Kiah the Enigma | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kiah the Enigma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So once again, a poster is lambasted for daring to say something that might not be completely positive about a player, and Geno's comments seem to show that the OP had some validity. I'm for more open discussion here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So once again, a poster is lambasted for daring to say something that might not be completely positive about a player, and Geno's comments seem to show that the OP had some validity. I'm for more open discussion here.
Getting lambasted on occasion is part of open discussion. Saying something that provokes response extends discussion, especially, if one has taken the time to think it through and defend it. The problem that things are often speculative and without basis and therefore indefensible.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The problem remains the paucity of real intelligence, a subject I wrote about earlier.

For example, an interview was obtained with Brianna Banks this week, occurring at the announcement of a date for her surgery, detailing in a manner that was personally quite revealing both her and her family's understandable difficulties in dealing with her injury.

Is such access controlled by the athletic department and the team? We sure had a lot of access with Stewie the last couple of games as her funk subsided. There sure seemed to be a lot less access in the weeks prior.

There are two possibilities as I see it.

-Either the team and the Dept. control access to players and allow such interviews that they deem helpful to their aims

or

- If unlimited access is permitted, our beat reporters are not as aggressive as they might be in obtaining the information that this group deems significant.

If we are now getting info on the family's reaction to say Bank's injury, I sure would like to hear from Kiah's dad.
And if Morgan minutes are limited by injury, it would only take a simple announcement or a brief question to disclose this fact.

Without increased access, I'm afraid speculation is inevitable.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Historically, indications have been the team has always controlled access.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Exactly. Rushing to judgement is fun, but often hurtful speculation full of assumptions. And you know what they say about assuming....

But isn't that exactly what you did when you assumed that the OP's comment was based entirely on speculation?How did you know that the OP wasn't aware of Auriemma's statement?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I thought I heard Geno say after the game that Caroline and Morgans injuries are still acting up thus limited minutes. Now Kiah I thought hit a nice shot in the game the other day and played pretty well. Why she sat last nite? I dont know. Maybe it was poor practice maybe it was her injury acting up maybe both. We will need her as from Saturday forward. USF is a good team and can give us a scare especially in Fla. ND will be very tuff at home. In both games we need to pound the ball down the middle and let our bigs get fouled. Breanna looked good again last nite. Not taking some of the treys she had imo is a good sign. She needs to do her work within 15ft and an occasional trey.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna say it again, they prefer getting Stewart rolling over Stokes. BStew's offense is very important going into March Madness
Yeah this is never simple: Geno may be giving some players fewer minutes because he has reasons to give other players more. BStew is a case in point. Bria is another: What could be more important than helping our #1 point guard work through whatever she is working through? That is why I get uncomfortable when I see another thread like this get rolling. "The enigma that is the Boneyard" (TJI) indeed!

Reaction Score
Sorry, Chris, but one of the things you have to learn about our Board is that legitimate criticism of any of the girls' play, however objective and appropriately-motivated, will be shot down as unfair, or bullying, or mean-spirited. We have a gender-related double standard here...you could do this on the mens' Board with impunity, but criticism is largely judged unacceptable here. The fact is, of course, that you raise some excellent points in your post. Kiah does seem to be blessed with all the physical gifts, but also seems to lack the aggressiveness and drive that will turn those natural gifts into a true and consistent asset for us. One can see occasional flashes of brilliance, especially in shot-blocking, but those will inevitably be followed by a lapse in concentration that will cost us a turnover. Morgan is passing her by, which is great for Morgan, but we need the ability to keep running fresh legs in there whereby each player can really contribute, and, for whatever reason, Kiah's not there yet.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Morgan may be in the same boat next year... cause Geno may think she got it this year so why isn't she getting it next year. He almost had no choice but to play Stokes last season... and mask the mistakes as much as possible.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sorry, Chris, but one of the things you have to learn about our Board is that legitimate criticism of any of the girls' play, however objective and appropriately-motivated, will be shot down as unfair, or bullying, or mean-spirited. We have a gender-related double standard here...you could do this on the mens' Board with impunity, but criticism is largely judged unacceptable here.
Bull. Are you saying that if some disagrees with the criticism, they shouldn't post? And this ain't the men's board, which has turned into Crap.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sorry, Chris, but one of the things you have to learn about our Board is that legitimate criticism of any of the girls' play, however objective and appropriately-motivated, will be shot down as unfair, or bullying, or mean-spirited. We have a gender-related double standard here...you could do this on the mens' Board with impunity, but criticism is largely judged unacceptable here. The fact is, of course, that you raise some excellent points in your post. Kiah does seem to be blessed with all the physical gifts, but also seems to lack the aggressiveness and drive that will turn those natural gifts into a true and consistent asset for us. One can see occasional flashes of brilliance, especially in shot-blocking, but those will inevitably be followed by a lapse in concentration that will cost us a turnover. Morgan is passing her by, which is great for Morgan, but we need the ability to keep running fresh legs in there whereby each player can really contribute, and, for whatever reason, Kiah's not there yet.
If it can be legitimately shot down. That should not be a problem, but if it can be defended then it should be defended vociferously with quality facts and figures, quotes, other pertinent material or logic.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Yeah, we get the U part, but who is this "Ming" you are talking about?
tumblr_me65tz0ZFI1rawb5do1_400.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Somehow, Biff, this makes me feel closer to all of you. About 300 miles closer.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
The problem remains the paucity of real intelligence, a subject I wrote about earlier.

For example, an interview was obtained with Brianna Banks this week, occurring at the announcement of a date for her surgery, detailing in a manner that was personally quite revealing both her and her family's understandable difficulties in dealing with her injury.

Is such access controlled by the athletic department and the team? We sure had a lot of access with Stewie the last couple of games as her funk subsided. There sure seemed to be a lot less access in the weeks prior.

There are two possibilities as I see it.

-Either the team and the Dept. control access to players and allow such interviews that they deem helpful to their aims

or

- If unlimited access is permitted, our beat reporters are not as aggressive as they might be in obtaining the information that this group deems significant.

If we are now getting info on the family's reaction to say Bank's injury, I sure would like to hear from Kiah's dad.
And if Morgan minutes are limited by injury, it would only take a simple announcement or a brief question to disclose this fact.

Without increased access, I'm afraid speculation is inevitable.

We also need to know that information regarding the health of a player is protected by HIPA (health information privacy act). For B. Banks injury to be discussed in the detail it was yesterday, she and her family would have to allow it. Similarly, Dr. Tom would have needed the permission of Caroline to discuss her injuries in the depth that he did for her senior profile, and I am sure he had it.

And if Kiah's father wanted to comment on her situation, he certainly could. I recall that Brittany Hunter's parents were not shy about their concerns before and after she came to UConn.

Perhaps Mr. Stokes, because he IS a former professional player, considers discretion to be a virtue....

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Yeah this is never simple: Geno may be giving some players fewer minutes because he has reasons to give other players more. BStew is a case in point. Bria is another: What could be more important than helping our #1 point guard work through whatever she is working through? That is why I get uncomfortable when I see another thread like this get rolling. "The enigma that is the Boneyard" (TJI) indeed!

Your argument probably has some validity but it doesn't explain why Stokes, an underclassman needing developement, should be sitting while outgoing upperclassman Buck got to play. Obviously there was a reason, either injury or punishment. Auriemma's statement seems to indicate it was the latter.

Reaction Score
tumblr_me65tz0ZFI1rawb5do1_400.jpg

Wow! Has the team doctor looked at this player's head injury yet? I can't believe she's still allowed to play!

Reaction Score
I agree that Stewart brings more to the table and Kiah needs to want to fight for more minutes or go home this summer. She has such a huge upside......Where is her father?.........

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I
I just don't understand the need for fans to know all these details. Especially this infatuation with Tuck's minutes.

Human nature DD. Just like the majority of us watch the games and second guess Auriemma all the time even though we might not have a clue. It's part of the fun of being a fan. If you've never second guessed Auriemma or never wondered why a player sits the entire game then you are most likely in the minority here.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I agree that Stewart brings more to the table and Kiah needs to want to fight for more minutes or go home this summer. She has such a huge upside......Where is her father?.........

I was with you, up until "where is her father?". With some kids, this can be part of the problem (I have no idea whether it is with Kiah - based on the public silence, I suspect that it is not part of the problem). Parents are appropriately involved during the recruiting of high school students. But, the decision of where to go should be the students', not the parent's. And, a parent should be very, very, reluctant to get between a player (particularly a non-freshman) and the coaching staff.

Most of us, myself included, refer to the players as "kids". I worked on college campuses for many years, and staff often refers to "the kids". Yet, legally, in just about every way, they aren't kids - they're adults, and need to function on their own, independently. I've long thought of college as "being a grown-up, with a safety net." Kiah should not be depending on her dad, or any other relation, to ride to her rescue (if needed). Lend a sympathic ear, absolutely, and perhaps a shoulder to lean on - but not intervene (unless health/safety/legal lines are crossed).

College students are at a weird stage, in this country. They can legally smoke, marry, procreate, go to war (which means kill or be killed), drive - and some of them can "legally" drink. They've got adult rights and responsibilities - and that means learning to fight your own battles appropriately, and deal with life's obstacles. Yet, sometimes they'd prefer to revert back to being dependent, and have somebody else deal with the tough stuff. Sometimes, we parents want them to regress - we hate to seem them suffer & struggle, so, we want to step in and "make it better" for them. Again, with a few specific exceptions, everybody is better off in the long run, if Mom & Dad stay out of it, and let "the kids" grow up.

Reaction Score
Or, maybe there's something physical going on that you don't know about? Leaping to conclusions, the enigma that is the 'yard.:cool:

This is my response to all of you who were leaping to conclusions about my comments. Read Jim Fuller's article about the Pitt game where he said Auriemma opted not to play a healthy Kiah Stokes. He wants to play players that earn their minutes. You are the ones who were leaping to conclusions. Besides, have we not seen this from Kiah before. Benched because she has, "No fire burning in her belly." Show me one highlight where she was running full out or diving with abandon for a loose ball. Caroline has had three torn ACLs, and she still dives on loose balls with abandon. There's a player criticized so unfairly. Those who criticize her couldn't even get out of the bed in the morning let alone play basketball after what she's endured!

Reaction Score
Do y
just calling her an enigma is harmful... stop labeling these kids especially our own
Do you even know what an enigma is? One that is puzzling or inexplicable, right out of the dictionary. The four coaches have been working with Kiah for almost two years now, and they haven't been able to figure her out. We're not talking about inexperienced, unknowledgeable coaches. We're talking about some of the best coaches in the game of basketball.
Period!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits