Kirk Bohls profiles UConn on the B12 Expansion tour | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kirk Bohls profiles UConn on the B12 Expansion tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Also, keep in mind these are the odds of a beat reporter from the Statesman. Not like Vegas weighing in here, guys.

Obviously - it just didn't line up with the tone of the article.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Odds for the six schools that they have evaluated so far:

Boise St 20-1
Colorado St 20-1
Central Florida 12-1
UConn 10-1
Cincinnati 5-1
BYU 3-1

They plan on looking at 4 more schools over the next couple of days.

LOL. They are going to say FSU and Clemson!

Big 12 homers are out of their minds.

They already have an expected .83 teams in the league with those odds - so do they have them expanding by 4???

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
this is before the BVH report - once those numbers leak out, watch the dial move on those odds.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Some analysts consider BYU and UConn locks as potential expansion targets, but the league would likely only take one of the universities.

Just take both and be done with it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
LOL - "Without expansion, the league has teams in four of the top 100 markets — Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Des Moines-Ames, and Waco — in the United States. "
Four of the top 100!

LOFL at including Des Moines, which the B12 shares, and bloody Waco.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
LOL - "Without expansion, the league has teams in four of the top 100 markets — Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Des Moines-Ames, and Waco — in the United States. "
Four of the top 100!

Those four translate in to UT, TCU (but it's really UT), half of ISU, and Baylor (which is still UT).

So for those keeping score at home, Texas fans who live in Texas are sure to have Texas games on their TV, which is nice. It's hardly a winning model for a conference network as proven by the LHN and the giant bath ESPN is taking on it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Who's left for "serious" candidates?
South Florida
Memphis

Last slot:
SMU?
East Carolina?
Tulane?
Temple?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Four of the top 100!

KU is in the KC market, so this is just wrong. OKC is also certainly a top 100 market (#43). Not sure where they got these "facts". Hell, even Tulsa is #60.

By the way, DFW beats Houston. For all the talk of Houston as the 3rd largest city, the DMA ranks 10th. Below even Boston. Once you leave the city limits, it's the boonies.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
By the way, different writers are doing each school, and their approaches have been different.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They've all been essentially the same format - no?

Format, yes, but the discussions have been different. Some are pretty thorough, like Bohls. The Cinci one could have been written by a 3rd grader.

Reaction Score
Some analysts consider BYU and UConn locks as potential expansion targets, but the league would likely only take one of the universities.

Just take both and be done with it.

I like our chances. If they don't want to add both UConn and BYU because it stretches the conference out too much I think they will add UConn and Cincinnati.

The Big 12 can have BYU on an island, and WVU and Cincy on another island
or
The Big 12 can have UConn, WVU and Cincy on the same island.

I'm thinking the conference would prefer fewer islands. Besides, BYU would have to resolve the no-play on Sunday issue and demonstrate the potential to bring in more money than UConn.

Reaction Score

Academic ranking: Memphis isn’t ranked by the U.S. News and World Report. It’s considered a Tier 2 school.
Current Learfield Cup ranking: No. 215, through the winter sports (164th in 2014-15). How that ranking places Memphis among Big 12 schools:

This Twitter loud mouth has been non-existent today:

TigerBronco ‏@jay_256 May 24
TigerBronco Memphis just had over 260 student athletes to have a 3.0 GPA or better. Not too shabby for a "poor academic school".

Sure hope he's seen the write-up.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Academic ranking: Memphis isn’t ranked by the U.S. News and World Report. It’s considered a Tier 2 school.
Current Learfield Cup ranking: No. 215, through the winter sports (164th in 2014-15). How that ranking places Memphis among Big 12 schools:

TigerBronco Memphis just had over 260 student athletes to have a 3.0 GPA or better. Not too shabby for a "poor academic school".

Couldn't resist a little tweak at this guy... Memphis fans are a special breed.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Agreed. I expect they will evaluate South Florida, Memphis and Houston (not sure about 4th team - SMU or ECU ?). It will be interesting to see the odds on Houston, may tell us a lot about the oddsmaker.

As long as UT is a member of the B12, Houston is a 100-1 shot for getting an invite.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I like our chances. If they don't want to add both UConn and BYU because it stretches the conference out too much I think they will add UConn and Cincinnati.

The Big 12 can have BYU on an island, and WVU and Cincy on another island
or
The Big 12 can have UConn, WVU and Cincy on the same island.

I'm thinking the conference would prefer fewer islands. Besides, BYU would have to resolve the no-play on Sunday issue and demonstrate the potential to bring in more money than UConn.
I would go 4. UConn / Cincy in the East and BYU / Colorado State in the West. Maybe have BYU / CSU for football only.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
KU is in the KC market, so this is just wrong. OKC is also certainly a top 100 market (#43). Not sure where they got these "facts". Hell, even Tulsa is #60.

By the way, DFW beats Houston. For all the talk of Houston as the 3rd largest city, the DMA ranks 10th. Below even Boston. Once you leave the city limits, it's the boonies.

You've obviously never been to Houston. The suburbs in Houston's SMSA have far more population than the city itself, and Galveston is also part of the metro Houston market. It's one continuous city N-S from Conroe to Galveston along I-45 (close to 100 miles) and from E-W from Baytown to Katy along I-10 (about 50 miles).

It doesn't matter anyway regarding the B12 because they already have a huge presence in the metro Houston market, considering there are tons of UT, Baylor, TCU and TX Tech alums and fans living there.

Reaction Score

"With the results of your final included below, I am pleased to inform you that you've achieved a 3.0 GPA this semester."

Elephant.png

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You've obviously never been to Houston. The suburbs in Houston's SMSA have far more population than the city itself, and Galveston is also part of the metro Houston market. It's one continuous city N-S from Conroe to Galveston along I-45 (close to 100 miles) and from E-W from Baytown to Katy along I-10 (about 50 miles).

It doesn't matter anyway regarding the B12 because they already have a huge presence in the metro Houston market, considering there are tons of UT, Baylor, TCU and TX Tech alums and fans living there.

I haven't. But it is 600+ square miles. Hartford is 18. So a lot of what people think are the suburbs are Houston. It's freaking huge. Close to half the overall metro population lives in the city itself (2.3m out of 5.6m).

This is a really good one for us.
LMM5ZlP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member