Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It would be illogical for her to fly to State College; one doesn't just fly in and out of there unless you own a private jet. She probably drove (5hrs to Hamilton, Ontario). She already took an official visit to Penn State so this trip was on her dime.

How she got there was not my real point. But at least now I know how to get to Penn State...use my private jet.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
David, there are few perfect procedures. As I said, VG's work is excellent and really valuable. That does not mean that thoughts and suggestions can't be helpful or are simply negative criticism. Yes, some have been but sometimes things can be improved rather painlessly with a little thought, especially, thought outside of the box we have been thinking within. This may or may not be the case here.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ok, but that's kind of asking a bit of someone who is just compiling a bunch of numbers. On their own time, just because. Just to appease a few whiners. Don't ya think?
Nope don't think so at all. A few whiners? Whiners implies complainers who are going on about it for no reason. Pointing out flaws in a set of statistics is hardly whining, and not at all the negative connotation you implied. But your incessant posts on the subject are certainly cloying. ;)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Who doesn't?

In general, vowel and I don't really agree all that often. But you guys should know me by now, I'm not really on anybodies side all the time. I'm all about truth and the American way. :D
Well, it doesn't matter what I say about his system and how he approached the Nurse number. He has me on ignore anyway.

And I haven't whined once in this thread. I'm just for truth and justice too. And ranking Nurse 40 is neither truth or justice but it's probably the American way.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Nope don't think so at all. A few whiners? Whiners implies complainers who are going on about it for no reason. Pointing out flaws in a set of statistics is hardly whining, and not at all the negative connotation you implied. But your incessant posts on the subject are certainly cloying. ;)
Right on Eric!!! I would say that he is the one whining about his perceived whining.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
If being able to play on the perimeter is that important to Wilson then she's not likely to be a player that ultimately chooses UConn. Being successful at UConn takes a player really wanting to be there, and for the right reasons. Yes the rewards are often great, but there is a cost to be paid that players have to be committed to. If that's what Wilson wants then she'll come. If not I wish her well, but I would rather her make that decision now than find out a year from now.
Re Aja Wilson- I bet she is waiting till spring to announce because she lives and plays in Columbia South Carolina. There must be enormous local pressure to stay and catapult the Gamecock program. I bet she doesn't want to announce she is leaving So Carolina early, and have to deal with all the negative fall out for 6 mos. in the spring, she will be as good as gone from high school when she announces. This hit me like a ton of bricks. If others have posted similar thoughts, i did not see it. This is what I think anyway.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nope don't think so at all. A few whiners? Whiners implies complainers who are going on about it for no reason.
hmmm, that would pretty much describe it.

But your incessant posts on the subject are certainly cloying. ;)
Are you implying this was originally pleasant? :cool:

I take no great pleasure in HAVING to correcting wrongs. Although I take great pleasure in doing it. :D

Reaction Score
Re Aja Wilson- I bet she is waiting till spring to announce because she lives and plays in Columbia South Carolina. There must be enormous local pressure to stay and catapult the Gamecock program. I bet she doesn't want to announce she is leaving So Carolina early, and have to deal with all the negative fall out for 6 mos. in the spring, she will be as good as gone from high school when she announces. This hit me like a ton of bricks. If others have posted similar thoughts, i did not see it. This is what I think anyway.
You may be right, but it struck me this morning that she's just opening herself up to more pressure by not announcing now. Every program must still be pursuing her, and she might be getting even more pressure from the Gamecocks now than later.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, it doesn't matter what I say about his system and how he approached the Nurse number. He has me on ignore anyway.
To his detriment if you ask me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Possible. iirc there was another recruit recently who took some schtick her senior year because she chose UCONN over the local (in state) college.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
You may be right, but it struck me this morning that she's just opening herself up to more pressure by not announcing now. Every program must still be pursuing her, and she might be getting even more pressure from the Gamecocks now than later.
Normally - what you would be right- make the decision and get everyone off your back. When/if she makes the decision to leave, I think the aftermath may be the better choice than a few programs wating for their answer.. Obviously I could be wrong!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Normally - what you would be right- make the decision and get everyone off your back. When/if she makes the decision to leave, I think the aftermath may be the better choice than a few programs wating for their answer.. Obviously I could be wrong!
I really think A'ja is just still unsure and doesn't want to be rushed into probably the biggest decision of her life to date. She spent a fair amount of her time this summer with USA basketball and she doesn't want to be distracted heading into her season this fall. The family seems to be deliberative and while fans and coaches may want a quick decision, she is being old school - they do still call the fall period the EARLY signing period. Not that long ago she would have been in the majority waiting till spring.

Reaction Score
So next season we will have MoJet, Saniya, BB, Nurse, Williams, Edwards and Ekmark. And the year after, we are after Durr and Cole and Gorecki. That is a BUNCH of guards!

Geno always loves his guards in the NCAA... but this is crazy! Can we get "A" BIG???

T

TroyHouse66

"... just for truth and justice.... ranking Nurse 40 is neither truth or justice but it's probably the American way."

Now when you lads are citing this "American Way" of doing things, do you mean "American" or do you mean the "United States-er" way of doing it... eh?
Sometimes those boys (down South of Minnie-zotah) have a somewhat geocentric take on realities...
Or could the difference be in the exchange rate between the Geo.Washington dollar and the good-old Maple leaf variety... Or perhaps an intrinsic conversion ratio between the "English" system [which, realistically, probably ended in 1789 (down South)] and the good-old Metric system... eh?
To really be neighborly & accommodating, wouldn't you need to rate her in pure Canadian and then include the translation to Quebecois... non? ...eh?
Seriously...
Kia Nurse and UConn appear to be on a mutually harmonious road.
UConn and Geno desire intrinsically motivated, team oriented, high IQ, athletes to learn and polish their skills at the highest level of basketball.
Kia, by all accounts, wants to develop herself to the maximum level possible... and then push her Canadian National team to the utmost plateau of International competition.
These goals are far from exclusive of each other.
[Come sit by the Master, KN, and enjoy the warm weather in Storrs ,under our glorious Sugar Maples]

U

UCONNfan1

Count me among the people who think it makes zero sense to use statistical outliers that render the numerical results skewed. I realize one should use the available data, but it needs to be relevant data. I'm sure everyone enjoys the results that he works on, but it's enjoyed so much more if it's actually accurate.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Possible. iirc there was another recruit recently who took some schtick her senior year because she chose UCONN over the local (in state) college.
this just seams very logical and/or plausible to me. Because I don't think there is an indication that she has Diva like tendencies - and is trying to create alot of drama, like another certain type of person might do. From all I have heard she is supposed to be a super individual!

Reaction Score
Geno always loves his guards in the NCAA... but this is crazy! Can we get "A" BIG???

I agree, Notre Dame will be the biggest competition for more National Championships . They are going to be a big team, and having a single post is risky.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Count me among the people who think it makes zero sense to use statistical outliers that render the numerical results skewed. I realize one should use the available data, but it needs to be relevant data. I'm sure everyone enjoys the results that he works on, but it's enjoyed so much more if it's actually accurate.
So... what happens when someone signs the next Sveta who has no ranking in any of the services? And what about the service that ranks one of our girls outside the top 50 when everyone else has her in the teens/twenties, etc. etc.
If you don't like the methodology VG uses - don't open his threads.
I care passionately about what happens on the basketball court, I get annoyed when someone disses a Uconn team or a Uconn player in a poll or award vote, I use recruit rankings to get a relative picture of a bunch of kids I have not seen play a minute of basketball, and I judge Uconn recruiting by the fact that Geno wants them and either gets them or doesn't. I enjoy looking at the relative value of different school's recruiting classes, but the real proof is what happens over the next four years and that gets back to what I am passionate about - the game being played when Uconn takes the court.
VG gives me a more balanced look, taking some of the wild swings out of individual recruit rankings - but I don't actually care if we win first place or come in fourth in this mythic class ranking - it doesn't add one more rebound or steal or block or basket or assist to the product I care about.

U

UCONNfan1

So... what happens when someone signs the next Sveta who has no ranking in any of the services? And what about the service that ranks one of our girls outside the top 50 when everyone else has her in the teens/twenties, etc. etc.
If you don't like the methodology VG uses - don't open his threads.
I care passionately about what happens on the basketball court, I get annoyed when someone disses a Uconn team or a Uconn player in a poll or award vote, I use recruit rankings to get a relative picture of a bunch of kids I have not seen play a minute of basketball, and I judge Uconn recruiting by the fact that Geno wants them and either gets them or doesn't. I enjoy looking at the relative value of different school's recruiting classes, but the real proof is what happens over the next four years and that gets back to what I am passionate about - the game being played when Uconn takes the court.
VG gives me a more balanced look, taking some of the wild swings out of individual recruit rankings - but I don't actually care if we win first place or come in fourth in this mythic class ranking - it doesn't add one more rebound or steal or block or basket or assist to the product I care about.
Woah. Slow down cowboy. Most of the people in this thread think it's silly to use crazy outliers for rankings. It taints the end results. I've done a lot of statistical analysis in my life and I was only adding my opinion.

I think reasonable people can certainly appreciate the effort that goes into it while still pointing out mistakes in the data being used. And it's certainly his right to use wrong data. I was just adding my voice to the cacophony. My momma always said don't bother doing something if you ain't gonna do it right. But it's not my rodeo so... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger