Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 99 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Three things have become clear over the past few months.

1. B12 expansion appears to be realistic...far more so than the B1G or ACC.

2. UConn is actually a legitimate candidate for B12 expansion. I'll never count on it happening until everything's finalized, but we've heard too many whispers from too many different sources for it to be random.

3. Brett McMurphy said awhile back that the B12 will not expand west, and it looks like he's gonna be right yet again.

pj

Reaction Score
If the B12 decides to create divisions, then it's not a bad solution for them to create a north division with Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, West Virginia, and two northeastern teams.

If the function of divisions is to select two teams for a football championship game, why would Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU want to fight each other for one spot while letting the likes of Kansas State and West Virginia have an easy path to the championship game?

Also, why would the northern teams want to give up the opportunity to play in Texas for recruiting purposes?

I'd expect a different split, more like:

Texas - Texas Tech - Oklahoma State - Kansas - West Virginia - UConn
Baylor - TCU - Oklahoma - Kansas State - Iowa State - Cincinnati

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If the function of divisions is to select two teams for a football championship game, why would Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU want to fight each other for one spot while letting the likes of Kansas State and West Virginia have an easy path to the championship game?

Also, why would the northern teams want to give up the opportunity to play in Texas for recruiting purposes?

I would agree that the football power programs would want to be equally dispensed. I think it will come down to which schools find playing out east important. What I mean, you play out east and give far more exposure for your program into new (for the B12), untapped markets. Suddenly, it opens up northeast recruiting grounds like NJ, PA and OH. For some schools with their own network (ahem), expanding the market base would be very important.

I think Texas is obvious as they would want an eastern presence for the LHN, so I agree with putting them with WVU, Cinci and UConn. Would OU want to go with them to protect the Red River? I think that we have a pretty good relationship with Baylor - maybe they wouldn't mind coming out east. I think a more natural fit would be Kansas as it's a bit more north than some of the conference counterparts.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, WVU, Cinci, UConn
Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Kansas St, Iowa St

1 protected rivalry game.
1 cross-division game on a rotation basis.

Championship Game in JerryWorld.

Obviously the divisions are for football only. Everybody would play each other on a home and home basis in hoops.

Reaction Score
I would agree that the football power programs would want to be equally dispensed. I think it will come down to which schools find playing out east important. What I mean, you play out east and give far more exposure for your program into new (for the B12), untapped markets. Suddenly, it opens up northeast recruiting grounds like NJ, PA and OH. For some schools with their own network (ahem), expanding the market base would be very important.

I think Texas is obvious as they would want an eastern presence for the LHN, so I agree with putting them with WVU, Cinci and UConn. Would OU want to go with them to protect the Red River? I think that we have a pretty good relationship with Baylor - maybe they wouldn't mind coming out east. I think a more natural fit would be Kansas as it's a bit more north than some of the conference counterparts.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, WVU, Cinci, UConn
Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Kansas St, Iowa St

1 protected rivalry game.
1 cross-division game on a rotation basis.

Championship Game in JerryWorld.

Obviously the divisions are for football only. Everybody would play each other on a home and home basis in hoops.
I have Fios and I'm in the Westchester/Fairfield County programming market LHN is on Ch 320 and available on On-Demand.

Reaction Score

An excellent question. I would imagine - over the next few years - that the presumptive nominee for the playoff would come from the south division, and the championship game would serve to bolster that team's credentials for the playoff. Imagine Texas/UConn or Oklahoma/Kansas as the B12 Championship game.

Reaction Score
I would think that the b12 would like to see a Texas-Oklahoma in the championship game every year.
Yeah, but they'd rather not have a championship game to begin with and if they can create divisions that are essentially acting like no championship game in the short term then they get their wish sort of.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Oof, How is this even a conference? No wonder ESPN thought the LHN was better idea than a B12 network. And no way UT and OU end up in separate divisions. Too many other schools will want to play them as much as possible. As a dedicated rival in a 5-2-1 conference schedule, the other miss out more than every other year. There is also a geography problem, in Texas. Schools want to be present in all the major areas of the state. If UT is the only Texas school in its division, then that doesn't happen.

UT, OU, TCU. KU, Iowa St, Expansion Team 1 (UConn/BYU)
OKST, Baylor, TT, KSU, WVU, Expansion Team 1 (Cincy)

You could flip TT and TCU if you are worried about balanced divisions, but UT and OU will want to play in Dallas every year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Three things have become clear over the past few months.

1. B12 expansion appears to be realistic...far more so than the B1G or ACC.

2. UConn is actually a legitimate candidate for B12 expansion. I'll never count on it happening until everything's finalized, but we've heard too many whispers from too many different sources for it to be random.

3. Brett McMurphy said awhile back that the B12 will not expand west, and it looks like he's gonna be right yet again.
UCF/USF haven't been mentioned much lately, which has me worried. Rule #1...

Reaction Score
At least UConn is back in the discussion .
I never thought the B12 was a realistic destination but this talk certainly doesn't hurt our chances. In a scenario were it looks like another conference might take you ,you've automatically improved your appeal to other P5 conferences. Defense is as key a component in strategy as offense.
I always viewed defense as UConn's best leverage.
"We might not necessarily be enthusiastic about you but we are certainly enthusiastic about you not being a part of our competition."
I'm hoping the ACC or the B1G don't want another major player on their turf.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Dude you're way too plugged in lol.
I read about it on the Cincinatti board, so I thought I would tune in. :)

He didn't say anything new. As someone else said, we know more about realignment than these guys. He said that Cincinnati and BYU are the leading candidates. He said that those are the schools that have been visited the most by the expansion committee. He did not mention UConn. He said that if the regulation is voted against on January 15, that expansion would happen quickly. He said that this is the best chance for Cincinnati to get in a Power 5 conference.

Reaction Score
It seems like if UConn would only consider a B12 offer if they think the B1G and ACC aren't possible.

It seems crazy. Does the B12 really think they can develop an east coast presence or care? I would think they go Cincy and either Houston or Memphis.

Reaction Score
It seems like if UConn would only consider a B12 offer if they think the B1G and ACC aren't possible.

It seems crazy. Does the B12 really think they can develop an east coast presence or care? I would think they go Cincy and either Houston or Memphis.
You have to take the life raft when it shows up...the ACC and B1G boats may be off in the distance..but are they going to show up or just watch you drown.

Reaction Score
Let's see the B12 territory amounts to about 18,000,ooo eyeballs.
UConn offers a chance to get you into a market that at least doubles that.
Houston adds 0
Cinn. & Memphis a couple of million each
If you have a long term objective to actually be a viable conference with your own network why woulln't you strongly consider the only State Flagship who can deliver a portion of that audience.
We actually do more for the B12 than anyone with the possible exception of the BYU contingent.
The B1G took Rutgers for the same reason we should be taken seriously for the B12

Reaction Score

A. UConn doesn't have a choice in the matter. They will take the first P5 invite that comes their way and if that's the Big12 than we accept it without hesitation.

B. We are currently in a league with Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Memphis, ECU, and 2 directional Florida schools. How exactly does it seem crazy to be in a conference with Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, Kansas, etc?

Maybe I am biased but I just don't see the appeal of Cincinnati. If they played Ohio State in Cincy how much of the crowd is rooting for the Buckeyes? 60% 70%? If you are not a flagship school of that state I just don't see why you are an attractive option.

I would take BYU and UConn in a heartbeat of the options.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm putting this here..if you think it's Non-Key I'll move it:
This guy is a sports writer for BCSNN (Best College Sports News Network) and covers the B-12 here is his Blog ( http://www.bcsnn.com/big-xii.html )

C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox 41m41 minutes ago
As much as Bronco Mendenhall said BYU needed to be in a P5 to have any national title hopes, his leaving proved the Big 12 has passed on BYU

Reaction Score
I'm putting this here..if you think it's Non-Key I'll move it:
This guy is a sports writer for BCSNN (Best College Sports News Network) and covers the B-12 here is his Blog ( http://www.bcsnn.com/big-xii.html )

C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox 41m41 minutes ago
As much as Bronco Mendenhall said BYU needed to be in a P5 to have any national title hopes, his leaving proved the Big 12 has passed on BYU

Hmm, I thought it was weird that he'd leave BYU for what feels like a step-down of a job, but I hadn't even considered that as a possibility. Not sure I buy it, but it does provide some logic to what still seemed like a poor career choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom