Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 712 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Disagree. It helps expand for all existing ACC members. Nebraska lost its recruiting ways moving from the B12 to the B1G- Texas gone/program down.
This is the recruiting myth about Nebraska. Nebraska was in the Big 8 until 1996 and the Big 8 had no presence in Texas as it was made up of: Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Kansas, Kansas St., Missouri, Colorado, Iowa St. I looked at Nebraska's roster from 1994 when they were in the Big 8, went 13-0, beat Miami in the Orange Bowl, and ended up ranked #1. By far, most of the players were from Nebraska, but the other states most represented on the roster:

California 12
New Jersey 6
Texas 6
Florida 5

And, in general, few of the top players in Nebraska history are from Texas except Turner Gill.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is the recruiting myth about Nebraska. Nebraska was in the Big 8 until 1996 and the Big 8 had no presence in Texas as it was made up of: Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Kansas, Kansas St., Missouri, Colorado, Iowa St. I looked at Nebraska's roster from 1994 when they were in the Big 8, went 13-0, beat Miami in the Orange Bowl, and ended up ranked #1. By far, most of the players were from Nebraska, but the other states most represented on the roster:

California 12
New Jersey 6
Texas 6
Florida 5

And, in general, few of the top players in Nebraska history are from Texas except Turner Gill.
Fine. Texas has no value in recruiting.

Reaction Score
Iowa ST confirmed UConn was part of the plan, and then it wasn't on that Friday morning. I suspect the 3 corner schools forced themselves in as a package.

Reaction Score

I didn't say don't recruit Texas. What I said was Texas was not a big recruiting ground for Nebraska when they were in the Big 8 and not playing in Texas and when they were winning championships. Nebraska was recruiting nationally due to their success.

I still remember Nebraska recruiting Doug DuBose from Montville High in Oakdale and he had two 1,000 yard seasons for the Cornhuskers.

Reaction Score
Iowa ST confirmed UConn was part of the plan, and then it wasn't on that Friday morning. I suspect the 3 corner schools forced themselves in as a package.

Which of course means Arizona was really the plan. The Big 12 didn't have to accept the package deal.

Reaction Score
It’s never polite to tell the backup patsy they were the backup patsy, even after it’s over. The Big XII went after Colorado with the desire to destabilize the PAC when it was at its most vulnerable. UConn was a means to an end, and only became the end if everything else failed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes but The Gulf of Mexico (GOM) is a marginal sea of the Atlantic Ocean
Thus your reference to Houston being on the Atlantic ocean was only "marginally" correct.

Reaction Score
The B1G should buy the PAC-12 monicker "Conference of Champions" since the B1G is now the leader in overall national championships across all sports by bringing in the USC and UCLA titles.

Reaction Score
That's a shame. The MWC should at least buy the PAC name if not its obligations
Actually the PAC should buy the MW and still be the PAC
if you
Keep a playoff spot
Keep the $80million. Playoff distribution
Get a bump up on the MW media deal
Add Gonzaga as a BB only
Still call yourself P5

Stanford can buyout the MW with. a phone call.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually the PAC should buy the MW and still be the PAC
if you
Keep a playoff spot
Keep the $80million. Playoff distribution
Get a bump up on the MW media deal
Add Gonzaga as a BB only
Still call yourself P5

Stanford can buyout the MW with. a phone call.
Yeah I don't see the point of a merger when you can just offer whichever of the mountain west schools do you want to join the PAC-4.

Reaction Score
I think Stanford would rather pay the BigEast 5 million per a school than join that mosh of teams. At least BE is a top bb conference men’s and women’s. There other sports the can put wherever usc and UCLA are. I don’t think Big has women’s beach volleyball.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't see the point of a merger when you can just offer whichever of the mountain west schools do you want to join the PAC-4.
Because they have no media deal and the MWC penalty for premature withdrawal is $34 million. Right? I doubt there would be takers.

Reaction Score
Canzano: Could Oliver Luck help save the Pac-4?
Remaining four schools have hired Luck to consult.

JOHN CANZANO
AUG 11

In the course of trying to figure out what comes next for Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford and Cal, I learned something interesting.
Oliver Luck is on the scene.
He’s been hired as a consultant.

The 63-year-old has held a variety of positions in his career: NCAA executive, college athletic director, NFL quarterback and commissioner of the XFL, among them. He has four children, three of whom attended Stanford (including Andrew).

Luck declined comment for this piece but I’m told by sources that he’s been hired to serve the Pac-4 schools in an advisory role. The four remaining members are in a dicey spot with limited options, but Luck’s involvement in the dilemma is interesting.

Could Luck help save the Pac-4?
It’s a long shot, but I sure feel better about the conference’s chance to survive with him around.
Stanford and Cal explored membership in the ACC this week, but appear to have met some resistance there. The Big Ten doesn’t appear to have an appetite to expand to 20 schools, yet. Meanwhile, OSU and WSU are waiting to see if the four remaining schools can find footing together before moving on individually.

“Are there four schools when all the dust settles? Is that three? Is that two? Is that one? Is that none? Your instincts are correct,” Washington State AD Pat Chun told me this week. “That’s the first step.”

That’s where Luck comes in.
He was a candidate for the Pac-12 commissioner job when George Kliavkoff was hired. Luck is a terrific back-channel operator who is deeply connected on a variety of levels. His initial task, I’m told by sources, is to evaluate the Pac-4’s assets and options.

The conference’s CEO Group now has only four board seats. The remaining members may feel adrift, but they do have some interesting and sudden control. Also, the conference still has “Autonomous 4” status and the automatic postseason berths that come with it.

The Pac-4 members may attempt to keep an imbalanced share of conference revenue in the next year. The conference expects to receive $420 million in television and postseason funds.

There’s also an “emergency fund” that had more than $40 million in it before the pandemic hit in 2020.
How much is left in the fund? Could the Pac-4 justify the use of revenue to pay San Diego State’s $34 million MWC buyout? How about SMU? Also, is there a media-rights deal out there for a reconstructed conference?

Luck will help the remaining members sort out those answers in the coming days and weeks. In the meantime, shortly before publishing this, I reached out to an executive at one of the four remaining schools with a follow-up question: Am I being naive to think rebuilding the Pac-4 is a viable option?

The answer: “No you are not.”

Reaction Score

But what about the stat just posted: the last great Nebraska teams of the early 90s had 6 Texas players on the roster.

In other words, Nebraska needed only 6 Texas kids (I don't even know who they were) to become the best team in football.

Reaction Score
Canzano: Could Oliver Luck help save the Pac-4?
Remaining four schools have hired Luck to consult.

JOHN CANZANO
AUG 11

In the course of trying to figure out what comes next for Oregon State, Washington State, Stanford and Cal, I learned something interesting.
Oliver Luck is on the scene.
He’s been hired as a consultant.

The 63-year-old has held a variety of positions in his career: NCAA executive, college athletic director, NFL quarterback and commissioner of the XFL, among them. He has four children, three of whom attended Stanford (including Andrew).

Luck declined comment for this piece but I’m told by sources that he’s been hired to serve the Pac-4 schools in an advisory role. The four remaining members are in a dicey spot with limited options, but Luck’s involvement in the dilemma is interesting.

Could Luck help save the Pac-4?
It’s a long shot, but I sure feel better about the conference’s chance to survive with him around.
Stanford and Cal explored membership in the ACC this week, but appear to have met some resistance there. The Big Ten doesn’t appear to have an appetite to expand to 20 schools, yet. Meanwhile, OSU and WSU are waiting to see if the four remaining schools can find footing together before moving on individually.

“Are there four schools when all the dust settles? Is that three? Is that two? Is that one? Is that none? Your instincts are correct,” Washington State AD Pat Chun told me this week. “That’s the first step.”

That’s where Luck comes in.
He was a candidate for the Pac-12 commissioner job when George Kliavkoff was hired. Luck is a terrific back-channel operator who is deeply connected on a variety of levels. His initial task, I’m told by sources, is to evaluate the Pac-4’s assets and options.

The conference’s CEO Group now has only four board seats. The remaining members may feel adrift, but they do have some interesting and sudden control. Also, the conference still has “Autonomous 4” status and the automatic postseason berths that come with it.

The Pac-4 members may attempt to keep an imbalanced share of conference revenue in the next year. The conference expects to receive $420 million in television and postseason funds.

There’s also an “emergency fund” that had more than $40 million in it before the pandemic hit in 2020.
How much is left in the fund? Could the Pac-4 justify the use of revenue to pay San Diego State’s $34 million MWC buyout? How about SMU? Also, is there a media-rights deal out there for a reconstructed conference?

Luck will help the remaining members sort out those answers in the coming days and weeks. In the meantime, shortly before publishing this, I reached out to an executive at one of the four remaining schools with a follow-up question: Am I being naive to think rebuilding the Pac-4 is a viable option?

The answer: “No you are not.”
Good move. Luck is the man

Reaction Score
The same Oliver Luck who’s commissioner of the new ASUN-WAC fb conference?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom