Ashlynn leads slightly in ppg, and has a big lead in FT %, although KK has gotten to the foul line a lot more 42 to 12.
Part of the stat differential may have to do with the fact that Ash’s increased minutes came after the loss of Azzi and Caroline. KK already had a role from the outset. Once Ash hit her stride she hasn’t left the floor. She does it all at both ends.

Reaction Score
Um, Ash has attempted twice as many and still made a high percentage. Let’s see how KK’s percentage looks after 60 attempts. Conversely, no way Ash can penetrate and break a defense down like KK. What a formidable and complementary duo. The fact that they are both so unselfish makes them a joy to watch.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We can look at stats all we want, but the bottom line is that we have two fantastic freshmen who have entirely different games, and that is what makes them so valuable. It's funny saying this after what happened last year, but we don't need another point guard. We need a shooter, a work horse, a player who isn't afraid to mix it up with opponents. Ashlynn and KK complement each other, and comparing stats don't show the real value of these two players. They both will be great doing exactly what they are doing now, and the differences between the two will make them a lethal twosome in the next 3 years for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom