Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Ashlynn

Votes: 104 77.6%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Surprised by the vote totals so far, particularly when you compare stats. While both players have put up great numbers, KK leads in mpg, FG%, 3pt FG%, rebounds and leads in assists & steals by a lot….also leads in turnovers and pf’s by a lot. KK has the ball in her hands more and maintains a respectable A/TO ratio of 1.59, while Ashlynn is just behind with a 1.50 A/TO ratio.

Ashlynn leads slightly in ppg, and has a big lead in FT %, although KK has gotten to the foul line a lot more 42 to 12.

Color me shocked as well. KK leads in just about every statistical category, so I'm interested to see why Ashlynn is getting almost everyone’s vote.

Reaction Score
Couldn't be more pleased with both of them. Refreshing to have a debate about which freshman has been more valuable as opposed to wondering how they were rated so high in their recruiting class and when/if they will ever live up to the hype.

Reaction Score
Color me shocked as well. KK leads in just about every statistical category, so I'm interested to see why Ashlynn is getting almost everyone’s vote.
This why I made the comments I did. I think if you break the games played so far in half, you'd see KK was the clear winner in the first half but if you then compare the second half, Shade would start to make inrodes especially in the scoring, efficiency, and mpg categories for sure. The trend is moving in Shade's direction right now but we'll see what the next about 15 games will tell.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Wow, I thought it was near 50/50 not 15/85! Makes wish I voted for KK. :confused:

Reaction Score
I think KK had an edge on defense and Ashlynn scores more points but lately Ashlynn has upped her defense. I think we are gonna need a couple more games to see how it all shakes out.
Has there ever been a tie for FOY?
The class that comes to my mind is the class that had Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tamika Williams, and Asjha Jones. Anyone remember who got freshman of the year?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Well, KK shoots a pretty fair percentage inside the arc (59%). But would you expect KK to outshoot Ashlynn from beyond the arc (40% to 34%)? While I acknowledge that Ashlynn is a better shooter than KK, when it comes to defense and playmaking, KK has the edge imo.
Not so fast oldude, I have to take the other side in reference to defense. While KK sticks her hands towards the ball more trying for steals, and getting some, Ash is a much better switcher on players and man's up better IMO. When taken to the hoop by taller players both suffer slightly. For what it's worth there really isn't a winner or loser on defense both are proving better than expected. I posted over a year ago that I thought that Ash could very well become the future face of the Huskies. I was taken to task by a number here on the BY, who thought that KK was so much better. What a problem for us and Geno to have. We have both, and no one else does. We are blessed to be able to debate about them. :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not so fast oldude, I have to take the other side in reference to defense. While KK sticks her hands towards the ball more trying for steals, and getting some, Ash is a much better switcher on players and man's up better IMO. When taken to the hoop by taller players both suffer slightly. For what it's worth there really isn't a winner or loser on defense both are proving better than expected. I posted over a year ago that I thought that Ash could very well become the future face of the Huskies. I was taken to task by a number here on the BY, who thought that KK was so much better. What a problem for us and Geno to have. We have both, and no one else does. We are blessed to be able to debate about them. :cool:
Let’s talk numbers. KK has played approximately 10% more minutes than Ashlynn, 400 to 347, and has 6X as many steals, 36 to 6. KK’s 36 steals lead the Huskies ahead of Paige’s 33, and ranks 44th in the nation.

If you want to know how important those steals are to UConn just consider what Geno said a few games back. “Every steal not only represents an extra possession for us to score, but one less possession for the opponent to score.” In effect, each steal can result in up to a 6 pt differential in the score.

Ashlynn is a good defender and she works at it. KK is incredibly quick, one of the best “on ball” defenders I’ve ever seen at UConn and she will only get better.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That post was uncalled for and to me Offensive. Does not belong on a the Bone Yard with all the knowledgeable posters here. 99% bleed blue and of that 99%. 100% are true Uconn fans. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!
You are misunderstanding the post. @CL82 was making a joke about having a favorite child but never saying it out loud

Reaction Score
Who cares?! The last time this team had four Freshmen in the Top seven of the rotation was exactly 25 years ago. I seem to remember that turned out pretty well.

Reaction Score
This why I made the comments I did. I think if you break the games played so far in half, you'd see KK was the clear winner in the first half but if you then compare the second half, Shade would start to make inrodes especially in the scoring, efficiency, and mpg categories for sure. The trend is moving in Shade's direction right now but we'll see what the next about 15 games will tell.
1704765863787.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The class that comes to my mind is the class that had Sue Bird, Swin Cash, Tamika Williams, and Asjha Jones. Anyone remember who got freshman of the year?

Tamika was the FOY. Asjha, Swin, and Sue got Olympic Golds. Swin is in the Naismith HOF, and Sue is on track to be there. 8 Olympic Golds in that group!!

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the context of Big East Freshman of the Year, here are 2 Huskies who did NOT win the award: Diana Taurasi and Breanna Stewart. Does anyone remember who won those years? Hint: The winners could both make it to the Naismith Hall of Fame.

Here are 2 Huskies who won Big East Freshman of the Year. In the same seasons, they also were named Big East Player of the Year and National Player of the Year: Maya Moore and Paige Bueckers.

Reaction Score
Well, KK shoots a pretty fair percentage inside the arc (59%). But would you expect KK to outshoot Ashlynn from beyond the arc (40% to 34%)? While I acknowledge that Ashlynn is a better shooter than KK, when it comes to defense and playmaking, KK has the edge imo.
My wife and I argue over which shade (no pun) of white to choose, when they are so close. Ashlynn has way fewer opportunities to make plays as she has less control of the ball.

Reaction Score
In the context of Big East Freshman of the Year, here are 2 Huskies who did NOT win the award: Diana Taurasi and Breanna Stewart. Does anyone remember who won those years? Hint: The winners could both make it to the Naismith Hall of Fame.

Here are 2 Huskies who won Big East Freshman of the Year. In the same seasons, they also were named Big East Player of the Year and National Player of the Year: Maya Moore and Paige Bueckers.
Rebekkah Brunson, Georgetown
Jewell Loyd, Notre Dame

Breanna was only an Honorable Mention to make the All-Freshman Team that year.

Reaction Score
Probably because few expected anything of Ashlynn this year, and WHAM she's in your face. We all knew KK was going to be good. I just wish @oldude would have add a "Co-FoY" category. At this point in the season they are both very deserving.

sun

Reaction Score
It's not hard to imagine how both freshmen could be languishing on the bench had it not been for injuries to other players that afforded them the opportunity to excel under pressure.
Now that they've performed so well, it's hard to imagine them being supplanted by the return of the vets.
They've certainly made a case to be given PT under any such circumstances.
But for each of us to answer the poll question, I think we should ask ourselves which of them could we more easily do without if Azzi or Carol or another weren't injured?
It's a tough question that's not all black & white & based on their statistics.
Geno's fortunate that the decisions of which should play was dictated by the circumstrances.
It's possible that in the future they could possibly outplay some of their injured teammates, or at least receive equal PT based on which of their skills are needed more.

Reaction Score
It is too close right now but I would give the edge to KK. KK started the year off on a solid note while Ashlynn was trying to find her footing within the team. Slowly Ashlynn found her footing within the program and has made a case for BE FOY. They are close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom