Kiah selected 3rd in WKBL | The Boneyard

Kiah selected 3rd in WKBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Does this mean that Kiah will play in Korea over the winter, or is that just an option? I think that the major teams in Europe pay at least $125K.

Reaction Score
Does this mean that Kiah will play in Korea over the winter, or is that just an option? I think that the major teams in Europe pay at least $125K.

Could be an option but it seems like she applied to be in the draft so it very much could be a possibility. Looks like their season runs the same time as most European leagues.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suspect part of the reason Kiah got selected third is the teams realize they cannot compete for the other leagues in terms of pay so their would be no reason to select a Maya or Griner - it would just be a wasted pick. However with foreign leagues looking for offense from their US players, Kiah is an interesting gamble (in terms of the pick) - she might just not find more money her first year on the international market.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
This is the team that drafted her...
Yongin_Samsung_Life_Blue_Minx.png

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

it mentions that all foreign players receive $25K per month for a season that lasts about 5 mos., so at least she would be making $125K. Nothing like the big or even 'medium' names in Europe but maybe that's her market value? Time will tell -

You raise a good point - we'll see if Kiah ends up in Europe somewhere for more money, or if she says, "I shall go to Korea!"

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
If she does go to Korea, I'd urge announcers after each block to exclaim, wow, she really bim bim bapped that one...or...bim bim bap, another blocked shot for Stokes.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
If she does go to Korea, I'd urge announcers after each block to exclaim, wow, she really bim bim bapped that one...or...bim bim bap, another blocked shot for Stokes.
You know, I may start using that now. She was credited with four blocks today even though she got seven.

Reaction Score
I suspect part of the reason Kiah got selected third is the teams realize they cannot compete for the other leagues in terms of pay so their would be no reason to select a Maya or Griner - it would just be a wasted pick. However with foreign leagues looking for offense from their US players, Kiah is an interesting gamble (in terms of the pick) - she might just not find more money her first year on the international market.

Maybe this is the kick in the rear Kiah really needs? She hasn't been on a team where she's been relied on offensively since probably high school. She will be almost forced to take the shots. Either way, it's been great to see her impact in the W and signing with the Korean team is probably the best move for her as of now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love Charde a lot, but I'm not sure about the logic of drafting her over Kiah. To me it's a no brainer - i'd take Kiah in a heartbeat...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You know, I may start using that now. She was credited with four blocks today even though she got seven.
So she really had 7 points, 7 boards, and 7 blocks? Nice!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maybe this is the kick in the rear Kiah really needs? She hasn't been on a team where she's been relied on offensively since probably high school. She will be almost forced to take the shots. Either way, it's been great to see her impact in the W and signing with the Korean team is probably the best move for her as of now.

It's amazing what a change of venue and a new coach with a different outlook and approach can do for one's career. I could not be happier for Kiah. I have a feeling we won't recognize Kiah this time next year. The pro game will have slowed down for her by then, and her confidence level will be through the roof. ;)

Reaction Score
The Korean league as a whole is much better about paying their players the money they promise. There a lot of issues with European clubs not keeping up their end of the bargain or taking forever to give out payments. China is the same way. They pay 500K a year and players like Maya and Griner keep going back because the money is all but guaranteed. Korea also has a good reputation among foreign players because of the high tech cities/modern feel. Tina Thompson played their for a number of years and I remember her saying she felt comfortable there because of how welcoming fans and people in general were.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love Charde a lot, but I'm not sure about the logic of drafting her over Kiah. To me it's a no brainer - i'd take Kiah in a heartbeat...
no way... Charde is a proven foreign scoring machine who has won multiple MVP's/Awards etc. on foreign soils

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Over on rebkell, they said Charde has been on the last two league winners in Korea. Proven track record.

Reaction Score
The Korean league as a whole is much better about paying their players the money they promise. There a lot of issues with European clubs not keeping up their end of the bargain or taking forever to give out payments. China is the same way. They pay 500K a year and players like Maya and Griner keep going back because the money is all but guaranteed. Korea also has a good reputation among foreign players because of the high tech cities/modern feel. Tina Thompson played their for a number of years and I remember her saying she felt comfortable there because of how welcoming fans and people in general were.

South Korea is one country that does not forget what our Military did for them. I was stopped in a Walmart, here, wearing my Korean War Vet hat . Stopped by a 30 something Korean guy and his young kids and for 10 minutes he thanked me for saving his country. He was so effusive I was embarrassed. They also supply FREE trips to Korea for Korean War Vets---it's great to be appreciated.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
South Korea is one country that does not forget what our Military did for them. I was stopped in a Walmart, here, wearing my Korean War Vet hat . Stopped by a 30 something Korean guy and his young kids and for 10 minutes he thanked me for saving his country. He was so effusive I was embarrassed. They also supply FREE trips to Korea for Korean War Vets---it's great to be appreciated.
In any event, thank you for your service!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
no way... Charde is a proven foreign scoring machine who has won multiple MVP's/Awards etc. on foreign soils
Over on rebkell, they said Charde has been on the last two league winners in Korea. Proven track record.
Ah. I did not know that. Thanks! Well great for Charde - always loved her and sometimes I think she doesn't get enough love from UCONN fans because she never really reached her potential and often seemed to be in Geno's doghouse. I'm so glad she is having a really good pro hoops career, even if it's not in the WNBA...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Ah. I did not know that. Thanks! Well great for Charde - always loved her and sometimes I think she doesn't get enough love from UCONN fans because she never really reached her potential and often seemed to be in Geno's doghouse. I'm so glad she is having a really good pro hoops career, even if it's not in the WNBA...
Charde did very respectably in the WNBA, especially from 2008 to 2010 and considering she was a #30 pick in the draft. If you had been asked back in 2008 if she would survive more than a season or two let alone pile up 1797 points and 680 rebounds, you likely would have said it was improbable. Alexis Hornbuckle was picked #4 in the draft back in 2008, and Charde's Win Shares total for her career is three times higher than the ex-Vol, something for which you would have been buried in the most evil smelling abuse if you had suggested it back in April 2008 that it could ever happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom