Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't follow recruiting on the women's side as much as the men's: is that Wiggins comparison legit?

I don't know if I'd go that far, but she was a starter for the Canadian Sr Nat'l Team as a 17-year-old and more than held her own.

She's a big guard who is fast, can handle the ball, can shoot, is fearless and a tenacious defender. UConn fans will love her.

I think the comparison by a Canadian recruiting site is that she is comparable to Wiggins because she is an elite US college bound prospect who also happens to be Canadian (Wiggins is Canadian as well).

Regardless, it would be a great get if the case...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 6m
Recruiting source says @KayNurse11 will attend Sunday's game between #UConnwomen and Penn State and those are here final two

Source says there is no way to tell whether a commitment to either school is coming after the game. #UConnwomen

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 5m
All other recruiting trips for @KayNurse11 apparently are off. So Sunday may be it for her #UConnwomen

[URL='https://twitter.com/jaltavilla']John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 5m
Dejanae Boykin, Class of 2015 recruit for #UConnwomen, attended Friday's game in Maryland
[/URL]

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Recruiting source says @KayNurse11 will attend Sunday's game between #UConnwomen and Penn State and those are here final two

Source says there is no way to tell whether a commitment to either school is coming after the game. #UConnwomen

All other recruiting trips for @KayNurse11 apparently are off. So Sunday may be it for her #UConnwomen

Dejanae Boykin, Class of 2015 recruit for #UConnwomen, attended Friday's game in Maryland

Interesting. I wonder where the the toronto-based site got its information that she committed to UConn.

I'm not sure Penn State has signed any 2014 recruits after signing a large 2013. Nurse would face less competition for playing time at Penn State but there's just no comparison when it comes to coaching and teammate talent.

Reaction Score
At 1;37 p.m. today (less than an hour ago), I posted that "I expect an announcement momentarily." What took them so long?:rolleyes:
They should not make a veteran wait like that!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One way to assess Kia is how she did on the Canadian team relative to a player we are more familiar with: Natalie Achonwa. Because they play different positions, it's not a perfect measure, obviously. But I think Kia's performance and stats were at least comparable to Natalie's. And she's 4 years younger. She sounds damn good to me. And has very athletic genes.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One way to assess Kia is how she did on the Canadian team relative to a player we are more familiar with: Natalie Achonwa. Because they play different positions, it's not a perfect measure, obviously. But I think Kia's performance and stats were at least comparable to Natalie's. And she's 4 years younger. She sounds damn good to me. And has very athletic genes.
I was thinking the same thing. She's a starter on the Canadian National Team, as a junior/senior in high school. Granted Canada does not have near the talent of the US National Team (or even Australia or Russia), but that's damn impressive for sure. Silky smooth jumper, hard nosed defender... what's not to love?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Penn State has signed any 2014 recruits after signing a large 2013. Nurse would face less competition for playing time at Penn State but there's just no comparison when it comes to coaching and teammate talent.

Correct no 2014. But they have 7 frosh.

Reaction Score
With Nurse as a 5-star from PN, that moves her up to #40.

She'd be 14-11-11-156-NR.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
With Nurse as a 5-star from PN, that moves her up to #40.

She'd be 14-11-11-156-NR.
In other words, a top 15 recruit... I'm not sure you can really count the 156 nor the "not ranked"...

Reaction Score
In other words, a top 15 recruit... I'm not sure you can really count the 156 nor the "not ranked"...

I don't make subjective decisions about how to evaluate the various rankings. They are what they are, and I treat them equally.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't make subjective decisions about how to evaluate the various rankings. They are what they are, and I treat them equally.
No one's asking you to make a subjective decision. But when you have one service who apparently didn't rank her because she's from Canada, and another who for whatever reason has a whacked ranking for her, it will taint your results the opposite way. You use what you want for your "rankings". I will make one that puts her as #1 and that will be more accurate than a composite that includes two outliers that are not valid.

The same goes for teams who land JUCO transfers. Some of them end up being terrific (Danielle Adams), but if you "don't count them" in your rankings because they weren't on the list of the normal services, then your list is tainted.

So my point is when you come up with some kind of composite for her as the 77th ranked player in her class because you have her as 150 + over 200 + 11 + 11 + 14, all divided by 5, then it makes your list kinda pointless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one's asking you to make a subjective decision. But when you have one service who apparently didn't rank her because she's from Canada, and another who for whatever reason has a whacked ranking for her, it will taint your results the opposite way. You use what you want for your "rankings". I will make one that puts her as #1 and that will be more accurate than a composite that includes two outliers that are not valid.

The same goes for teams who land JUCO transfers. Some of them end up being terrific (Danielle Adams), but if you "don't count them" in your rankings because they weren't on the list of the normal services, then your list is tainted.

"another who for whatever reason has a whacked ranking for her".
Subjective.

I put in a tremendous of personal time to track all the services as best I can, create a fair system, and update it on nearly a daily basis. You dont like it? Make your own damn rankings.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Subjective.

I put in a tremendous of personal time to track all the services as best I can, create a fair system, and update it on nearly a daily basis. You dont like it? Make your own damn rankings.
Well if you are going to put that much time into it I'd think you'd want it as accurate as possible. My mistake.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It might help to create some adjustment similar to the old Olympic scoring or tossing out scores high and low or adjustments for standard deviation.
Far too logical. ;)

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
There are a number of high powered statistical analyses(inferential stats, parametric and non parametric) that do exactly as Ice suggests.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There are a number of high powered statistical analyses(inferential stats, parametric and non parametric) that do exactly as Ice suggests.
Vowelguy gets pretty testy. But not at me!!!! I like that he ignores me.

It certainly doesn't make sense in regards to his ranking of Nurse. And if it's not accurate, what good is it?

Nurse should be in the top 15 if he really wanted his list to be accurate. But he is way too stubborn to admit that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Subjective.

But, but, but ... I thought you were a UCONN fan ...
You mean there isn't like an automatic super secret double hush bias built into these rankings???!!! What good are they if they don't help Husky Nation achieve world domination in the mythical race for the best recruiting class each year?:confused: :cool:

On a serious note - I appreciate the effort that you put in and the information it spews out. In the amazingly subjective world of HS rankings you achieve something that balances the worst excesses. I understand why you don't adjust input data regardless of the logical arguments that could be made. The idea of kicking out outliers across the board is fine but it doesn't address this situation either as you would end with the same problem seeing as their are two outliers at the top end, only one of which would get dropped.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But, but, but ... I thought you were a UCONN fan ...
You mean there isn't like an automatic super secret double hush bias built into these rankings???!!! What good are they if they don't help Husky Nation achieve world domination in the mythical race for the best recruiting class each year?:confused: :cool:

On a serious note - I appreciate the effort that you put in and the information it spews out. In the amazingly subjective world of HS rankings you achieve something that balances the worst excesses. I understand why you don't adjust input data regardless of the logical arguments that could be made. The idea of kicking out outliers across the board is fine but it doesn't address this situation either as you would end with the same problem seeing as their are two outliers at the top end, only one of which would get dropped.

One outlier and one not ranked which may simply mean we don't know who you talking about or we only cover the US athletes in which case it should bear no weighting at all.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One outlier and one not ranked which may simply mean we don't know who you talking about or we only cover the US athletes in which case it should bear no weighting at all.
That was kind of my point. I did not mean to be snarky about it, but if someone spends as much time on this as he says he does, I'd think he'd want it to be at least relevant. Ranking Kia 40 or 50 or 60 because she's ranked 150+ by one service and unranked by another skews the entire list. She's clearly a top recruit and if one wants any kind of accuracy in spending so much time on something, it should be accounted for...

It's one thing if you are looking at a kid who is just inside the top 100 and someone has her unranked, but most logical people would agree she's not the 156th best player in her class...

Anyway having said all that I sincerely hope we land her. She's clearly a great talent. I still find it amusing how Tennessee fans thing if we land her, it takes us out of the Durr sweepstakes. That's as dumb as saying we had no shot at Jefferson because we already had Hartley.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I wanted to be the 100th person in this thread so I can post a classic song by Gregory Issac...Night Nurse.

Cheers to all who listen to this great great song.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I really cant take all the rankings seriously after seeing Saniya and she IMO was top 5 . Now I hear out of NYC that Nurse is really really good. Top 15 I believe maybe better. Lets face it when Geno gets ahold of her she will be a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom