Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not me, I have addressed only ways apply a formula or standard evenly across the board.
But there a many who just want him to make Nurse look better in the rankings. I guess for their own happiness?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But there a many who just want him to make Nurse look better in the rankings. I guess for their own happiness?
Seriously? LOL. Nope. I can't speak for everyone, but speaking for myself, I'd just like the numbers to be accurate and not a joke.

I think we can all agree Saniya Chong at 75 was as joke. Kelly Faris at 34 was a joke. And now Kia Nurse at 156 is a joke.

Reaction Score

For what it’s worth, I have no real interest in what Kia Nurse’s ranking/ratings are – a little curiosity, maybe, but I don’t pay attention; if it wasn’t for the mathematical aspect I probably would have surfed the thread and moved on.

And I certainly am not interested in making her look better; I’m pretty sure that I mentioned last night that I would also look at ignoring the “11” in something like an 11-156-157-159 as an outlier.

But like UCONNfan1, I have lived in the mathematical world and for people like me the outlier just bugs me because i know it skews the results. Those principles – recognizing and when appropriate ignoring an outlier – are present in virtually everything done by people in the mathematical/technical fields from insurance actuaries to nuclear engineers, so those of us that live in those worlds are just uncomfortable with known bad data. Sports, maybe not so much; maybe we could just put an asterisk on her ranking, kind of like baseball.

Then again, baseball probably needs a lot of asterisks these days.

But in the meantime I guess that I will celebrate signing the 156th best recruit in the country hemisphere, and know in my heart that she may be just a little better than her ranking. ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Woah. Slow down cowboy. Most of the people in this thread think it's silly to use crazy outliers for rankings. It taints the end results. I've done a lot of statistical analysis in my life and I was only adding my opinion.

I think reasonable people can certainly appreciate the effort that goes into it while still pointing out mistakes in the data being used. And it's certainly his right to use wrong data. I was just adding my voice to the cacophony. My momma always said don't bother doing something if you ain't gonna do it right. But it's not my rodeo so... :)
Sorry about that - just unloaded in reply to your post when I was really just responding to all of the previous 50 posts - should probably have just posted and not replied.

Reaction Score
Seriously? LOL. Nope. I can't speak for everyone, but speaking for myself, I'd just like the numbers to be accurate and not a joke.

I think we can all agree Saniya Chong at 75 was as joke. Kelly Faris at 34 was a joke. And now Kia Nurse at 156 is a joke.

Maybe that's how Kelly got her jersey number...I don't know what we're going to do about "156"

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"... just for truth and justice.... ranking Nurse 40 is neither truth or justice but it's probably the American way

To really be neighborly & accommodating, wouldn't you need to rate her in pure Canadian and then include the translation to Quebecois... non? ...eh?

They do not speak Quebecois in Hamilton, mon ami.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Maybe that's how Kelly got her jersey number...I don't know what we're going to do about "156"

That might make a great Boneyard nickname for her. Ol' number one fifty six. Or one-five-six. Or maybe ciento cinquenta y seis.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Seriously? .
AbsoF@#$*^lutely.

I can't speak for everyone, but speaking for myself, I'd just like the numbers to be accurate and not a joke.
No you don't. Otherwise you would be petitioning for a formulatic change for everyone. Not just getting rid of (in your opinion) one "outlier" on one player so that one player looks better so you feel better.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, I have no real interest in what Kia Nurse’s ranking/ratings are – a little curiosity, maybe, but I don’t pay attention; if it wasn’t for the mathematical aspect I probably would have surfed the thread and moved on.

And I certainly am not interested in making her look better; I’m pretty sure that I mentioned last night that I would also look at ignoring the “11” in something like an 11-156-157-159 as an outlier.

But like UCONNfan1, I have lived in the mathematical world and for people like me the outlier just bugs me because i know it skews the results. Those principles – recognizing and when appropriate ignoring an outlier – are present in virtually everything done by people in the mathematical/technical fields from insurance actuaries to nuclear engineers, so those of us that live in those worlds are just uncomfortable with known bad data.
And that's fine. Then you should know (really if you are in the mathematical world, you should know this) you just can't throw out outliers because you don't like them, or think they are outliers. You have to have a formula for determining what is an outlier and then that has to be applied to "all" the players. Not just, well we don't like this one on this player, because we like this player and want her to look better, so let's change it (ignore it).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
AbsoF@#$ ^lutely.

No you don't. Otherwise you would be petitioning for a formulatic change for everyone. Not just getting rid of (in your opinion) one "outlier" on one player so that one player looks better so you feel better.
Not speaking for Eric, but don't you see how this looks to many people to be a unique situation and not just a formulatic change for everyone?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Remember this thread when the Boneyard Annual Awards nominations are due. Think this is a slam dunk for Most Sustained Derailment of a Thread Award. ;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
And that's fine. Then you should know (really if you are in the mathematical world, you should know this) you just can't throw out outliers because you don't like them, or think they are outliers. You have to have a formula for determining what is an outlier and then that has to be applied to "all" the players. Not just, well we don't like this one on this player, because we like this player and want her to look better, so let's change it (ignore it).
If you can find ONE other player that has close to a 156 rating in one service and and in the teens in 2 other service, I might agree with you.

This is a unique situation based on her not being in the American HS system.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well, many good points here, but in the end I just want Vowel Guy to post as he sees fit. SO...for this day only, I will buy Vowel one beer for every post he makes. See if we can smoke him out.

Reaction Score
I agree, Notre Dame will be the biggest competition for more National Championships . They are going to be a big team, and having a single post is risky.
I agree John that ND is the big threat, especially two yrs from now. They're the only one team that really makes me nervous.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think we are all concerned about ND because we lost to them 3 times last year. We lost when we were injured we won big when we weren't and although ND still looks good and has a great freshman class I still like that we have some terrific guards and some game changers and you can add Saniya to that game changer list.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I absolutely agree. In Neopolitan ice cream, the chocolate needs to be in the middle.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, many good points here, but in the end I just want Vowel Guy to post as he sees fit. SO...for this day only, I will buy Vowel one beer for every post he makes. See if we can smoke him out.

He is holding his breath until he turns blue until we stop challenging his system. Hopefully he will pass out with his finger on the keyboard. I do want to see his new rankings. Even if I disagree with his handling of the very unique Nurse situation.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Dewey Beats Truman!!!

Really, who cares (I guess a lot of people) who is ranked where? The kids get to play the game and our coaches are decent judges of talent. They rarely have screwed up and more often than not UConn kids other than the obvious hs superstars make the ranking services look silly, as the WNBA rosters show.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
i havn't read the entire thread- I know how good Natalie Achonwa is. Where are comparable players ranked or rated in college or recently in the WNBA that have achieved comparable success on the Canadian National team that she has? If this info is above- i apolgoize!

Reaction Score
Dewey Beats Truman!!!

Really, who cares (I guess a lot of people) who is ranked where? The kids get to play the game and our coaches are decent judges of talent. They rarely have screwed up and more often than not UConn kids other than the obvious hs superstars make the ranking services look silly, as the WNBA rosters show.
exactly right. saniya was ranked what?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
AbsoF@#$ ^lutely.

Just stop. Stop trying to put words in my mouth or decide what I'm trying to say. Seriously, knock it off. I gave my reasons, you disagree, and continue to go on and on and on and on and on. You don't agree - I get it. You think we "only want ourselves to feel better." I guarantee you that's not the case and I've said as much. So stop trying to attribute something to my comments that do not exist.

There have been many other "rankings" that people have disagreed with. Several were extreme outliers. Saniya Chong most recently at 75 per HG. but she was 20-30 per everyone else. Kelly Faris 34 per HG but she was top 10 everywhere else. Kiah Stokes 42 per HG but she was top 15 everywhere else. But all of those crazy HG rankings pale in comparison to Nurse at 156.

It honestly makes zero difference to me what he uses for his composite rankings. It's just a number, and just like Chong at 75 was wrong, so would Kia at 156. Doesn't mean his graph isn't entertaining. It is. It's just not accurate.

But I am and will continue to be thrilled we landed Nurse. I believe she's going to be a terrific player and a starter during her UCONN career. And I love the class we landed. No matter where the experts or a UCONN fan thinks our class ranks, it's an awesome class of guards and wings and sets UCONN up to continue to dominate the WCBB world, which is really what is most exciting!

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

If you want the numbers to be accurate, my take is that you need to speak to the ratings services first, not VG.

He's explained his methodology, so you can decide if the meta-analysis is useful or not. But extrapolating from rankings generated out of data we know is sparse, observation-biased and subjective is gonna be a fool's errand no matter what methodology you apply to it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If you want the numbers to be accurate, my take is that you need to speak to the ratings services first, not VG.

He's explained his methodology, so you can decide if the meta-analysis is useful or not. But extrapolating from data we know is sparse, observation-biased and subjective is gonna be a fool's errand no matter what methodology you apply to it.
LOL :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox