Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 97 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yeah, looks like Houston has a friend in WVU. If this does happen, then Flugs' BTM gains some credence. I think he tweeted out over a year ago that Houston would be added because of intense pressure from within Texas.

If OU gets leapfrogged by a 1 loss B1G team (i.e. if Iowa loses a close game this weekend but retains its spot), then I think the B12 has their candidates lined up and ready to go. Houston and Cincinnati are probably gone by the end of the year.
No way Iowa survives a loss, they managed not to play anyone in the B1G this year. One does wonder about all these schools who build/renovate football stadiums with an eye on the future.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
One does wonder about all these schools who build/renovate football stadiums with an eye on the future.

Yup. Look at the brief history.

Rutgers - expanded from 40K to 55K. Invited to the Big 10 shortly after.
Louisville - expanded from 42K to 55K (begun during the lowly Kragthorpe era!). Invited to the ACC shortly after.
Cincinnati - expanded to 40K with added luxury suites this season.
Houston - brand new stadium, looks easily expandable.

UConn - still awaiting the 30 year-long study by the CDA to determine if the XL Center needs renovations. Jeff Hathaway wanted to sell out the Rent on a season ticket basis before expanding. Opportunities missed.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Louisville - expanded from 42K to 55K (begun during the lowly Kragthorpe era!). Invited to the ACC shortly after.

UConn - still awaiting the 30 year-long study by the CDA to determine if the XL Center needs renovations. Jeff Hathaway wanted to sell out the Rent on a season ticket basis before expanding. Opportunities missed.
All anyone has to indicate is "we like you except for stadium capacity" and it would gain momentum- I'm not sure expansion is a hard prerequisite. Could even have an expansion done prior to league play.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All anyone has to indicate is "we like you except for stadium capacity" and it would gain momentum- I'm not sure expansion is a hard prerequisite. Could even have an expansion done prior to league play.

The construction aspect? Absolutely.

The red tape and permitting? Someone high up at the state level would have to a constant force of inertia to get it done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ah the key tweets thread...I'm all like KEY TWEET!...and then ....oh.

tumblr_inline_mu9roehW7S1rc3mra.gif

Reaction Score

To add onto this...
Cincinnati - AD just got an extension (his primary job was to get UC in a power-5 conference - he said so in his first speech)
- Just approved a basketball arena renovation
Houston - Herman re-ups making #1 paid G5 coach (probably not-coincidentally passing Tommy Tuberville)

Memphis - Fuente leaves possibly signaling they're out of the Big 12 race.

CL82

Reaction Score
How do you figure this?

The amount of money that sports channels have charged inside of CT for UConn tier 3 rights dwarfs what the BTN charges in the heart of Rutgers and PSU territory.

This feels wrong to me @upstater. Do you have the math handy?

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To add onto this...
Cincinnati - AD just got an extension (his primary job was to get UC in a power-5 conference - he said so in his first speech)

Compare and contrast, the AD that took over for Hathaway didn't mention CR at all.

Reaction Score
This feels wrong to me @upstater. Do you have the math handy?

No, it's not handy. It's just from memory. They charge under a dollar a month in Eastern PA. Until last year, they only charged 35 cents. The SNY deal jumped over $1 dollar when they signed up UConn. It was around $2.60 a month. And, even more importantly, SNY landed on Basic cable across the state. You won't find BTN on Basic cable.

Inside Conn., UConn is really a big draw.

CL82

Reaction Score
No, it's not handy. It's just from memory. They charge under a dollar a month in Eastern PA. Until last year, they only charged 35 cents. The SNY deal jumped over $1 dollar when they signed up UConn. It was around $2.60 a month. And, even more importantly, SNY landed on Basic cable across the state. You won't find BTN on Basic cable.

Inside Conn., UConn is really a big draw.
Agree as to UConn value in the CT.

I did a quick search and found this, which seems to back up your numbers.

MYTH: Big Ten Network is the second most expensive network behind ESPN.
FACT: The license fee the Big Ten is charging cable operators ranks 30th out of 39 regional sports networks tracked by Kagan Research, a well-respected industry source. Regional sports networks such as Comcast SportsNet Northwest, Philadelphia, Mid-Atlantic and Chicago cost double the Big Ten Network’s fees in the region. Outside the Big Ten’s eight-state footprint, Kagan ranks the network’s cost of about a dime at 84th out of 159 national networks. Kagan estimates that the average monthly license fee per subscriber for larger operators such as Comcast, Time Warner and Charter which have subscribers both inside and outside the eight states is 27 cents.

A different number here, however:

Network Subscriber Fee (monthly) Number of homes (thousands) Annual Revenue (millions)
ESPN $6.61 91,772 $7,279
ESPN2 $0.83 91,679 $913
ESPNU $0.22 71,445 $188
Fox Sports 1 $0.99 84,434 $1,003
Fox Sports 2 $0.28 47,827 $161
NBC Sports Network $0.30 83,623 $301
CBS Sports Network $0.26 61,000 $190
NFL Network $1.31 69,032 $1,085
MLB Network $0.26 66,564 $208
NBA TV $0.29 53,933 $188
NHL TV $0.32 37,400 $144
Big Ten Network $0.39* 79,250 $371
Pac-12 Network $0.39 12,300 $58
SEC Network $0.66* 69,100 $547
Golf Channel $0.35 77,077 $324

* – Numbers for Big Ten Network and SEC Network are estimated based on homes inside and outside of conference territories. Homes within Big Ten states, including New York and Maryland, pay $1.00/month for BTN. Homes within SEC states pay $1.30/month for SECN.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Dana Holgorsen says he wants east-west, six team divisions in the Big 12.

“So I think you need to do what everybody else is doing, add two, have an East and a West division, and then you’re not playing everybody every year. If everybody else is going to play eight conference games, we should probably play eight conference games and then play four non-conference games that are regional.”

“I think we need to go get a couple more in this area — whether it’s UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Central Florida or South Florida,” said Holgorsen. “I don’t need to be the expert on who, but I think we need to add two.”

You are learning...bring us stories that cast UConn in a good light, get likes.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The SEC and the B1G, also by extension the P12 now understand the advantages of a CCG, vis a vis the CFP. If the CFP committee cooperates, the B1G is going to get 3 NY6 bids with the ACC and B12 consistently on the outside looking in without a strong or undisputed champion.

Why would the other three want to change that when it will cost them a lot of money?

All three would benefit by another round of CR.

Things to watch for,

MSU beating Iowa and claiming the B1G playoff berth.
The committee slotting Iowa high enough to make them NY6 at large eligible.
The Rose Bowl being a good enough B1G partner to select Iowa.

...so that Ohio State is available for a cinch NY6 at large berth.

There is nothing simple or above board about anything related to college football.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The SEC and the B1G, also by extension the P12 now understand the advantages of a CCG, vis a vis the CFP. If the CFP committee cooperates, the B1G is going to get 3 NY6 bids with the ACC and B12 consistently on the outside looking in without a strong or undisputed champion.

Why would the other three want to change that when it will cost them a lot of money?

All three would benefit by another round of CR.

Things to watch for,

MSU beating Iowa and claiming the B1G playoff berth.
The committee slotting Iowa high enough to make them NY6 at large eligible.
The Rose Bowl being a good enough B1G partner to select Iowa.

...so that Ohio State is available for a cinch NY6 at large berth.

There is nothing simple or above board about anything related to college football.

A Big10'team will be in the Rose Bowl this year. Contractually, the Rose Bowl will take another Big10 team this year if a Big10 team makes the playoff. The big controversy is whether the Rose Bowl will take the loser of the Big10 championship game or OSU.

Reaction Score
This maybe the equivalent of waving a red flag at an angry bull. The B1G could easily retaliate by raiding their prize possessions (UVA, Oklahoma, etc.).

When will people learn that a conference can't poach a school that doesn't want to move? I mean sure, those schools very well may leave but I get tired of reading this idea that the B1G an just go in and take who they want. If that were the case, wouldn't they have taken those schools instead of Maryland and Rutgers to begin with? Or WITH Maryland and Rutgers and get while the getting was good?

Reaction Score
When will people learn that a conference can't poach a school that doesn't want to move? I mean sure, those schools very well may leave but I get tired of reading this idea that the B1G an just go in and take who they want. If that were the case, wouldn't they have taken those schools instead of Maryland and Rutgers to begin with? Or WITH Maryland and Rutgers and get while the getting was good?

Rutgers = big TV $$$$
Unless you're saying these schools like making $20million less a year, someone is going to move to the B1G. I mean, the money says so, doesn't it? Put it this way: Rutgers is soon going to make $20m more in TV money than North Carolina.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
dayooper said:
A Big10'team will be in the Rose Bowl this year. Contractually, the Rose Bowl will take another Big10 team this year if a Big10 team makes the playoff. The big controversy is whether the Rose Bowl will take the loser of the Big10 championship game or OSU.

I know. Iowa won't be getting an at large NY6. Ohio State would. Ergo, if the Rose Bowl would do the B1G pocketbook a solid by selecting Iowa, when they would prefer OSU, that's a good partner helping another exploit an opportunity.

Assuming the committee also sees this and drops Iowa far enough so that can't happen. Which when if comes to placing NY6 teams might be a problem for the other conference reps. Esp. If ND has locked up one.

Reaction Score
Rutgers = big TV $$$$
Unless you're saying these schools like making $20million less a year, someone is going to move to the B1G. I mean, the money says so, doesn't it? Put it this way: Rutgers is soon going to make $20m more in TV money than North Carolina.

Exactly, the GOR is a challenge; but, nothing that some good lawyers and a lot of money, say the $20 million a year difference between two school making can't overcome. Especially in the B1G's case as they offer a lot more than just football TV money, access to their academic network, i.e. CIC, is a huge benefit in the eyes of many university presidents, especially at the more academically oriented schools like UVA.

Reaction Score

It's not really much of a controversy. I think everyone knows they'll take Ohio State. The chance to have an OSU-Stanford match-up is one the Rose Bowl will absolutely not pass up.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It's not really much of a controversy. I think everyone knows they'll take Ohio State. The chance to have an OSU-Stanford match-up is one the Rose Bowl will absolutely not pass up.

Absolutely. The controversy is whether the loser of the conference championship game should be punished by playing the extra game. Iowa was undefeated and lost the CCG in the last 27 seconds to another one loss team. I understand the business aspect of the situation and if I were a TV exectutive, I would choose the same. That being said, it's pretty lousy that Iowa, who was the champion of their division, would get left out of their traditional prize. It's not like Iowa fans wouldn't swarm Pasadena. They would buy tickets in droves. They would spend the bank to go and live it up.

That has been talk here in Southeast Michigan since that report came out last week.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. The controversy is whether the loser of the conference championship game should be punished by playing the extra game. Iowa was undefeated and lost the CCG in the last 27 seconds to another one loss team. I understand the business aspect of the situation and if I were a TV exectutive, I would choose the same. That being said, it's pretty lousy that Iowa, who was the champion of their division, would get left out of their traditional prize. It's not like Iowa fans wouldn't swarm Pasadena. They would buy tickets in droves. They would spend the bank to go and live it up.

That has been talk here in Southeast Michigan since that report came out last week.

Major college football stopped being about the players and fans years ago, it's a business now and it's all about the money.

Reaction Score

I see what you're saying, but Ohio State also has one loss, to the same team, by the same margin, and they're ranked higher in the RPI. Iowa won the weaker division of the B1G and managed to avoid any of the top B1G East teams until they played Sparty in the CCG.

Reaction Score
I'm going to resort to Plan B.

This thread is for key tweets, whatever those are.

If you don't understand that, you'll soon find yourself unable to even read it.

Sorry fishy. I personally forgot this was key tweets thread and not non-key tweets. The non-key tweets has devolved so much from even non-key tweets, it felt like the non-key thread. I'm guilty of being partly responsible for this degenerated discussion lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom